Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dadioh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
Canada Eh?
I just ordered a refurbished base model 2011 Mac Mini that I will be using as a video server (running Plex) to stream to my other Macs/iPads/iPhones in the house. I have a 4 disk external USB enclosure that contains the video library. I have SSD's in all my Macs so I don't want this one to feel left out :)

The refurb will arrive with Lion installed (from what I can discern) with a Mountain Lion update available by filling out a form with my purchase details. Not sure how long before I get the coupon to allow me to install ML.

Here are the steps I plan to take:

1) Put the Mac Mini in target disk mode (attached to my iMac) and copy the partition with Super Duper to my new SSD mounted in a HDD Dock. (I know I will be missing the recovery partition).

2) Open up the Mini and replace the HDD with the newly copied SSD.

3) Reset SMC and PRAM. Boot up into Lion.

4) Run Lion installer from a USB Thumb Drive to restore the recovery partition.

5) Once I get the ML coupon from Apple use it to download/install ML from the App store.

Can anyone see any issues with this approach? I read some stuff on the Mac Mini 2012 models where a regular Lion install would not work properly with the new machines but I am guessing this won't be a problem on my 2011 model.

Many Thanks

Dadioh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
Canada Eh?
Thinking things through... Since i have to pull the whole thing apart to replace the HDD I might as well make use of the 500GB drive that comes with it. I am thinking I will go ahead and roll my own fusion drive using the OWC kit and the command line. I am not sure if that rules out the SuperDuper method. Sounds like the guides suggest a Time Machine backup process.

So many choices...

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
I just got a 2011 Mini 2.5/Radeon refurb with Lion from a 3rd party seller on Ebay, and was able to get the Mountain Lion upgrade free. After submitting a scan of the sales receipt it took a few hours to get an email back with the access code. Note, submitting the email receipt to Apple as a .jpg file didn't work for some reason (it kept saying "receipt not attached, file was too small?), so I took a picture of the receipt with my 8MP Nokia camera, and submitted that as a 1MB .jpg file, and the Apple system accepted it, and sent my ML upgrade.

Dadioh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
Canada Eh?
I just got a 2011 Mini 2.5/Radeon refurb with Lion from a 3rd party seller on Ebay, and was able to get the Mountain Lion upgrade free. After submitting a scan of the sales receipt it took a few hours to get an email back with the access code. Note, submitting the email receipt to Apple as a .jpg file didn't work for some reason (it kept saying "receipt not attached, file was too small?), so I took a picture of the receipt with my 8MP Nokia camera, and submitted that as a 1MB .jpg file, and the Apple system accepted it, and sent my ML upgrade.

Good to know. So it could be just a few hours to get the code? For some reason I was thinking it would take longer than that (days or weeks).

Since I bought this from the Apple Online Store I was assuming I would just submit the electronic copy of the invoice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.