PDA

View Full Version : How To Date An Apple Employee

efoto
Sep 17, 2005, 01:32 AM
So I come to you this eve, asking advice to this extent:

How would one go about dating an Apple employee??

(of a local Apple store....not Apple corporate, perhaps it doesn't matter, I don't know)

yenko
Sep 17, 2005, 02:19 AM
So I come to you this eve, asking advice to this extent:

(of a local Apple store....not Apple corporate, perhaps it doesn't matter, I don't know)

Did you try asking! :D

WillMak
Sep 17, 2005, 02:20 AM
Ask the employee about on the job horror stories. then share some of your horror stories. Once that's been settled and a few laughs have been made just ask some simple questions (how do you like working here, do you go to school, are you a psycho and etc). once you guys have a vibe goin on ask her/him if he/she is single. Then whip out your phone and get the digits.

LethalWolfe
Sep 17, 2005, 02:57 AM
Ask her if you can mount your drive on her desktop.

Lethal

baummer
Sep 17, 2005, 03:30 AM

Lethal

LOL. Seriously, just ask!! You've got nothing to lose. If they say no, it's their loss.

risc
Sep 17, 2005, 03:41 AM
Is this a joke or what? Are people that work in retail different to the rest of us? Am I missing something here?

Giaguara
Sep 17, 2005, 03:47 AM
Be (the positive side of) yourself and just try.

I'm really bad in advising for pickup lines etc so just say something nice to start with. ;)

zelmo
Sep 17, 2005, 04:23 AM
Is that a nano in your pocket or are you just not very thrilled to see me?

iMeowbot
Sep 17, 2005, 04:24 AM
Make sure you read that EULA before clicking OK. It's a killer.

mad jew
Sep 17, 2005, 04:27 AM
Lick my mini.

Oh, wait, that may be a bit too forward. :o

~loserman~
Sep 17, 2005, 04:34 AM
Can I dock my Pod?

Deepdale
Sep 17, 2005, 04:39 AM
[QUOTE=LethalWolfe]Ask her if you can mount your drive on her desktop./QUOTE]

:) Asking is clearly worth a shot. What's the worst that can happen ... being told that going for coffee is okay, but no new discs are being allowed in her Superdrive for the forseeable future? It might help if you have a letter from Steve approving of this.

Chaszmyr
Sep 17, 2005, 04:52 AM
As someone who used to work at an Apple Store, I can say with certainty there are at least some Apple Store employees that wish someone would walk in and ask them out :p

Abstract
Sep 17, 2005, 07:14 AM
Is this a joke or what? Are people that work in retail different to the rest of us? Am I missing something here?

Think different. Think about long-term discounts........and relationships (with Apple!)

steeleclipse
Sep 17, 2005, 09:02 AM
tell them you apple-care about them alot :D

Mac_Freak
Sep 17, 2005, 09:03 AM
Think different. Think about long-term discounts........and relationships (with Apple!)

aaahhh, relationship with benefits :p :D

as her/him if she/he would like to rip your iPod. :D

tpjunkie
Sep 17, 2005, 09:35 AM
aaahhh, relationship with benefits :p :D

as her/him if she/he would like to rip your iPod. :D

er that one seems a little painful...

jelloshotsrule
Sep 17, 2005, 10:15 AM
Lick my mini.

Is that a nano in your pocket or are you just not very thrilled to see me?

so you guys have size issues eh?

efoto
Sep 17, 2005, 10:22 AM
Wow, I am the brink of being completely floored by all the responses, some of which are heartfelt, the others make my sides hurt :D

I had intended, at the time of authoring, that this be a legitimate question....I really could use some advice :o , but the slew of pseudo-humorous to outrageously inappropriate (in the best way possible) has been great, thank you all for those too.

I realize asking straight up is probably the best way to do it, however that can be harder than it seems for some people. I am quite extroverted and do well with people in most situations, however if I set my sights on a girl that I like I get a little cotton-mouthed and never have the right words. Thinking this, I never approach and being said words because I am convinced they are wrong.

Disclaimer:
What follows is very long, overly rich, and poorly written. Proceed with caution.

Alright, so with some ambiguity (to protect myself, I pray she is not a MR member :p), here is what has happened, leading up to the question for advice:
Go to Apple Store, browse around and tell all the male workers I am just looking and do not require or want their assistance. Wait for some time until I see a cute female employee working nearby. She becomes free, I ask her a question regarding an Apple product (go figure), at the time Tiger because I was still running Panther. We start talking, this leads to that, off-topic conversations that we both seem to be enjoying, the whole while I am wondering if it is okay for her to "hangout" talking to me like this. Don't you have other people to help?
Eventually she wanders off to help someone else. I browse for a while longer, another female approaches and I being exchanging words with her, in regards to OSX in general, which she does not know the answers to. She calls the first girl over, who also does not know. The three of us proceed to stand around a single system, trying to figure out how to do what it is I asked how to do. This whole time, I am quite confident in the solution, however I am quite curious in their suggestion for a solution.
Alright, anyway. So she leaves after swinging by to say goodbye, because she is about to be done with work. I decide to purchase Tiger, which once I reach the counter they inform me I cannot exercise my student pricing in B&M stores. Dismayed and cheated, I return the product to the shelf and proceed to exit the store, since my product cannot be purchased and the lovely help has all but left for the day.
Transition 10-15 minutes in advance. I am no longer in the Apple Store, and am meandering around the mall looking for something else. I happen to stop at a store where the storefront is partially in the mall (when looking at the products, I am still on "neutral ground"). She walks by. I notice her, but don't really know what to say so I say nothing. She continues to pass, and then it comes. I hear "hey", turn, and am greeted by none other than the lovely Apple Store employee who left me to finish her shift. She looks even better without the baggy green shirt and lassoed name-tag. I return her 'greeting' and she gives an offering, jokingly, of advice in regards to the store I am standing at. I give a not-so-witty reply (lost my words, again), and after a short exchange she says, "see you later". Now she might have even said "hope to...." before that, but I am not sure so I won't assume it was said.
Fast forward a week or so. Next time I am in town I go to the Apple Store again. I see the same girl working, further back in the store. I meander in the front for a short while, and then muster the courage to purge deeper into the belly. We make eye-contact for a short instant. Next thing I know, she is taking off towards the back room, never to be seen again (or for as long as my patience lasted). She is back there some time, so I eventually leave, since I was never really looking at anything in the store. Another weekend, similar encounter save for this time I was with a friend of mine. I make eye-contact with her again, briefly, and next thing I know she b-lines it for the back room. I don't see her again as I am not looking for anything, my friend is a moron and doesn't use Macs so he isn't interested, and we leave shortly after entering.

Alright, now if she has a good memory and likes me at all, she would probably remember that exchange. I have a great memory, hence my recollection of the events. So the gist being, I suck when it comes to talking with girls. I have a lot of girl friends because I am a ''nice guy'', but I have very few dating relationship currently (at 0 sadly), and am looking to increase those. Any advice to how to approach and what is a valid offer of something to do for a first date that isn't overly forward?

If you survived reading that entire installment, I commend you.
If you have reached the end without reading the middle, that is quite fine, just give your advice on how to talk to women.

devilot
Sep 17, 2005, 10:34 AM
I hate to say it efoto, but the situation sounds dire.

As a woman who has worked retail, I am sure she remembers you as well... and... if she had been interested, I think she would have found an excuse to 'help' you out. :(

:edit: and yes, I read through the whole post. :p

skunk
Sep 17, 2005, 10:42 AM
Not looking good. Unless she was hoping you'd follow her into the back of the store...

efoto
Sep 17, 2005, 10:42 AM
I hate to say it efoto, but the situation sounds dire.

As a woman who has worked retail, I am sure she remembers you as well... and... if she had been interested, I think she would have found an excuse to 'help' you out. :(

:edit: and yes, I read through the whole post. :p

Fine fine, I could see that (but I refuse to believe it :D ). Can you offer any insight as to why she would have made contact outside of her paid-to-make-contact environment (I took this to mean at least slight interest) and then the next chance she seems to skirt off? It is almost like we hooked up at a party, she said all the right things, then in the morning woke up and saw what I looked like....never to return :p. I will make the wild assumption she wasn't drunk, and therefore the above statement has some holes in it....can you fill any?

devilot
Sep 17, 2005, 10:49 AM
She might have had a really boring work day and you were a fun and cheery face/voice... and just said a friendly 'heya' after her shift...

But when you show up two more times and you seem to express interest-- that is borderline creepy. Think about it, what if she thought you were trying to hook up w/ her after her shift?

runninmac
Sep 17, 2005, 10:51 AM
What applestore was this? Woodland im assuming...

I hate to say it but the situations not looking good. If I were you I wouldnt go into there for a while (2+ weeks) and then next time you go in dont make eyecontact with her. Then if she aproches you ask her.

Lacero
Sep 17, 2005, 10:55 AM
One day, just rush into the store and shout "I Love You!". That should get her attention.

runninmac
Sep 17, 2005, 10:56 AM
One day, just rush into the store and shout "I Love You!". That should get her attention.

& creep her out ;)

Lacero
Sep 17, 2005, 11:00 AM
Could you surreptitiously take a photo of her with an iSight and post her picture here? I wanna see just how gorgeous this girl is. Or what that be too much to ask?

clayj
Sep 17, 2005, 11:16 AM
Lick my mini.

Oh, wait, that may be a bit too forward. :oIn your case, it's just inaccurate. Shouldn't it be "Lick my nano"? :D

CanadaRAM
Sep 17, 2005, 11:43 AM
Here's the thing:

When she approached you, it was on her terms. Maybe she wanted to chat, maybe she thought you were interesting, whatever.

When you came back later and initated eye contact, it was on your terms, and that changed the whole dynamic, and took the control of the interaction out of her hands and into yours.

Remember, she HAS to be there 'cause it's her job. So, she knows that any number of anonymous guys can show up whenever they like to hit on her (and probably do on a weekly basis) - that can feel threatening. Running into the back would be a clue here.

I don't see a hopeful ending here. Hanging around the Apple store or the mall at shift changing times would be, well, not good unless you want a close up introduction to the big guy from Security. If you hafta go into the Apple store for Apple reasons, seek out the first male employee you see for help and do not make eye contact with Ms. X.

Sorry dude, all the lights are red at this intersection.

wdlove
Sep 17, 2005, 12:01 PM
I wish you all the best efoto. There is just no way to know for sure what her past actions mean. You will just need to seize the next opportunity and be very polite.

QCassidy352
Sep 17, 2005, 12:04 PM
Sorry dude, all the lights are red at this intersection.

Sadly, I agree. There are other possible explanations, but I'm afraid occam's razor (http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/OCCAMRAZ.html) applies here. ;)

Josh
Sep 17, 2005, 12:08 PM
Just tell her she's the Apple of your eye.

hahaha lol..I kill me.....

ok, maybe not.

But yeah - do not stalk her at her workplace. Never turns out for the better.

Plus, girls like mystery and by showing up in a place you KNOW she will be, you're removing all the mystery.

If you can, without stalking her or being creepy, find out what other stuff she likes besides Apple, or where you might have an UNPLANNED encounter with her, you might have a chance of saving this situation.

Other than that, it looks quite tricky....tricky tricky tricky.

Applespider
Sep 17, 2005, 12:11 PM
Sadly, I agree. There are other possible explanations, but I'm afraid occam's razor (http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/OCCAMRAZ.html) applies here. ;)

Agreed too. Perhaps she said 'hi' outside because she recognised you and was just killing some time before meeting someone. Or she was kinda interested and wanted to check on it - who knows, perhaps if you felt awkward, you said something that really put her off?

Either way, if you've been in twice and both times she's disappeared, that's a definite no-no. Given that generally retail staff are employed to be on the shop floor and if they hang around the stockroom, they get bollocked, it's an avoidance tactic.

If you really want a last chance option, go to the store to buy something (even if it's blank discs), watch the theater for a while beforehand, don't make eye contact if you see her and see what happens. So long as you actually buy something, she shouldn't think you're stalking her and she may come over. But I think it's highly unlikely.

Lacero
Sep 17, 2005, 12:18 PM
Trying to, and successfully making eye contact on the 2nd and 3rd visit would have freaked me out. And I'm a guy! Making eye contact after having purchased something probably would have been the more appropriate action to take. Ah well...

A gorgeous girl like gets hit on constantly. She's developed a few skills to deal with it.

The worse I've had was when I asked a girl (similar to your situation) for her number and she said, "What for?" LOL. :o

dcv
Sep 17, 2005, 12:23 PM
indeed, we *don't* like being stalked. and i'm speaking from experience here.

i'm afraid you may have to bow out of this endeavour. don't keep turning up to the apple store because she's obviously spotted you hanging around on several occasions and it's making her feel uncomfortable. if you do decide to go to back to the store then at least go to one of the workshops or something, don't just stand there staring longingly at the stockroom door. but i'd really advise leaving it a while.

it started as such a lovely story when i read it, but i don't see a fairytale ending...

CanadaRAM
Sep 17, 2005, 12:24 PM
I asked a girl (similar to your situation) for her number and she said, "What for?" LOL. :o
- Need to verify your age and marital status and check out your high school photo and credit rating online before I invest in a dinner and a movie
- National security reasons.
- Need to check the meter on your photocopier.
- Have a high return, surefire investment proposition on some vacation property I'd like to discuss with you.
- Identity theft.

ohcrap
Sep 17, 2005, 12:33 PM
Honestly, I never understood what was so frightening about talking to girls and trying to get a date, especially when it's someone you are just meeting and may never or rarely ever see again.

It can only go one of three ways: she could say yes and go on the date, say no but just be friends, or say hell no altogether.

No offense, but don't be such a chicken ****, just ask her!

Need a not-so-cheesy line that usually works for me? Say "I'm not usually this straightfoward, but you seem like a really interesting person and I was kind of hoping to get to know you better. Would you maybe like to go to [insert local place of interest here] with me on [available day of week] night?"

All your questions will be answered when she responds, then you can sulk or strut all the way home (depending on her response, of course). :)

Rod Rod
Sep 17, 2005, 01:38 PM
I used to work as a cashier in the ladies shoes section of Marshall Fields (department store) at Oak Brook Mall (which also has an Apple store).

A cute young lady from the cosmetics department had been admiring me from afar. I had no clue about it. Then one or two salespeople in my department asked me if I was available (these salespeople were older married ladies so I guess it was "safe" for them to ask) and then they let me know that a pretty girl from the cosmetics department had a crush on me.

Anyway, I think I was either not interested or I was in a long-distance-relationship but nothing happened between me and cosmetics woman.

efoto, the reason I'm bringing this up is to give you an idea for another strategy - if there's a cool / friendly / helpful Apple store employee maybe they could let you know whether your crush is already spoken for.

Bote
Sep 17, 2005, 01:49 PM
Look at it this way. There are a limited # of apple stores in any one area, but there are beautiful women everywhere. I advise you to look elsewhere or you will be ordering all your new equipment from the online apple store. :)

Plymouthbreezer
Sep 17, 2005, 03:23 PM
She obviously seems kinda creeped out. I'd give up.

On the last ditch effort, you could ask her to clean your 'Pods. But that might not go so well.

Abstract
Sep 17, 2005, 03:47 PM
She might have had a really boring work day and you were a fun and cheery face/voice... and just said a friendly 'heya' after her shift...

But when you show up two more times and you seem to express interest-- that is borderline creepy. Think about it, what if she thought you were trying to hook up w/ her after her shift?

I know you're a woman and all, but how is coming back and expressing interest "borderline creepy?" I only think it's creepy that he came back the 3rd time at around the same time, on the 3rd consecutive week, knowing that she was working. The 2nd time seems okay. In fact, the 3rd time would have been ok as well..........if she was quite interested. ;)

And yes, she was being friendly when she said "hello" that first time. If you were going to ask her out, you should have asked her to a drink then when things were fresh. The next time she saw you in a store, she already knew you were interested, and her reaction would either be to come closer again, or stay away. She stayed away.

efoto
Sep 17, 2005, 04:21 PM
Alright, perhaps the second time I was going there just to see what I could see, I'll admit that. The other time however was my friend's first time to that mall (yes runninmac) since the Apple Store opened, and he did want to look at iPods, which took him a whole 5 minutes.

I see what you all are saying, but it makes me sound like some sort of predator or something. I haven't gone in drooling and grunting all while starring at her. It takes two to make eye-contact you know, and it wasn't a creepy sort of thing, just a passing glance from a decent ways away. I didn't see her and suddenly start moving her way or anything, it was just a look. The story was outlined as such solely because I was bored, so I put a little more thought into the story than perhaps I should have....I am not obsessed with her, and if she is reading this then she can read that....I would easily pass her by I just thought she was cute and it caught me off guard that she would say hi to me outside of her paid-to-talk place of employment.

Anyway, I only go there when I go to the mall, and only because it is the easiest store to relax in for a short while if I need a break from actual shopping, because there is a ton of eye-candy (computer wise) that I can wish for and play with. I will take your advices and not try to make eye-contact with her on subsequent visits, but I have to say that sounds pretty high-schoolish that I can't even look at a girl I happen think is attractive, but whatever if you all seem to think it could really be creeping her out.

clayj
Sep 17, 2005, 04:28 PM
I think the biggest problem here is that she's AT WORK. A friend of mine who's a professional waiter/bartender used to have a problem with a female patron who would basically come into his bar every night and stalk him. He HAD to serve her; that was his job. But she made it very difficult for him by hitting on him, grabbing his butt, stuff like that.

I'm not saying you've done anything like that, but the point is that when someone is at work, they're supposed to be working. They have to show just the proper amount of friendliness required for them to do their job effectively, without it becoming a social / "hey, what are you doing later on?" type situation.

My advice to you: Let this one go.

scem0
Sep 17, 2005, 04:33 PM

Lethal

or ping her router. Or mount your iPod in her dock. :p

scem0

efoto
Sep 17, 2005, 04:39 PM
I know you're a woman and all, but how is coming back and expressing interest "borderline creepy?" I only think it's creepy that he came back the 3rd time at around the same time, on the 3rd consecutive week, knowing that she was working. The 2nd time seems okay. In fact, the 3rd time would have been ok as well..........if she was quite interested. ;)

To my own defense, the three times were not all consecutive, and the actual times of visit were all different, however they were all on a Saturday. I couldn't help my times for a while because I go to school on the east side of the state, and only went to the mall/Apple Store on weekends when I went home to see my friends/family. The first two were back-back weekends when I had stuff happening in town which brought me home, then a one week gap I stayed at school, then home again because my friend wanted to hangout and needed help shopping (because he has zero sense of fashion).

I still don't get how everyone is saying that a glance of eye-contact is "expressing interest", it happens all the time in a lot of different places, one can hardly help it.
devilot76 - But when you show up two more times and you seem to express interest-- that is borderline creepy

CanadaRAM - When you came back later and initated eye contact, it was on your terms, and that changed the whole dynamic, and took the control of the interaction out of her hands and into yours.

Lacero - Trying to, and successfully making eye contact on the 2nd and 3rd visit would have freaked me out. And I'm a guy! Making eye contact after having purchased something probably would have been the more appropriate action to take. Ah well...

Alright, so basically if I go in there, I am going to wear dark glasses and not allow her to see me, like stoop low and hide behind merchandise or something....this is getting difficult, all just to shop!

CanadaRAM
Sep 17, 2005, 04:59 PM
I still don't get how everyone is saying that a glance of eye-contact is "expressing interest", it happens all the time in a lot of different places, one can hardly help it. merchandise or something....this is getting difficult, all just to shop

Based on results Bro' -- whatever it was that she thinks you communicated to her during that 2 seconds caused her to make herself scarce from your vicinity (and you stuck around a while to see if it wasn't just she went back to bring some stock out, right? Face it - you WERE interested.)

biohazard6969
Sep 17, 2005, 06:12 PM
I have a lot of girl friends because I am a ''nice guy'', but I have very few dating relationship currently (at 0 sadly), and am looking to increase those. Any advice to how to approach and what is a valid offer of something to do for a first date that isn't overly forward?.

dude i'm in the EXACT same position as you...don't you hate it when they call ya sweet? it doesn't help when all ur girl friends are hot as hell either. but yea, so no advice ccomin from me, but good luck neways

efoto
Sep 17, 2005, 08:43 PM
Based on results Bro' -- whatever it was that she thinks you communicated to her during that 2 seconds caused her to make herself scarce from your vicinity (and you stuck around a while to see if it wasn't just she went back to bring some stock out, right? Face it - you WERE interested.)

Agreed, I was interested from our first conversation, but I don't think that a creepiness was exuded through a glance across a store, but maybe I am just naive. She went in the back, I found it a bit odd (and I was disappointed), I would fully admit I did want to TALK to her again, not much else to this point though. I don't know the girl so it isn't like I want to sweep her away or do anything fancy. I didn't stick around and wait for her to come out of the back either, that would have seemed creepy even to me. I didn't alter my actions or plans around her being at work, or not being at work, being present or not, etc. I have been there two other times, without her presence and I actually spent longer in the store talking to the Genius' or other employees trying to figure things out. Oh, and if anyone is wondering, I have not, and will not, ask her work schedule or hire on another employee to help me gather information on her, not my style.

feakbeak
Sep 17, 2005, 09:43 PM
Interesting story - nice read, especially with all the jokes. Here's another, you could have asked if her Apple offered a service to polish knobs... I mean, iPods. :D

Since efoto was getting his share of lumps about this I'll throw in my tale of woe regarding hitting on retail employees. Back several years ago I would go into this Walgreens (pharmacy/convenient store) fairly often. I had this one cute girl check me out (literally, ring up my order) a few times. I didn't think much of it. She seemed nice, pleasant. I never went there specifically to see her or anything, but when I was there if I did see her it was always a pleasant surprise.

One day I just decided I'd ask her out and I did the usual "I don't normally do this but you seem intriguing... yadda, yadda... would you like to go out sometime, etc". What did I hear back? "Well, I'm getting married next week." :o :eek: :o Yeah... not so much.

That's the price you pay for not being flirty very often, I can't even remember the ground rules. Look for a ring! Man, I felt stupid the few subsequent times I went to that store and she was there. I'm sure she felt awkward as well.

C'est la vie!

mad jew
Sep 17, 2005, 10:13 PM
In your case, it's just inaccurate. Shouldn't it be "Lick my nano"? :D

I'd try to argue back but I've seen your photo in the pictures threads and I just don't have the balls. :(

mac-er
Sep 17, 2005, 10:14 PM
From my experience working retail, she is going to the back and talking to other employees...."OMG, there is this creepy guy in here again."

You'll really know that is true if someone else comes out of the backroom to look at you.

ReanimationLP
Sep 17, 2005, 10:21 PM

Yeah... and get beat down or arrested for stalking. lol. :D

clayj
Sep 17, 2005, 10:49 PM
I'd try to argue back but I've seen your photo in the pictures threads and I just don't have the balls. :(I'm laughing at this, but I don't know why... can you explain? (Seriously, if there was a joke in there, it went straight over my head...)

mad jew
Sep 17, 2005, 11:04 PM
I'm laughing at this, but I don't know why... can you explain? (Seriously, if there was a joke in there, it went straight over my head...)

I was referring to the pic of you when you were working for The Architect on The Matrix plus the fact that, as you rightly said, I only have a nano and not a mini. :(

clayj
Sep 17, 2005, 11:07 PM
I was referring to the pic of you when you were working for The Architect on The Matrix plus the fact that, as you rightly said, I only have a nano and not a mini. :(Ah.

'Twas only a joke... I honestly have no idea whatsoever about what sort of iPod mad jew might be packin'. ;)

mad jew
Sep 17, 2005, 11:10 PM
I'm huge. :D

Yeah, I know you're only joking around clayj. 'Tis all good. :p

clayj
Sep 17, 2005, 11:11 PM
I'm huge. :D No one really cares how big YOU are... how big's your iPod? :p

Myself... I'm packin' Smacky. <10 points to whomever first identifies the reference>

katie ta achoo
Sep 17, 2005, 11:52 PM
Myself... I'm packin' Smacky. <10 points to whomever first identifies the reference>

Isn't that from Get Fuzzy?

/mmm, google. :D

edit:
to be on topic:

If you're set on a mac-usin'-momma, is there a Mac User group you could meet some Mac-using ladies at? We're a fun bunch (if I may say so myself.)

Other than that, I dunno.. go to starbucks or something to meet people? A singles mixer? *shrug*

w_parietti22
Sep 18, 2005, 12:14 AM
Other than that, I dunno.. go to starbucks or something to meet people? A singles mixer? *shrug*

I was in starbucks the other day and there was like 3 women using Macs. (2 PBs and a iBook)

katie ta achoo
Sep 18, 2005, 12:22 AM
I was in starbucks the other day and there was like 3 women using Macs. (2 PBs and a iBook)

Two birds with one stone!

/or is that three?
//Whatever, I don't know math.

efoto
Sep 18, 2005, 12:51 AM
edit:
to be on topic:

If you're set on a mac-usin'-momma, is there a Mac User group you could meet some Mac-using ladies at? We're a fun bunch (if I may say so myself.)

I wasn't just looking for advice on dating in general (although I'll take it, don't get me wrong :) ), I was looking for advice on this particular girl. I have dated all pc users in the past, but at the time I was a pc user as well, so I cannot comment as to the heart and intellect of Mac using women vs. their pc counterparts. I often study, as often as I study :p, at Borders (similar to Barnes and Noble if you don't have them) and that usually does well for finding one or two Mac using 'momma's', however usually they are cramming for something, not exactly my setting for walking up and asking them to chat.
I realize there are a plethora of women around, especially where I am from they are quite kind to the eyes and their father's wallets seem rather bulged, however....well nevermind, I really have no valid excuses. I am just single until I amass enough funds to purchase many hot women, since that always seems to work :rolleyes:

clayj
Sep 18, 2005, 01:30 AM
Isn't that from Get Fuzzy?

/mmm, google. :DYes, but you only get 5 points because you cheated. ;)

katie ta achoo
Sep 18, 2005, 01:34 AM
Yes, but you only get 5 points because you cheated. ;)

It's still half credit-- if it's good enough for a 3 on the AP exam, it's good enough for me!! :)

slb
Sep 18, 2005, 01:40 AM
Efoto, if you see this girl again, strike up some chit-chat, then smile and ask her casually, "Hey, would you be interested in going out sometime?" Girls don't think it's a big deal; as long as someone isn't pushy or annoying, they don't mind if someone asks, and they find it flattering, even when they say they're not interested. Just do it casually and matter-of-factly, and if she says no, no big deal. At least you won't be wondering if she's interested anymore.

'Tis the natural order of things. :) You ask, they say yes/no, you get together or shrug it off and move on.

katie ta achoo
Sep 18, 2005, 01:45 AM
Girls don't think it's a big deal; as long as someone isn't pushy or annoying, they don't mind if someone asks, and they find it flattering, even when they say they're not interested.

I agree. Don't be creepy, too. No heavy breathing through your teeth so it makes that creepy noise, and no Fava beans with Chianti for lunch.

:)

efoto
Sep 18, 2005, 08:27 PM
I agree. Don't be creepy, too. No heavy breathing through your teeth so it makes that creepy noise, and no Fava beans with Chianti for lunch.

:)

I'll give that try, and keep those things in mind. The problem being, it will be hard because she won't see the real me, what with no heavy breathing and Fava-bean/Chianti lunch :rolleyes: :D

snkTab
Sep 18, 2005, 09:17 PM
Try hitting it up with the other apple employee girl. Girls are very territorial. The first one will try to steal you back. "He's my stalker, &#%^#!"

wrxguy
Sep 18, 2005, 09:18 PM
its like hes wondering if they speak a different language lol...

Lacero
Sep 18, 2005, 09:19 PM
I think you have a better chance of dating Emily Rossum than this Apple store girl. :p

Maedus
Sep 18, 2005, 09:26 PM
Give her some of her own medicine. When you notice her noticing you, before she can turn to make it to the backroom, let out an ungodly scream of, "Oh my god, she's in bed with the CIA and has bugged my house in order to know when I will be coming to the Apple Store so that she can be here before me!" and turn and run out of the store, making sure you run into any cardboard displays as well as the security machines that beep when you try to steal stuff. That way she'll know how it feels to be indirectly accused of being a creepy stalker.

CubaTBird
Sep 18, 2005, 09:33 PM
lol, this thread is hilarious. how about as she's walking back just lightly step up your pace and que your right arm in the air and say "miss.. yes miss?! i would like your help" then she has to help you.. and then be all like, "now see im sick of these silly games with you running the back b/c you think im stalking you so why don't we just go out eh? i mean when it comes down to it, this whole situation with you going to the back of the store everytime i come in is pretty hilarious, don't you think?" then hope for the best i guess haha :p

clayj
Sep 18, 2005, 09:35 PM
I think you have a better chance of dating Emily Rossum than this Apple store girl. :pIt's EMMY Rossum. ;)

UTB_Avid
Sep 18, 2005, 10:17 PM
There are cute girls at the woodland apple store? damn, I only ever see men with shorn heads. Well now I have one more reason to go. :p

steeleclipse
Sep 18, 2005, 11:32 PM
If you survived reading that entire installment, I commend you.
If you have reached the end without reading the middle, that is quite fine, just give your advice on how to talk to women.

the most common trait that women look for (so i have been told) from a first impression is self confidence. Walk proud (not cocky), smile (genuinely) and own your surroundings (look comfortable). Dress approriately, being well kept and neat.

You say you have a friend that doesnt know about Macs, so bring him to the store, and make sure that she notices you informing him about the benefits of a mac, not in a cocky way like some do, but rather in a way that will make him want to switch. If she notices this, you now have a common interest. Thats assuming that she enjoys working be at the Apple store, but it is a pretty safe bet considering most mac employees do.

When she walks by you, forget something about the product you are describing to your friend, and ask her to take it from there. Making her feel important for something other than her physical attributes is key.

Praise her for her help and that fact that she is well informed. Make sure she knows that her intervention changed a decision or outlook. Everyone wants to be influential in some way.

Hopefully by then, you can steer the conversation towards finding another reason that you two should run into each other again. That DOES NOT mean to ask her out or for her number, but rather find out when they have a good class going on, when coincidentally she is working. Humble yourself, and take a iMovie class or two if it results in you bumping into her again.

If you do get a chance to talk to her again, BE CREATIVE! Send her an instant message on iChat from across the store... save her from a masked man robbing the store at gun...., well you get the picture.

Lastly, Dont get to into detail in this post... there is a possibly she or one of her co-workers cruises the macrumors forums, and she could find this really creepy or really cool :D

I sincerely apologize if I have repeated anything that someone else has said
but I think its really cool that you reached out to a community that usually deals with computer questions. :D

efoto
Sep 18, 2005, 11:37 PM
I think you have a better chance of dating Emily Rossum than this Apple store girl. :p

I feel sick to my stomach....heavy nausea and I threw up into my mouth a little bit :(

Emmy Rossum, but thank you for at least knowing :D

Edit:
It's EMMY Rossum. ;)

Thanks clayj :)

efoto
Sep 18, 2005, 11:48 PM
<snip>
If you do get a chance to talk to her again, BE CREATIVE! Send her an instant message on iChat from across the store... save her from a masked man robbing the store at gun...., well you get the picture.

Lastly, Dont get to into detail in this post... there is a possibly she or one of her co-workers cruises the macrumors forums, and she could find this really creepy or really cool :D

I sincerely apologize if I have repeated anything that someone else has said
but I think its really cool that you reached out to a community that usually deals with computer questions. :D

How would one send an instant message across the store to another computer in the same store? I realize the whole to her portion would require her presence in front of a computer, I am just talking in general, unless you signed into both and sent it to yourself or something :confused:

I decided it didn't matter to go into detail in the post because it just doesn't matter. If she is on here, or a friend is on here, well fine and dandy, I hope she remembers who I am. If she is as smart as she was cute (building the points here in case she is reading ;) ) then she can go check the member photo directory and recall what I look like, I don't care. I would dare to say that if she finds this really creepy then she probably didn't read the entire thread, because after doing so she should realize that I am just shy and unknowing, not stalkerish and creepy (at least I hope not). Either way, if she realizes who this is and is interested, she can say hi next time....guys don't mind when women act too, at least I don't :)

As far as reaching out here, well who else would I ask? :rolleyes:
Computers, personal finances, women, life goals, car help, it's all here....I think :confused: :D

steeleclipse
Sep 18, 2005, 11:57 PM
How would one send an instant message across the store to another computer in the same store? I realize the whole to her portion would require her presence in front of a computer, I am just talking in general, unless you signed into both and sent it to yourself or something :confused:

nevermind... those were examples, nothing more. if thats what you commented on in my post, forget it. Its falling on deaf ears :D Through your post you go onto say "she can look me up" or whatever... I got news for you... you are looking for ways to talk to her remember? I can bet one thing right now that shes NOT doing... thinking of ways to talk to you. Please dont take offense to that, its just generally something women dont have to do.

You want her? Go get her! Don't hide behind "i dont care" because the fact is you do, and deep down you would be pissed if she started dating someone besides you... SELF CONFIDENCE! thats what i hear time and time again :D

question fear
Sep 19, 2005, 09:17 AM
You know, it's entirely possible she was just being friendly to you when she chatted you up outside the store. If she'd just left work, she was probably still in a "friendly be nice to customers mode". Especially if you'd just purchased something, she might have seen you as a future high ticket customer and thought she'd just greet you for a moment, you'd just talked and she figured, why be rude? A lot of people in retail have a "friendly" demeanor that is used on customers, and does not indicate a willingness to sleep with their customers. One of my employees has a real problem with this, she goes above and beyond to help a customer, and they interpret it as being more than just helpful. On more than one occasion she has done exactly what this apple employee has done, hiding in our back offices or sort room until the customer leaves. I hate to tell you this, but it sounds like she was trying to be nice, and now she's weirded out because her niceness has gone too far. If she hid TWICE, that's probably what it is.
But, just to be positive, maybe she's been getting in trouble for socializing while at work, and she can't be seen flirting with you while she's working. I just didn't want to steal all your hope.

jelloshotsrule
Sep 19, 2005, 10:38 AM
well, i'll agree with the majority that say it doesn't seem too hopeful. however i'll also say.... what do you have to lose? i don't know of a "best" approach, but it seems ideally that you go in there to buy something, she's there.... you get her to help or at least not run away. and after you buy something (or at least prove interest in the store besides seeing her), you ask her if she'd like to hang out sometime.... preferably in the course of a conversation, but worst case, get your questions answered and move on.

my brother asked two girls out who we saw in mall stores... he was 50%. worth a shot!

jsw
Sep 19, 2005, 10:48 AM
Gar! Perhaps ye be best served with some o' me best lines (http://www.talklikeapirate.com/howto.html#pickup) to use w' th' young lasses.

Though be warned... those that be interested in th' words o' a gentleman o' fortune such as meself are oft'n wenches, not th' buxom beauties and lasses ye probably long for. If'n th' young lass at th' Apple Store be not a wench, ye might be findin' that th' nano be not so small when it be shoved into certain places.

XNine
Sep 19, 2005, 11:34 AM
This girl must have you star-struck, eh? Sending messages over to other computers in the apple store is difficult. They always have these odd names for ichat/bonjour services, so it's not likely you'll be able to do this on your first try. You could be sending a message to another GUY somwhere in the store for all you know.

The only way to really accomplish this is through ARD, and even then it's usually locked down with a password. I believe the password is the name of the OS at the time, then a symbol like a star, then the last two digits of the year. But whatever.

Honestly, is this girl THAT hot? If so, here's what you do:

-Gain entrance to the store via the opposite side of where she is (right or left door)

-Hide back by the genius bar/theater.

-When she makes her way to the back of the store to go to the back area, jump in front of the door, and say something witty like "MEAT PUPPET!" she'll be surprised. This is the moment of opportunity!

-Quickly crouch and grab the back of her legs, lift her and sling her over your shoulder.

-Then, sprint with her over your shoulder as fast as you can to the front of the store while making bellowing grunting sounds, even the occasional word like "UNGA!" or "MRAAAAAAAAAAAAH!"

She will be both surprised and delighted that your ferocious behavior has gained the attention of her employees, that she'll willingly be your slave for years to come.

Course, you could always go with chloriphorm if all else fails.

efoto
Sep 19, 2005, 11:54 AM
This girl must have you star-struck, eh? Sending messages over to other computers in the apple store is difficult. They always have these odd names for ichat/bonjour services, so it's not likely you'll be able to do this on your first try. You could be sending a message to another GUY somwhere in the store for all you know.
<snip>
Course, you could always go with chloriphorm if all else fails.

nevermind... those were examples, nothing more. if thats what you commented on in my post, forget it. Its falling on deaf ears :D Through your post you go onto say "she can look me up" or whatever... I got news for you... you are looking for ways to talk to her remember? I can bet one thing right now that shes NOT doing... thinking of ways to talk to you. Please dont take offense to that, its just generally something women dont have to do.

You want her? Go get her! Don't hide behind "i dont care" because the fact is you do, and deep down you would be pissed if she started dating someone besides you... SELF CONFIDENCE! thats what i hear time and time again :D

That is just it, I have no idea if she that hot because I hardly know her, and physical appearance only goes so far. As far as hiding behind "i dont care" as steeleclipse mentioned, I am not hiding behind it, I am stating a true fact, which myself of all people should realize to be true. If I go there again I am not going to avoid her, I would hope she doesn't feel the urge to avoid me considering I haven't done anything to her, and frankly shopping doesn't require purchases, so I shouldn't be forced to only enter the store when I have a need to purchase, I like to browse. I would not at all be pissed if she dated someone else, for all I know she could be right now and that is great for her. I simply thought she was an attractive and interesting person, and since I have a poor history of initiating contact with women I like, I thought I would ask around. I guess my purpose didn't quite filter in to all of your understandings :p

steeleclipse, I read all of what you were typing, not just the IM portion however that was interesting from a how would one do this? aspect, it was not the focus of my response, only the first paragraph. I don't take offense to much, this is no exception so no worries on that front. The comment about she can look me up still seems valid in my mind, solely because if she was interested, she can look me up if she was really curious. I realize that women are not required to do so as men commonly are (retarded rule in my opinion) however I am not forcing anything on her, I was just stating a fact.

Okay, nevermind, I am tired but going to the gym regardless. I'll swing by the chemistry labs and try to make/mix/take some chloroform, just to give me some future options :rolleyes:

cheekyspanky
Sep 19, 2005, 02:00 PM
-When she makes her way to the back of the store to go to the back area, jump in front of the door, and say something witty like "MEAT PUPPET!" she'll be surprised. This is the moment of opportunity!

-Quickly crouch and grab the back of her legs, lift her and sling her over your shoulder.

-Then, sprint with her over your shoulder as fast as you can to the front of the store while making bellowing grunting sounds, even the occasional word like "UNGA!" or "MRAAAAAAAAAAAAH!"

She will be both surprised and delighted that your ferocious behavior has gained the attention of her employees, that she'll willingly be your slave for years to come.

Haha, I love this suggestion :)

My only help would be the ever useful phrase "Does this smell like chloroform to you?" :D

You should wander into the store with one of those various hotties you have been pictured with in the member photo thread and make her jealous :) then she'll try and steal you away for herself.

XIII
Sep 19, 2005, 02:59 PM
This plan's so smart, its retarded!