Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
Bought the mini with the I7 processor to use as a media server. I have about 150 DVD's(not encrypted) that I will put on the mini and use my Apple TV to view on my HDTV. I ordered the 16 gig crucial Memory( about $72 ). So far, everything is working out nicely. I use my SuperDrive and Handbrake with my AppleTV 3 set as a pre-set. The I7 rips a 2 hour movie in about 15-20 minutes. I then just drag it into Itunes Movies and it is available on my HDTV. Now, I just have to do it another 145 times!!! ( I have a 1TB WD My Passport hooked up to the Time Machine and it is doing a backup as we speak).

I was considering the Imac 21, but I do a lot of my laptop stuff, using my 15 inch rMBP. The Mini seemed like the right choice for what I need it for.

( I hooked up my rMBP and used Migration Assistant to move all my files and programs over to my new mini. Used a Thunderbolt cable. Everything moved, as advertised.)

PaulKemp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2009
Norway
Is this just an informative post?

Seems like a sexy solution. And I think many would like to just have the mini as a movie iTunes library. Or maybe even other solutions like Plex or XBMC. I'm using my 2011 mini as a server, and its working OK. Some known issues with screen sharing.

How do you handle metadata on the DVDs? Could you post a short guide with some info and maybe a screenshot of the library?

AlfaLavala

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
Aberdeen, UK
Is this just an informative post?

Seems like a sexy solution. And I think many would like to just have the mini as a movie iTunes library. Or maybe even other solutions like Plex or XBMC. I'm using my 2011 mini as a server, and its working OK. Some known issues with screen sharing.

Can you have it playing a movie via XBMC/iTunes whilst connected to a TV and then use screen sharing to do some stuff in the background without disturbing the user watching the movie?

PaulKemp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2009
Norway
Can you have it playing a movie via XBMC/iTunes whilst connected to a TV and then use screen sharing to do some stuff in the background without disturbing the user watching the movie?

I dont think so. On windows machines this works well when you are using it with a different username. So lets say JhonDoe is logged in and watching a movie, and you use your adminjoe user to use screen sharing. If it works anything like windows machines this would work. But I have not tried. So I have to rememebr to start plex before I exit out if the missus is going to watch something.

You can tweak this with applescript, ala "if this machine is idle for 15 min, start application x" etc. I have not done that either, :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.