Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mwoj00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2012
Hello I have a powerbook g4 that will not boot up to my os. It turns on and everything but after the apple logo appears, a error symbol appears[ a circle with a line through it] with the spinning circle and nothing happens. Please help me I dont want to have to buy a new mac.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
prohibited sign mac os -> google it.

If you want more help, provide some details except "mac doesn't boot to OS". What Mac, what OS version, what booting device (HDD or CD/DVD - OEM or Retail version), did it work before etc... Too much to guess so far.

SadChief

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2010
Montpellier, France
Hello I have a powerbook g4 that will not boot up to my os. It turns on and everything but after the apple logo appears, a error symbol appears[ a circle with a line through it] with the spinning circle and nothing happens. Please help me I dont want to have to buy a new mac.

Your HD is dead.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Or someone renamed the hard drive outside of OSX. I did that once when I had a dual boot OS9/OSX TiBook. Renamed the drive in OS9 and rebooted into OSX. Promptly got the prohibitory sign. If you rename the drive it has to be done inside OSX.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.