PDA

View Full Version : AT&T Offers Refurbished iPhone 5 Starting at $99

MacRumors
Nov 23, 2012, 12:18 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/23/att-offers-refurbished-iphone-5-starting-at-99/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/11/iphone51.jpgAT&T (http://www.att.com/shop/wireless.html) is now offering refurbished iPhone 5 devices at a $100 discount from their usual price. The new offer was noted by 9to5Mac (http://9to5mac.com/2012/11/22/att-first-to-offer-refurbished-iphone-5-units-for-sale-starting-at-99/).

Customers are still required to sign up for a 2 year contract, as with the regular iPhone 5.

AT&T appears to be offering all permutations of color and size. The discount across the board for the refurbished units is $100 from the up front cost.

- 16GB Black iPhone 5 (http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/apple/iphone/5-16gb-black-refurb.html) - $99
- 32GB Black iPhone 5 (http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/apple/iphone/5-32gb-black-refurb.html) - $199
- 64GB Black iPhone 5 (http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/apple/iphone/5-64gb-black-refurb.html) - $299

- 16GB White iPhone 5 (http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/apple/iphone/5-16gb-white-refurb.html) - $99
- 32GB White iPhone 5 (http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/apple/iphone/5-32gb-white-refurb.html) - $199
- 64GB White iPhone 5 (http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/apple/iphone/5-64gb-white-refurb.html) - $299

The refurbished iPhones are available online-only.

Article Link: AT&T Offers Refurbished iPhone 5 Starting at $99 (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/23/att-offers-refurbished-iphone-5-starting-at-99/)

viperGTS
Nov 23, 2012, 12:21 AM
Betting these are the scratched up ones that people have been trading in lately. :D

MarximusMG
Nov 23, 2012, 12:21 AM
Pretty impressive pricing. Wonder how long stock will last.

dukebound85
Nov 23, 2012, 12:27 AM
Permanent or just for Black Friday?

xionxiox
Nov 23, 2012, 12:36 AM
YES! i hope the supplies lasts until my upgrade

jmsait19
Nov 23, 2012, 12:37 AM
Bought a refurb 4 for my wife, couple years ago... Like typical Apple refurbs, it came in perfect condition. Kinda bummed we already bought 5's, because I'd have no problem doing this again.

arn
Nov 23, 2012, 12:38 AM
Permanent or just for Black Friday?

seems likely to stick around (as supplies last)

arn

nickpro
Nov 23, 2012, 01:24 AM
Has this ever happened this fast?

There's no doubt in my mind this is due to the scratchability of the 5's and the over-abundance of swapped and now refurbished units.

Blackberryroid
Nov 23, 2012, 01:58 AM
No matter how desperate I am for a product, I'll never get a refurbished one.

siurpeeman
Nov 23, 2012, 02:28 AM
curious to know if one could purchase applecare+ on one of these.

Jessica Lares
Nov 23, 2012, 02:45 AM
Not bad. It'll be $0 on contract by next year though at this rate.

cc2096
Nov 23, 2012, 03:53 AM

^^This...

RealSkyDiver
Nov 23, 2012, 04:07 AM
^^This...

You can use Applercare+ with refurbished phones from ATT, but I wonder if you can exchange them when they come scratched (which really shouldn't be the case).
Maybe calling up ATT and ask them?

mjcxp
Nov 23, 2012, 04:37 AM
They also have on the premier website refurbed for $399 without contract. Picked one up to go along with my 64GB black.

Pakaku
Nov 23, 2012, 04:40 AM

What's wrong with saving a little money on a refurbished product? It's not the same as buying used

okwhatev
Nov 23, 2012, 04:44 AM
They also have on the premier website refurbed for $399 without contract. Picked one up to go along with my 64GB black.

Link? NOW?! :P

mjcxp
Nov 23, 2012, 04:47 AM
http://slickdeals.net/f/5558480-Refurbished-Iphone-5-No-Commitment-Price-starting-399-99-Att-com-Premier?&page=10

I got a white one to go with my black whenever I wanna switch it up.

okwhatev
Nov 23, 2012, 05:00 AM
Wish I had a premier account. Sadness. :(

designs216
Nov 23, 2012, 06:19 AM
Sounds good until you consider the $2400 you'll pay to be shackled to AT&T for 2 years.

kthnxshwn
Nov 23, 2012, 06:28 AM
Sounds good until you consider the $2400 you'll pay to be shackled to AT&T for 2 years.

Welcome to the real world.

Thunderhawks
Nov 23, 2012, 09:10 AM

You can save that and even more by not using any phone!

Why not stop eating too?

Big expense!

jayducharme
Nov 23, 2012, 09:29 AM
With a deal like that, why would anyone bother with a 4S?

Bill.the.Cat
Nov 23, 2012, 09:38 AM
Welcome to the real world.

The real world I live in allows me to buy a no-contract iPhone and operate it on an AT&T MVNO for $10 a month.

FF_productions
Nov 23, 2012, 10:09 AM
What's the warranty on this?

evansls
Nov 23, 2012, 10:42 AM
Thank you for posting this. I wouldn't have known about it otherwise. I upgraded my wife's iphone 4 to a 16gb iphone 5. she will be thrilled

FooMan2011
Nov 23, 2012, 10:53 AM
Here's what pisses me off. I just upgraded two line a week ago and paid $199 plus tax each, for two iP5. I'm always a day late and a dollar short. Or in my case, a week early and more money to blow....

stevensocal
Nov 23, 2012, 10:55 AM
I won't buy a referb phone, it's a 50/50 chance you wil get a lemon. I work in the cell phone biz and I see what comes back for refer.. NO THANKS... Pay the extra 100.00 get in the STORE .. Not online .. Have the right experience of enjoying the best phone in the world , first hand , if you can't afford full price DON'T BUY ONE.

kthnxshwn
Nov 23, 2012, 11:02 AM
The real world I live in allows me to buy a no-contract iPhone and operate it on an AT&T MVNO for $10 a month.

That sounds nice, but it doesn't allow you to get it for $99.

Glideslope
Nov 23, 2012, 11:20 AM

Then you have no experience with Apple Refurbs. They are fully warrantied for 1 yr. Are Apple Care Eligible, and in LN condition.

My MP 2.8 Early 2008 was a refurb almost 4.5 years ago. It has run virtually 24-7 since Oct 2008. I've owned refurbished iPhones, iPods, iMacs. In fact the only new Macs I've owned are my Notebooks.

So educate yourself on Apple Refurbs. It aint "Geek Squad". :apple:

PNutts
Nov 23, 2012, 11:43 AM
Here's what pisses me off. I just upgraded two line a week ago and paid $199 plus tax each, for two iP5. I'm always a day late and a dollar short. Or in my case, a week early and more money to blow....

lol - But it's always like that. A coworker of mine is *cheap* and he never gets anything because he knows it will be cheaper later. Had a dumbphone up until this year.

designs216
Nov 23, 2012, 11:49 AM

OK, give details. I use StraightTalk but with fees the monthly cost is around $48...

ravenvii
Nov 23, 2012, 11:55 AM
I won't buy a referb phone, it's a 50/50 chance you wil get a lemon. I work in the cell phone biz and I see what comes back for refer.. NO THANKS... Pay the extra 100.00 get in the STORE .. Not online .. Have the right experience of enjoying the best phone in the world , first hand , if you can't afford full price DON'T BUY ONE.

If you work in the "cell phone biz" then you should know that refurbished iPhones are covered by the same warranty as new ones, and thus if you get a lemon... swap for another. Just the same as if you got a new phone and find it's a lemon.

PNutts
Nov 23, 2012, 12:05 PM

At best it's disingenuous to compare a $10/month plan to a $100/month plan.

But yes, you can take a no-contract smartphone (which typically costs more than a subsidised handset) and put it on a cheaper monthly plan (that has more restrictions than a more expensive one) and save money.

Bill.the.Cat
Nov 23, 2012, 12:24 PM
That sounds nice, but it doesn't allow you to get it for $99.

I'd take $649 for a full price phone (as the 5 is likely to be once contract demand is satisfied) + $10/month for two years over $2400 + $99 for the phone over two years. It's not for everyone but works great for me and a growing number of others. Sounds like maybe the "real world" you live in and the "real world" I live in are different, nothing wrong with that.

At best it's disingenuous to compare a $10/month plan to a $100/month plan.

Not everyone needs a $100/mo. plan. With wi-fi at home and at work I have minimal needs for data, text/MMS, and airtime.

OK, give details. I use StraightTalk but with fees the monthly cost is around $48...

Airvoice wireless $10/month plan plus Talkatone app (and Google Voice number). Data is admittedly quite pricey, but again I don't really need to use it that much when in wi-fi range (and can use Talkatone for voice).

Medic311
Nov 23, 2012, 01:03 PM
are these Apple certified refurbs or are they Asurion refurbs? there is a HUGE difference...

Trooper Sam
Nov 23, 2012, 01:33 PM
I doubt these are Apple refurbs, as Apple doesn't have any of these on their own store as refurbs. They'll likely have whatever warranty remains on them, but that's it.

MyMacintosh
Nov 23, 2012, 02:27 PM

Never have I EVER received a scratched up refurbished product (Laptops, phones, tvs, etc). In fact alot of times refurbished is my first choice. I highly doubt you know what you're talking about no offense. Perhaps you're talking about the products you see BEFORE they are refurbed?

Ecoh
Nov 23, 2012, 03:16 PM
I have no problem with Apple refurbished products, but the ATT refurbs are done by ATT, and not as nice as Apple.

At least that is my experience when I tried to buy a refurbed iPhone 4 at ATT last year. The phone was scuffed and dirty out of the box. The sales person told me the refurbs are phones that have been returned to ATT. Whatever reason for which the original buyer returned it, if the box was opened it has to be sold as refurb. The working ones are checked over by their techs, cleaned and put back in the boxes.

eastercat
Nov 23, 2012, 03:16 PM
If you're talking about an at&t refurb, then I'd probably agree. I don't think they do the due diligence in fixing them up.
On the other hand, apple refurbs are pretty good. They go through an inspection and are in like new shape.

Fruit Cake
Nov 23, 2012, 03:28 PM
Ahhh so that's where all the scuffed phones wound up? Remember these aren't apple refurbs, AT&T are selling them, so they might not have the same level of quality as one from an apple shop.

thadoggfather
Nov 23, 2012, 03:58 PM
If there's something wrong with them get a Genius Bar swap? This phone is still new so all of them will definitely still be within warranty.

And given people have problems with new in box ones and iPhone 5 is a crapshoot in quality all together, I'd gladly take the 100 extra off if I don't already renew mine.

I was thinking at earliest we'd see this beginning of next year. Guess it makes sense given ten million returns!

noisycats
Nov 23, 2012, 04:10 PM

Yes you can. I just did.

----------

Then you have no experience with Apple Refurbs. They are fully warrantied for 1 yr. Are Apple Care Eligible, and in LN condition.

My MP 2.8 Early 2008 was a refurb almost 4.5 years ago. It has run virtually 24-7 since Oct 2008. I've owned refurbished iPhones, iPods, iMacs. In fact the only new Macs I've owned are my Notebooks.

So educate yourself on Apple Refurbs. It aint "Geek Squad". :apple:

Let him live in his bliss, ignorant or otherwise. More refurb product/savings for us!

Trius
Nov 23, 2012, 05:55 PM

That's silly, especially when dealing with Apple products.

ixodes
Nov 23, 2012, 06:12 PM
With a deal like that, why would anyone bother with a 4S?

Because many people find the 4S a better phone.

Not everyone buys into the "gotta have the latest to be happy" mentality.

Kenn Marks
Nov 23, 2012, 07:05 PM

It depends on the refurb provider. The last 6 of the last 10 Apple products I've purchased have been refurbs (store.apple.com - Refurbished sale tag in left column), never had a problem and all portable devices were eligible to have AppleCare even though some were 2 generations old. I've have not been able to confirm AppleCare on these AT&T refurbs and that plays a major role in my decision to purchase from this source. Apple confirmed they did not have refurbs of iPhone 5s at this time and that AT&T must provide the warranty coverage. I could not contact AT&T on Black Friday to confirm warranty coverage if any. I will update this post if I finally get through to someone at AT&T. :(

----------

Never have I EVER received a scratched up refurbished product (Laptops, phones, tvs, etc). In fact alot of times refurbished is my first choice. I highly doubt you know what you're talking about no offense. Perhaps you're talking about the products you see BEFORE they are refurbed?

Since this is still under warrantee and possibly under AppleCare you just take it to the Genius Bar and get an official Apple replacement (new or refurbed who can tell the difference);)

----------

So I'm going to be paying "$2400" over the next two years on my out of contract 3GS why not save $100 on a 32GB iPhone 5 (16GB just doesn't hack it any more) and get all the features I can't use in iOS 6 on a 3GS:D

crees!
Nov 23, 2012, 07:58 PM
It depends on the refurb provider. The last 6 of the last 10 Apple products I've purchased have been refurbs (store.apple.com - Refurbished sale tag in left column), never had a problem and all portable devices were eligible to have AppleCare even though some were 2 generations old. I've have not been able to confirm AppleCare on these AT&T refurbs and that plays a major role in my decision to purchase from this source. Apple confirmed they did not have refurbs of iPhone 5s at this time and that AT&T must provide the warranty coverage. I could not contact AT&T on Black Friday to confirm warranty coverage if any. I will update this post if I finally get through to someone at AT&T. :(

I called apple and they said you can purchase AppleCare+ for an AT&T refurb. Curious if someone gets a different response.

philden
Nov 23, 2012, 07:58 PM
I bought an AT&T refurbed iPhone 4 a few months ago at a very good price. It looked in perfect condition. The USB cable was faulty and easily replaced, but the phone was fine.

Phil.

Bill.the.Cat
Nov 23, 2012, 08:02 PM
Apple confirmed they did not have refurbs of iPhone 5s at this time and that AT&T must provide the warranty coverage.

Does Apple themselves ever sell phone refurbs? I was under the impression they left that completely to the service providers themselves. I'd love to be able to buy an Apple refurbed off-contract iPhone.

Kenn Marks
Nov 23, 2012, 08:32 PM
I called apple and they said you can purchase AppleCare+ for an AT&T refurb. Curious if someone gets a different response.

Just placed my order with the help of Robert @ AT&T Customer Service and he confirmed with Apple that all I have to do is bring my new (refurb) iPhone into an Apple Store with my receipt and after inspection they will add AppleCare+ to my unit.

As to the previous poster Apple does have iPhones on its refurb site but only when it gets an excess that it can't use for replacement units or that are not wanted by particular carriers due to over stock.

Cevap
Nov 23, 2012, 08:39 PM
Picked one up just now. Thanks OP!

mopppish
Nov 23, 2012, 09:07 PM
Wish it was $100 off full price.
My gf just had her brand new 5 stolen in Brazil.
I've been tying to figure out a way to justify buying her another one.
$100 cheaper plus a bit of insurance money (plus the cash I would fetch for selling my sister's 4) would have maaaaybe tipped me over.

Eduardo1971
Nov 23, 2012, 10:05 PM
Ah just missed out.
It does appear that this was a limited time deal.

I was going to order a white 16gb iPhone 5.
The refurbished price is now $149.99.

Boo!

RealSkyDiver
Nov 24, 2012, 12:18 AM
It's $349 for a black 64GB for me. Anyone else having this price?

screensaver400
Nov 24, 2012, 01:15 AM
Yep. Looks like the $99/$199/$299 prices were Black Friday only. Shame. I was going to buy one, but will now wait.

iPunish901
Nov 24, 2012, 03:02 AM
what a sneaky deal....:mad:

i was ready to jump on this....

Gemütlichkeit
Nov 24, 2012, 08:44 AM
Sorry AT&T not going back to your service with your $85 lame plan. Cut that in half for low data users and you'll get my $ again.

obamtl
Nov 24, 2012, 09:02 AM
Betting these are the scratched up ones that people have been trading in lately. :D

Yes, and no. I understand that Apple swap out the cases of refurbished phones as standard, so it will likely be in pristine condition if it's an Apple condition, even if it was originally scratched before getting sent back.

Missmonie
Nov 24, 2012, 09:22 AM
I purchased this deal yesterday. The att rep on the phone said the phone goes through a thorough check and all outer casing and the screen is replaced so the phone is essentially brand new. I hope that's true! I've had several refurbished blackberrys from Verizon and they were always like new.

aerok
Nov 24, 2012, 11:01 AM
You can save that and even more by not using any phone!

Why not stop eating too?

Big expense!

Because not eating kills you?

Justinf79
Nov 24, 2012, 12:25 PM
Wow, glad I bought mine when I did. :)

WestonHarvey1
Nov 24, 2012, 02:40 PM

You must have a weird definition of desperate then.

charlituna
Nov 24, 2012, 03:35 PM
are these Apple certified refurbs or are they Asurion refurbs? there is a HUGE difference...

They aren't likely Apple refurbs since those would go on their own store

Bill.the.Cat
Nov 24, 2012, 05:25 PM
They aren't likely Apple refurbs since those would go on their own store

Where in the Apple online store can you find phone refurbs?

Thunderhawks
Nov 24, 2012, 07:29 PM
Because not eating kills you?

Takes a while.

With enough water you could hold out until the ATT contract is over and as I wrote save a lot of money.

This in response to the poster complaining about a two year contract with ATT for a non-essential item.

BTW:
The longest person living without food was Irom Chanu Sharmila who didn't eat for 500 weeks.

Blakjack
Nov 25, 2012, 08:44 AM
#Big

RedCroissant
Nov 25, 2012, 10:29 AM

Just call AT&T and ask if there's anything they can do considering you just bought it. Especially since it should still be within the return/exchange timeframe, maybe you could ask them that if they are at all resistant to providing any assistance.

The reason I am so optimistic about AT&T's customer service is because they have always been helpful to me. I call to find ways to save money, and they have always found a way to help me. Yes, I know they're really expensive, but for the most part, it's not too bad. I'm also in an area that has a faulty tower that likes to fail every couple months, so when I referenced past issues regarding inability to connect over 4G throughout the time I have owned my 4S, the rep simply credited me an amount for the entire time I've owned the phone. I was credited $250 for their inability to provide a service that I paid for, they reversed an accident made by a rep that change my data plan to the 3GB plan instead of the 300MB plan I requested, and the rep made sure that I was enrolled in their sponsorship program to receive discounts based on my being a college student. My next bill will only be $30, and the next bills after that will only be $130-ish; and that's for two iPhones.

Sorry for the long post, but calling them might accomplish more than you might expect.

----------

I know people have already responded to this, but I actually get a lot of refurbished and used electronics that have given me no problems whatsoever.

I bought an AppleTV2, iMac 21.5", and an iPhone 3GS refurbished, and they have all been great. I even sold the ATV2(since it can be jailbroken) for more than I paid for it.

I also in August bought an iBook G4(1.33GHz, 1.5GB RAM) and an iMac G5 that were both refurbished by a reseller(not Apple) and they have been great.

You might be surprised how much a refurbished product will save you and how it performs just as well as a new product.

olegandbuster25
Nov 25, 2012, 02:40 PM
Wh

Daniel L
Nov 25, 2012, 03:42 PM
Wish it was $100 off full price.
My gf just had her brand new 5 stolen in Brazil.
I've been tying to figure out a way to justify buying her another one.
$100 cheaper plus a bit of insurance money (plus the cash I would fetch for selling my sister's 4) would have maaaaybe tipped me over.

The real deal was that it was $250 off full price with no contract commitment. $399 for a 16GB. Too bad it's not available anymore.

doodads
Nov 25, 2012, 04:24 PM
Bought a refurb 4 for my wife, couple years ago... Like typical Apple refurbs, it came in perfect condition. Kinda bummed we already bought 5's, because I'd have no problem doing this again.

These aren't Apple refurbs, they are AT&T refurbs.

----------

What's the warranty on this?

When I bought a refurbised iPhone 4 from AT&T, the Apple warranty applied based on the original purchase date of the phone. If you give Apple your serial number, they can tell you when the original owner bought it and how much warranty is left. For these refurbs at this point, the end of the warranty is likely to be next June or July.

screensaver400
Nov 25, 2012, 06:31 PM
For these refurbs at this point, the end of the warranty is likely to be next June or July.

iPhone 5 only went on sale September 21, 2012. Since a one-year warranty is standard, the earliest warranty end date is one year from that date.

Jeremy1026
Nov 25, 2012, 08:07 PM
The longest person living without food was Irom Chanu Sharmila who didn't eat for 500 weeks.

Next time you decide to use Wikipedia as a source, you should check their sources for more details. Specifically the article (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/a-decade-of-starvation-for-irom-sharmila-2124608.html) posted by 'The Independent', which states, "Sharmila, who is force-fed a mixture of liquified carbohydrates and proteins by a nasal tube three times a day."

Please allow me to explain that being on a hunger strike, and not taking in nutrients are two very different things. On average, a human will live between 30 and 60 days without taking in nutrients.

Having a carbohydrate and protein based paste fed to you through a feeding tube would cost money, and negate your "don't eat to save money" view point.

TL;DR Version - You are wrong, and your point is invalid.

mscriv
Nov 26, 2012, 12:16 AM
When I bought a refurbised iPhone 4 from AT&T, the Apple warranty applied based on the original purchase date of the phone. If you give Apple your serial number, they can tell you when the original owner bought it and how much warranty is left.

Just thought I would echo this. My wife and I bought refurb iPhone 4's through At&t almost two years ago and this was the case for us. We plugged in the serial numbers at Apple's website and found out when each phone's warranty expired. We could have purchased Applecare to extend the warranty, but chose not to do so. Our refurbs have been great and were cosmetically excellent. The plan is that sometime soon we will buy iPhone 5 refurbs to upgrade.

Edgecrusherr
Nov 26, 2012, 07:04 AM
It's $349 for a black 64GB for me. Anyone else having this price?

Yep, says $349 for me too.

Ironically I JUST bought the 64GB iPhone 5 last night at Best Buy for the $399. Although, I got $30 off in Best Buy rewards, so my total after tax was a hair under $399. For $299 ($100 difference) I was kicking myself for not seeing this article yesterday, but for $50 difference, I'd rather have new. $100=kick-self, $50=rather have new lol

Thunderhawks
Nov 26, 2012, 07:29 AM
Next time you decide to use Wikipedia as a source, you should check their sources for more details. Specifically the article (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/a-decade-of-starvation-for-irom-sharmila-2124608.html) posted by 'The Independent', which states, "Sharmila, who is force-fed a mixture of liquified carbohydrates and proteins by a nasal tube three times a day."

Please allow me to explain that being on a hunger strike, and not taking in nutrients are two very different things. On average, a human will live between 30 and 60 days without taking in nutrients.

Having a carbohydrate and protein based paste fed to you through a feeding tube would cost money, and negate your "don't eat to save money" view point.

TL;DR Version - You are wrong, and your point is invalid.

It is not my viewpoint "don't eat to save money", it was an over the top remark taken to the extreme about saving money.

Having an iphone is not an essential part of being able to live (although some make it seem so), but that poster makes it sound as if it is by complaining about the contract fee.

So, if his/her point is to save money, why not use every possible way?

The fact that you eventually die if you don't eat is obvious.

GoCubsGo
Nov 26, 2012, 07:43 AM

That's just silly. Do you know what refurbished iPads and iPhones are these days? They were sold with either a minor defect or no defect at all but returned by people who either ordered one and found one in store, decided there was some issue with theirs that was probably a non-issue, or there was a true issue. Apple fixes everything and they go through a better level of QC than your new device.

If I were looking to switch I'd get this in a heartbeat.

VanityBonet
Nov 26, 2012, 07:57 AM
before i buy the iphone 5 from my four can somebody tell me if the new supply of the iphone is scratch resistant ?

nburwell
Nov 26, 2012, 10:49 AM

Haha, I was thinking the same exact thing. But I'm sure there are a lot of customers who are in the dark about "scratchgate".

tomashi
Nov 26, 2012, 02:27 PM
Scratched up? You guys are kidding or retarded right? You know Apple puts a new shell on everything that is refurbished.

PinoyAko
Nov 26, 2012, 09:07 PM
Does anyone bought or ordered and received this 99 iPhone already?

achtungfemme
Nov 26, 2012, 09:09 PM
Seems as though the refurbs are sold out and AT&T's website has been screwy all day as I was trying to upgrade.

The weirdest thing is that when I add an iPhone 4S refurb as a NEW customer, they are in stock and I can purchase them. But as an UPGRADE they are out of stock. I mentioned this to the support chat person and he just kept saying they were out of stock and pointed me in the direction of other great phone models they had on sale today.

What the frick is going on?!!

Anyone else have this issue?

macs4nw
Nov 26, 2012, 10:14 PM

I can't comment on refurbs, in general; I guess it's 'buyer beware'. Having said that, if these are APPLE refurbs, one needn't worry. You're hard pressed to distinguish them from 'new', plus full warranty, and available APPLE-CARE; they are good deals.

.....BTW: The longest person living without food was Irom Chanu Sharmila who didn't eat for 500 weeks.

That's well over 9.5 years. Find that hard to believe, source please?

Frag01
Nov 26, 2012, 10:43 PM
Has anyone received a shipping notice on their refurb iPhone? My status still says processing - ordered Saturday night.

severe
Nov 27, 2012, 04:15 AM
Does anyone bought or ordered and received this 99 iPhone already?

Has anyone received a shipping notice on their refurb iPhone? My status still says processing - ordered Saturday night.

I ordered my iPhone 5 by phone on Friday morning. At that time I'd asked on a delivery estimation and was happy to hear it would be 7-10 days.

However, Saturday afternoon I'd received an email from AT&T confirming its shipment via FedEx, with an estimated delivery time of Monday afternoon.

I'd received my iPhone by 1:30 this afternoon. It's in absolute pristine condition. Not a single scratch or scuff.

jr21ncali
Nov 27, 2012, 04:18 AM
I ordered Friday and received it on Monday and came in Mint condition, not a single scratch. :D

justjohn025
Nov 27, 2012, 09:56 AM
Now it only shows 32GB and 64GB refurbished.

iJimrod
Nov 27, 2012, 10:16 AM
I bought one of these gems on Friday, after a long verification of it's eligibility for Apple Care Plus.

Received it on Monday in pristine shape... w00t!

Called Apple to verify Apple Care Plus eligibility this morning, and was told... NO.

Called ATT, drove to local store, and swapped for a new one.

Bottom Line, these units are ATT Refurbs and not Apple Refurbs.

Buyer Beware!

Jimbo Asprilla
Nov 27, 2012, 11:45 AM

Same for me, I called today and they said they were still waiting on delivery of stock, I'm gutted, I ordered mine on Friday and instantly put my 4S on eBay, looks like I will be without an iPhone for a while.

JesseW6889
Nov 27, 2012, 01:29 PM

MV-what-now?

Builddesign
Nov 27, 2012, 02:33 PM
:(...Somehow my iphone 5 seems less special.

sbddude
Nov 27, 2012, 02:57 PM
My CC was just charged the full $399+tax.

pommephone
Nov 27, 2012, 03:05 PM
I spoke with an AT&T Rep yesterday about their refurbished iPhone 5 warranty: 90 days.

There are conflicting posts in this thread bout the AT&T refurb's eligibility for applecare. Has anyone been able to add applecare to a AT&T refurbed iPhone 5

mook101
Nov 27, 2012, 03:06 PM
I ordered a 32gb white phone on Friday and mine still says that the order is processing. Plus I have already been charged. Hope the status changes soon!!!

pommephone
Nov 27, 2012, 03:34 PM
Just got off the phone with "Ron" at Applecare. The basic Applecare IS available for AT&T refurbished iPhones.

The Applecare PLUS is only available if you were lucky enough to get a refurb that is within 30 days of its original purchase- so basically NOT for ACPlus.

HDJulie
Nov 27, 2012, 04:02 PM
I ordered a 32gb white phone on Friday and mine still says that the order is processing. Plus I have already been charged. Hope the status changes soon!!!

Same for me except 32GB Black.

----------

Just got off the phone with "Ron" at Applecare. The basic Applecare IS available for AT&T refurbished iPhones.

The Applecare PLUS is only available if you were lucky enough to get a refurb that is within 30 days of its original purchase- so basically NOT for ACPlus.

I thought they had done away with the basic version. What's the difference between basic & plus?

pommephone
Nov 27, 2012, 04:22 PM
I thought they had done away with the basic version. What's the difference between basic & plus? The "Plus" covers accidental damage- like dropping in water.

HDJulie
Nov 27, 2012, 04:26 PM
What about dropping in general?

Bill.the.Cat
Nov 27, 2012, 04:38 PM
MV-what-now?

MVNO = Mobile Virtual Network Operator (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_mobile_virtual_network_operators)

pommephone
Nov 27, 2012, 04:47 PM
What about dropping in general?Call Applecare at 800-692-7753 or visit their website (http://www.apple.com/support/products/).

From the Applecare site (for those too lazy to click a link):

AppleCare+ provides repair or replacement coverage, both parts and labor, from Apple-authorized technicians.

What’s covered

Your iPhone
Battery1
Included earphones and accessories
Coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage,2 each subject to a $49 service fee

With AppleCare+ for iPhone, Apple experts can help troubleshoot issues with your iPhone, iOS and iCloud, and Apple-branded apps.

iPhone support

Using iOS and iCloud
Questions about Apple-branded iPhone apps such as Mail, Safari, Calendar, Remote, and iTunes
Connecting to wireless networks

iJimrod
Nov 27, 2012, 05:28 PM
Very Informative...

But, You forgot the bottom line.

Here it is:

Important notes

AppleCare+ must be purchased within 30 days of the date you bought your new iPhone. If you did not purchase AppleCare+ with your iPhone, you may purchase it at an Apple Retail Store. To buy AppleCare+ at an Apple Retail Store, a Specialist will first need to verify your iPhone purchase date and confirm that your iPhone has no pre-existing damage. Find an Apple Retail Store.

See AppleCare+ Terms and Conditions for complete product details.

Call Applecare at 800-692-7753 or visit their website (http://www.apple.com/support/products/).

From the Applecare site (for those too lazy to click a link):

AppleCare+ provides repair or replacement coverage, both parts and labor, from Apple-authorized technicians.

What’s covered

Your iPhone
Battery1
Included earphones and accessories
Coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage,2 each subject to a $49 service fee

With AppleCare+ for iPhone, Apple experts can help troubleshoot issues with your iPhone, iOS and iCloud, and Apple-branded apps.

iPhone support

Using iOS and iCloud
Questions about Apple-branded iPhone apps such as Mail, Safari, Calendar, Remote, and iTunes
Connecting to wireless networks

HDJulie
Nov 27, 2012, 06:16 PM
That's AppleCare PLUS - what is AppleCare without the plus -- is it just an additional year of manufacturer warranty?

iJimrod
Nov 27, 2012, 06:28 PM
Yes... One additional year of Apple's Warranty.

Certainly nothing to sneeze at.

Very Good equipment coverage.

If you have an oopy, then you need the plus.

That's AppleCare PLUS - what is AppleCare without the plus -- is it just an additional year of manufacturer warranty?

pommephone
Nov 27, 2012, 06:34 PM
That's AppleCare PLUS - what is AppleCare without the plus -- is it just an additional year of manufacturer warranty?Call them and ask: 800-692-7753

crees!
Nov 27, 2012, 10:45 PM

I ordered a 32GB White and haven't received a shipping notice yet. So basically they're stretching it out so AppleCare+ doesn't apply.

iJimrod
Nov 28, 2012, 04:20 AM
I really don't think that they would do that.

But, When I spoke with Apple yesterday. They said that the phone that I had was purchased in September and wasn't registered to me. (According to the phone's serial number).

So these phones (IMO) are AT&T repackaged devices. Not an Apple refurb. Quality wise.

I ordered a 32GB White and haven't received a shipping notice yet. So basically they're stretching it out so AppleCare+ doesn't apply.

pommephone
Nov 28, 2012, 09:17 AM
That's AppleCare PLUS - what is AppleCare without the plus -- is it just an additional year of manufacturer warranty?OK- Found a little more info on the "AppleCare Protection Plan". Here (http://www.apple.com/asia/support/products/faqs.html) is the FAQ page. Here (http://www.apple.com/asia/support/products/iphone.html) is the iPhone specific info. Note that this is on the Asia site!? The link for iphone from the non-asia FAQ page (http://www.apple.com/support/products/faqs.html) goes to AppleCare+ (http://www.apple.com/support/products/iphone.html).

It appears that it doesn't cover accidental damage (as does the AppleCare+) and appears that it would basically give you a year of coverage on a refurbed ATT phone.

FWIW, I added this coverage to a hand-me-down 3G-S on 12/22/10 and the coverage expired 12/22/11.

HDJulie
Nov 28, 2012, 09:34 AM
Thanks! I didn't think Apple US offered regular AppleCare anymore which was also adding to my confusion. I'll check out the options once I get the phone (which still has not shipped).

pommephone
Nov 28, 2012, 09:41 AM
Thanks! I didn't think Apple US offered regular AppleCare anymore which was also adding to my confusion. I'll check out the options once I get the phone (which still has not shipped).I'm a little concerned too since there's nothing online (U.S.) about it, but I have verbal assurance from an AppleCare Rep that it's available. He said you can buy it on itunes, so you might want to check that out.

Jimbo Asprilla
Nov 28, 2012, 11:54 AM
My order from Friday is still listed as "Processing" not happy at all.

HDJulie
Nov 28, 2012, 12:03 PM
My order from Friday is still listed as "Processing" not happy at all.

Mine too but the email did say:

We estimate your order will be shipped within 2 - 5 business days.

So, maybe it will ship tomorrow or Friday. You are using this Order Status site?:

https://www.wireless.att.com/order_status/order_status.jsp?vMethod=&vNumber=&ZipCode=

Jimbo Asprilla
Nov 28, 2012, 12:33 PM
Mine too but the email did say:

We estimate your order will be shipped within 2 - 5 business days.

So, maybe it will ship tomorrow or Friday. You are using this Order Status site?:

https://www.wireless.att.com/order_status/order_status.jsp?vMethod=&vNumber=&ZipCode=

Yes, I'm using the same status site, not had that email yet though.

Hopefully not much longer to wait, I just regret putting my 4S on eBay.

mook101
Nov 28, 2012, 12:59 PM
I have received the initial email to that states

"Dear KRISTOPHER HAMBLIN,

Thank you for your purchase from the Premier Online Store and your recent enrollment in paperless billing. We're pleased with your choice of AT&T as your wireless service provider. Now that you're enrolled in paperless billing, you'll receive one more paper bill. For future bills, you'll receive a bill-ready notification via email and you can view your bill online, anytime, at att.com.

We estimate your order will be shipped within 2 - 5 business days. We will notify you by email when it has shipped.

All orders are processed on a first-come, first-served basis.

Your order may be subject to AT&T eligibility and credit requirements. If we have any questions about your eligibility or your order, we will contact you via email.

Reference Web Order Number: :: order number :: : iPhone 5 (32GB White) (Refurb)

You can view the status of your order in Premier at any time. "

I received that on Friday about 10-15 minutes after placing the order. Will be patient until Friday (given it does says 2-5 days)

HDJulie
Nov 28, 2012, 01:09 PM
Exact same email for me on Friday

mook101
Nov 29, 2012, 06:31 AM
Still nothing...they got 1 more day!!! Until I do absolutely nothing but complain and moan about how I wish that it said something other that processing...lol

stevo8
Nov 29, 2012, 08:14 AM
did the price go up on the refurbs? Im seeing $250 for the 32g

HDJulie
Nov 29, 2012, 08:19 AM
Apparently the $100 off was a Black Friday deal.

imagineadam
Nov 29, 2012, 09:39 AM
Still nothing...they got 1 more day!!! Until I do absolutely nothing but complain and moan about how I wish that it said something other that processing...lol

I'm in the exact same boat! I've been OCDing since Friday at 2:30! I ordered a 16GB black. Really hope they ship soon! They must have been swamped with orders, or they are just slow.

bronxred
Nov 29, 2012, 09:55 AM
I guess it would be pretty hard for them to sell refurbished iPhones through their "new" eBay store (http://9to5mac.com/2012/11/19/apple-opens-its-first-ebay-store-for-a-trial-with-select-refubished-products/), but there's lots of other goodies there...

HDJulie
Nov 29, 2012, 10:18 AM
I received an email from them this morning that they "needed additional information" to process my order. I called & after waiting 10 minutes got someone who said she had to process the order. That took another 15 minutes of various hold times. I think the issue with mine was that I am shipping the phone to a different address from my billing address. Supposedly the order is now "processed" & will ship in 3 - 5 MORE business days. Good thing I'm not in a hurry for it :-).

sbddude
Nov 29, 2012, 11:24 AM
Got a shipped notice. Tracking shows friday delivery.

crees!
Nov 29, 2012, 11:49 AM
Waiting for the status to change from "Processing" to "Yes, still processing"

crees!
Nov 29, 2012, 03:00 PM
The non-login order status says processing, but logging into my account there's an additional item stating it'll ship tomorrow via UPS. Bye bye 3GS.

Frag01
Nov 29, 2012, 08:12 PM
According to AT&T Premier Customer Support there are no refurbished phones in either of their warehouses and she had no idea when any more would be arriving. I'm beginning to wonder if AT&T put this deal out to get subscribers/contracts and will fulfill the orders whenever.

I've got an opportunity to pick up a new iPhone tax free on a trip next week and am on the fence deciding whether to cancel the order for the possibly fictional refurb for a sure thing even though the net additional cost will be around $70....

Another consideration is the value of my iPhone4 going down the longer we wind up waiting on the refurbished iPhone 5's....

Frag01
Nov 29, 2012, 11:16 PM
As of tonight my order is cancelled and showing backordered with a new order date of 11/29. AT&T strikes again...

iJimrod
Nov 29, 2012, 11:53 PM
Just some closure on my AT&T adventure...

Ordered a 16 gig white refurb iPhone 5 on friday. They said it would qualify for Apple Care Plus.

Recieved and activated it on monday. It was an AT&T refurb. Not an Apple refurb.

Called Apple on tuesday morning to check Apple Care Plus eligibility. Not eligible, past 30 day limit.

Returned refurb to AT&T. Purchased a new iPhone 5. Purchased Apple Care Plus.

And, All is Well!!!

Good Luck All, Jim

bhager
Nov 30, 2012, 11:51 AM
I ordered a refurbished iphone 5 16gb on the 23rd as well. I think it was around 1pm when I placed the order. Everything is still showing processing today so I called them. She told me that they are backorderd and I am around 1400 on the list to be filled. I was going to cancel my order and she assured me that they would be available in time for Christmas so I am going to wait a couple more weeks.

Cevap
Nov 30, 2012, 01:24 PM
Ordered mine around 9:30 PM central time on Friday (black 16 GB) and its supposed to be delivered today

jmagg
Nov 30, 2012, 01:51 PM
I just spoke with a CSR who gave me a case number and said I would receive a call within 48hrs. Anybody else get this? What happened?

I oredered mine at 9:47 AM on Friday. It looks like the people that ordered earlier are more screwed.

bhager
Nov 30, 2012, 02:19 PM
No but keep us posted on what they say.

severe
Nov 30, 2012, 03:05 PM
I oredered mine at 9:47 AM on Friday. It looks like the people that ordered earlier are more screwed.

I ordered mine at roughly the same time and received mine Monday; West Coast.

Oddly enough, I'd tried to order online immediately after news broke; about 1 or 2AM. After logging on at AT&T and choosing the phone, I was stopped short by an alert claiming I had an outstanding balance. Seemed I was a few days past due on my bill.

I immediately paid the outstanding balance and attempted to purchase the phone again. However, I was still getting the alert of an outstanding balance. Tried several times and gave up til morning, after realizing it was gonna take some time to process my payment.

So I called in the morning and spoke to a rep that was able to process the iPhone purchase over the phone after confirming I'd paid my balance. Grandfathered customer signing a new agreement; doubt this matters.

I'm not sure there's any set rule as to who's getting their iPhone early or not.

Ordered Friday, received Monday. (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=16371458&postcount=83)

Molson1020
Nov 30, 2012, 03:23 PM
I ordered Friday the 23rd around 6pm, and as of today it is still "Processing."

I called up AT&T this morning and was told that for some reason I didn't accept the terms and conditions until Monday, the 26th. So I was told to wait until Monday to for it to ship. Ugh....

noisycats
Nov 30, 2012, 03:30 PM
Ditto that, I ordered around 5pm Central and am still "processing". Whatever that means. I'll call up on Monday.

I also ordered a 4s at the same time and it arrived yesterday.

severe
Nov 30, 2012, 03:30 PM
I called up AT&T this morning and was told that for some reason I didn't accept the terms and conditions until Monday, the 26th. So I was told to wait until Monday to for it to ship. Ugh....

Yea, this is apparently of huge importance. The rep repeated that the terms and conditions email needed to be accepted before things were fully processed and shipped. I handled it immediately after our call.

I wonder how many failed to comply.

truettray
Nov 30, 2012, 04:04 PM
Mine still says Processing. Has anyone else received their order yet, or even ship date?

HDJulie
Nov 30, 2012, 04:23 PM
Several people in this thread have said they've received theirs. Several others are still processing. I ordered a 32GB Black around 9:30 that morning & it shipped yesterday & will get here Monday.

Frag01
Nov 30, 2012, 06:28 PM
I escalated my support call earlier today and was told the reason my order was cancelled and reprocessed was due to my (along with many others) phone being mis-keyed when ordered and had to be reprocessed. The rep stated that 6-700 phones had just come in and he thought that might accommodate the rest of the orders from Black Friday. Sure enough my phone shipped late today - 32G Black ordered late Friday night.

imagineadam
Dec 3, 2012, 08:04 AM
Got an email this morning telling me that due to overwhelming demand my phone will ship 14-21 days from today! Guess I'll be waiting till Christmas!

bhager
Dec 3, 2012, 08:07 AM
My email this morning from AT&T:
Thank you for your recent purchase from the AT&T Premier Online Store. We're pleased that you chose AT&T as your service provider.

Due to overwhelming demand for the Black Friday refurbished smartphones, you can expect your device to ship in approximately 14-21 business days from today.

For orders that receive a ship confirmation email by December 18th you should receive your order by December 24th. If you wish to change your order please call Premier Support at 1-866-499-8008.

As a reminder, you will receive an email from the AT&T Premier Team confirming shipment along with the carrier information and tracking number to track your shipment online.

----------

Got an email this morning telling me that due to overwhelming demand my phone will ship 14-21 days from today! Guess I'll be waiting till Christmas!

Me too :(

Molson1020
Dec 3, 2012, 08:58 AM
Got the same email here. AT&T are the worst. Cancelled my order and just going to go buy a new phone from Apple. That way I can also get in in AppleCare plus.

ChefJayPeek
Dec 3, 2012, 09:21 AM
I too got this email, and had ordered my phone around 9 am on Black Friday. Not that it will do any good, but I think I will call Premier support today and complain. It seems that several people here are all in the same boat and are all also Premier customers. Guess Premier now means nothing...

Jimbo Asprilla
Dec 3, 2012, 11:23 AM
I got the email too, I was also someone who made their purchase very early, what a joke !

jmagg
Dec 3, 2012, 11:39 AM
Well, after an hour on the phone (still on hold) I found out that to AT&T 48 hrs. means by Dec. 11. 2-5 days apparently means 24-31. They are now transferring me to ecomm. Oh boy, can't wait. They also told me I can't cancel until I receive the phone, so I can't even go to the Apple store and buy a new one. They said I can't change my order, either.

Molson1020
Dec 3, 2012, 01:27 PM
Well, after an hour on the phone (still on hold) I found out that to AT&T 48 hrs. means by Dec. 11. 2-5 days apparently means 24-31. They are now transferring me to ecomm. Oh boy, can't wait. They also told me I can't cancel until I receive the phone, so I can't even go to the Apple store and buy a new one. They said I can't change my order, either.

That's complete BS. They told me I couldn't "change" my order but they did indeed cancel it this morning and reset my upgrade status. I walked into an Apple store 30 minutes later and out with a new phone.

50up3r9uy
Dec 3, 2012, 04:43 PM
Premiere customer. Ordered black 64 g early black Friday morning. Last week order showed pending info from me so I called and confirmed my billing, shipping address, that I still wanted unlimited data. After being on hold for 10 minutes they got it figured out and put it back in processing.
Decided to call again today since it had been over the 3-5 business days for processing. They said 2 on back order then they can ship it to me.

UPDATE:
Soon after writing this I came home and there it was. It's a Christmas miracle!
Site still says processing.

ChefJayPeek
Dec 3, 2012, 04:44 PM
I was able to cancel my order as well. I think I may just take my phone in and get it unlocked and get a pay as you go sim and deal with the limitations of that. The CSR I spoke to did not seem worried that I would take my 1200 a year elsewhere as I am out of contract, so maybe I will just do that...

bhager
Dec 3, 2012, 04:53 PM
I called and cancelled as well. Already went to Target and came back with a new Iphone 5. :D

007bond
Dec 3, 2012, 05:48 PM
Just a tip...post on the AT&T facebook wall and ask to talk to someone in Customer Relations. They are scared of bad publicity, so they'll do what they can to assist you (and maybe even give you some bill credit like they did for me ;))

bhager
Dec 12, 2012, 10:59 AM
Just wanted to warn anyone that has cancelled an order that I called on 12/3/12 and cancelled. Got a cancellation email same day. This morning 12/12/12 I got 3 emails, 2 cancellation emails and a shipping email. My phone is on its way! I am so aggravated. I called them and she said it wasn't cancelled correctly and thats why it has been shipped. I bought a new iphone on the 3rd. Just wanted to let you know, if you cancel make sure it is cancelled through the warehouse to or you will still get it!!!!

sbddude
Dec 12, 2012, 11:11 AM
Just wanted to warn anyone that has cancelled an order that I called on 12/3/12 and cancelled. Got a cancellation email same day. This morning 12/12/12 I got 3 emails, 2 cancellation emails and a shipping email. My phone is on its way! I am so aggravated. I called them and she said it wasn't cancelled correctly and thats why it has been shipped. I bought a new iphone on the 3rd. Just wanted to let you know, if you cancel make sure it is cancelled through the warehouse to or you will still get it!!!!

Just let the order go thru and sell it on craigslist. You can easily make $100-200 on it.

iJimrod
Dec 12, 2012, 06:09 PM
Your math is flawed...

Just let the order go thru and sell it on craigslist. You can easily make $100-200 on it.

vicky07
Dec 13, 2012, 02:22 AM
Y i am coming across all the exciting deals tODAY!!!
Anyways very impressive price
Thanks for posting:o

Kenn Marks
Dec 13, 2012, 02:24 AM

Yes Applecare plus is available if the phone was originally sold within 30 days of your visit to an Apple Store. Mine was sold Sept 21 so a November 30th visit to the Apple Store was a non event and a waste of 3 hours in travel. When I placed my order an AT&T customer service rep talked with AppleCare and told me that it would be covered by just taking it to my local Apple Store and have it inspected and they would register it for me. It took me contacting AT&T Mobility CEO Ralph de la Vega and his offices intervention to finally get regular Apple Care. Others have mentioned Apple Refurbs and Apple Care well these phones are not refurbished by Apple but some third party therefore the hitch. If Apple does the refurb an Apple products previous ownership or sales information is wiped off the record books. Then if a third party does a refurb they cannot scrub purchase records and the 30 day registration rule comes into play and a AT&T purchased refurb iPhone becomes a buyer beware.

imagineadam
Dec 14, 2012, 07:46 AM

Finally got my 16gb black yesterday. Very impressed. The first guy who posted this is most likely right on. Indeed my phone had one tiny scuff in the mirror finish. But that was it! Everything else flawless! Even though I myself am kinda OCD this isn't bothering me knowing that I got a brand new phone for $100 cheaper! It's gonna get scratched up anyways! Glad I saved one of those thousands of misfit iPhone 5's with a tiny scuff! :)

pommephone
Dec 14, 2012, 10:20 AM
Finally got my 16gb black yesterday. Very impressed. The first guy who posted this is most likely right on. Indeed my phone had one tiny scuff in the mirror finish. But that was it! Everything else flawless! Even though I myself am kinda OCD this isn't bothering me knowing that I got a brand new phone for $100 cheaper! It's gonna get scratched up anyways! Glad I saved one of those thousands of misfit iPhone 5's with a tiny scuff! :) Actually, you didn't get it for $100 cheaper and you didn't get a brand new phone. You got a scuffed up used iPhone for only $50 cheaper because you can now buy a brand new one at BestBuy, RadioShack or Target for $149.99.

It will be interesting to see what AT&T charges for refurbished iPhone 5 once they get more in stock. I thought $99 was a pretty good deal until the price drop to $149.99 for brand new.

mscriv
Dec 14, 2012, 10:53 AM
Actually, you didn't get it for $100 cheaper and you didn't get a brand new phone. You got a scuffed up used iPhone for only $50 cheaper because you can now buy a brand new one at BestBuy, RadioShack or Target for $149.99.

It will be interesting to see what AT&T charges for refurbished iPhone 5 once they get more in stock. I thought $99 was a pretty good deal until the price drop to $149.99 for brand new.

The $50 discount at those retailers is a limited time offer. The phone will go back up to the normal price after the holidays. I'd say it's a safe bet that At&t will hold out for a little longer at the $50 off rate, but that very soon the standard refurb price will be $100 off the normal rate.

imagineadam
Dec 14, 2012, 11:22 AM
Actually, you didn't get it for $100 cheaper and you didn't get a brand new phone. You got a scuffed up used iPhone for only $50 cheaper because you can now buy a brand new one at BestBuy, RadioShack or Target for $149.99.

Okay maybe not brand new but for a phone that has been out for only two months and with all the OCD people returning them with tiny scuffs pretty much the day or day after they have opened them that's pretty much brand new to me! And when I ordered it on the 23rd there were no other deals going on. Maybe there are now like you said. But anyways I'm happy with my barely used tiny scuffed iPhone 5! You can't take it away from me! :)

jmagg
Dec 17, 2012, 02:27 PM
I finally received my iphones after many hours on the phone and then they messed up the activation, had to go to the store and get a new Sim card, but anyway, I plugged my serial numbers into the web site and it says I have applecare plus on one of them, expires in 2014. Does that mean the AC+ was transferred to the refurb?

007bond4321
Dec 21, 2012, 04:48 PM

Just some closure on my AT&T adventure...

Ordered a 16 gig white refurb iPhone 5 on friday. They said it would qualify for Apple Care Plus.

Recieved and activated it on monday. It was an AT&T refurb. Not an Apple refurb.

Called Apple on tuesday morning to check Apple Care Plus eligibility. Not eligible, past 30 day limit.

Returned refurb to AT&T. Purchased a new iPhone 5. Purchased Apple Care Plus.

And, All is Well!!!

Good Luck All, Jim

As others have stated, a refurbished iPhone purchased from ATT is apparently an ATT refurb, basically checked and inserted into a generic box. Not authorized by Apple at all. Scratches are likely, in my case of a refurbished white 16GB iPhone 5 purchased from ATT on Black Friday there are several small scratches on the Apple logo on the back, and a hairline barely visible scratch on the display glass. The headphones appeared to be repackaged by ATT, but still had the Apple hard case (if they have been used by someone else, that's disgusting). The power adapter and Lightning cable may have been repackaged, but were in original Apple wrappers.
Because it was intended as a Christmas present, I only verified that the phone powered on and worked, and did not get it working on ATT service. Sadly, I waited beyond ATT's 14-day return policy to find out that my phone was originally purchased Sept 21, and I thus did not qualify for AppleCare+. My standard warranty from Apple expires Sept 21, 2013. ATT's 90 day warranty for refurbished products is useless here, as they will just send me to Apple. I've been back and forth with ATT and Apple's Agreement Administration team, and this is the case. Frustrating to say the least, having owned every iPhone and been an ATT/Cingular customer for over 10 years. After threatening to move to Verizon, ATT gave me $100 off my phone bill. Hardly satisfactory. You better bet I'll be threatening the Verizon move next time I don't qualify for full discounted iPhone pricing when the next iPhone comes out. Ah, first world problems. :)

I finally received my iphones after many hours on the phone and then they messed up the activation, had to go to the store and get a new Sim card, but anyway, I plugged my serial numbers into the web site and it says I have applecare plus on one of them, expires in 2014. Does that mean the AC+ was transferred to the refurb?

This likely means that the original purchaser got AppleCare+ on the phone and it didn't get taken off/refunded for some reason. If the AC+ doesn't get taken off later, you might be one of the lucky few. Congrats.