Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hexley

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Due to weight I am moving from a late 2011 mbp with 1tb of data to a 2012 MBA with 256gb and an external 2tb hdd.

My question is Will OS X intelligently place my data for me from the 1tb drive to the 256gg and 2tb drive or do I have to selectively move it myself?

Last edited:

PaulKemp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2009
Norway
OK, just wrote a long responde, then saw i misunderstood your question. Great!

Anyway, I recently went from a 2010 MBA to a 2011 and I used Time Machine. To me, the stuff that matters are some applications, iTunes library, DropBox (excluded - already in the cloud) and some custom stuff like launch agents and tweaking.

Option 1: So, if I was in your shoes, I would setup the new machine as a new. Then copy the stuff you need over form the old one. Then you'll be able to place the static data on the big external drive and I think its healty to setup and clean your system from time to time. This is a good solution if you have not tweaked your system to bits with custom launch agents and such. This depends on how custom your current machine is!

Option 2: Take your new external disk, set it up as a Time Machine. Then exclude the big files and folders form your old machine. This includes Steam Apps, DropBox, iTunes library and such. Use a app to determine the biggest folders. Then, restore the new machine from that TM backup.

When your system is up and running, then just copy the rest over. The TM backup restore can be slow is my experience.

ofcourse, take the backups you need. With a big 2 tb disk, you can even clone the whole hdd of the MBP just in case. This post got long as well...

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
Due to weight I am moving from a late 2011 mbp with 1tb of data to a 2012 MBA with 256gb and an external 2tb hdd.

My question is Will OS X intelligently place my data for me from the 1tb drive to the 256gg and 2tb drive or do I have to selectively move it myself?

As you cannot "merge" an internal and an external drive into a JBOD, you will have to select for yourselves which files will reside where.

There are two considerations:
- The files you will need always need to be on your SSD
- The files, which REALLY benefit from the Speed of the SDD would be sensible to be on the SSD.

You can start with a fresh MBA and cop all the old files on the External, and move them onto the SSD as you need them.

RGDS,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.