Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MOD.and.OP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
MacBook Pro Early 2011. OS OS X 10.8.2 (12C60). 8GB RAM. 120GB SSD + 500GB 7200RMP HDD. Acer H233H External Monitor via Thunderbolt to HDMI @ 1080p.

Hello guys,

I have an Acer H233H external monitor. I found a professionally calibrated color profile for it via Digital Versus (found here http://goo.gl/PkXC7) It's spot on and makes my screen look much much better.

I started having an issue: When I turned on my mac; the PW prompt screen was a certain hue, then once I logged in; it changed to the color profile. It was very annoying.

I read that a solution was to delete: SSD/Users/Op/Library/ColorSync
I had placed the Acer H233H color profile in this location. I copied the profile and deleted the folder.

I am left with: SSD/System/Library/ColorSync

I tried placing the Acer Color profile in that location but something is broken.

Here's my current issue:

My external monitor can see the profile via the Display Settings. But it will not change to any of them. (Even the one specifically made for it)

When I try to calibrate any of the profiles it says:
Can't calibrate the Display:The Factory profile for the display could not be found.
CkNOd.png

Running the ColorSync Utility: Profile First Aid: Repair and Verify yields no errors.
ColorSync Utility --> Profiles --> Users is Empty.
EZF5n.png

Any help fixing this would be great. I should have moved it instead of deleting it out right. I'm an idiot.

Kzar

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2013
how to calibrate an external monitor?

I'm having a very similar problem with my new 2013 Macbook Pro and an older HP w2207h external monitor.

A few weeks ago, I successfully calibrated the monitor via System Preferences. Since then I've installed various software on this new mac. Now when I try to calibrate the monitor, it displays the same popup as the OP's:
Can't calibrate the display The factory profile for the display could not be found.
popup window

I've tried various Internet-suggested solutions:
  • removed all calibration .icc files from the /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays folder.
  • rebooted so the Mac would recreate the missing factory profile (that did add a new .icc file to Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays, which is also visible in the Color Sync app).
  • added an .icc file from another source (which is visible via the ColorSync app)
  • run the ColorSync Utility -> Profile First Aid -> Repair and Verify which displays no errors (I was getting errors from an Adobe Creative Cloud install but cleared those by moving files).
None of those have worked; I still get the popup window.

Apple seems to be ignoring this problem too: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3738296

Do any of you have suggestions on how I can get this Mac to now calibrate an external monitor?
Or how can I wipe that part clean and start over with new calibrations?

Thanks!

Last edited:

mdavidangst

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2011
official problems dual monitors

This is a bit on the outrageous side.
I cannot believe what they have done with the Dual Monitor issues...
Not only is the ability to no SPAN across monitors a major issue with mine and many other peoples workflow.. but now the calibrations simply do not work.. This so incredibly unacceptable!!

It seems they are making serious efforts to move away from the professional graphics crowd, and to severely piss them off in the process...

WOW!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.