PDA

View Full Version : Canon XL H1

MacNoobie
Sep 16, 2005, 01:55 PM
Canons new HD version of its XL2 camera.

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=165&modelid=12152

Priced at $8,999 or a full tank of gas :\

Lacero
Sep 16, 2005, 02:00 PM
20x HD lens

HD-SDI at 4:2:2, 1.465 Gbps

Gen-lock TC

HDV 1080i 60i 30f 24f

1440x1080 native CCDs

Cinegamma controls

This camera is gonna kick some serious ass. :D

MacNoobie
Sep 16, 2005, 02:04 PM
20x HD lens

HD-SDI at 4:2:2, 1.465 Gbps

Gen-lock TC

HDV 1080i 60i 30f 24f

1440x1080 native CCDs

Cinegamma controls

This camera is gonna kick some serious ass. :D

Anyway I can sell my first born and a kidney to pay for it (címon I know thereís some lucky lady out there :P), sheesh and I thought working for my first PowerMac (which was $7,500) was bad enough, trouble is I need a HD camera sometime around or before December and the XL2 I fell in love with and now Canon whips the XL H1 out like Michael Jackson at a Boy Scout convention.

LethalWolfe
Sep 16, 2005, 02:32 PM
It will be interesting to see if Canon's gamble pays off. The HD-SDI is great... as long as you can afford the cost of the storage solution to capture from HD-SDI as well as the limited mobility of being tethered to said storage solution while shooting.

But if you take the HD-SDI out of the equation you've basically got an HDV camera drastically more expensive than its competition.

Between Sony, Canon, JVC, and Panasonic it's an interesting time in prosumer camera land.

Lethal

2jaded2care
Sep 16, 2005, 03:23 PM
SMPTE T/C in/out? Finally, for those of us who do multi-cam stuff -- just need to spend more money with Denecke.

Still not sold on HDV though... Anyone know if the HVX200 will have T/C in/out?

Lacero
Sep 16, 2005, 05:22 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/WICKEDPIXEL/photography/4_HDHDVCams_weaponofchoice.jpg

Your vote please.

illegalprelude
Sep 16, 2005, 09:08 PM
im getting the Sony FX1 myself by years end.

LethalWolfe
Sep 16, 2005, 09:33 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/WICKEDPIXEL/photography/4_HDHDVCams_weaponofchoice.jpg

Your vote please.

Coolest looking... I would say the Canon w/the JVC in a close 2nd.

Assuming no show stopping performance issues I think the HVX is gonna have the most legs. HDV vs DVCPro HD as a codec is no contest. And in a year or two when the P2 cards are much bigger and much cheaper the biggest HVX hurdle is gonna be gone.

Lethal

Heb1228
Sep 16, 2005, 09:43 PM
Still not sold on HDV though...
What are the drawbacks of HDV?

MovieCutter
Sep 16, 2005, 11:36 PM
Anyway I can sell my first born and a kidney to pay for it (címon I know thereís some lucky lady out there :P), sheesh and I thought working for my first PowerMac (which was $7,500) was bad enough, trouble is I need a HD camera sometime around or before December and the XL2 I fell in love with and now Canon whips the XL H1 out like Michael Jackson at a Boy Scout convention.

HERE HERE!!! All I can say is <<drooooooooooooooooooooooool>> I'm likely picking up one of these for the Holidays.

MacNoobie
Sep 16, 2005, 11:43 PM
HERE HERE!!! All I can say is <<drooooooooooooooooooooooool>> I'm likely picking up one of these for the Holidays.

a bit OT here but how do you like your Pbook? (I assume you're using it for video editing) I'm thinking about a Pbook but I'm just not impressed with the line of PBooks as far as things like iDVD and iMovie (I briefly had a chance to play with one at the Apple store) so I donít know how good FCS would run on a PBook or I'd just have to learn to adjust my workflow.

MovieCutter
Sep 17, 2005, 10:23 AM
I love it....so much so that I'm selling my main rig to see how I fare without it. The Studio however eats up about 45GB of my 100GB HD. Speedwise, FCP, LiveType, Soundtrack, and DVD Studio run great. Motion dogs the system down a bit (even with 2GB RAM) but that's just the nature of the beast. I love having a mobile editing rig because if I'm ever in a jam when editing a piece in class or something on their systems...I just pull out my book and do all the editing on that.

eXan
Sep 17, 2005, 07:33 PM
Canons new HD version of its XL2 camera.

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=165&modelid=12152

Priced at $8,999 or a full tank of gas :\

My dad has got Sony Hi-def camera recently (not sure how it is called though :D ) and he is very happy with it. But he is a Canon fan, just as I am, so I guess he will want this new camera!

LethalWolfe
Sep 17, 2005, 09:31 PM
What are the drawbacks of HDV?

The amount of compression and the LGOP file structure (that means dropouts are a bigger deal and post workflow takes longer).

Lethal

MacNoobie
Sep 18, 2005, 10:42 PM
Hmmm I'm really debating now, I 'd love a Pbook but I might wait until the end of the month to see if there's any sort of update to the PBook line but it sounds like its perfectly capable of doing what I want it to (mobile editing). So hard to decide what to get, I want to setup a small time video production house in my county since my town has only a few and most of the ones I've seen either donít know what they're doing or if they do just donít have the right tools to do it and seem to do a shady job (They tend to post really small 160x120 movies on the web, higher res videos with heavy compression on em and so forth). On the other end of the spectrum I **LOVE** Photography and a nice EOS-5D setup (upgrade from my Olympus E-20) would be nice.

Ahhh decisions decisions..
Pbook 17"
EOS-5D
Canon or Panasonic

pdpfilms
Sep 19, 2005, 12:00 AM
It looks like a beastle camera, but i am still sticking with the HVX as the top new sub-$1000 HD cam. It has a larger range of variable fream rates, and if i remember correctly, even does 1080p(?). It's also cheaper and smaller. Once those P2 drives drop in price, i think it's going to soar.

ammon
Sep 24, 2005, 05:59 PM
Wow! I have only used the first XL-1 and I loved it. Great for everything with decent light. Hopefully some day I can get me a nice HD camera...

Flying Llama
Sep 25, 2005, 06:41 PM

Your vote please.

I vote for the Canon. Looks like the most professional and modern-looking one. The other ones look a bit too... 80s-90s... to dated and cheap. also:

Any reason why the Canon has a shadow? ;)

llama :)