Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
So I have two first generation iPods (the originals with the rotating wheel) that are in working order (one is mine and the other was my Mom's). I've replaced the battery on mine and so it now holds a charge. I'd like to change the music on them. I have a firewire adapter so I can plug them into my 2011 iMac. The mount as a drive, but iTunes does not recognize them.

How can I change the music selection on them? I'd like to update mine (though I still like most of the songs on it) and I need to update my Mom's (as she never really used it and it has only about 40 songs (all classical) on it).

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Although I know next to nothing about this, I do know that the newer(est) iTunes won't recognize original iPods, which are regarded as obsolete. The best course of action would be to search for guides on how to downgrade to an older version of iTunes that would be compatible with both your oldPod and computer.

Other than stating you know next to nothing about this, everything you said is wrong.

Last edited:

Fralle

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
South part of North
Although I know next to nothing about this, I do know that the newer(est) iTunes won't recognize original iPods, which are regarded as obsolete. The best course of action would be to search for guides on how to downgrade to an older version of iTunes that would be compatible with both your oldPod and computer.

I have the latest version of iTunes, and it recognizes my iPod generation 1 :confused:

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
Hmm, I wonder if I need to install some updated software on the iPod. If I do that directly, maybe it will get recognized by my iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.