PDA

View Full Version : Create Server out of an iBook?

mjstew33
Sep 17, 2005, 10:09 AM
I am trying to take my other iBook G4 1.42GHz and make it into a server; as it is not being used what so ever by anyone (broken screen). I would like to make it a server. How do I do this? I can connect my iBook to the hard drive on the network, but, is the iBook really a server then? How do I connect through "Connect To Server" [on the "Go" menu] and get to my iBook.

Can someone help?

Thanks!

[/Lilstewart92]

stevep
Sep 17, 2005, 12:38 PM
Any computer on a network can be considered a server and/or a client, depending on whether you are sending files to it or requesting files from it. This is true even for a peer-to-peer network (where all machines have equal status, for want of a better word, like a home network). You can do this with OS X.
Confusingly, a typical corporate network is often called a client-server network, because many system files (eg users startup files, desktop setting, their 'my-documents' folders etc are stored on a central server. Users log onto client machines, and the server 'delivers' their files, settings and folders to the client machine.
If you want that sort of server, then you need some server software (Mac OS X Server, many of the Linux distributions, or dare I say it some flavour of Windows like Server 2003.
But are you talking about using your machine as a Web Server? In which case you need to enable web sharing in the Sharing pane of System Preferences. This will allow you to view the sample web page, located in
Users/username/Sites/index.html. I doubt whether your iBook will cope with too many hits at a time, but its fun to play around with, and might get you started.