Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benixau

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Hi, i live in australia and i have a request of every reader of this thread:

please go to
Apple Australia Feedback
and ask them to produce some tv ads. please state that you are from australia. We need apple to support us and they are not. This would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou.

ps. please post what you typed in the main box in a post. this is just so people can see what everyone else is saying and so i can see how many people approx. have helped out.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I'll go first. This is what I filled in:
I live in the U.S and have friends who live in Australia. They tell me that they never see Apple ads on TV there. It is a shame if you aren't running Switch ads there, whether they star Americans or Aussies. Spreading the word about the benefits of Macintosh products and Apple services in Australia should not have to depend only on word of mouth.
I'm sure you'll start seeing ads down under any day now! If not, send me a plane ticket and I'll come and tell Apple Australia in person. I've wanted to visit Australia ever since I read "Alice to Ocean".

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
We have had ads on TV, remember the ibook and iMac ads......

But I'm all support for anything apple tries to do in australia, I just hope the rumors of apple building there own stores are true.....this would truly be amazing.

richie

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
About a week ago, all the AppleCentres in Canberra started really heavy advertising of just about everything - iMac, eMac, iBook, Tower, Powerbook ads, even ads featuring the display rebate. Of course, being produced by a lone shop or two they lacked the high quality of official Apple ads, but it was nevertheless a satisfying sign of at least some effort being made.

If Apple itself would start doing some ads, I think it'd get a huge response - just those little ads I saw were good for the brand.

It's something of a critical time now, for two reasons. Obviously, Christmas shopping season is upon us and that could spur a few sales; but more importantly, the Dell-Dude ads have started here - we need to stop them before it's too late. I sincerely hope the catchcry of "Mate, you've gotta get a Dell" doesn't catch on here - it's painful.

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
I've heard the Office party ads on the radio where you get office for a big discount until christmas or something if you buy a mac...also , it seems to me that I have seen more mac ads in the paper and stuff recently...

benixau

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
thanx doctor q.

this kind of tactic will get them to change their mind.

mac15 - i have not seen an ad in ages. some time ago isnt as recent as dell's ads.

richie - please fill in the from. apple will hopefully listen if people bug them enough.

mmmdreg - i live in sdney as do you i think, which paper??? i havent seen any in a good year or two at least.

ibjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2002
New Zealand
We've had plenty of billboard signs in Melbourne but no Switch ads as far as I know.

Here's what I just wrote:

Hi
It looks like Apple is doing a great job internationally with it's Switch campaign. Don't you think some TV spots would help it take off here in Oz?

i_b_joshua

748s

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2001
Tiger Bay
Originally posted by benixau

mmmdreg - i live in sdney as do you i think, which paper??? i havent seen any in a good year or two at least.

the good weekend magazine, part of saturdays SMH usually has an imac advert on the inside cover. but intel has taken it over recently.....they are promoting something called a digital lifestyle...whatever that is....

benixau

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
k 748s, i will look into it, thankyou.

BUT (there is always one isnt there)

it diesnt change the fact that thee are no switch ads. or even apple ads for that matter.

thankyou to those who have so far sent something in so far. thanx again.

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
the icon section in saturdays SMH always has one as they have a mac column now as wel..the Next section on tuesdays does sometimes...the bulletin magazine does i think sometimes...but mainly its the smh...and macworld :)

benixau

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Originally posted by mmmdreg
and macworld :)

i buy macworld. i also look at APC but they have now rmoved their mac column and only put a few mac things on the CD. normally on those which have pc counterparts aswell and they are putting on there anyways.

PC World does some reviews on macs but they are only samll ones in the first look section or whatever it is called.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
just last week i saw some iMac ads at lots of bus stops, although Apple could defintely do with some more ads, espicially on TV.

also, Apple stores would be the best thing ever.:D

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Originally posted by cb911
just last week i saw some iMac ads at lots of bus stops, although Apple could defintely do with some more ads, espicially on TV.

also, Apple stores would be the best thing ever.:D
today I saw a iMac ad at a bus stop for the first time...maybe its just that I was more on the look out for them

benixau

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Originally posted by mmmdreg

today I saw a iMac ad at a bus stop for the first time...maybe its just that I was more on the look out for them

must say, i did see one on a bus stop in the city where everyone already has a computer. If they were to cover tv with some, or a lot (like dell) of ads then maybe apple would get above the 0.2% market share it has in aussie.

ibjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2002
New Zealand
Apple Australia's Reply:

Dear Joshua

Thanks for your e-mail, we appreciate your feedback. Apple has been
advertising heavily in Australia over the last couple of months and
will continue to do so in the lead up to Christmas. We're pleased to see
that the "switchers" campaign in the US is working well. We are working
with our US colleagues to see how we can bring the campaign to other
parts of the world including Australia.

yours
Giovanna

i_b_joshua

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
I'm cut now :mad:..look what they sent me...exactly the same:
Dear George

Thanks for your e-mail, we appreciate your feedback. Apple has been
advertising heavily in Australia over the last couple of months and
will continue to do so in the lead up to Christmas. We're pleased to see
that the "switchers" campaign in the US is working well. We are working
with our US colleagues to see how we can bring the campaign to other
parts of the world including Australia.

saint

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Sydney
We usually only see TV ads after Apple releases a new product, and we haven't had any new products for a while.

I remember we had a lot of TV ads last Jan when the new iMacs came out, and a lot of iBook ads last year.

At the moment there are lots of iMac poster ads in bus shelters around the city, and I have seen some iBook poster ads around near the universities.

It probably won't be long before we see switch ads on tv though.

benixau

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
looks like they dont really care. that is a go away letter. maybe we shoudl protest, then we could get the media coverage for them, bet they would like that, free media coverage.

thanx to those who have sent something in. i dont think they re listening. if anyone else read this thread, please send it in. it can only help.

thanx again.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
The reply I got was worded slightly differently and had two typos (marked SIC below). Perhaps this is a sign that the replies are personal after all, even if Giovanna pastes in boilerplate text, as you would expect of anyone in charge of replying to feedback forms.
Thank your [SIC] for your e-mail. I can assure you that we are [SIC] have been advertising heavily in Australia over the last couple of months and will continue to do so in the lead up to Christmas. I'm pleased to see that the "switchers" campaign in the US is working well. We are working with our US colleagues to see how we can bring the campaign to other parts of the world including Australia.

Thanks for your e-mail we appreciate your feedback.

yours
Giovanna

ibjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by Doctor Q
The reply I got was worded slightly differently and had two typos (marked SIC below). Perhaps this is a sign that the replies are personal after all, even if Giovanna pastes in boilerplate text, as you would expect of anyone in charge of replying to feedback forms.

looks like you got an early draft.

i_b_joshua

benixau

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
yes, they are personally signed, and i bet that i could create a template like that too and send it away. it woudl be in my folder on the network.

i just hope that they are paying a little bit of attention to the epople who are giving them the feedback they want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.