Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amcoffin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
I would like to be able to have both HDMI and VGA out on my iPad 4th Gen.

Obviously, I could buy both the Lightning Digital AV Adapter and the Lightning VGA adapter (at a combined cost of about $100).

I'm wondering, though, if I can buy the Digital AV adapter and then use a product like this HDMI to VGA cable:

Cable Matters Gold Plated Premium HDMI to VGA Active M/F Adapter

Does anyone have any experience with this or a similar product, either with the previous generation Digital AV adapter, or, preferably, the new Lightning adapter?

xtalicious

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2010
I'm interested in a solution like this as well. When I looked into it some time ago, I didn't think it was possible without a large cumbersome active converter. However, the link the OP posted seems to have miniaturized the solution into a dongle-like assembly. The reviews look good, at least.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I don't see why it wouldn't work. Of course you won't get audio when going to HDMI to VGA, but I assume you already know that.

amcoffin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
I don't see why it wouldn't work. Of course you won't get audio when going to HDMI to VGA, but I assume you already know that.

Yes, thanks. The VGA out will just be used for Keynote presentations...

I may have to give this a shot. Reviews do seem generally good. What I'm trying to figure out is how finicky the adapter is--if it will not consistently work with a broad range of projectors, it will not be a reliable option for presentations.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
The only reason it wouldn't work on all projectors is if they don't support 1280x720 since that's what the iPad's mirroring resolution is set to.

Personally, I'd just buy both Lightning adapters since with the HDMI to VGA plus shipping, you're only about 30 bucks away from owning both Apple versions. Plus, it's safe to assume they'll work every time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.