Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scottroberts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2012
I initially setup my user account with no pass, but when I try to use terminal it requires a pass. In the user accounts I tried to make a pass, but there doesnt seem to be that ability, I can change a pass but that doesnt work without an old pass. How do I overcome this little problem? The best thing would be to simply add a pass to my account, but how do I do this?

thx

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
If you have no password set, I believe you can just hit the enter key in Terminal or other areas where a password is requested.

scottroberts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2012
not so, when I simply hit return, I get a password error in terminal, other areas that is true.

MadTester

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2012
You will have to go in as root.. enable the root user first (if it's not enabled) and then set yourself a password........ once you've done that then enter terminal and use login root enter your password

HTH :)

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
You need a password when working with the Terminal. Just set one up, make sure you quit and relaunch Terminal, and use that. You can disable if you want when you're done.

jW

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.