Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MyRomeo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
HELP!

My sister has an iPhone 4 that has been great for over 2 years now. She updated to iOS6 when it was released with no problems at all. She then updated to 6.0.1 and now can not turn wifi on. That is, the wifi toggle switch does not respond, it is always 'off'.

We have tried (well, I have suggested, she has tried!) the following:

reset network settings - nope
reset all settings - nope
erase all content and reset all settings - nope
restore and set up from backup (itunes) - nope
restore and set up as new device - nope

At this point I am stuck. What could have caused this? (I suspect 6.0.1!) and how can she fix it? I have suggested she waits a few weeks hoping for 6.0.2 update and maybe that will fix it but if that is a long way from release or doesn't fix it, or maybe there is something she can do to fix it then that would be better.

Can anyone help please? :(

Tobias Funke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2012
I dont know if this helps but I have found none of the slider buttons work on ios 6!!

You have to slide the slider not the button!!

I hope they fix this problem because ios 5 slider buttons work perfectly!!

MyRomeo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Thanks for the replies.

Have tried a clean restore and clean install in iTunes and it still doesnt work. Could it be the ios file that my sis has saved is itself the fault? If she deleted the file and hit restore would it force iTunes to download a fresh copy from apple and reinstall that?

MyRomeo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Update

Sis deleted the ipsw file and did a clean restore as a new phone. Nothing. Still no wifi. She is going up see apple and expects to face the out of warranty replacement cost.

iAll

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
SE NH
Update

Sis deleted the ipsw file and did a clean restore as a new phone. Nothing. Still no wifi. She is going up see apple and expects to face the out of warranty replacement cost.
Did she try to shut off the phone and then a (hard) reboot?

OriginalClone

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
Update

This happened to me after I dropped the iPhone 4 I had a while back. A restore wouldn't work and I had it replaced in warranty. She may have messed up something internally is my best guess.

MyRomeo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Thanks guys.

Yeah she has tried the hard reboot route too. I'm guessing she has dropped it or spilled liquid on it or something and its somehow only affected the wifi. Anyhow she is visiting me next weekend and our local apple store is only a few miles from here so I'm sure she will get it sorted then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.