Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mariana888

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2010
UK
Since I can remember, my work has used Windows Server for all the PCs, leaving the Macs to be standalone, accessing files via SMB.
Never bothered me too much but now I have started using Parallels to access some of the apps that are only available for PC users and because I am not logged in as a 'recognised' user from the server (just connecting via SMB to the files and folders), I am not granted access.

I read that for previous versions of OS there was a possibility to connect to Windows (where the log in for the Mac would be the same from Windows Server) but haven't found anything for OS 10.6, not sure if this has been removed or changed.

Not sure it is clear, hope it is.

Can anybody help?

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
How are you trying to connect? SMB should work to a Windows file share just fine. Since oh, about 10.2

Finder/Go/Connect to Server:

smb://ServerName/ShareName

Prompted for authentication username should be in the format: domainname\username Backslash is important, it's a qualifier and forward slash will fail.

The name of the share is required, you will not be prompted for one.

When you say from Parallels though, from a Windows VM in parallels? In windows it's essentially the same idea, only you use the net use command. ie: net use E: \\servername\sharename from a CMD prompt will map the share as drive E:

mariana888

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2010
UK
How are you trying to connect? SMB should work to a Windows file share just fine. Since oh, about 10.2

Finder/Go/Connect to Server:

smb://ServerName/ShareName

Prompted for authentication username should be in the format: domainname\username Backslash is important, it's a qualifier and forward slash will fail.

The name of the share is required, you will not be prompted for one.

When you say from Parallels though, from a Windows VM in parallels? In windows it's essentially the same idea, only you use the net use command. ie: net use E: \\servername\sharename from a CMD prompt will map the share as drive E:

Thanks for your response.

I have no trouble connecting to the network via smb or use the drives and some Applications from Parallels, however, certain apps look at the windows login (that user from windows will enter on the log in screen) to allow use. The problem I have is that the way I am connected to the network (via connect to server) does not require this log in at the start (only when I try to connect to one of the drives) therefore does not give me permission to use those applications, as it thinks I'm not a user from the network)

I was hoping that there was a way that would allow me to enter my windows log in details in my mac log (at start up) that would recognise me as part of the main network.

Does this make sense?

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
I was hoping that there was a way that would allow me to enter my windows log in details in my mac log (at start up) that would recognise me as part of the main network.

Does this make sense?

Is it the Windows apps or the Mac apps you're having problems with? In Windows best to just domain join the VM machine. Sounds like you have Windows apps that are expecting to pass a kerberos key or some other auth.

There's also the infamous "run as" command in Windows to run an app as a different user if domain joining the VM isn't an option:

Window XP version: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294676

Windows 7/8: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/419-run-different-user.html

Just a thought.

mariana888

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2010
UK
thanks. I'll try that and see how far I get

(yes. they are windows apps that require authorisation)

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Pass-thru authentication might work too. Create a new user account on your Parallel's Window machine with the same username/password as the domain account. Logon Parallels with that account and try to access whatever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.