Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cthesky

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2011
Hi all,

Is it a requirement for an IPad application to support all interface orientations? Will an app being rejected if not support multiple orientations? Will it get rejected if it is just support Portrait orientation only?

Appreciate any comments and suggestions. Thanks. :)

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Still you should support both versions of the orientation you do support especially Portrait (home button top) I've seen a lot of portrait only (home button bottom) apps, they don't last very long unless they are really good.

Sorry more from a user perspective than any requirement.

jnoxx

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2010
Aartselaar // Antwerp // Belgium
They used to reject apps (we've had it), if you only support 1 orientation, with that I mean, if you have landscape left, you also should support landscape right etc. But when we were working with FLEX, it had rotating issues, that's when we discovered we got rejected for that reason.
I don't know the rules about it now, but the guy above gave some good advice.

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
I was just playing with several of Apple's apps on my iPhone. Camera app and Voice Memos are the only two I found that support upside down portrait mode. Several do not support landscape. As a user I find this annoying. If you can support the other orientations, and it makes sense, add this nicety for your users who will appreciate it.

The Phone app only supports one orientation, right side up portrait. Given the expected use, that makes sense for when you will use the phone. It essentially forces you to keep the orientation correct for phone calls.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.