PDA

View Full Version : geforce 4 8x agp in a 2x agp?

pxlwhr
Nov 28, 2002, 01:00 PM
k I have a dual 500 one vga monitor CRT and one adc monitor CRT. the only video card I can find with an onboard adc connector and a dvi connector seems to be the nvidia geforce 4 ti but it says it's only for 4x + agp models of macs... is this true I heard that they will be backwards compatible if you stick them in a 2x agp slot reason is I need a better video card and this seems to be my only option since I have the now defunct 17"CRT with adc if I had a flat panel this wouldn't be a problem.. since the dvi to adc adapters would work

please let me know

MacBandit
Nov 28, 2002, 03:18 PM
It should work fine in a 2x AGP slot. Though the limiting factor for speed will most definitely be the AGP bus.

I'm surprised you can't find a Geforce 4MX somewhere. If you wanted to wait (unlikely) a few months I would be happy to sell you my G4MX when I upgrade.

rice_web
Nov 28, 2002, 03:31 PM
The GeForce4MX doesn't make use of 8x, and 4x is even unnecessary. 2x will perform with almost identical results as the GeForce4MX on an 8x AGP bus.

pxlwhr
Nov 28, 2002, 03:57 PM
thanks for the reply the pc 3D dude beside me explained the whole thing about how agp 8x is so not even used and that games nowadays have little to no 4x use as well I was just concerned that if I drop cash on the geforce 4 ti and it dont work I'll have to commit hairy carey and that stuff aint pretty just wanted to double check as it's the only videocard that will foot my bill

thanks again

Sun Baked
Nov 28, 2002, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by pxlwhr
k I have a dual 500 one vga monitor CRT and one adc monitor CRT. the only video card I can find with an onboard adc connector and a dvi connector seems to be the nvidia geforce 4 ti but it says it's only for 4x + agp models of macs... is this true I heard that they will be backwards compatible if you stick them in a 2x agp slot reason is I need a better video card and this seems to be my only option since I have the now defunct 17"CRT with adc if I had a flat panel this wouldn't be a problem.. since the dvi to adc adapters would work

please let me know
About the only thing that may be a problem is the Apple ADC CRT.

The card may not support analog ADC, it may say on the Apple website somewhere which ADC monitors are supported.