PDA

View Full Version : Post your PowerPC SSD Drive model!

prvt.donut
Nov 29, 2012, 10:45 AM
Well, it is nearly the end of 2012 and 2013 will be the year that the SSD drive takes over as the normal choice for personal computer data storage. There is a vast array of models and options available, and models that should work, sometimes don't as I discovered with my Powermac G5 and a Corsair Force GT.

I thought it is about time we made a list of the SSD drives that will work well in our respective PowerPC Macs (and those that don't). Please try to keep a similar format as shown below:

Computer Model:

SSD Model name:

Part number:

Working?

Benchmark results:

----------

I'll go first!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Computer Model: Late 2005 Powermac G5 dual core 2.0GHz

SSD Model name: Corsair Force GT 240GB

Part number: CSSD-F240GBGT-BK

Working? As a second drive in bottom slot. Will install OS, but won't boot. :( In the top slot, it doesn't show up as a drive to install the OS on.

Benchmark results: N/A:mad::mad:

justperry
Nov 29, 2012, 10:45 AM
What's the point of having an SSD in a PATA PPC?

I have a powerbook G4 1.67, PATA inside, yes, it will make a difference but I don't see the point of spending that money for just a little gain in speed.

Edit, but if there are any SATA PPC macs then yes I can understand.

prvt.donut
Nov 29, 2012, 10:47 AM
What's the point of having a SSD in a PATA PPC?

I have a powerbook G4 1.67, PATA inside, yes, it will make a difference but I don't see the point of spending that money for just a little gain in speed.

Not all PPC use PATA. Besides, it's the random read/write speeds that make them fabulous for OS drives. :D

GermanyChris
Nov 29, 2012, 11:53 AM
My quad had both a Vertex 2 and an Agility 3 in the top bay

jbarley
Nov 29, 2012, 12:00 PM
I use OWC Mercury SSD's as boot drives in both my PPC computers, an upgraded G4 Cube and My go-to system, a G5 quad.
Both have worked well for some time now.

Bob Kiwi
Nov 29, 2012, 09:44 PM
I use an OWC Legacy SSD for a Titanium PB G4 (1GHz, last model to boot Mac OS 9).

Use it for Mac OS 9 mainly, with Mac OS X 10.5 as an emergency OS (that is terribly slow, I think I'd rather run Mac OS X 10.2 just for nostalgia...).

Mac OS 9 on an SSD, on a 1GHz laptop, is pretty great. No problems and runs for weeks straight without reboots in a clamshell mode (screen shut and external display and keyboard/mouse) so I'm quite happy.

Just have to make sure to get a 120GB or smaller drive as I'm pretty certain Mac OS 9 can't boot on bigger drives (and some Macs pre-2001 are not 128GB+ native without third party software).

Makes me kind of wonder what a Firewire 400 enclosure with an SSD would bench, and if it'd be faster than my NAS for the PowerBook.

yamu
Nov 30, 2012, 02:23 AM
Powerbook G4 1,5 Ghz 12"

SuperTalent Duradrive ET2 128 GB PATA 2,5"

Works great. Boot-time and Applaunching feels halved. Lagfree UI, no spin-up lags, 10-15% longer battery-life. But best of all: SILENCE. PB is running cooler, fan spin-up is very rare. Best upgrade for a old PB in my opinion.

Disk Test 90.73
Sequential 136.10
Uncached Write 136.50 83.81 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 142.61 80.69 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 109.15 31.94 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 169.78 85.33 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Random 68.04
Uncached Write 28.95 3.06 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 47.73 15.28 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 1651.99 11.71 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 371.64 68.96 MB/sec [256K blocks]

seveej
Nov 30, 2012, 04:40 AM

Works great. Boot-time and Applaunching feels halved. Lagfree UI, no spin-up lags, 10-15% longer battery-life. But best of all: SILENCE. PB is running cooler, fan spin-up is very rare. Best upgrade for a old PB in my opinion.

Besides, it's the random read/write speeds that make them fabulous for OS drives.

IMHO, the answers say it all.
Admittedly, an SSD is not as snappy if you do not have a SATA III interface to plug it into, but max throughput is not the only advantage of an SSD.

Nevertheless, there are some problems with some PATA SSD's especially the no-name products coming out of the PRC. Again, going for a brand name product solves this.

Personally i think a SSD is the best upgrade for a PPC G4 laptop used mainly for internet/mail/office apps. A friend of mine commented that his 12" PBG4 (with SSD) felt all-round snappier than a 1st generation 13" MBP (sans SSD).

RGDS,

AtmChm
Nov 30, 2012, 08:29 AM
PowerMac G5 2x2 GHz

OWC 3G 240 GB SSD in an ACARD SATA/IDE sled

Xbench disk test: 240

Cube with upgraded processor

OWC 3G 120 GB SSD

Xbench disk test: 170

The improvement over a 7200 RPM drive in the Cube is less noticeable than in the G5, obviously since the G5 is using SATA and the Cube is SATA/IDE interface.

prvt.donut
Dec 5, 2012, 02:32 AM
How about this SATA2 model?

CORSAIR FORCE SERIES F240 240GB 2.5" SATA INTERNAL SSD CSSD-F240GB2

skinniezinho
Dec 6, 2012, 11:56 AM
I think it would be fine to have a database both with ssd, normal hdds detailed with benchmarks and most important (the hardware it is running on: pci sata cards mentioned if present).
I tried to that here:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1093080&highlight=study

ChrisMan287
Dec 6, 2012, 12:29 PM
I wish I could afford an OWC Legacy :(

MisterKeeks
Dec 6, 2012, 07:37 PM

Edit, but if there are any SATA PPC macs then yes I can understand.

All G5s have SATA.

justperry
Dec 6, 2012, 09:09 PM
All G5s have SATA.

Yeah, I am aware of this, but there were more PATA than SATA PPC's.

My machine (PB G4 1.67) would probably get a bit faster but I am not going to spend the money on a machine which could be dead tomorrown and the gain is minimal.

666sheep
Dec 7, 2012, 01:26 PM
Transcend 32GB PATA SSD in my Clamshell. Still works well after 2 years without TRIM.

skinniezinho
Dec 8, 2012, 05:01 AM
PowerMac G5 2x2 GHz

OWC 3G 240 GB SSD in an ACARD SATA/IDE sled

Xbench disk test: 240

Cube with upgraded processor

OWC 3G 120 GB SSD

Xbench disk test: 170

The improvement over a 7200 RPM drive in the Cube is less noticeable than in the G5, obviously since the G5 is using SATA and the Cube is SATA/IDE interface.

what does numbers mean?
Any chance of mb/s numbers?
What ACARD do you have?

seveej
Dec 15, 2012, 01:21 PM
64 GB Transcend SSD in PB G4 12" (1,5 Ghz).
This is a machine, which in a short while will become an elderly lady's (my m-i-l) first personal computer.

In this case the promise of higher speed of the SSD (vs. HDD) was not the clinching argument, but in stead the rationale was silence. And boy - until the fans spin up, this machine is dead silent.

I did not go through the trouble of benchmarking, but startup (power button->desktop) is 22 seconds (was 38 s), duplicating a 1 GB file is about 50% faster and it seems (based on a few days of use), that there is no perceived "load lag" (meaning that the machine is slow because the CPU is what it is).

RGDS,

Intell
Dec 15, 2012, 01:25 PM
While not a true SSD, 16GB Transcend CompactFlash card with EIDE adapter in my G3 iMac. Works very well and it maxes out the ATA/33 bus with easy.

zackkmac
Dec 15, 2012, 04:19 PM
I have a Crucial v4 in my iMac G5. Might consider throwing something similar into my G4 and G3 iMacs as well my eMac G4.

skinniezinho
Jan 5, 2013, 03:57 PM
it was very cool if guys with the ssds could bench it with xbench (you only need to run the disk test) and post here a screenshot.
Here is "mine":

Samsung 830 256Gb
http://imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/812/ssdvc.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/812/ssdvc.png/)

Maybe it is not 100% accurate because the HDD was not all formated for Mac.
It was formated for windows, with one windows partition (ntfs) and then a HFS+ partition.
This was on a Sonnet Tempo PCI 2 Port sata card.
Firmware 5.1.3

ybz90
Jan 6, 2013, 04:05 AM
I just bought a Kingspec 32GB PATA drive on eBay. I've read some rather nasty things about them, but they seem mostly related to the rather horrid first-generation JMicron controller.

Current ones to my knowledge use some controller by Silicon Motion. Details were also hard to come by, but I believe it is a direct PATA controller (vs most PATA drives, which are actually SATA but have a PATA-SATA bridge inside, thereby drawing more power).

I can post some impressions when I receive it and set up the system that I am restoring.

MisterKeeks
Jan 6, 2013, 11:26 AM
it was very cool if guys with the ssds could bench it with xbench (you only need to run the disk test) and post here a screenshot.
Here is "mine":

Samsung 830 256Gb
Image (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/812/ssdvc.png/)

Maybe it is not 100% accurate because the HDD was not all formated for Mac.
It was formated for windows, with one windows partition (ntfs) and then a HFS+ partition.
This was on a Sonnet Tempo PCI 2 Port sata card.
Firmware 5.1.3

XBench is useless for most everything, including HDD speed tests. There is a better app, but I can't remember it now.

Intell
Jan 6, 2013, 11:31 AM
XBench is useless for most everything, including HDD speed tests. There is a better app, but I can't remember it now.

XBench's HDD tests are still rather accurate. Of course they should be preformed a few times and averaged, but the process of averaging benchmarks for any benchmarking application should always be done for best results.

skinniezinho
Jan 6, 2013, 12:10 PM

AJA Speed test?
I guess benchmark programs are +- all the same, the results won't vary very much I guess, simply ones give more options than others.

skinniezinho
Jan 7, 2013, 07:15 AM
I just bought a Kingspec 32GB PATA drive on eBay. I've read some rather nasty things about them, but they seem mostly related to the rather horrid first-generation JMicron controller.

Current ones to my knowledge use some controller by Silicon Motion. Details were also hard to come by, but I believe it is a direct PATA controller (vs most PATA drives, which are actually SATA but have a PATA-SATA bridge inside, thereby drawing more power).

I can post some impressions when I receive it and set up the system that I am restoring.

There was a user with one of those here and results were not bad.
This week I will get a OCZ Vertex 2 120Gb for my PowerMac G4.It already comes with latest firmware (1.37) so I guess I won't have problems.
When I receive it I will bench it.
In my opinion for PATA computers I guess the CF Card way can sometimes be a little better, for example, if you buy a 16Gb 600x CF card for the same price of a 16Gb PATA SSD, at least you know that the memory on the CF has to do 90MB/s (of course it will be limited by the adapter/IDE BUS).

Another option for benchmarking is this:
http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20120704113548693

Are there any tips for SSD in 10.4/10.5?

rabidz7
Jan 7, 2013, 11:23 AM
Power mac G5 quad

OCZ agility 3

THIS DRIVE IS NOT BOOTABLE!!!!!!! BUT IT WORKS GREAT FOR STORAGE

skinniezinho
Jan 7, 2013, 11:48 AM
Power mac G5 quad

OCZ agility 3

Isn't bootable on the G5 right?May be bootable on other systems.
Have you tried with the latest firmware 2.25?
http://www.ocztechnology.com/ssd_tools/SandForce_Based/

Any chance of some benchmarks?
It's strange that thing with G5's not able to boot/see certain drives.

rabidz7
Jan 7, 2013, 12:21 PM
Isn't bootable on the G5 right?May be bootable on other systems.
Have you tried with the latest firmware 2.25?
http://www.ocztechnology.com/ssd_tools/SandForce_Based/

Any chance of some benchmarks?
It's strange that thing with G5's not able to boot/see certain drives.

When I installed osx on the OCZ ssd the mac restarted and booted from the disc because the drive disappeared from osx and disk utility. I installed osx on the mechanical drive and it booted like normal from the drive and the ssd appears in finder when booting from the mechanical drive. I am using the ssd to store apps that I use a lot.

The same thing happened in a G5 imac, except there was not a 2nd hard drive to install osx on.

skinniezinho
Jan 7, 2013, 12:33 PM
When I installed osx on the OCZ ssd the mac restarted and booted from the disc because the drive disappeared from osx and disk utility. I installed osx on the mechanical drive and it booted like normal from the drive and the ssd appears in finder when booting from the mechanical drive. I am using the ssd to store apps that I use a lot.

The same thing happened in a G5 imac, except there was not a 2nd hard drive to install osx on.

Very strange.
As I said, a firmware update could help.

ybz90
Jan 7, 2013, 04:22 PM
Power mac G5 quad

OCZ agility 3

Did you format it correctly? As a boot drive for a PowerPC Mac, it has to use the Apple Partition Map setting, instead of MBR (Windows) and GUID (Intel Macs).

Try erasing it and re-partitioning it in Disk Utility as APM, clone it back over, and see if that will help.

skinniezinho
Jan 8, 2013, 12:39 PM
Here are the benchmarks for my Vertex 2 fw1.37
Sonnet Tempo Sata PCI , fw5.1.3

Powermac G4 GE fw4.2.8
Sonnet 1.2GHz CPU
2GB PC133

http://imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/14/ssdx.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/14/ssdx.png/)

http://imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/221/ssdaja.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/221/ssdaja.png/)

Guess it is the max of controller/pci bus.
Drive is clonning, I'll report impressions later

ybz90
Jan 15, 2013, 06:26 AM
Unfortunately, I don't have any pre-SSD #s to compare. I saved a document with the Xbench scores, but forgot to copy it over when I wiped that drive. Derp.

Anyway, I do recall that the disk test scored around ~26 total score, and in particular, the worst numbers were the random uncached read and write, which were around 0.4 and 0.7 MB/s. The highest any number got was around ~35MB/s if memory serves.

In comparison, the cheapo 32GB SSD from Kingspec yielded the following scores:
Results 60.12
System Info
Xbench Version 1.3
System Version 10.5.8 (9L31a)
Physical RAM 2048 MB
Model PowerBook5,8
Processor PowerPC G4 @ 1.67 GHz
L1 Cache 32K (instruction), 32K (data)
L2 Cache 512K @ 1.67 GHz
Bus Frequency 167 MHz
Video Card ATY,RV360M11
Drive Type KingSpec KSD-PA25.6-032MS KingSpec KSD-PA25.6-032MS
Disk Test 62.14
Sequential 83.81
Uncached Write 72.83 44.71 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 68.10 38.53 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 76.63 22.43 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 159.58 80.20 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Random 49.38
Uncached Write 16.45 1.74 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 58.82 18.83 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 2302.04 9.23 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 407.65 75.65 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Not mindblowing by any means, and would probably be higher if I had opted for bigger capacities, but certainly a tremendous upgrade over the old PATA mechanical drive. It's not really just a numbers game either; the system feels snappier and few apps take more than one or two bounces to open. Not a bad upgrade for $40, and I feel better knowing it doesn't use the JMicron controller, even if the SMi is pretty unknown. I will update if it slows down over time, but we'll see.

After using WhatSize and Monolingual to trim the languages and non-PPC 32-bit architectures completely out of the entire operating system, I have around 14GB free. The PowerBook's restoration is finally complete! The best part about this is the total silence of the computer. When the fans aren't on (and they usually are not), there is not a single moving component in the machine.

666sheep
Jan 15, 2013, 07:42 AM
^^^For comparison's sake here is my almost 3 years old 32GB JMicron Transcend in Clamshell:

Results 46.42
System Info
Xbench Version 1.3
System Version 10.4.11 (8S165)
Physical RAM 576 MB
Model PowerBook2,2
Processor PowerPC G3 @ 467 MHz
Version 750CXe v2.4 v2.2
L2 Cache 256K @ 467 MHz
Bus Frequency 67 MHz
Video Card ATY,RageM3
Drive Type TS32GSSD25-M
Disk Test 46.42
Sequential 40.50
Uncached Write 43.99 27.01 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 48.15 27.25 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 27.06 7.92 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 54.65 27.47 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Random 54.37
Uncached Write 19.44 2.06 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 68.76 22.01 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 996.33 7.06 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 151.94 28.19 MB/sec [256K blocks]

alaska man
Feb 17, 2013, 05:39 PM
hello, noob to the forum.
i scored a power mac G5 (dual 2 ghz, power pc g5) ( power mac 7,3) ( 6 gigs of ram ) for $50.00

so i thought just for fun i would put a ssd in it.
i have crucial v4 128gb sata 3Gb/s

i can not get the g5 to recognize the v4 ssd as a boot drive.
it will see the drive and access it through a usb connection or installed in the lower internal bay.
i have tried installing leopard with an install disk,
carbon copy clone in target mode with my macbook pro,
and using its own disk utility to restore the new drive from the existing hdd.

the existing hdd is partitioned with panther on one partition and leopard on the other. it boots fine with both from the hdd.

so i need to know what is wrong ( or not set up correctly ) for the ssd
i have serched google ( led me here ) and can not find the info i need.
any help would be appreciated.

zackkmac
Feb 17, 2013, 06:09 PM
hello, noob to the forum.
i scored a power mac G5 (dual 2 ghz, power pc g5) ( power mac 7,3) ( 6 gigs of ram ) for $50.00

so i thought just for fun i would put a ssd in it.
i have crucial v4 128gb sata 3Gb/s

i can not get the g5 to recognize the v4 ssd as a boot drive.
it will see the drive and access it through a usb connection or installed in the lower internal bay.
i have tried installing leopard with an install disk,
carbon copy clone in target mode with my macbook pro,
and using its own disk utility to restore the new drive from the existing hdd.

the existing hdd is partitioned with panther on one partition and leopard on the other. it boots fine with both from the hdd.

so i need to know what is wrong ( or not set up correctly ) for the ssd
i have serched google ( led me here ) and can not find the info i need.
any help would be appreciated.

Have you made sure the partition map is set to "Apple Partition Map"? Also, even though I'm sure it is, double-check to ensure it is formatted as Mac OS X Extended (Journaled).

alaska man
Feb 17, 2013, 06:31 PM
Have you made sure the partition map is set to "Apple Partition Map"? Also, even though I'm sure it is, double-check to ensure it is formatted as Mac OS X Extended (Journaled).

yes. every time i try to install, i erase the drive and reformat as Mac OS X Extended (Journaled).

as an update. i have come back to this after my initial try several months ago.
to be thorough i just erased and reformatted as Mac OS X Extended (Journaled),
put a leopard install disc in the optical drive and tried to install to the ssd via usb.
i get a window that says
can not install osx on to the ssd "mac osx can not start up from this volume"

zackkmac
Feb 17, 2013, 06:34 PM
You confirmed that you have it set to Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) but are you absolutely sure the partition scheme is correct? Those are two separate steps.

To check, boot the installer, go to Disk Utility, click on your SSD. Then click the Partition tab and look for the "Options" button. Click that and you will get 3 choices, Apple Partition Map, G.U.I.D. Partition, and Master Boot Record. Be certain it is set to Apple Partition Map.

If it is, then I have no idea as the drive would be set up correctly for use with Mac OS X.

alaska man
Feb 17, 2013, 07:07 PM
You confirmed that you have it set to Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) but are you absolutely sure the partition scheme is correct? Those are two separate steps.

To check, boot the installer, go to Disk Utility, click on your SSD. Then click the Partition tab and look for the "Options" button. Click that and you will get 3 choices, Apple Partition Map, G.U.I.D. Partition, and Master Boot Record. Be certain it is set to Apple Partition Map.

If it is, then I have no idea as the drive would be set up correctly for use with Mac OS X.

is this necessary if i am not partitioning the drive but just trying to install to the drive as a whole. ??

----------

is this necessary if i am not partitioning the drive but just trying to install to the drive as a whole. ??

ok i did that, it was set to guid so i change it to the option that said it was for booting on a power pc . and it still comes up as not a bootable option in the installer. i did this twice.

zackkmac
Feb 17, 2013, 07:19 PM
Unfortunately I'm not sure what else you could do now. It sounds like you have partitioned and formatted it correctly, so it should work. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

alaska man
Feb 17, 2013, 07:22 PM
ok , i am completely flummoxed.
i pulled it from the usb, installed it in the internal drive bay. i can not even get it to mount when installed in the internal drive bay ( it used to )
Disc utility in the installer or booted into leopard on hdd will not even see it.
So put it back into the usb ran installer disc utility and partitioned again for power pc . it still says the drive can not be used for start up. ?

alaska man
Feb 17, 2013, 07:44 PM
ok, so i used my macpro to partition it.
took it back to the power mac. same thing.
so out of a - lets see what this does effort- i double clicked on the icon of the ssd drive ( in installer ) and boom i get a prompt that says the drive must be erased for install, so i click on the erase drive option and off she goes. so it says it is installing.

Frost7
Feb 17, 2013, 08:04 PM
I use an OWC Legacy SSD for a Titanium PB G4 (1GHz, last model to boot Mac OS 9).

Use it for Mac OS 9 mainly, with Mac OS X 10.5 as an emergency OS (that is terribly slow, I think I'd rather run Mac OS X 10.2 just for nostalgia...).

Mac OS 9 on an SSD, on a 1GHz laptop, is pretty great. No problems and runs for weeks straight without reboots in a clamshell mode (screen shut and external display and keyboard/mouse) so I'm quite happy.

Just have to make sure to get a 120GB or smaller drive as I'm pretty certain Mac OS 9 can't boot on bigger drives (and some Macs pre-2001 are not 128GB+ native without third party software).

Makes me kind of wonder what a Firewire 400 enclosure with an SSD would bench, and if it'd be faster than my NAS for the PowerBook.
FYI: PowerBook G4 Titaniums, starting with the DVI model, have 48-bit addressing, so they can use any drive that will physically fit. I've been using a 320GB WD Scorpio Blue in my 1 GHz TiBook for a couple years now. Also, Mac OS 9's boot drive limit is 200GB. Anything at or below that (I made the boot partition 198 GB just to be safe) and you're fine. OS9 can read and write to drives larger than 200GB, it just can't start up from them unless it's from a ≤200GB partition on the drive.

Also, got a question. I've got the same model PowerBook and I've been thinking of putting an OWC Mercury Legacy Pro in it. How did installation go with the Foxconn connector? I wasn't able to get it connected when I worked on mine and I ended up returning the Mercury. The pins on the drive are offset by a millimeter or two from industry standard PATA HDDs, so I wasn't able to get the connector to plug in without forcing it because it was a couple millimeters off from where it was supposed to be. I asked OWC if this was a manufacturing defect or if they're all like that, but I never got a response.

Regardless, I've been thinking of rebuying next month and getting some spare rubber mounts for the hard drive and modifying them with an x-acto so the drive sits a couple mm further in so it'll fit.

How's your experience with noise/heat/battery life running your PowerBook off the Mercury?

alaska man
Feb 17, 2013, 10:02 PM
Ok . leopard installed on the ssd and i was able to put it in the lower internal bay. i was having some issues, it was only booting to it when i held down the option key and selected it.
i set it as the default in start up preferences. after it was booted and running it was painfully slow . i get the beach ball when opening programs.

i have restarted many times and seems to be working itself out. it will boot now with out holding the option key and it has opened cs3 rather quickly.
("quickly quickly there's no time") i am running some maintenance programs and hoping it will settle in to its new skin. thanks zackkmac for a key piece of info. i will give an update when it is all hunky dory.

spyguy10709
Feb 17, 2013, 10:10 PM
While not a true SSD, 16GB Transcend CompactFlash card with EIDE adapter in my G3 iMac. Works very well and it maxes out the ATA/33 bus with easy.

I don't usually agree with you Intell, but I have the same thing going in my PMG3 B&W and my Clamshell - this works really really well.

alaska man
Feb 18, 2013, 04:09 AM
my power pc model is a
power mac G5
dual 2 ghz,
6 gigs of ram

and it breaths again.

thanks.

MisterKeeks
Feb 18, 2013, 08:52 AM
I don't usually agree with you Intell, but I have the same thing going in my PMG3 B&W and my Clamshell - this works really really well.

Why not? I'm pretty sure he knows everything.

philz4life
Feb 18, 2013, 11:53 AM
Power Mac G4 MDD Firewire 800
Dual 1.25 GHZ 1.75 GB RAM
I have a Patriot Torqx 2 32 GB SSD, and once I get a PCI SATA card for it, I will use the SSD as my boot drive. Unfortunately, all the SATA disk controllers are very expensive, so I'm looking for a cheaper one.:(

robertosh
Feb 19, 2013, 04:21 AM
żAny recommendation for a PATA SSD for a iBook G4? I don't mind the price and the capacity (32Gb will be enough...)..I use 10.5. I'm a little lost....

666sheep
Feb 19, 2013, 08:04 AM
Power Mac G4 MDD Firewire 800
Dual 1.25 GHZ 1.75 GB RAM
I have a Patriot Torqx 2 32 GB SSD, and once I get a PCI SATA card for it, I will use the SSD as my boot drive. Unfortunately, all the SATA disk controllers are very expensive, so I'm looking for a cheaper one.:(

Google SiL3512 and wiebetech ;) or use SATA->IDE bridge based on Marvell controller

spyguy10709
Feb 19, 2013, 09:37 AM
Why not? I'm pretty sure he knows everything.

Long story. Sort of was a jerk to me.

robertosh
Feb 20, 2013, 03:40 AM
i've just bought a kingspec 64gb ssd pata drive, i will post some benchmarks when it arrive.. Anyone benchmark program for doing tests right now to compare later..?

The main reasons for buying a pata ssd are the age of the current disk, the sound and the heat. I hope this helps

MisterKeeks
Feb 20, 2013, 04:20 PM
Anyone benchmark program for doing tests right now to compare later..?

AJA System Test. (http://mac.softpedia.com/progDownload/AJA-System-Test-Download-81585.html)

Bob Kiwi
Feb 20, 2013, 06:05 PM
FYI: PowerBook G4 Titaniums, starting with the DVI model, have 48-bit addressing, so they can use any drive that will physically fit. I've been using a 320GB WD Scorpio Blue in my 1 GHz TiBook for a couple years now. Also, Mac OS 9's boot drive limit is 200GB. Anything at or below that (I made the boot partition 198 GB just to be safe) and you're fine. OS9 can read and write to drives larger than 200GB, it just can't start up from them unless it's from a ≤200GB partition on the drive.

Also, got a question. I've got the same model PowerBook and I've been thinking of putting an OWC Mercury Legacy Pro in it. How did installation go with the Foxconn connector? I wasn't able to get it connected when I worked on mine and I ended up returning the Mercury. The pins on the drive are offset by a millimeter or two from industry standard PATA HDDs, so I wasn't able to get the connector to plug in without forcing it because it was a couple millimeters off from where it was supposed to be. I asked OWC if this was a manufacturing defect or if they're all like that, but I never got a response.

Regardless, I've been thinking of rebuying next month and getting some spare rubber mounts for the hard drive and modifying them with an x-acto so the drive sits a couple mm further in so it'll fit.

How's your experience with noise/heat/battery life running your PowerBook off the Mercury?

Thanks for the corrections to sizing for Mac OS 9.

My TiBook with the Mercury SSD was super easy to install from the stock Apple original drive (well, maybe not the original drive, but what the machine had) and been running almost non-stop without problems (in Mac OS 9, even). Can't speak for battery life, as again mine is run closed and on AC. However, since it is running closed, in Mac OS 9 without much heat control, I can say I've never had any worries about heat, even when I was dumping old data CDs.

I took some pics, so I attached them here. The little black gromit thingies were difficult to get eased into the hard drive bay, but once I did it correctly there was no rattle or problems.

Hope it helps- I do love it, so glad that OWC offers these PATA SSDs.

Frost7
Feb 20, 2013, 08:15 PM

My TiBook with the Mercury SSD was super easy to install from the stock Apple original drive (well, maybe not the original drive, but what the machine had) and been running almost non-stop without problems (in Mac OS 9, even). Can't speak for battery life, as again mine is run closed and on AC. However, since it is running closed, in Mac OS 9 without much heat control, I can say I've never had any worries about heat, even when I was dumping old data CDs.

I took some pics, so I attached them here. The little black gromit thingies were difficult to get eased into the hard drive bay, but once I did it correctly there was no rattle or problems.

Fantastic, I really appreciate the info and reply!

Oddly enough I finally heard back from OWC just today too (that took a while) and their tech support thinks that may have been a defective unit, as they said the pins should line up exactly with regular HDDs. I think I will try for another one and place an order in a week or so.

dinobot
Feb 22, 2013, 08:25 AM
I'm stuck on formatting my Kingspec 32gb PATA ssd.

I'm trying install Tiger 10.4.6 on my ibook with SSD I just installed . Disk Utility recognizes disk, but can't partition it. Program says "Operation timed out"

how can I solve it?

robertosh
Mar 8, 2013, 08:21 PM
I've installed a kingspec 64ssd ".6" sucesfully.

Results 82.74
System Info
Xbench Version 1.3
Physical RAM 1280 MB
Model PowerBook6,5
Processor PowerPC G4 @ 1.20 GHz
L2 Cache 512K @ 1.20 GHz
Bus Frequency 134 MHz
Video Card ATY,RV280M9+
Drive Type KingSpec KSD-PA25.6-064MS KingSpec KSD-PA25.6-064MS
Disk Test 82.74
Sequential 91.70
Uncached Write 86.14 52.89 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 99.46 56.28 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 63.24 18.51 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 162.76 81.80 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Random 75.37
Uncached Write 28.06 2.97 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 69.92 22.38 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 1326.36 9.40 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 419.83 77.90 MB/sec [256K blocks]

MisterKeeks
Mar 8, 2013, 08:36 PM
I've installed a kingspec 64ssd ".6" sucesfully.

Results 82.74
System Info
Xbench Version 1.3
Physical RAM 1280 MB
Model PowerBook6,5
Processor PowerPC G4 @ 1.20 GHz
L2 Cache 512K @ 1.20 GHz
Bus Frequency 134 MHz
Video Card ATY,RV280M9+
Drive Type KingSpec KSD-PA25.6-064MS KingSpec KSD-PA25.6-064MS
Disk Test 82.74
Sequential 91.70
Uncached Write 86.14 52.89 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 99.46 56.28 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 63.24 18.51 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 162.76 81.80 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Random 75.37
Uncached Write 28.06 2.97 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 69.92 22.38 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 1326.36 9.40 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 419.83 77.90 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Keep us updated on whether it keeps performing well or if performance degrades.

robertosh
Mar 9, 2013, 06:13 AM
Keep us updated on whether it keeps performing well or if performance degrades.

Today the ibook doesn't come back from sleep, i had to force shutdown. I'm investigating the issue..it can be related to the hard disk sleep mode, i will mantain you updated.. really excited for the mod anyways ;)

TUSL2C
May 15, 2013, 02:46 PM
Computer Model:

Model Name: PowerBook G4 15"
Model Identifier: PowerBook5,8
Processor Name: PowerPC G4 (1.5)
Processor Speed: 1.67 GHz
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz

SSD Model name: KingSpec KSD-PA25.6-128MS

Revision: 20121203

Benchmark results:

Disk Test 59.32

Sequential 103.62

Uncached Write 109.97 67.52 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 102.39 57.93 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 73.86 21.61 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 161.25 81.04 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random 41.56

Uncached Write 12.79 1.35 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 66.35 21.24 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 1666.84 11.81 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 418.22 77.60 MB/sec [256K blocks]

I would NOT recommend this PATA SSD for the price / performance

DaKKs
May 16, 2013, 05:30 AM
Anyone ever try to run SSD's as system drives in the optibay with a PATA-SATA ODD adapters?

Main bays are good and all, but if you opt for a PATA or a SATA 1.8 w/ adapter, the prices double as opposed to a 2.5 SATA in the optibay.

ppcfanforever1
May 16, 2013, 11:16 AM

Looks super sexy! Great job :D

666sheep
May 16, 2013, 11:39 AM
Anyone ever try to run SSD's as system drives in the optibay with a PATA-SATA ODD adapters?

Main bays are good and all, but if you opt for a PATA or a SATA 1.8 w/ adapter, the prices double as opposed to a 2.5 SATA in the optibay.

ATA 33 isn't best for SSD unless it's your only bus.
PATA SSDs aren't nowadays that expensive as they used to be some time ago.

DaKKs
May 16, 2013, 01:08 PM
ATA 33 isn't best for SSD unless it's your only bus.
PATA SSDs aren't nowadays that expensive as they used to be some time ago.

ATA 33? Damn... I was hoping to use the spare OCZ SSD I have. But ATA 33 is going to bottleneck it beyond recognition

wobegong
Jun 3, 2013, 10:58 AM
Powermac G5 DC 2.3

OCZ Agility 3 248Gb (latest firmware 2.25) (Boot drive)

Results 263.44
System Info
Xbench Version 1.3
Physical RAM 12288 MB
Model PowerMac11,2
Processor PowerPC G5x2 @ 2.30 GHz
L1 Cache 64K (instruction), 32K (data)
L2 Cache 1024K @ 2.30 GHz
Bus Frequency 1 GHz
Drive Type OCZ-AGILITY3 OCZ-AGILITY3
Disk Test 263.44
Sequential 168.67
Uncached Write 211.70 129.98 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 208.91 118.20 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 98.17 28.73 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 248.93 125.11 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Random 601.21
Uncached Write 455.66 48.24 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 385.79 123.50 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 2802.73 19.86 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 662.38 122.91 MB/sec [256K blocks]

wobegong
Jun 3, 2013, 10:28 PM
Power mac G5 quad

OCZ agility 3

It's bootable on mine, try upgrading the firmware (mine is on 2.25)