Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Twiggs462

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2002
I have one problem that is driving me crazy and I am thanking in advance for any who can help…

O.K. I have the following setup:

PowerBook G4 800MHz
1024MB RAM
60GB HDD
Mobile Radeon 7500 32MB
OSX 10.2.2

O.K. Here is my minor problem I really would like to fix:

I had did a clean install of OS X installed all of my software and needed to do something in OS 9 for a few days for school. So I install OS 9… When I go to get rid of OS 9 I found that I couldn’t delete the folders the install created because the computer was saying that they were owned by root.

From this point I called Apple to ask them what to do and they told me that there is no easy way to uninstall OS 9 once installed. This is something I find hard to believe, because something can always be done…

I got on the phone with a supervisor and he told me to open up the terminal and use the following command to delete OS 9:

Sudo rm –r *

Where * is the directory I wish to delete from the Root. All I had to do was drag and drop the folders to the terminal window.

I did this and they all deleted.

Now the part that is bugging the hell out of me:

I restart my computer and in my hard drive is one of the items I deleted:

(alias) Desktop (Mac OS 9)

SO I did the terminal command to this item and it deleted again. But every time I turn my computer back on this item always comes back. Can someone please tell me how to get rid of this because the techs at apple don’t know how. I tried calling back again and they told me to reinstall OS X. Like it’s no big deal. There has got to be a way to get rid of this alias without doing that. Thanks for any help guys…

Peace
-Twiggs
:confused:

crassusad44

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2001
Scandinavia
The alias should usually disappear when deleting it from the Finder. You can also try to delete the «Desktop» folder in the root directory. This folder is the Mac OS 9 desktop directory, and is not used by OS X.

I look forward to the day when OS 9 and Classic is all-gone!

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Ahh! I had that problem once before, but luckily I had kept 9... yep, you need 9 to fix that. Too bad for you, you deleted it.

If there is any item on your OS 9 desktop, that alias will show up. So the only solution I am aware of and which worked is to go back to 9 and delete whatever it is on the desktop, and then boot back into X. Then, you can just log into root and delete that alias and it will never show up again.

Is that clear enough?

irmongoose

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.