PDA

View Full Version : Anybody care to donate their face?

vniow
Nov 28, 2002, 01:01 PM
A leading plastic surgeon is calling for a debate about whether face transplants should take place.

Peter Butler said surgical techniques would allow the procedure to take place within the next six to nine months.

But he said it was essential for a moral and ethical debate to take place before anyone underwent the operation.

Christine Piff, Let's Face It
He told the BBC: "It is not 'Can we do it?' but 'Should we do it?'"

Mr Butler, a consultant plastic surgeon at London's Royal Free Hospital, will discuss the issues surrounding face transplants at the British Association of Plastic Surgeons in London on Wednesday. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2516181.stm)

Um, well, thinking................................................................................no.

Mr. Anderson
Nov 28, 2002, 02:00 PM
Most likely this is all based on the research gained from working on Michael Jackson - who has already had over a dozen faces......it would be weird to see someone who looked like you but wasn't. Also, this was something simillar to the latest Bond film - but the technique is quite a bit different.

D

Durandal7
Nov 28, 2002, 02:35 PM
The method in the Bond movie was a lot less creepy then this.

I just had a scary thought, does this mean that in the future we're going to be seeing dead celebrity face auctions?

Hemingray
Nov 28, 2002, 03:16 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ....... .... :rolleyes:

Oi. Lord help us...

....... :rolleyes:

wdlove
Nov 28, 2002, 09:13 PM
I can see that it would be beneficial for traumatic accidents and cancer victims. The problem will be getting donors!

mymemory
Nov 28, 2002, 09:28 PM
Why every time I read something related with faces I think in Michael Jackson too?

I can see it coming... "A couple that have been married for 40 years decided to change their faces to add something new to their relationship. The old man is using a Brad Pitt cloned face and his wife a Tracy Lords looks a like too..."

Imagine poor mexican good looking girls donating their faces or poeple using faces from japanese girls from the "black market"... damn, I just do not want to talk about this any more.

Imagine getting a dog face!

Mr. Anderson
Nov 28, 2002, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by mymemory

Imagine getting a dog face!

But what about designer faces? Its quite possible to pick any number of features and see if you can find a 'match' - but seeing as how you'd have to use a dead body to get the face transplant - or a clone in farther future - legal issues will be intense. A black market for faces - ugh, that doesn't sound too promising.

D

scem0
Nov 29, 2002, 01:41 AM
I wonder what Michael Jackson would look like if this had been
available the last 15 years. His face might be even more warped
then it is now :eek: :rolleyes: ;) :D

cb911
Nov 29, 2002, 06:03 AM
are there any links to somewhere that describes this new technique? i've never heard of this before.

wdlove
Nov 29, 2002, 11:11 AM
Hopefully today's research will lead to the growth of adipose tissue, dermis, & epidermis in the lab. That plastic surgeons will soon have the abiltiy to build a new face. This would elevate the ethical/moral dilema.

On a PBS presentation science already has the ability to build an ear & nose.