Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
florida
I was at best buy tonight and BOY does that screen on the retina 13 look beautiful. I didnt think its that much of a difference but I can notice the clear difference in even the dock icons right away, anyone else? I have a fully loaded 2012 MBA 13 inch and am thinking to change it for that retina macbook pro 13, anyone else thinking or already made the move? let me know your thoughts gang

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
I was at Best Buy today too and treated myself to a rMBP 15". I have been using a MBA for about 1 year. So far, so awesome! The native Twitter app looks crappy so I need a retina alternative. Otherwise, loving it.

Colombianito

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2012
I had a maxed out early 2011 MacBook Pro. I had a problem with it, and apple replaced it for a 256gb rmbp. I like it better. The only con is sometimes websites look blurry.

jfriedman8

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
I was at Best Buy today too and treated myself to a rMBP 15". I have been using a MBA for about 1 year. So far, so awesome! The native Twitter app looks crappy so I need a retina alternative. Otherwise, loving it.

I just bought a rMBP 15" also. I love my 13" MBA, but I dont know if I need it anymore. I needed a high res screen and a GPU. The 13" is nice, but not worth it over a 13" MBA.

bubbleboyjones

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2010
I was at best buy tonight and BOY does that screen on the retina 13 look beautiful. I didnt think its that much of a difference but I can notice the clear difference in even the dock icons right away, anyone else? I have a fully loaded 2012 MBA 13 inch and am thinking to change it for that retina macbook pro 13, anyone else thinking or already made the move? let me know your thoughts gang

I have a 2012 MBA 11" and thought the same thing when looking at the 13" rmbp. I probably would have gotten the rmpb instead when making my Air purchase if it was available.

So I went out, got an 27" IPS Monitor for $400 instead to shut me up. :D

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA

A retina MacBook Pro, at a time when (a) non-retina Macs still exist (and are cheaper and (b) the number of apps taking full advantage of HiDPI (i.e. are supporting the retina display) are still quite low compared to the number of apps that aren't, is silly. In 3-5 years, I imagine that most third party apps will have made the jump to retina, but for now, it's still very new and not widely supported. It's very much like running one of the first Intel Macs after the switch to Intel or running OS X after the switch from OS 9. Apps will take time to make the switch, and eventually as all of Apple's Mac models move away from non-retina displays, developers will optimize their apps for them. Hopefully by that time, Apple, Intel, NVIDIA, and AMD will have all worked together to optimize the OS so that the framerate issues plaguing these machines go away. Luckily, that issue is all software and not hardware.

Satori

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2006
London
do you guys think the air will go retina as well if so I still like the portability of it

It will eventually, but the major challenge will be battery size and life. I suspect there isn't enough room in the MBA form factor to fit a battery that could run a retina display for a long enough time. When the battery tech improves, we'll see a rMBA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.