Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkazcura

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
Okay, I made a thread a couple months ago about slow shutdown times. I thought it was related to me downloading Cubby and having it run in the background. I thought it was doing something funky and extending my shutdown times to ~20 seconds. Well fast forward a couple months later, my experiments were pretty bad. Even with no cloud services running, my computer takes 20 seconds to shutdown! I'm starting to think it's because of Mountain Lion because I noticed something else the last couple months.

For no reason at all, my computer has been dwindling in space. I had ~50 GB available a couple months ago, but it went to 30 GB quite randomly a month after installing Mountain Lion. Nowadays it hovers between 20-22 GB. I've not done anything except many transfer/add roughly ~5-10 GB (I could be overestimating heavily here even!) of videos/photos over the last few months.

Also, I right clicked my "Name" folder, which houses all of my files essentially, and I saw that it was taking up ~76 GB. Now this makes sense. My drive capacity is 120 GB, which would mean I should have 44 GB available (but like I said, it only says I have 20 left). This makes a lot more sense and lines up with what I believe I should have. Interestingly enough, I plugged in the Time Machine to do a backup for the first time since that time (2-3 months ago), and it said it needed to back up an additional 30 GB obviously. I checked out the "Name" folder from my past, and it took up 56 GB. Unless my adding is off..I went back into my "Name" folder on my computer and separately added each folder. I've only added about 8 GB. I don't understand how there is a 20 GB increase..I must be missing someting.

I have much less space than I should have, and I did try Disk Utility/repairing the disk.

There is no way Mountain Lion takes up 20 GB..right?

Couple this with the fact that my shutdown time is obnoxious now..I really hope I don't have to reformat.

Otherwise my computer has been running flawlessly, except today where my wifi would randomly weaken. It wouldn't turn off, everything would just load incredibly slow and my video chat/youtube stuff just stopped. I think it was just my school's network/router being funky, though, I hope.

On my Time Machine's latest backup (3 months ago I believe): 53.02 GB when I add it up manually, it says the total of the folder is 58 GB..so yeah I might have missed a calculation or two that's fine.

On my computer I get: 61.77 GB when I add it up, but it says it's taking up 77 GB! I have no idea what's up here.

I'm trying to be as clear as possible so here is the breakdown:

Computer Now

.744 - Dropbox
.0012 - Google Drive
.001 - My Cubby
.098 - SkyDrive
.115 - Desktop
1.42 - Documents
1.05 - Downloads
6.19 - Movies
9.69 - Music
42.46 - Pictures

Says 76.63 GB
Adds up to 61.77 GB

Time Machine Backup ~3 months ago

N/A - Dropbox
.0011 - Google Drive
.001 - My Cubby
.098 - SkyDrive
.066 - Desktop
.928 - Documents
.456 - Downloads
6.19 - Movies
9.21 - Music
36.07 - Pictures

Says 58.06 GB
Adds up to 53.02 GB

I'm sure there are some system files too, but I'm okay with that..I just don't understand the major difference going on here.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.