Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orijinal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
what do we do with items that need this port now? (ie... ipod headphone remote?)

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
orijinal said:
what do we do with items that need this port now? (ie... ipod headphone remote?)

Use them on the iPod you bought them for?

EDIT: Heh, I saw that someone else said the same thing already. My bad. :D

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
NO WAY

Can I even USE the Apple headphones with the remote attachment?

OH MY GOD!

I just realized my shuffle doesn't have that extra port either...

OH ****!

I also just remembered I don't even have the remote...and they have not been included with new iPods in a while...

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Why do people want to use a remote with a device that isn't much larger than the remote to begin with? Just pretend the shuffle is the remote.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
Loge said:
Why do people want to use a remote with a device that isn't much larger than the remote to begin with? Just pretend the shuffle is the remote.

I agree the remote is pointless with a Nano as they are so small, in fact i never was a fan of the iPod remotes and never used them,

ShadOW

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
shadowmoses said:
I agree the remote is pointless with a Nano as they are so small, in fact i never was a fan of the iPod remotes and never used them,

ShadOW

my nano fell between the couch cushions already, so I think we should qualify it as a remote now.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Easy guys ... it's not just the remote, I think, but also accessories like the iTrip and stuff like that.

I would guess they could make accessories that use the dock connector instead, but obviously some accessories will not work on all iPod models in the same shape and form.

the_freddinator

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2005
SE PA
Loge said:

I'd use a remote in my room. Lying in bed reading, my radio's on the other side of the room. When my iPod is hooked up, I don't wanna get up and walk to the other side of the room because I'm comfortable. I end up listening to songs that I dont' want to listen to becuase I'm too lazy to make a 20ft round trip.

JDOG_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
Oakland
I mean there really isn't room for it in the design. It is a shame though since there's a bunch of really cool accessories that can utilize it.

Would have been nice if they moved the screen down a bit, made the screen a bit longer and put the extended port up top. Oh well.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
gekko513 said:
Easy guys ... it's not just the remote, I think, but also accessories like the iTrip and stuff like that.

I would guess they could make accessories that use the dock connector instead, but obviously some accessories will not work on all iPod models in the same shape and form.
My guess is they will plug into the dock connector. You could probably have the remote plugged into there too, but apple probably think it is just as convenient to buy the lanyard earphones and when you want to control anything, it is as close as the remote would be.

orijinal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
the ipod remote was just an example (to illustrate the use of the extended headphone port). i personally don't have any accessories besides my case for my ipod, but was just wondering because it had been on almost all the past ipods.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.