PDA

View Full Version : New Case for a powermac G5 - user changeable?

QCassidy352
Sep 15, 2005, 02:21 PM
So due to events recounted in this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=147223&page=2&pp=25), I will need to replace the casing of my G5. And as also recounted in that thread, there's a good chance I'm going to have to pay for it myself. Which suggests to me that what I should do is buy a case off e bay and change it myself because otherwise this is going to get very expensive.

How doable is this process? I basically want to move every component from the badly damaged case to a new one. Easy? Hard? Thanks!

revisionA
Sep 15, 2005, 02:40 PM
So due to events recounted in this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=147223&page=2&pp=25), I will need to replace the casing of my G5. And as also recounted in that thread, there's a good chance I'm going to have to pay for it myself. Which suggests to me that what I should do is buy a case off e bay and change it myself because otherwise this is going to get very expensive.

How doable is this process? I basically want to move every component from the badly damaged case to a new one. Easy? Hard? Thanks!

The cooling systems are different in some models, which would in turn dictate differences in the case. I would not assume that any g5 case would support any other g5's guts - power supplies vary too... my single 1.8 doesnt need the power output that a dual 1.8 would, though the cases are probably very similar. Another thing is that the motherboards are different in some of the g5s, the second processor slot is not the only difference.

Basically, if you have to rig it, you might have to drill into the case. PC cases are standardized into several classes just like the motherboards. For a g5, since standardization isnt necessary, it may not be implemented.

If it makes you feel any better, my sony vaio desktop with its liquid cooling isnt ever going into another case, although I would love to pop another motherboard in it, i fear the same problems might arise.

$

google first, ask questions later.
http://www.macintouch.com/g5reader02.html
SHOULD ANSWER QUESTION

pdpfilms
Sep 15, 2005, 03:36 PM

I am sorry not to answer your above question, but PLEASE do not give up! You CAN get USPS to pay for the damages! Just be persisntent and it will happen!

QCassidy352
Sep 15, 2005, 03:39 PM
I am sorry not to answer your above question, but PLEASE do not give up! You CAN get USPS to pay for the damages! Just be persisntent and it will happen!

my biggest problem right now is I don't even know who to argue with. They just tell me that the claim "won't be accepted" without a receipt. By who, one might say, given that I am talking to the post office. Well, good question.

But anyway, although I'm continuing to try to get them to pay, in the event that I can't, does anyone know how possible it would be to change the cases myself?

pdpfilms
Sep 15, 2005, 05:19 PM
my biggest problem right now is I don't even know who to argue with. They just tell me that the claim "won't be accepted" without a receipt. By who, one might say, given that I am talking to the post office. Well, good question.

But anyway, although I'm continuing to try to get them to pay, in the event that I can't, does anyone know how possible it would be to change the cases myself?

I just needed to get my point out, and it seems you are in quite the predicament. I really honestly wish i could help. I can say that my G5 had a defective temperature sensor when I first bought it (it was a refurb), and consequentially needed a case replacement. It was covered by apple, and was relatively quick for the retail shop to do... a week or so. So i know it is possible, and is not an unimaginable job. However I know nothing about the price or self-serviceability. Sorry.

I wish you the best in your situation.