PDA

View Full Version : Macworld Expo Boston Canceled

MacRumors
Sep 16, 2005, 06:40 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

ZDNet reports (http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-5869536.html) that IDG has canceled Macworld Expo Boston, which was next scheduled for July 10 to 13, 2006. Attendance and interest in the Boston event have lagged ever since Apple withdrew from attending (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2002/10/20021017120834.shtml), which in turn was a result of IDG moving the east coast Expo from New York to Boston in 2004.

"We did it for two years in Boston without Apple," said spokesman Mike Sponseller. However, he said, in talking with exhibitors and others, it became clear that there was not enough demand for future shows. Sponseller said the final decision to cancel the event was made Friday.

Doctor Q
Sep 16, 2005, 06:41 PM
Macworld story (http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/09/16/boston/)

mad jew
Sep 16, 2005, 06:43 PM
Part of me thinks this is a bit sad, but to be honest, without Apple, it was a bit lacklustre anyway. :o

There's only so many Mac related events we can have each year.

Winstonp
Sep 16, 2005, 06:44 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO....

I didn't go though...

killuminati
Good ridance

Moonlight
It does make MWSF more special now.

mad jew
Sep 16, 2005, 06:46 PM
It does make MWSF more special now.

That's what I was trying to say. :)

andiwm2003
Sep 16, 2005, 06:49 PM
thanks apple. one less event for you. let's kill the paris expo next. that's the way to get more marketshare... :rolleyes:

neutrino23
Sep 16, 2005, 06:50 PM
Too bad. I never went as I live near San Francisco (and attend MWSF) but it seems it could have been good. Even if Apple pulled out of MWSF I'd like that to continue, probably on a smaller scale and rethought.

I find the educational sessions to be useful. The exhibits could be redone to reduce cost. I don't care for the big booths with fancy graphics and such. I'd be happier with simpler booths but with more access to people who really know the product.

Doctor Q
Sep 16, 2005, 06:53 PM
Who is going to break the bad news to wdlove? I'm sure he was planning to attend and give us a full report.

Lacero
Sep 16, 2005, 06:54 PM
He's online. And probably reading this thread right now.

He will be replying shortly. :p

reyesmac
Sep 16, 2005, 06:56 PM
Once Apple is using Intel chips it will become the darling of the big PC Expos. Besides, I heard many bad things about the past Boston Expos. You won't have much repeat business with that kind of word of mouth.

aricher
Sep 16, 2005, 06:57 PM
Maybe they'll relocate to NYC. Apple in the Big Apple always had a nice ring to it.

PlaceofDis
Sep 16, 2005, 06:58 PM
not surprising to be honest. wonder if the New York Expo will ever come back? probably not, but it would be interesting. guess this makes the Paris, MWSF and WWDC all that much more important of events.

Mac_Freak
Sep 16, 2005, 07:00 PM
Does this mean that we might again see Macworld Expo New York :D That would be so cool, since I live NYC, but also that would mean that Apple could attend it.

Edit: Damn, I am too late with that response. Oh well. :D

wdlove
Sep 16, 2005, 07:00 PM
I'm greatly saddened, speechless at this point. Once again Steve got his way, no Apple meant decrease attendance.

johnmcboston
Sep 16, 2005, 07:01 PM
thanks apple. one less event for you. let's kill the paris expo next. that's the way to get more marketshare... :rolleyes:

Indeed.

McWorld "east" has had a rocky history. When it left Boston, it was a shadow of itself to begin with. They moved because they didn't like having to use two buildings - bu twhenthey moved, they didn't use all the space they had. Half the 2nd building was empty. Half the other building was the 'big guys'. People like MS or Quark or such who took up huge sections of the convention center. Those kind of displays never really made it to NYC.

I went to McWorld NYC a few times. I used to get there at opening, and rush to finish the show in a day. The last time I went, I was done with the whole show in 2 hours. The vendors had just changed so much - and it seemed half the people I wanted to see weren't there any more. Plus, with the internet and downloads and cost of trade shows - Mac World really wasn't the "sale" place any more. Most places didn't have product at the show, or had no discounts - both strong reasons for me to go to Mac World.

Then APple pulled out of the show after a move to Boston. No one could be that stupid. They must have seen the show going down hill - no way they would so casually throw away that much free advertising. I didn't really care anyway - Having Apple at McWorld was a waste of space - face it, you could never get in their booth anyways - and it was full of people who seemed to have not used Mac before. A boon for Apple, but it didn't do much for we veterans.

The first McW Boston was great. Lots of vendors, and time to talk to them about product. Last years McW Boston was, well, dull. I think guitar center was the most fun booth. 60% of the other booths were ipod accessories. I think I was done with my first pass in 2 hours.

I'm sure there are a ton of other reasons for McW changing. It could be as simple as the cost of the space, and vendors relying on the internet to showcase products rather than paying for trade shows. But unless IDG saw McW Boston chaning for the better, I can see why they decided to pull the plug. sigh.

So how is McW SF? Is it like the older shows, or is it slowing down as well?

wdlove
Sep 16, 2005, 07:04 PM
It would seem that Steve is now start a pull away from the Paris Expo also. Starting with no Keynote. It seems that MWSF and WWDC will be all that is left in 2006. Wonder if age is catching up with Steve?

fixyourthinking
Sep 16, 2005, 07:05 PM
ha ... it really had nothing to do with the show moving to Boston ... it just ended up being a blessing. Apple didn't go to Boston Expo for the same reason MacWorldd moved from New York .... cost.

Apple was able to move summer announcemants to a more important event - World Wide Developers Conference ... and wow did we get an interesting keynote this year!

dizastor
Sep 16, 2005, 07:09 PM
oh noes!

Apple cancelled MacWorld Boston 2 years ago. IDG just realized it today.

Lacero
Sep 16, 2005, 07:09 PM
It would seem that Steve is now start a pull away from the Paris Expo also. Starting with no Keynote. It seems that MWSF and WWDC will be all that is left in 2006. Wonder if age is catching up with Steve?Each Keynote looks like it takes at least a week to produce, especially at MWSF when he does demos. I've done some public speaking in front of large crowds and that required meticulous demos and I can tell you, I wouldn't want to do more than 1 or 2 a year.

sushi
Sep 16, 2005, 07:24 PM
It would seem that Steve is now start a pull away from the Paris Expo also. Starting with no Keynote. It seems that MWSF and WWDC will be all that is left in 2006. Wonder if age is catching up with Steve?
Maybe...or possibly getting more focus.

I see this as a positive move.

Apple has a ton of Apple stores so it is much easier for folks to see Apple and third party products.

Fewer Expos give more focus to the events themselves. Which I am sure SJ likes because he can be center stage.

Additionally, it frees up Apple to concentrate more on new product developement vice Expos scheduling and preparation. In other words, Apple is more free to release new products when they want as opposed to planning for their release around the Expo events. This way the Expos can carry the really big type announcements/shifts and Apple is left free to release other products/upgrades when they want without being time constrained.

Just my .02 cents.

Sushi

Mac_Freak
Sep 16, 2005, 07:29 PM
oh noes!

LOL :D yeah, that cancelation makes more sense right now. Thanks for clarification. So being stubborn doesn't work with Steve, unless he is the one who is resisting. :p

wwooden
Sep 16, 2005, 07:37 PM
Guess this means I will have to go to Paris next year to continue my MacWorld streak....oh wait, that is if that one is still going to happen.

Kobushi
Sep 16, 2005, 07:53 PM
With fewer events, perhaps apple will be a little more selective about their musical guest :rolleyes:

cxny
Sep 16, 2005, 07:57 PM
There are huge amounts of diehard Macheads on the east coast (Blue States)
I think Apple owes the NY metro area a forum for all the money we spend on
Mac products. Boston didn't work but NY could. I'm sure you could fill the Javitz center with vendors hawking iPod accessories alone. Add Jobs to the mix......

840quadra
Sep 16, 2005, 08:30 PM
I am rooting for Steve to push Macworld for Minneapolis or Chicago for a new Macworld. Honestly I can't ever think of a time when I go to any local coffee shop or Library in the Minneapolis area and NOT see an iBook or Powerbook :) .

Gotta mean local sales are good, and I am sure apple is aware of this ;)

hyperpasta
Sep 16, 2005, 08:43 PM
I want MWNY! So many people would come! I would!

Mac_Freak
Sep 16, 2005, 09:08 PM
Apple come to Papa (Big Apple) :p :D

Bear
Sep 16, 2005, 09:30 PM
It boils down to that IDG made a mistake in moving the east coast MacWorld from NYC to Boston.

1) NYC is a bit more central on the coas than Boston is. This makes it easier for people coming from the South to make it.
2) NYC has a lot more flights into it than Boston does.
3) NYC area has a lot more Mac users than the Boston area does.
--This includes both home users and commercial users.

Basically IDG cited costs in moving, but they were short sighted in how much the attendance would drop therefore cutting revenue. (Pennywise and dollar foolish.)

digitalbiker
Sep 16, 2005, 09:33 PM
Great! One less event for Apple to make product announcements at. Soon Apple will only have to update products once a year at MWSF. Whoohoo! :D

Mechcozmo
Sep 16, 2005, 09:38 PM
oh noes!

That's what I was wondering about, too... :confused:

neutrino23
Sep 16, 2005, 09:40 PM

It is slowing down as well. I think the attendance is fine, the number of exhibitors increased last year I believe, but the total booth space declined. They went from using two halls to one at Moscone Center. This was OK. It was nice not having to run between halls.

The business has changed in the last ten years. There used to be so many vendors selling small things like cables and mice and special software that just did one kind of video or graphics effect. There used to be many SCSI HD vendors and SCSI boards and such for plugging in to a Mac.

Back then everything was really pricey so those companies could afford a budget for a booth and a trade show. I recall memory at about $600 for 32MB, a 512MB SCSI HD for $550, video cards were thousands of dollars, high end CRTs were thousands of dollars. Now that a 120GB drive goes for $20 on sale and LCD displays are well under $500 and 1GB of memory is about $100 there is no way companies can afford to budget for a trade show.

Also, your standard Mac comes with a lot of things that used to be accessories. PBs have PC card slots, Bluetooth, WiFi, CD burners, DVD burners and more. OS X is far more complete than System 6 or 7 or 8. I miss the small companies hawking some small, clever gadget or software.

As was said above, with 100 or so stores Apple gets far more traffic in their stores in a week than they do at MWSF. Broadband internet allows you to download demos of any software. You can view videos or pictures of most products. It used to be the only way to view many of these was in a booth.

Xtremehkr
Sep 16, 2005, 09:47 PM
Expanding Apples presence would be good for growth. This move gets a negative rating from me.

broken_keyboard
Sep 16, 2005, 09:51 PM
There's still too many events. MacWorld San Fran and WWDC are enough, Paris is not needed.

heisetax
Sep 16, 2005, 10:02 PM
That's what I was wondering about, too... :confused:

Wasn't Apple's last presence at the MWNY 2002, not the actual MWNY 2003?

Bill the TaxMan

Chip NoVaMac
Sep 16, 2005, 10:08 PM
Indeed.

McWorld "east" has had a rocky history. When it left Boston, it was a shadow of itself to begin with. They moved because they didn't like having to use two buildings - bu twhenthey moved, they didn't use all the space they had. Half the 2nd building was empty. Half the other building was the 'big guys'. People like MS or Quark or such who took up huge sections of the convention center. Those kind of displays never really made it to NYC.

I went to McWorld NYC a few times. I used to get there at opening, and rush to finish the show in a day. The last time I went, I was done with the whole show in 2 hours. The vendors had just changed so much - and it seemed half the people I wanted to see weren't there any more. Plus, with the internet and downloads and cost of trade shows - Mac World really wasn't the "sale" place any more. Most places didn't have product at the show, or had no discounts - both strong reasons for me to go to Mac World.

Then APple pulled out of the show after a move to Boston. No one could be that stupid. They must have seen the show going down hill - no way they would so casually throw away that much free advertising. I didn't really care anyway - Having Apple at McWorld was a waste of space - face it, you could never get in their booth anyways - and it was full of people who seemed to have not used Mac before. A boon for Apple, but it didn't do much for we veterans.

The first McW Boston was great. Lots of vendors, and time to talk to them about product. Last years McW Boston was, well, dull. I think guitar center was the most fun booth. 60% of the other booths were ipod accessories. I think I was done with my first pass in 2 hours.

I'm sure there are a ton of other reasons for McW changing. It could be as simple as the cost of the space, and vendors relying on the internet to showcase products rather than paying for trade shows. But unless IDG saw McW Boston chaning for the better, I can see why they decided to pull the plug. sigh.

Big shows are a problem for smaller vendors and the such. FOSE, the big Fed Government show, in DC is an example. The costs have skyrocketed to a point that smaller vendors were/are being pushed out. Add to that it was a "freebie" fest for anyone with a government ID to get a beanie, a ruler, or what ever freebie was being given out.

When I last was a part of FOSE back in the late 90's; there was great talk from the "local" arms of companies like Cisco, M$, HP, and the such - that FOSE was a waste of ever growing limited resources.

In the end it is all about the best way to spend limited dollars. Apple right now is in a position to call for a press event, where they are the sole attention.

My experience in the photography sector seems to show that September is the time to hit resellers with the Holiday buying spree. Hence we had PMA West that show cased much of what will be offered this Holiday season. June/July/August is too early for many "smaller" retailers to make buying decisions for the Holidays.

LimeiBook86
Sep 16, 2005, 10:46 PM
I still liked the New York expo, it was SO FUN! I'm very happy I went to the MacWorld Creative Pro Expo in 2003, it was a great experience. I hope they bring the New York show back, that was real fun. Oh well maybe one day I can go to the MWSF expo :D

Chundles
Sep 17, 2005, 12:03 AM
There's still too many events. MacWorld San Fran and WWDC are enough, Paris is not needed.

I don't agree, I think one Pro conference and two consumer conferences each year is pretty much spot on. I would like to see them move the consumer one from Paris to somewhere else, maybe ooo.... Sydney?

Macworld Sydney in September, before it gets too hot would be pretty cool.

Didn't there used to be a Tokyo show?

Stella
Sep 17, 2005, 12:53 AM
Life Sucks

Eastend
Sep 17, 2005, 01:07 AM
Didn't there used to be a Tokyo show?

Yeah they had a ton of things there at the 2002 MacWorld Tokyo. Always more people attended the Tokyo show than even the San Francisco one. Steve even gave a Key note at the 2002 in Tokyo I think, something like over 180,000 people attended it.

Brian

Doctor Q
Sep 17, 2005, 01:15 AM
Yeah they had a ton of things there at the 2002 MacWorld Tokyo.It's fun to look back at the product introductions from Macworld Tokyo 2002:

* iMac prices raised to $1399, $1599, and $1799

* 23-inch Cinema HD Display for $3499

* Bluetooth support in Mac OS X

* 5GB iPod for $399

* 10GB iPod for $499

* iPod engraving for $49

fixyourthinking
Sep 17, 2005, 06:29 AM
It boils down to that IDG made a mistake in moving the east coast MacWorld from NYC to Boston.

1) NYC is a bit more central on the coas than Boston is. This makes it easier for people coming from the South to make it.
2) NYC has a lot more flights into it than Boston does.
3) NYC area has a lot more Mac users than the Boston area does.
--This includes both home users and commercial users.

Not a single one of your reasons is accurate, here's the rebuttal:

1) Boston - as far as the crow flies - is really no further ... people flying from the South (like me) actually pay less for a flight to Boston because of Airport fees.

2) It really doesn't matter if there are more flights ... there are enough flights to Boston to make this a non issue

3) Percentage wise / per capita I think you'd find it hard to back up your assumption that there are more Mac Users. I might assume there are MORE IMPORTANT people (such as MIT Artificial Intelligence) that use Macs in Boston.

If Apple had come to Boston, it might be an enormous show. But Apple looked at this as an easy way out to save money.

Abstract
Sep 17, 2005, 07:07 AM
Forget money.

The reason they don't want to do more than 3 of these a year is because there isn't THAT much to tell us. I mean, after WWDC, how much is there to tell us 2 months later? Want a breakthrough new product? They take a long time to develop, and if they're not ready for WWDC, then that gives them 6 months to get it out the door. In fact, 2 keynotes (one every 6 months or so) per year seems like plenty to me. I'd rather not go through dud keynotes, or no keynotes at certain events because it looks bad.

So for this reason, I can see MW Paris disappearing. They only need 2 SteveNotes per year, and they should be spaced out by around 6 months. They can't miss WWDC because it's for developers and so it's good for them, so if they're going to have 2 per year, it'll be MWSF in January, and WWDC in June.

zagato27
Sep 17, 2005, 07:23 AM
I've never been to an expo but would like to. Cancel Paris, add Atlanta. There are Apple guys/gals down here ya know :)

johnmcboston
Sep 17, 2005, 09:10 AM
Forget money.

The reason they don't want to do more than 3 of these a year is because there isn't THAT much to tell us. ...

OK, here's a question. How many people attend the tutorials and such? Last McW Bosotn ones seemed so basic I didn't bother.

Bear
Sep 17, 2005, 09:16 AM
There's still too many events. MacWorld San Fran and WWDC are enough, Paris is not needed.Paris is quite needed for European Mac users. Not everyone can afford to fly across the ocean to see things.

Bear
Sep 17, 2005, 09:19 AM
Great! One less event for Apple to make product announcements at. Soon Apple will only have to update products once a year at MWSF. Whoohoo! :DI'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, so I'm going to treat your comment as serious for a moment.

If you haven't noticed, Apple does a lot of product updates these days not associated with a show. Some without even a press conference. Apple still needs to refres products throughout the year for various reasons.

Less shows is not necessarily a good thing. I know I've gone to MacWorld to see products and play with them and get quesitons answered.

schatten
Sep 17, 2005, 09:35 AM
Hey, wouldn't it be cool if there was some sort of subversive underground expo, attended by die-hard Mac fans? They could kidnap vendors from other Mac-related expos & force them to make speeches & show off product...

Alright, that's a crazy idea, what can I say? too much caffeine.

Chundles
Sep 17, 2005, 09:35 AM
Paris is quite needed for European Mac users. Not everyone can afford to fly across the ocean to see things.

I'm just sick of having to stay up till 2 or 3am to see anything happen... ;)

iAlan
Sep 17, 2005, 09:42 AM
There is more to the Apple World than just the USA.

Paris is needed to serve the Europe community - what could be better is rotating across several countries, UK/Germany/France/UK/Germany/France/etc

And Japan should be reinstated - I think the problem was the location. It was well out of Tokyo and Apple didn't like this fact. They wanted to move it to Tokyo (Tokyo International Forum) but the organizers had a deal with Makuhari Messe and thus the Chiba location. In fact, it was funny because there were signs at the train station as you left saying 'Apple will see you next year at Makuhari Messe' and then Apple pulled out thus the event was cancelled (no reason, not location not cost nothing explained)

I live in central Tokyo, and I was not happy to travel just under 2 hours to attend the TOKYO event.

Apple did have a presence at some of the subsequenrt PC Expos, but nothing major (I didn't even go)

Keep MWSF, keep WWDC, keep MW Europe and reinstate MW Tokyo

broken_keyboard
Sep 17, 2005, 09:52 AM
Paris is quite needed for European Mac users. Not everyone can afford to fly across the ocean to see things.

It's too many shows to come up with new stuff though. MWSF + WWDC = one show every six months. You need at least 6 months to come up with something cool.

broken_keyboard
Sep 17, 2005, 09:54 AM
Hey, wouldn't it be cool if there was some sort of subversive underground expo, attended by die-hard Mac fans?

There does need to be low budget fairs where independent developers can go to show off their stuff, trouble is if Apple doesn't go no one shows up.

SuperChuck
Sep 17, 2005, 10:11 AM
It's too many shows to come up with new stuff though. MWSF + WWDC = one show every six months. You need at least 6 months to come up with something cool.

This really depends - Apple seems to go through spurts where we get something amazing every few months. It really depends on where we are in the lifecycle of major products.

Next year will definitely see more major product announcements sprinkled throughout the year thanks to the Intel changeover. And if Apple continues to expand into consumer electronics (videoPod, iPhone, whatever) these products would be best served by a Stevenote at a major Expo.

wdlove
Sep 17, 2005, 10:41 AM
There does need to be low budget fairs where independent developers can go to show off their stuff, trouble is if Apple doesn't go no one shows up.

That is certainly well said. At least I got to see Steve live and fairly up close at MWNT in 2002. When it was in Boston the first time didn't pay the extra to attend the Keynote. So I shall cherish that experience.

Yebot
Sep 17, 2005, 10:41 AM
I think its time we move the East coast MacExpo the Farm Show Arena in Harrisburg, PA.

http://www.agriculture.state.pa.us/farmshow/lib/farmshow/2005photos/stearweb.jpg

Awwww yeah

broken_keyboard
Sep 17, 2005, 10:49 AM
Awwww yeah

But who would do the cownote?

wdlove
Sep 17, 2005, 10:55 AM
I think its time we move the East coast MacExpo the Farm Show Arena in Harrisburg, PA.

http://www.agriculture.state.pa.us/farmshow/lib/farmshow/2005photos/stearweb.jpg

Awwww yeah

Nice picture. Is that a relative?

jjhny
Sep 17, 2005, 11:08 AM
I've gone to trade shows for years. The MacWorld Shows were big, once upon a time, because that was the only place to go to get info on what was available for Macs. They were the only place to see most everything that was available to you.

Now, anything you need to know can be found on the web (including rumors of upcoming hardware - another show favorite from the past).

Apple pulling out was the last nail in the coffin of the MacWorld show in Boston. But the fact of the matter is, the internet has made these shows not so critical.

So blame the internet!

P.S. The only thing I miss were the big parties thrown by Ingram Micro, etc. Those were great. I also miss picking up the cute sales reps!

Bear
Sep 17, 2005, 11:18 AM
I'm just sick of having to stay up till 2 or 3am to see anything happen... ;)Take a nap and set an alarm. :D

Bear
Sep 17, 2005, 11:22 AM
It's too many shows to come up with new stuff though. MWSF + WWDC = one show every six months. You need at least 6 months to come up with something cool.Apple doesn't need something cool at every show. They just need to be present and maybe announce upgrades of current products at some of the shows.

With several products that each get updated once or twice a year, Apple can have one or two of the updates fall around a given show.

I think you're looking at this with the wrong perspective. Computer Shows like MacWorld and AppleExpo are for marketing products, both current and updated/new ones. WWDC is not something that everyone goes to.

I think an East coast (US) show is probably needed as well, but maybe not too near to when WWDC is.

m-dogg
Sep 17, 2005, 11:32 AM
that's too bad...

inkswamp
Sep 17, 2005, 12:52 PM
While the Mac expos were doubtlessly a good thing, especially in their day, I get the sense that Apple isn't so crazy about events that further draw the line in the sand between the worlds of Macs and PCs. When you think about it, how Macs can live and work just fine in a PC world nowadays, there's very little reason to draw such a distinction or imply that it exists with Mac-only events. Even Apple has blurred the line by releasing iPod/iTunes for Windows, doing their switch campaign, eliminating the hardware that didn't interoperate with the PC world, making Macs far more Windows-friendly, and most recently, jumping to Intel. Despite all that, it's surprising to me how many people still think Macs won't work with Windows, are all proprietary hardware and software, etc.

Too many Mac-only events only further reinforce an image that Apple has clearly been working to eliminate.

enumerated
Sep 17, 2005, 01:40 PM
finally out of it's misery. It was nice in NYC but the Boston move was a horrible idea.

Some_Big_Spoon
Sep 17, 2005, 01:47 PM
Don't know if anyone has suggested this, but what about having "shows" at the larger Apple stores themselves? Like NYC, SF, LA, Chicago.. they own the space, just canopy the outside and you have a good venue with a ridiculous amout of hype. Block off a street for a day (I know, big ass streets, but still), and let fly. Why bother with the MacWorld organizers and their mob kickbacks.

mo0805
Sep 17, 2005, 02:20 PM
Once Apple is using Intel chips it will become the darling of the big PC Expos.

i don't think any macintosh will ever be the "darling" of any PC expo. they dislike our computers as much as we dislike theirs. :p

iFaulder
Sep 17, 2005, 02:21 PM
who didn't see this coming?

mo0805
Sep 17, 2005, 02:29 PM
I am rooting for Steve to push Macworld for Minneapolis or Chicago for a new Macworld. Honestly I can't ever think of a time when I go to any local coffee shop or Library in the Minneapolis area and NOT see an iBook or Powerbook :) .

Gotta mean local sales are good, and I am sure apple is aware of this ;)

One of the many reasons to love the TC. :D

pubwvj
Sep 17, 2005, 03:17 PM
Apple didn't kill MacWorld Expo. It was Mitch Hall Ass. and friends. They charged way, way too much for booth space. With so many shows to exhibit at vendors, myself included, had to pick and choose. It cost a minimum of $50,000 for us to exhibit all costs included and a signficant portion of that was simply the booth space. We (http://flashmag.com and http://blacklightning.com) exhibited since the early 90's. Even back then, during the hay day of the Boston MacWorld Expo there were way too many empty booths and it just got worse during the late 90's. To make matters worse, the show organizers split the show up between two different halls that were widely separated across the city. This wasn't necessary at all because even the single hall was bigger than they needed. The organizers have been killing this show for over a decade.

oskar
Sep 17, 2005, 03:26 PM
I think this is good thing in the sense that people can look forward to "real" Apple events where they are actually present. I feel that MW Boston had turned into more of a consumer and user-only event, which is not a bad thing, but people were pretty much seeing only the same products and once in a while minor updates, when what everyone expects is something new.

In respect to Apple Expo Paris, I think the problem is that Apple can't make an event showing off a new product and then traveling around the world to present the very same product. Everybody already knows about it by then. This is probably what's happening at this years AEP. There probably isn't much to announce.

johnmcboston
Sep 17, 2005, 04:02 PM
Hey, wouldn't it be cool if there was some sort of subversive underground expo, attended by die-hard Mac fans? They could kidnap vendors from other Mac-related expos & force them to make speeches & show off product...

Alright, that's a crazy idea, what can I say? too much caffeine.

Don't think it's crazy. IDG isn't the only company running shows. Wouldn't mind seeing a big 'sale' show with products and sale items. :)

hoppo99
Sep 17, 2005, 06:19 PM
I've gone to trade shows for years. The MacWorld Shows were big, once upon a time, because that was the only place to go to get info on what was available for Macs. They were the only place to see most everything that was available to you.

Now, anything you need to know can be found on the web (including rumors of upcoming hardware - another show favorite from the past).

Apple pulling out was the last nail in the coffin of the MacWorld show in Boston. But the fact of the matter is, the internet has made these shows not so critical.

Exactly right. Back in the day these shows were one of the few opportunities for showing off your products. Now with the internet they are needed less and less.

Makes sense though to have one show for North America, Europe and Asia. So bring back the Japan show and keep the Paris Expo relevant!

Bear
Sep 17, 2005, 08:49 PM
Don't know if anyone has suggested this, but what about having "shows" at the larger Apple stores themselves? Like NYC, SF, LA, Chicago.. they own the space, just canopy the outside and you have a good venue with a ridiculous amout of hype. Block off a street for a day (I know, big ass streets, but still), and let fly. Why bother with the MacWorld organizers and their mob kickbacks.The stores aren't large enough to support more than the current traffic they get. The NYC SoHo store is always crowded with lines at the registers.

As for blocking off the streets, some cities may have an issue with that. And actually the streets wouldn't add enough extra space. And actually the street that the NYC SoHo store is on is rather small and has a fair bit of foot traffic so blocking it off would be a bad idea.

VanMac
Sep 17, 2005, 09:47 PM
No Apple, No Expo, No suprise....

latergator116
Sep 17, 2005, 09:53 PM
I'm dissapointed, but can't say I'm surprised. For me at least, the Boston expo was much more convenient (not only because I live an hour away), but trying to navigate NYC in July is not fun.

edit: Too bad Apple pulled out when they moved to Boston. Probably just another case of Jobs throwing a hissy-fit for not getting his way.

broken_keyboard
Sep 17, 2005, 11:16 PM
Don't know if anyone has suggested this, but what about having "shows" at the larger Apple stores themselves? Like NYC, SF, LA, Chicago.. they own the space, just canopy the outside and you have a good venue with a ridiculous amout of hype. Block off a street for a day (I know, big ass streets, but still), and let fly. Why bother with the MacWorld organizers and their mob kickbacks.

I think that's a great idea, though I wouldn't close the streets! Just close the store for normal business and have stalls inside. And just small up and coming developers who have something interesting to show.

Detlev
Sep 18, 2005, 08:09 AM
Maybe they'll relocate to NYC. Apple in the Big Apple always had a nice ring to it.

Radio (WBUR) is saying MacWorld is consolidating down to one major event a year.

Detlev
Sep 18, 2005, 08:19 AM
edit: Too bad Apple pulled out when they moved to Boston. Probably just another case of Jobs throwing a hissy-fit for not getting his way.

This has been reviewed before. There is no evidence of "Jobs throwing a hissy-fit" but there is plenty of evidence that MacWorld just made a business choice that didn't pan out the way they expected. Don't forget, there are other players in the story also.

nsjoker
Sep 18, 2005, 02:08 PM
i can't honestly blame them. this doesn't come as a surprise at all. for the past two years macworld expo in boston has been like a bunch of crappy opening bands with no headliner.

ltgator333
Sep 18, 2005, 02:58 PM
I realize that by Apple not showing up that it makes a big difference and there may be other reasons for this happening, but I think this is just yet another indicator of the whole "changing of the guard" when it comes to the people, attitudes, technology, and politics of the Apple community that has been slowly occuring since the late 90's.

wdlove
Sep 18, 2005, 05:56 PM
Radio (WBUR) is saying MacWorld is consolidating down to one major event a year.

Would that just be continuing with MWSF only? Maybe someday I can save enough to attend.

Mr.Hey
Sep 18, 2005, 07:30 PM
I'm greatly saddened, speechless at this point. Once again Steve got his way, no Apple meant decrease attendance.

Steve? They shouldn't have moved it from N.Y.C in the first place. But those jerks thought they knew better. Serves them right.

inkswamp
Sep 18, 2005, 08:31 PM
When Apple switches to Intel, there will be considerably fewer "one more thing" type surprises to unveil and so the fewer of these kinds of shows with Steve Jobs keynotes, the better. Speed bumps will be concurrent with the rest of the industry (hopefully!) and therefore will not be a surprise. I don't see how Apple is going to pull out that many surprises anymore. Maybe once a year with some major new piece of software or a new consumer item of some sort, but the days of waiting on the edge of your seat for the announcement of an anticipated speed bump will be over. I don't see how Apple can keep processor speed increases with Intel chips a secret (or at least a secret worth keeping.)

Roller
Sep 18, 2005, 08:59 PM
I have some fond (and some not so fond) memories from Boston expos. Anyone remember the time the air conditioning failed at the Bayside Expo Center? Or the fun shuttling between the hotels and the two venues by bus in the summer heat and humidity? Still, you were always assured of seeing some really cool new products for the first time.

These days, it doesn't make sense for Apple to invest in several large trade shows a year, and the same applies to many other major and minor vendors. That's especially true now that most Mac peripherals are now commodity items that are virtually identical to their Windows PC counterparts.

mn_hawk
Sep 19, 2005, 08:17 AM
Perhaps this will be the beginning of Apple iPod Expos where they can discuss all of the things you can do with an mp3 player (is there more than one?) and for the "one more thing", Steve can remind us that Apple still builds computers . . . assuming they still do. :rolleyes:

Evangelion
Sep 19, 2005, 08:43 AM
I don't agree, I think one Pro conference and two consumer conferences each year is pretty much spot on. I would like to see them move the consumer one from Paris to somewhere else, maybe ooo.... Sydney?

Bad idea. Conference in Sydney would be pretty much restricted to Australians (and maybe New Zealanders), whereas Expo in paris would be accessible to the French, British, Germans, BeNeLux, Scandinavia....

trose
Sep 19, 2005, 09:31 AM
Well, having moved to Maine from Montana, I was excited to be close to a Macworld. When I found out Apple wasn't going to be there, I decided it wasn't worth the drive down.
So, yes, I see why they are cancelling the show. On the other hand, I don't see why Apple withdrew from Macworld Boston, since Boston and Massachusetts are both quite Apple centric.

Ah well.

wdlove
Sep 19, 2005, 10:17 AM
I have some fond (and some not so fond) memories from Boston expos. Anyone remember the time the air conditioning failed at the Bayside Expo Center? Or the fun shuttling between the hotels and the two venues by bus in the summer heat and humidity? Still, you were always assured of seeing some really cool new products for the first time.

These days, it doesn't make sense for Apple to invest in several large trade shows a year, and the same applies to many other major and minor vendors. That's especially true now that most Mac peripherals are now commodity items that are virtually identical to their Windows PC counterparts.

Yes, I also remember my time at MacWorld fondly. Don't remember the A/C incident though. Do remember the shuttle bus rides very well. Had that pleasure in NYC once. Getting to see a lot of Mac vendors in one place was awesome. That is what I will miss the most.
:(

djlu
Sep 19, 2005, 10:54 AM
I guess this is really no surprise but the economics don't make any sense. Running a convention in Javits is just too expensive. Although Boston is cheaper if you run it at Hynes, It is not really the same thing.

The better convention centers that are reasonable are in Baltimore and the new one in Washington DC. I don' think either of these fit into Apple or IDC's plans.

Also the attendanace at all computer shows have been dropping for quite a while and I don't think the companies want to pay the exorbitant booth fees.

doug

tveric
Sep 19, 2005, 01:38 PM
I can't believe IDG just now heard about MacWorld East getting cancelled. I mean, jeez, Apple cancelled it two years ago.

Aqua Structure
Sep 19, 2005, 11:37 PM
Steve? They shouldn't have moved it from N.Y.C in the first place. But those jerks thought they knew better. Serves them right.
Do you how fanatical you sound when you say that?

numediaman
Sep 20, 2005, 12:52 PM
Big shows are a problem for smaller vendors and the such. FOSE, the big Fed Government show, in DC is an example. The costs have skyrocketed to a point that smaller vendors were/are being pushed out. Add to that it was a "freebie" fest for anyone with a government ID to get a beanie, a ruler, or what ever freebie was being given out.

When I last was a part of FOSE back in the late 90's; there was great talk from the "local" arms of companies like Cisco, M$, HP, and the such - that FOSE was a waste of ever growing limited resources.

Both MW and FOSE share something in common: they are both run by companies without imagination, and very little ability or desire to concentrate on good customer relations. I wouldn't be surprised to see the WaPost Company sell off their entire tech division -- it is a small (and getting smaller) part of the magazine division (which, in reality, is simply Newsweek).