Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vgonman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2012
Long Beach, CA
I have a Mid 2010 Mac Mini that I just installed a new HDD (1TB) and did a fresh install of 10.8.2 onto it (old drive has 10.6.8). One thing I noticed with the new install is that network transfer speeds (from Mini thru gigabit switch to gigabit equipped NAS) are slow compared to 10.6.8.

I just did some poking around in the System Info window on "About This Mac", and noticed that it says "Media Subtype: 100base TX". When I manually try to force it to 1000baseT (gigabit), the Mac acts like the LAN cable is unplugged.

Anybody know what's going on, and how to get the full speed out of my NIC on 10.8.2?

prisstratton

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
I have a Mid 2010 Mac Mini that I just installed a new HDD (1TB) and did a fresh install of 10.8.2 onto it (old drive has 10.6.8). One thing I noticed with the new install is that network transfer speeds (from Mini thru gigabit switch to gigabit equipped NAS) are slow compared to 10.6.8.

I just did some poking around in the System Info window on "About This Mac", and noticed that it says "Media Subtype: 100base TX". When I manually try to force it to 1000baseT (gigabit), the Mac acts like the LAN cable is unplugged.

Anybody know what's going on, and how to get the full speed out of my NIC on 10.8.2?

Are you using CAT 5E or CAT 6 cable ??

Vgonman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2012
Long Beach, CA
It's CAT 5e...

But the only things that changed were the HDD and the OS. I was getting gigabit with 10.6.8, but not 10.8.2, with the same cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.