Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trvsglr

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2009
I picked up an Apple tv about a week ago and i can't get enough of it! When I try to connect my PC through Home Sharing though I'm not sure its working right. I turned Home Sharing on and entered the same Apple ID and password on my PC and Apple tv, but when i go to the computers section on the Apple tv my PC does not show up. They are connected to the same wifi and everything. Any help, thank you!

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I picked up an Apple tv about a week ago and i can't get enough of it! When I try to connect my PC through Home Sharing though I'm not sure its working right. I turned Home Sharing on and entered the same Apple ID and password on my PC and Apple tv, but when i go to the computers section on the Apple tv my PC does not show up. They are connected to the same wifi and everything. Any help, thank you!

Did you turn on home sharing in iTunes as well as the Apple TV? Is the PC on running iTunes when you try to connect?

trvsglr

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2009
Did you turn on home sharing in iTunes as well as the Apple TV? Is the PC on running iTunes when you try to connect?

Yes, Home Sharing is activated on both devices and I leave my PC with iTunes up and running on it.

slothrob

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
I turned Home Sharing on and entered the same Apple ID and password on my PC and Apple tv, but when i go to the computers section on the Apple tv my PC does not show up.
You may have already done this, but I'd double check to be sure that you signed into Home Sharing with the same ID and Password, on both the computer and aTV. Try signing out of Home Sharing on both, then back in on the computer then the aTV.

Last edited:

trvsglr

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2009
I appreciate everyone's feed back and i have tried all of the above suggestions. Here is the message i get under the "computers" section of the Apple TV.

Apple TV Message.JPG

I hope i did that right, Does this mean it worked? I'm sorry everyone, I'm just so lost with this!

X5-599

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2012
I appreciate everyone's feed back and i have tried all of the above suggestions. Here is the message i get under the "computers" section of the Apple TV.

View attachment 380251

I hope i did that right, Does this mean it worked? I'm sorry everyone, I'm just so lost with this!

I know this is not helping, but are you on Mac or Windows? I ask because when trying to share using Windows (XP) iTunes it doesn't work me. Surprisingly, when using Mac version it does... Both are the latest iTunes versions btw.
I haven't found anything related on the web. I turned off Firewalls, restarted Bonjour and other Apple services but nothing helped. Eventually I gave up and just thought: "Crap Windows version!"

bjm2660

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Virginia
Sometimes connecting as a guest because of convenience limits the network privileges in such a way as to render some of our expensive toys useless.

I had an ongoing problem where I was unable to AirPlay to my apple tv because I had connected it to as a guest on my AirPort Extreme Base Station. I switched it back to the main one and the problem went away. In my case, the guest password was easier to remember, but it comes with some limits.

trvsglr

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2009
I know this is not helping, but are you on Mac or Windows? I ask because when trying to share using Windows (XP) iTunes it doesn't work me. Surprisingly, when using Mac version it does... Both are the latest iTunes versions btw.
I haven't found anything related on the web. I turned off Firewalls, restarted Bonjour and other Apple services but nothing helped. Eventually I gave up and just thought: "Crap Windows version!"

PC, Windows 7.

X5-599

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2012
PC, Windows 7.

Huh, then I guess: Here's to hoping for iTunes 11. Although it doesn't make sense to me that the option is built in but doesn't work in the Windows version. Also, why can't I find anything on the web regarding this issue...
I'd like to hear from Windows users who have no problem with the ATV and Home Sharing. Surely there have to be some. Windows users, I mean. It seems improbable that 99% of ATV users are on Macs.

JoeBlow74

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
Turn off windows firewall. Trust me when I say this. Try a different network cable. I had a cable that had a messed up connector that would flop around when my wife put her candle holder on the wire causing a disconnect. It sounds stupid but try it.

trvsglr

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2009
Turn off windows firewall. Trust me when I say this. Try a different network cable. I had a cable that had a messed up connector that would flop around when my wife put her candle holder on the wire causing a disconnect. It sounds stupid but try it.

A different cable for my wireless router? Or a different cable for the Apple tv? I am going wireless from my router to the Apple tv. They are in seperate rooms.

frankdogg

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2011
253, WA
I would check your iTunes setting/prefs to make sure that your entire library is being shared and that it is not password protected. Just helping you check possible loose ends.

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001

I realize you stated both devices are on the same wifi but just for kicks what are the IP addresses of both devices... It's a long shot but perhaps a rogue DHCP demon is mucking up the werks...

trvsglr

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2009
Just ealier tonight bewfore i left for work I synced my iPhone and I noticed near the top of iTunes on my PC was an airplay button, does this have anything to do with Home Sharing? It was there for a little and when I clicked on it an option was there for my Apple TV, but then it went away and it has not been back since. I have tried restarting and everyting to try to get it to pop up but nothing. Also my Apple TV was asleep while this happened. I tried turning it on hoping that maybe my PC would detect it but nothing.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Just ealier tonight bewfore i left for work I synced my iPhone and I noticed near the top of iTunes on my PC was an airplay button, does this have anything to do with Home Sharing? It was there for a little and when I clicked on it an option was there for my Apple TV, but then it went away and it has not been back since. I have tried restarting and everyting to try to get it to pop up but nothing. Also my Apple TV was asleep while this happened. I tried turning it on hoping that maybe my PC would detect it but nothing.

That means you can share your desktop with your Apple TV. (your screen will display on your TV via the ATV)

Legios

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2012
What router are you using, I recently switched to Fios and use the provided Router which totally broke home sharing unless I changed some settings deep within the router.

Legios

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2012
Cant remember off the top of my head but I changed the setting and it automagically worked.

trvsglr

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2009
Ok, my Home Sharing is now working! I just used it tonight and worked perfect. Not sure what the problem was, tonight for kicks I gave it a shot and everything worked fine. My entire iTunes library was on my tv! Hopefully it stays working!

Layton10

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2012
I have no suggestion about Apple TV home sharing because now I have no any Apple TV but I am so much interested about Apple TV. Also I want to buy it but I have no enough money. So, off course I will buy it after some days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.