PDA

View Full Version : Heat Dissipating Solutions for Portables

Peter Griffin
Sep 15, 2005, 08:37 AM
I use an iBook and find the heat on the left side to be unbearable at times. I'm not sure if upgrading the HD to 80 gb had anything to do with this, if anyone can tell me it'd be great. Anyways, I decided to start this thread for all of us to post solutions to the immense heat generated by laptops. I use an iBook so I cannot even imagine how hot a PowerBook can get.

As for me, I prefer to use it on a flat surface (usually coffee table) with 4 blocks on the bottom hoisting it up since I'm too cheap to go out and get an iCurve. Putting it on my lap isn't really an option since I'd like to have children one day ;)

Whats yours?

Yoyodyne
Sep 15, 2005, 08:46 AM
Upgrading your hard drive capacity did not make your iBook hotter in performance. Even if you had an 80 GB 5400 RPM, you wouldn't have a tangible difference. Your best option is, if you aren't doing any rendering, lower the processor to Automatic or Reduced. Automatic helps a bit and you don't see a huge hit in performance, but Reduced will make your iBook much cooler. Although, you will definitely see a slow-down effect by using the Reduced setting.

After G
Sep 15, 2005, 07:40 PM
My iBook reaches 75 C with no cooling, and the palmrests felt warm.

The way I cool my iBook is with an iBreeze. Keeps it nice and cool to the touch. Haven't been tempted to read the temperature with the iBreeze, strangely. I only look if it's hot.

Peter Griffin
Sep 15, 2005, 07:55 PM
Upgrading your hard drive capacity did not make your iBook hotter in performance. Even if you had an 80 GB 5400 RPM, you wouldn't have a tangible difference. Your best option is, if you aren't doing any rendering, lower the processor to Automatic or Reduced. Automatic helps a bit and you don't see a huge hit in performance, but Reduced will make your iBook much cooler. Although, you will definitely see a slow-down effect by using the Reduced setting.

Where can I lower the processor to Automatic and how much does this hinder my iBook's performance? I don't do any graphic intensive work btw.

iGary
Sep 15, 2005, 07:56 PM
Where can I lower the processor to Automatic and how much does this hinder my iBook's performance? I don't do any graphic intensive work btw.

Energy settings...it is not your hard drive...the processor is kind of back left on the logic board.

nbs2
Sep 15, 2005, 08:00 PM
energy settings in system preferences. the easiest (laziest) way there is through the battery meter in the menu bar. open energy saver, click on the options tab, and the pull down menu is there for you to see.

i don't know how much it hinders, but when i am in class and reduce (usually b/c of low battery life) i don't notice a lag unless i have several applications running - usually i have ical, mail, address book, safari, word, itunes and several widgets. if itis just word, ical and mail, i don't notice much of a slowdown.

dollystereo
Sep 15, 2005, 09:09 PM
My iBook reaches 75 C with no cooling, and the palmrests felt warm.

The way I cool my iBook is with an iBreeze. Keeps it nice and cool to the touch. Haven't been tempted to read the temperature with the iBreeze, strangely. I only look if it's hot.
WTF!!!!! 75 C, my 17" 1.5GHZ Pb only gets 52, and thats a lot!!!
that machine is faulty for sure!

Peter Griffin
Sep 15, 2005, 09:26 PM
WTF!!!!! 75 C, my 17" 1.5GHZ Pb only gets 52, and thats a lot!!!
that machine is faulty for sure!

My iBook can run up to 65+ on some light gaming. 50ish on regular use.

sikkinixx
Sep 15, 2005, 09:45 PM
i only use mine for notes during class with it all reduced etc. to save battery life. I havent had the fan go on during class (yet!) whihc is good cuz on my lil 12" powerbook the fan can get pretty loud. btw how do you check computer temp?