PDA

View Full Version : Audio In through soundcard Versus External USB/Firewire Interface

aiterum
Nov 21, 2012, 05:51 PM
Hey everybody,

I've got a 2008 mpb (See signature) that I have been using for a long time to record with, and have been interested in upgrading some of my recording equipment for a while now. I have been using a small 6 channel behringer mixer and going from the output on that mixer into the audio-in on my macbook pro. However, I was wondering if you guys think that purchasing an external device (eg M-Audio Fast Track, one of the Focusrites etc) would result in an improvement in sound quality based on their pre-amps, audio input into the computer, etc.

I have a KSM27 condenser that I use for vocals, etc, and am also thinking of upgrading to something else instead, but wondering if its worth it to upgrade the mic if I have problems with the interface first off. I have issues with buzzing and noise sometimes through my soundcard/mixer, and latency if I use Reaper (not so much if I use adobe audition, interestingly enough) and things like that

I'm afraid I'm a bit behind on the digital age of recording sometimes, as I understand a lot of the software, and the actual equipment (microphones, speakers, etc) but not the interfaces so much for recording, so if You guys have any advice or input on this issue. If the answer is that I should get an external USB/firewire device, what should I get for the under 200/300 dollar price range?