PDA

View Full Version : How much should I ask for a Rev A. dual 1.8/2GB/9800SE?

TheGimp
Sep 15, 2005, 10:26 AM
I hope this is the right place to ask for selling tips, given that the other forum is entitled "BUYING tips..."

Just so that no motivated buyer here is likely to waste time deceiving me, let me first state that I do not plan to sell it on Macrumors. I have never sold over the internet before, and the last time I bought anything, it was a "Magic: The Gathering" Black Lotus Alpha for $100 YEARS ago.

Anyway...

It is a Rev. A (8GB max ram, 8 slots) dual 1.8 G5 with 2GB ram (2 slots still free), 160GB HD, 4X Superdrive, Radeon 9800SE AGP 8X 256MB VRAM graphics card, M-Audio Audiophile 24bit/96khz audio/midi card, iLife 2005, Halo (w/ manual&disk), Sigma Chess Hiarcs (registered) and Tiger. Unit is in perfect working order, meticulously maintained and defragmented HD, cosmetically excellent exterior, original manuals, disks, and cables/cable adaptors, purchased base system refurbished from Apple last summer (2004).

I estimate my total expenditure with upgrades to have been close to $3000, but can also provide Apple receipt.
I own a 23" aluminum HD Cinema display, but I plan to keep it to use with my Powerbook and Xbox 360 when at home, so it is not for sale.

Having typed this whole message, it appears as if I'm trying to sell it here, but I provide all this info just to help others to best help me, by letting them see my "package" (no double entendre) as a potential buyer would see it.

What could I reasonable expect to get for this system?

Thanks in advance.

Winstonp
Sep 15, 2005, 11:42 AM
I'm in boston as well and I have iMac g5 in my sig that I would trade straight up.

stonyc
Sep 15, 2005, 12:03 PM
I'm in boston as well and I have iMac g5 in my sig that I would trade straight up.I don't think he's asking for trades or offers. :) He's looking for a feeler on how much his system would be worth.

TheGimp
Sep 15, 2005, 03:22 PM
I'm in boston as well and I have iMac g5 in my sig that I would trade straight up.

Thanks for the offer, but I already have a cinema display, so there wouldn't be much for me to gain in that trade. I plan to use the display with my powerbook in order to watch DVDs and do science stuff that benefits from large screen area. Down the road when I'm done with grad school, I'll get whichever entry-level powermac happens to be new at that time. Right now I need the $$$ more than I need to save a couple hours on a given processing job such as, for example, compressing a movie. The Powerbook may not be nearly as fast as the G5, but it does almost everything the G5 does in roughly 1/4 to 1/2 the time.

Anyone else have any input as to how much I should ask for the thread-topic system?

TheGimp
Sep 15, 2005, 03:44 PM

Hi,

I don't want to put your hopes up, but could you possibly PM me a link to the tech specs of the iMac in your sig. I *might* be interested in trading in order to surprise my long-term girlfriend, who currently uses an iBook G3 and is excited about digital photography. Depending on how your iMac and my Powermac size up to one another, I may be interested in either a straight trade as you suggest or some small amount of cash or additional trade item to supplement the iMac. To be honest, I'm not really interested in 2 external harddrives, but perhaps we can work something out.

1)When did you buy the iMac? Was it new or refurb, and (just to be explicit) how much more time is left on the Applecare plan?

2)In case you don't have the tech specs link, can you give me some more specs, especially those that differ from the current 20" iMac on the Applestore? (other than the somewhat slower 1.8ghz compared to 2.0ghz)

3)Tell me a little about yourself. Doesn't have to be too personal. For example: Are you over 18? Student or professional? Have a car?

Thanks again for your interest, and I wish you the best of luck trading should we end up not doing business. The iMac looks like a sweet system for just about anything except Doom 3, and I'm sure you could get some great offers if you hold out.

Ted

TheGimp
Sep 15, 2005, 03:46 PM
oops! My last message was intended as a PM, but I'm too lazy to change it. Oh well...

TheGimp
Sep 16, 2005, 02:40 PM
Can't someone knowledgeable help me out here? What's my system worth ???

Thanks

Winstonp
Sep 16, 2005, 02:50 PM
I'll estimate like 1650 +- 150.

cr2sh
Sep 16, 2005, 06:10 PM
I'll estimate like 1650 +- 150.

On the low range of that is about right I think.

I'd give $1200. :)

TheGimp
Sep 16, 2005, 06:16 PM
On the low range of that is about right I think.

I'd give $1200. :)

Thanks alot. So I guess without the extra 1.5 GB ram, m-audio card, and 9800SE it would be worth about $650, eh?

cr2sh
Sep 16, 2005, 08:37 PM
Thanks alot. So I guess without the extra 1.5 GB ram, m-audio card, and 9800SE it would be worth about $650, eh?

I'll admit.. there is a gap between "what it is worth" and "what I am willing to pay."

Check out this auction. (http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-PowerMac-G5-Dual-1-8-GHz-Mac_W0QQitemZ5806268252QQcategoryZ51036QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) I'm not sure what used games are worth.. but if you're going to sell all of this stuff, I'd do it on ebay, and sell each item separately. Package deals don't go as high.

Good luck. :)

ReanimationLP
Sep 16, 2005, 09:14 PM
1600 give or take.

Sadly, what throws off the value is the RAM is mainly 256 MB pieces, so if someone wants to expand down the road, they gotta throw out those. x_x

Heb1228
Sep 16, 2005, 09:28 PM
I'll echo the 1500-1600 estimate. You can get a new Dual 2.0 for 2000. That memory is hardly worth anything. Check ebay to see what similar systems are going for, but I'd be surprised if you got any more than 1600.

TheGimp
Sep 17, 2005, 10:09 PM
1600 give or take.

Sadly, what throws off the value is the RAM is mainly 256 MB pieces, so if someone wants to expand down the road, they gotta throw out those. x_x

Sooner or later they would have to throw out the 256 MB pieces, but there's still 2 slots free, so someone could bring the total up to 4GB without throwing anything away, and then go up another 1.5 GB after throwing just 1 256 MB pair away. In fact, it would only cost about $150 from Crucial.c0m to bring my unit to 3GB.

The dual 2 GHZ currently offered by Apple only has 4 total slots, so one faces that problem much sooner. That unit doesn't have PCI-X slots either, but I doubt that would matter much to most people.