Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cnguyen0320

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2012
Siri is restricted by poor search capabilities, no system access, voice recognition isn't the best, taking too long, and just plain out sucking. What are Google Now's restrictions? In other words, what doesn't it do that you want it to?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Siri is restricted by poor search capabilities, no system access, voice recognition isn't the best, taking too long, and just plain out sucking. What are Google Now's restrictions? In other words, what doesn't it do that you want it to?

The only thing it does is searches... So everything. You do know Siri can launch apps right?

cnguyen0320

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2012
The only thing it does is searches... So everything. You do know Siri can launch apps right?

Yeah, i launch apps all the time when I'm driving. I really love Google Now's ability to bring up google searches if there is no answer which is great. I really hate Siri when it takes forever to bring up results or when it just cannot understand me at all.

jamojamo

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010

You should really learn more about Google Now...

Open Evernote
Open Gmail
Open Wikipedia
Open app Sky Drive

Just a small sample I tried.

You get the picture.

I really wish both sides, yes the OP too, would stop trolling each other. It's really getting boring more than annoying now.

We get it. Your phone choice is awesome and all others suck horribly. Can we move on now?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Not sure what you're asking, but hope this list helps. It's pretty extensive: http://www.addictivetips.com/android/google-now-commands-smart-cards-list/

And that's Google Now in 4.1. Can't find a list of new things, if anything, from 4.2.

Forgot it can do navigation, but the rest is all searches. It needs to be able to create notes, reminders, set alarms, create events

----------

Not sure what you're asking, but hope this list helps. It's pretty extensive: http://www.addictivetips.com/android/google-now-commands-smart-cards-list/

And that's Google Now in 4.1. Can't find a list of new things, if anything, from 4.2.

I swear I tried a lot of those commands to no avail. Like setting an alarm :(

mathi-vadhanan

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2011
Socal
No future date reminders.

You can't set a reminder/alarm for future dates.

It has several useful cards that are not in SIRI though. Like location and traffic based alerts for upcoming appointments.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Forgot it can do navigation, but the rest is all searches. It needs to be able to create notes, reminders, set alarms, create events

Notes & Reminders
Commands:

- “Remind me to <task> at <time>”

- “Wake me up in <time>”

- “<action> at <time>”

- “Self note to <message>”

- “Set alarm for <time>”

Google-Now-Smart-Cards-Android-Reminder1.jpg
Google-Now-Smart-Cards-Android-Reminder3.jpg
Google-Now-Smart-Cards-Android-Reminder2.jpg

cnguyen0320

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2012
I really wish both sides, yes the OP too, would stop trolling each other. It's really getting boring more than annoying now.

I'm not trolling? I'm asking for restrictions on Google Now so I can decide if it is better for me than Siri. I think Siri is good but it lacks (a lot). I know Google Now is good at understanding dictation and "getting it right" but I want to know what it can't do: phone calls? text?

Just trying to make a decision.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I swear I tried a lot of those commands to no avail. Like setting an alarm :(

But it does everything else fine?

Not sure what's going on then...

----------

I'm not trolling? I'm asking for restrictions on Google Now so I can decide if it is better for me than Siri. I think Siri is good but it lacks (a lot). I know Google Now is good at understanding dictation and "getting it right" but I want to know what it can't do: phone calls? text?

Just trying to make a decision.

Full list here (it's quite extensive): http://www.addictivetips.com/android/google-now-commands-smart-cards-list/

Contact & Communication
Commands:

- “Call <contact>”

- “Send <message> to <contact> via text”

- “<contact name>” (shows the contact card)

- “Call <contact/place> in <location>”

- “Send a text to <contact> <message>”

- “Email to <contact>, B C C <contact(s)>, Subject <subject>, message <message>”

Examples:

“Send email to Aatif Khan, Subject, post fix, Message, I have completed fixing my own posts”
“Call KFC in Brooklyn, New York”
“Send SMS to dad mobile please call me A S A P”
“Call help center”
“Send I cannot come right now to Carl via text”
Note: Google Now voice commands can be used to place calls in offline mode, too.

Google-Now-Smart-Cards-Android-Contact1.jpg
Google-Now-Smart-Cards-Android-Contact2.jpg
Google-Now-Smart-Cards-Android-Contact3.jpg

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
You can't set a reminder/alarm for future dates.

It has several useful cards that are not in SIRI though. Like location and traffic based alerts for upcoming appointments.

Ahh maybe I tried to set one for the next day

Notes & Reminders
Commands:

- “Remind me to <task> at <time>”

- “Wake me up in <time>”

- “<action> at <time>”

- “Self note to <message>”

- “Set alarm for <time>”

ImageImageImage

I don't have it anymore, but would like someone to confirm some of these commands. I was pretty sure a lot listed on that link do not work

cnguyen0320

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2012
Full list here (it's quite extensive): http://www.addictivetips.com/android/google-now-commands-smart-cards-list/

Contact & Communication
Commands:

- “Call <contact>”

- “Send <message> to <contact> via text”

- “<contact name>” (shows the contact card)

- “Call <contact/place> in <location>”

- “Send a text to <contact> <message>”

- “Email to <contact>, B C C <contact(s)>, Subject <subject>, message <message>”

Examples:

“Send email to Aatif Khan, Subject, post fix, Message, I have completed fixing my own posts”
“Call KFC in Brooklyn, New York”
“Send SMS to dad mobile please call me A S A P”
“Call help center”
“Send I cannot come right now to Carl via text”
Note: Google Now voice commands can be used to place calls in offline mode, too.

ImageImageImage

Oh thanks very much :)

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
I watched the video about it the other day and this seems like a useful feature.

Slightly unrelated to the thread, but one thing that gets me about Android is how complicated and complex the whole system is. Which phone do I buy if I want all of the features available on Android, like Google Now? It seems like it has a lot of great stuff, but it depends heavily what phone you buy as to what features you get. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no such thing as the "best" Android experience because all of the manufacturers are fighting by throwing the latest gimmicks and tricks into their new phones like the "touch phones to transfer" thing in the GS III.

Is that what the Nexus phones are?

cnguyen0320

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2012
I watched the video about it the other day and this seems like a useful feature.

Slightly unrelated to the thread, but one thing that gets me about Android is how complicated and complex the whole system is. Which phone do I buy if I want all of the features available on Android, like Google Now? It seems like it has a lot of great stuff, but it depends heavily what phone you buy as to what features you get. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no such thing as the "best" Android experience because all of the manufacturers are fighting by throwing the latest gimmicks and tricks into their new phones like the "touch phones to transfer" thing in the GS III.

Is that what the Nexus phones are?

yeah Nexus phones give you the best of Android. However, Samsung's S-beam, for example, is really great and not available on Nexus phones. Nexus phones can do the same thing, it just isn't as seamless I think.

jamojamo

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
Ahh maybe I tried to set one for the next day

I don't have it anymore, but would like someone to confirm some of these commands. I was pretty sure a lot listed on that link do not work

All of these work on my Nexus 7 running 4.2 stock

First 3 items set alarms with the description you speak.
Fourth item sends an email to yourself (not as nice as the Notes App on iOS in my opinion but it works)
Fifth item of course sets an alarm.

The one big thing I've come across is the alarms and reminders on date other than the current date. Google Now can't do it. You can create an event for a future date though.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
All of these work on my Nexus 7 running 4.2 stock

First 3 items set alarms with the description you speak.
Fourth item sends an email to yourself (not as nice as the Reminders App on iOS in my opinion but it works)
Fifth item of course sets an alarm.

The one big thing I've come across is the alarms and reminders on date other than the current date. Google Now can't do it. You can create an event for a future date though.

Thanks. I knew I tried an alarm and it didn't work. Siri voice recognition definitely needs to take after google now....it is insanely accurate.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
yeah Nexus phones give you the best of Android. However, Samsung's S-beam, for example, is really great and not available on Nexus phones. Nexus phones can do the same thing, it just isn't as seamless I think.

Ok, thanks for that. My next phone might run Android.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
The only major difference between the two is that it really isn't conversational, like Siri is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.