Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Hi !!!

I understand, that with an ibook one can not do presentations (like powerpoint, or else). One can only do presentations with a powerbook, is that correct?

Thank you,

Ignacio Molina.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Not true. What's different with a PB is that you can do the presentations on a second monitor/projector while keeping your desktop to yourself. With an iBook (and with basically any PC laptop), the audience sees what you do, as the iBook mirrors the display to the video port.

Of course, there's a hack to fix that.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
igmolinav said:
Hi !!!

I understand, that with an ibook one can not do presentations (like powerpoint, or else). One can only do presentations with a powerbook, is that correct?

Thank you,

Ignacio Molina.

I've used my 14" iBook for presentations PowerPoint and Keynote all the time. The only limitations are that, unlike the PB you are limited only to mirroring the internal display on the external projector, and you can't shut the iBook and work it in clamshell more.

Out of the Box that is. There are third party options to enable that, e.g. SSD at http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html.

I haven't felt the need to use this myself, so can't give you any experience.

B

brendel95

macrumors regular
May 23, 2005
igmolinav said:
Hi !!!

Thank you,

Ignacio Molina.

You can DO presentation with iBook. Actually, when I do presentation with my powerbook I always do the mirroring so that I can see the same thing on my computer as well as screen. So iBook can do the mirroring, so you can do the presentation

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
ThatSoundAgain said:
The hack works fine and is very easy to install (and remove, should you want that).

So I've gathered. ;)

Mirroring works fine for me, as it also seems to for jsw.

The only case where spanning might be nice would be if I hook up my iBook to a display that has higher resolution than the internal display, in which case it would be nice to take advantage of that.

B

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
personally i prefer mirroring so i can hold my ibook in an arm and talk to the audience and glance at my ibook instead of turning my back to the audience, something which for no good reason at all you cant do with windows seeing as it does not support video mirroring without a VGA splitter, which is plain silly.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Hector said:
something which for no good reason at all you cant do with windows seeing as it does not support video mirroring without a VGA splitter, which is plain silly.

:confused: Maybe it doesn't work that way on newer boxes, but all the Wintendo notebooks I have used for presentations also defaulted to mirroring, and going anywhere beyond that required a bit of black magic and virgin sacrifice in Control Panel -> Displays.

All in all mutliple displays in Windows is a royal pain.

B

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
thats probably by haveing the software display the same thing on both outputs, i have researched and researched and not found a way to do ~true~ video mirroring with my pc and it's x800XT PE, their definatly is not support in windows and no one i know has a solution other than hacks that are useless to me as they dont work with games.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
balamw said:
:confused: Maybe it doesn't work that way on newer boxes, but all the Wintendo notebooks I have used for presentations also defaulted to mirroring, and going anywhere beyond that required a bit of black magic and virgin sacrifice in Control Panel -> Displays.

All in all mutliple displays in Windows is a royal pain.

B

You just reminded me of all the trouble I had with that before I switched. Getting dual displays to work in XP was a MAJOR hassle. Of course, OS X is not perfect in that regard either as I sometimes have a problem with a disappearing mouse pointer when I disconnect my second display. Usually the only way to fix it is with a restart.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.