Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rchip

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
Hey guys, got my apogee duet last night. I set it up over at my friends house through his speakers and everything was great!

At my house, when I have the guitar plugged in direct and going through the amp simulations in garage band I'm getting a lot of static noise coming from my speakers. They are Harman Kardon soundsticks III. If I use headphones the problem goes away! This is loud static when I'm not playing - I can cure it mostly by putting the noise gate right up and turning my input volume quite low - but that's not ideal!

I've tried unplugging the speakers, different sockets around the room but no joy :(

Is there a way to eliminate/lessen the feedback, or is it likely just my speakers?

Any help to relieve my frustration will be appreciated!

rchip

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
I just moved my laptop, soundsticks, apogee and guitar downstairs to see if it made a difference but it's exactly the same :(

Seeing as it seemed fine at my friends and is ok at my house with earphones, that it's mostly likely that soundsticks are the issue? If so, any ideas why?

Thanks!

EDIT

Just for extra info, there's no static/hum when playing itunes through the apogee one into the soundsticks.

Last edited:

rchip

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
Hey guys I recorded a few chords so you can see the problem I'm having. I've turned the input volume down now.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=12016854&q=hi

Good news (I think) is that I've found its doing this on the recording when i have the monitor button turned off, and the sound isn't playing at all, so it may not be my speakers! If you listen to the sound clip below you will hear like a static sound after every chord I play.

I am a complete novice at recording (aka have never done it before) so any advice no matter how basic may solve the problem!

thank you.

Erko

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2011
Estonia
Try using headphones to monitor the signal. It may be that using the speakers may cause some bleed or something. If you're recording via a plug straight to the One this shouldn't happen, but maybe your pickups are picking up the speaker audio and causes this noise.

rchip

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
Thanks again Erko, yes I'm playing with the guitar plugged straight into the apogee one - I still get this same static noise on recordings with either the speakers, earphones or with monitor off completely when I play it back.

Strange, perhaps I will have to return the apogee one to the apple store :(

----------

Try using headphones to monitor the signal. It may be that using the speakers may cause some bleed or something. If you're recording via a plug straight to the One this shouldn't happen, but maybe your pickups are picking up the speaker audio and causes this noise.

Thanks again Erko, yes I'm playing with the guitar plugged straight into the apogee one - I still get this same static noise on recordings with either the speakers, earphones or with monitor off completely when I play it back.

Strange, perhaps I will have to return the apogee one to the apple store

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is my whole set up,

Gibson explorer with low output pickups, volume and tone controls wide open, 5ft fender custom shop lead, straight into apogee one connector, apogee one plugged into macbook air. Harman Kardon soundsticks plugged into the apogee one.

No matter what, earphones, monitor off, or through speakers, I get this static noise even on recordings. I'd really love to know what I'm doing wrong!

Erko

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2011
Estonia
Do you have any delays etc. in your chain in Garageband/amp sim?
try removing them.
Also do you have a auto noise gate enabled? Maybe the fizz is normal and the software applies some sort of automatic noise remover that, for some reason, doesn't apply right away beacause of sustain or something.
Try fiddling around with different settings, amps and whatnot to rule out the culprit. You can try switching the One for a replacement, but I'd make sure it's not some software bug before that.

rchip

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
Do you have any delays etc. in your chain in Garageband/amp sim?
try removing them.
Also do you have a auto noise gate enabled? Maybe the fizz is normal and the software applies some sort of automatic noise remover that, for some reason, doesn't apply right away beacause of sustain or something.
Try fiddling around with different settings, amps and whatnot to rule out the culprit. You can try switching the One for a replacement, but I'd make sure it's not some software bug before that.

Hey, thanks yes I've tried everything you said but the noise is still there! Seems really strange, it even does it on clean/mildly overdriven amps. I've emailed apogee support with a sample to see if they can help!

Thanks for your help there Erko, really appreciate your time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.