Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

polak9pete

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
my iPhone 5 battery was horrible in the first little while I got it especially at night when I was sleeping my battery would drain anywhere from 40-60% overnight but during the day with heavy use it wouldn't drain as quick (weird)

anyways I figured out my problem was that while locked my phone was constantly trying to connect to wifi and switching between 3G and LTE because my house just happens to be at the edge of LTE service in my area but recently Rogers released a carrier update (13.1) which improved my LTE and it made the connection stronger in my house so it wouldn't go back and forth anymore

second of all my room is 2 floors away from my router which makes the signal not the strongest but I recently upgraded to a better newer dual band router which significantly improved wifi in my house and it is literally never disconnecting anymore

my battery only drains no more than 4-5% overnight now and I'm super happy

point is the battery problem could be anything but just letting you guys know incase it affects any of you make sure u have a decent wifi signal or turn LTE off overnight

heyyoudvd

macrumors regular
May 13, 2011
I've had battery issues related to wi-fi as well, but I think it has more to do with the iTunes Wi-Fi Sync feature. My wi-fi sync has been broken most of the time since I upgraded to iOS 6.

I've noticed that if I plug my iPhone into my computer, close iTunes, stop and retart the Apple Mobile Device within the Services menu (Windows 7), and then reopen iTunes, the wi-fi sync option works again, and my battery seems to do quite well. But if I don't do that for a couple days, the wi-fi sync option becomes greyed out (ie. it doesn't work) and my battery life really deteriorates.

If I had to guess, I'd say there's some wi-fi sync issue, whereby my phone is continually trying (and failing) to connect, which really hurts the battery.

I hope iOS 6.1 fixes this problem.

lazybump91

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2012
For iphone 4s, I always off all the apps, wifi and cellular data if I really want to use it for the next day. If not, the phone may drain more than 10%, even if I off it it still will drain 2-3% overnight. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.