Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
im getting my mini mounted over my radio I wouldnt an ipad on the window tho its too big and blocks your view. I saw a dude with a full size ipad window mounted in his nissan 350Z. Looked ridiculous.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
In some states mounting on your windshield even a small 3.5" GPS is illegal. A 10" iPad mounted on your windshield would just be ridiculous.

sy0296

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2011
+1 for ram mount. Rock solid!

Windshield probably not the best place to mount tho...

Here's how I have mine mounted (center console). It also extents/retracts and swivels up/down/side-2-side
a4-avant-silver-interior_1.jpg

Use responsibly and always consider safety first!

sy0296

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2011
This actually seems alright.

Gigs of music, internet radio (pandora for me), videos (for the passengers...[cough]...), GPS of your choice, best point of interest system (AKA Yelp), etc...

IMO, the mini is a better size though and I will be replacing my set up with one. The bigger screen is awesome but draws the wrong kind of attention (law enforcement, thieves, etc)

scrub0bk

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2008
+1 for ram mount. Rock solid!

Windshield probably not the best place to mount tho...

Here's how I have mine mounted (center console). It also extents/retracts and swivels up/down/side-2-side

Use responsibly and always consider safety first!

Which mount is this? I really want my ipad to sit JUST like this

sy0296

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2011

JohnFromLA

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2012
BEST car mount

This project on Kickstarter (Boomerang) looks really promising, they offer 3 options for your car: air vent mount, suction cup mount and headrest mount.
I backed it couple of days ago and I noticed that they have reached their target goal, so looks good! One more benefit: Boomerang is both stand and mount, so you don't have to change cases, which made me decide to back the project.

http://bit.ly/T0SGhS

Attachments

• Boomerang_carMount.jpg
    Boomerang_carMount.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 309

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
This project on Kickstarter (Boomerang) looks really promising, they offer 3 options for your car: air vent mount, suction cup mount and headrest mount.
I backed it couple of days ago and I noticed that they have reached their target goal, so looks good! One more benefit: Boomerang is both stand and mount, so you don't have to change cases, which made me decide to back the project.

http://bit.ly/T0SGhS

this looks cool. so basically you'd pledge $75 for the boomerang plus air vent mount? tempting

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I've been looking at the Ram Mounts for mine. At first I was thinking about the cup holder mount. Decent placement up front and it can also fit the rear cup holder for when my kids want to watch movies. But, it will lack my heater controls. I might just go with one that mounts to the passenger seat and swivel it as needed.

f150-tron

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2014
I figured to chime in as well. It's crazy to see iPads mounted in the front, but hey some people do it :) I prefer a headrest mount for kids in the back, and these one from Arkon http://www.arkon.com/iPad_accessories/index.html - been a hit in our family. I mean, it has so many different mounting accessories, you can get one for windshield or dashboard mount, heck - even cup holder. But for something as big as iPad, you can't beat their mounts with headrest attachment!!!

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Yikes, you should change the title.

No one is going to mount an iPad on a windshield :D

(Well, maybe in Texas.....or......just kidding :) )

Anyway, unless you drill a hole in the windshield (which is probably illegal), it will fall off. Suction cups and adhesive are worthless in cars. Trust me, i've tried :D

f150-tron

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2014
Yikes, you should change the title.

No one is going to mount an iPad on a windshield :D

(Well, maybe in Texas.....or......just kidding :) )

Anyway, unless you drill a hole in the windshield (which is probably illegal), it will fall off. Suction cups and adhesive are worthless in cars. Trust me, i've tried :D

That's what I said too :) Headrest mount like the one from Arkon I posted above makes more sense. But you know, sometime when you need to use iPad for navigation, you gotta attach it somehow upfront. So those suction cups with an extension arm in Arkon link will come handy. The good thing, you get a lot of different options and don't have to drill holes in windshield :)

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I went with a Ram Mount mounted on one of their 30" rods. I used the bolt behind my passenger's seat. That way my kids can watch my iPad while sitting in the back seat without having to hold it and I can extend it to the front between the center console and passenger seat for easy viewing from me in the driver's seat. Works great!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.