PDA

View Full Version : FS: New iBook Keyboard

paperinacup
Sep 17, 2005, 04:21 PM
Just as the title says I have a new iBook keyboard still in the plastic. Looking to get $53 Shipped OBO for it. I have perfect feedback on plenty of websites. I accept payment via Paypal.

VanMac
Sep 17, 2005, 06:06 PM
Which Gen is it for...or are they all the same....?

reberto
Sep 17, 2005, 06:07 PM
Will it work with a G3 iBook. I hate the G3 KB and wonder if one from a G4 will fit.

paperinacup
Sep 17, 2005, 06:13 PM
Well I bought it for a IBook G4 1.42 14". I am not sure which ones it will fit but give me alittle wihle and I'll sure find out. I BELIEVE it fits iBook G3 500 and above.

paperinacup
Sep 17, 2005, 06:19 PM
Nope only works for G4s. :(

XIII
Sep 18, 2005, 02:41 AM
US keyboard layout?

California
Sep 18, 2005, 02:51 AM
Just as the title says I have a new iBook keyboard still in the plastic. Looking to get $53 Shipped OBO for it. I have perfect feedback on plenty of websites. I accept payment via Paypal.

If it fits the 14" ibook g4 1.2ghz I want your PayPal address... ASAP!

paperinacup
Sep 18, 2005, 10:20 AM
Yup US keyboard layout. And appears to be sold to California.

WillMak
Sep 18, 2005, 10:35 AM
is it easy to install? I am intimidated by the ribbon thing

paperinacup
Sep 18, 2005, 11:09 AM
Takes about 1 minute. VERY easy to install.

paperinacup
Sep 19, 2005, 02:30 PM
Never recieved money from buyer so I guess its back up for sale.

paperinacup
Sep 19, 2005, 04:32 PM
SOLD! Will be shipped DHL Express today.

paperinacup
Sep 19, 2005, 04:33 PM
ACtually funds have not been cleared via Paypal. Its an eCheck so I have to wait 1 or 2 days until it has cleared.

California
Sep 19, 2005, 09:04 PM
ACtually funds have not been cleared via Paypal. Its an eCheck so I have to wait 1 or 2 days until it has cleared.

I know, the last few bucks I had to echeck you, but you did get an instant payment? The PayPal thing was the holdup last night, btw. Could not send payment with the money I had on the site with an instant transfer from account; had to echeck you.

paperinacup
Sep 19, 2005, 09:12 PM
I know, the last few bucks I had to echeck you, but you did get an instant payment? The PayPal thing was the holdup last night, btw. Could not send payment with the money I had on the site with an instant transfer from account; had to echeck you.

Echeck takes 2-3 days to clear.

paperinacup
Sep 27, 2005, 03:55 PM
Shipped it overnight to buyer (I paid extra since the buyer seemed really desperate to get it, it was $36.53) and looks like we may have a problem.

Buyer wants to return keyboard for below reason.

"i'll cover shipping back to you, but because this does not match the casing on the newer 14" ibooks, I've got to return it to you, and would appreciate a refund."

But the problem is that this IS from the new 14' (Mid 2005). I had this keyboard and the one on my 14"( Mid 2005). They are both the same. I am not sure how to handle this.

paperinacup
Sep 27, 2005, 04:08 PM
"Dear Apple Customer,

Thank you for selecting AppleCare Service to repair your Apple Product.

Your estimate of the repair of IBOOK G4 (14-INCH MID 2005) serial number XXXXXXX appears below.

ITEM PRICE RETURN INSTRUCTIONS NON-RETURN CHARGE
Keyboard, US / Canada $xxx Return not required $x

If you are required to return any original part after replacement, you must do so within 10 business days of receiving the replacement part. If the part is not returned, you may be either charged for the part, or assessed a late fee, plus any applicable taxes."

This is to prove that I got it directly from Apple.

XIII
Sep 28, 2005, 01:29 PM
Blank that serial number out NOW. ^^

California
Sep 28, 2005, 02:23 PM
"Dear Apple Customer,

Thank you for selecting AppleCare Service to repair your Apple Product.

Your estimate of the repair of IBOOK G4 (14-INCH MID 2005) serial number **************** appears below.

ITEM PRICE RETURN INSTRUCTIONS NON-RETURN CHARGE
Keyboard, US / Canada $xxx Return not required $x

If you are required to return any original part after replacement, you must do so within 10 business days of receiving the replacement part. If the part is not returned, you may be either charged for the part, or assessed a late fee, plus any applicable taxes."

This is to prove that I got it directly from Apple.

J, I totally believe you got it from Apple! What ghz is your iBook?
Like I said, it doesn't match either of the identical keyboards on my 1.2ghz and 1.33ghz iBooks. It's got grey lettering, not black; therefore it looks faded and very different from my keyboards and the one, nearly new one, btw, that I want to replace. I just wanted a new smelling/totally new keyboard. My existing iBook keyboard on the 1.2 may have been used 10 to 20 times, max.

And the keyboard itself looks "grayer" Very strange.

paperinacup
Sep 28, 2005, 03:30 PM
It was a replacement for either a 12" 1.33ghz or 14" 1.42.

California
Sep 29, 2005, 12:03 PM
It was a replacement for either a 12" 1.33ghz or 14" 1.42.

No dispute it's an Apple keyboard at all. (re your prior email from Apple).

It just doesn't match either of my iBooks, both 14", 1.2, 1.33ghz, that have identical keyboards in black lettering.

This has grey lettering, greyer tint.

There must have been a slight design change in the newest revision of iBooks, is all I can think of.

So they don't match.

So I can't use your keyboard.

So I'm willing to pay shipping back to you if you refund my 53 bucks.

It's still a great, brand new keyboard for someone with the latest rev. of iBooks.

Annon
Sep 29, 2005, 12:26 PM
I would say that since you specified earlier in the thread that it was a 1.42 GHz iBook and that you weren't sure that it would work with earlier iBooks that you aren't responsible for giving the refund, unless you told the buyer that it would fit his in PM or email.

Instead of having it shipped back to the seller, and then him shipping it to another buyer, why don't you just see if there is anyone else that wants it California?

I've never made a purchase on these forums, but I read them often, and I'm just giving my input, you guys handle it however you feel is fair.

LimeiBook86
Sep 29, 2005, 12:54 PM
The buyer did not guarentee the color of the keyboard letters. The keyboard works for the model he said it would but, the color is different. The buyer wants the keys to be a different color, this is in no way the seller's fault since the seller did not guarentee that the keyboard keys would be a certain color. If the buyer was so concerned about the key color he should have asked for pictures, although he assumed it would have been the same as his, you can never be too sure in these situations.

Next time ask for pictures from the seller and make sure the item is exactly how you want, these are all risks of buying something, weather online or in a store. I'm sure you can sell the keyboard for a good price or even sell it to a website like www.pbparts.com The product was as describbed and it works, in my opinion this is not the seller's fault and the seller should not have to accept a refund in this situation just because the buyer didn't think the part would turn out to be the color it is.

paperinacup
Sep 29, 2005, 12:58 PM
The buyer did not guarentee the color of the keyboard letters. The keyboard works for the model he said it would but, the color is different. The buyer wants the keys to be a different color, this is in no way the seller's fault since the seller did not guarentee that the keyboard keys would be a certain color. If the buyer was so concerned about the key color he should have asked for pictures, although he assumed it would have been the same as his you can never be too sure in these situations.

Next time ask for pictures from the seller and make sure the item is exactly how you want, these are all risks of buying something, weather online or in a store. I'm sure you can sell the keyboard for a good price or even sell it to a website like www.pbparts.com The product was as describbed and it works, in my opinion this is not the seller's fault and the seller should not have to accept a refund in this situation just because the buyer didn't 'think' the part would turn out to be the color it is.

Exactly my point. I do not feel that I am responsible for a refund. Shipping by itself was a little over $36. I nor ANY company will refund shipping charges.

paperinacup
Sep 29, 2005, 01:01 PM
The buyer says "it won't work" because of the slight color difference. The color difference doesn't mean it doesn't work. Saying it doesn't work implied that I sent a broken product.

w_parietti22
Sep 29, 2005, 03:09 PM
^^^
It still has the same connection, and its the same size... so whats the big deal?

paperinacup
Sep 30, 2005, 07:47 PM
The buyer has decided to file a claim with Paypal. I HIGHLY doubt they will force me to issue a refund.

LimeiBook86
Sep 30, 2005, 07:53 PM
The buyer has decided to file a claim with Paypal. I HIGHLY doubt they will force me to issue a refund.
If the buyer wanted the keyboard to be a certain color he/she should have made sure it was the same thing, even maybe requested a picture of the item.

Apple has had MANY iBook models with plenty of different keyboard colors, clear, white, more white, less white. It's not your fault and I don't think PayPal is going to do anything about this. And the buyer, you can either sell it on eBay or trade for a different model right here on the forums.

California
Oct 1, 2005, 02:59 AM
Wow. I had no idea people were discussing the keyboard I bought from Paperinacup with such enthusiasm. And I asked the seller if he wanted me to "request a refund from PayPal" or what he wanted me to do since the keyboard didn't work for me.

Uh, there's a problem with the keyboard. It may be a design change from Apple for latest revision -- but I think it's a mistake in manufacture because without a backlit keyboard, these keys are too faint to the eye. Since I use iSkins, this exacerbates the problem of seeing what keys you are typing unless you are an expert touch typist.

I will take it to an Apple store this weekend and compare color of the keys with new books. I did try to take a photo of the keyboard next to both of my new, but earlier revision, ibooks and it does not photograph real well.

I'm intrigued by the level of discussion about this -- when I thought my purchase was being handled between me and the seller through PMs.

I did not know the seller spent a fortune on shipping to me overnight until I reread this thread. I would have been willing to negotiate something with him, or urged him to find a cheaper shipper, had I known his downside.

I am a confessed "sniffer" and that is the real reason I wanted a brand new keyboard. Wanted new computer smell. However, this color match problem was something unexpected. I honestly thought it was for a G3 or very early revision iBook when I first saw it because the lettering is so faint and different from BOTH the keyboards I have, including another 12" iBook a friend just got (though also last revision 12" 'book).

Need a face to face test with a latest revision 'book to see what the trouble is. Quality control can't be that off with Apple.

California
Oct 1, 2005, 03:31 AM
del

California
Oct 1, 2005, 03:35 AM

Uh again, this is NOT what I said in my PM to you. Please correct.

devilot
Oct 1, 2005, 08:54 AM
Uh, there's a problem with the keyboard. It may be a design change from Apple for latest revision -- but I think it's a mistake in manufacture because without a backlit keyboard, these keys are too faint to the eye. Since I use iSkins, this exacerbates the problem of seeing what keys you are typing unless you are an expert touch typist.
<snip>
Need a face to face test with a latest revision 'book to see what the trouble is. Quality control can't be that off with Apple.Um... as far as I've seen, the only Apple keyboards that are backlit are PowerBooks, 15" and larger... I have the latest revision iBook and the lettering on the keyboard is definitely gray, NOT black.

OKComputer
Oct 1, 2005, 09:11 AM
Heres a fun exercise:

anyone who has an G4 ibook please post the color of the keyboard.

(this is not to encourage california because I believe he is wrong. For the life of me I cant remember ever owning a black keyboard on my ibook. and ive had two different G4 models)

paperinacup
Oct 1, 2005, 10:52 AM
Uh again, this is NOT what I said in my PM to you. Please correct.

Well you said did I want you to request a refund from Paypal. Usually when someone says that they are talking about filing a claim. I am sorry if I misunderstood you.

California
Oct 1, 2005, 12:01 PM
Well you said did I want you to request a refund from Paypal. Usually when someone says that they are talking about filing a claim. I am sorry if I misunderstood you.

Thank you, apology accepted, Paperinacup.

California
Oct 1, 2005, 12:03 PM
Um... as far as I've seen, the only Apple keyboards that are backlit are PowerBooks, 15" and larger... I have the latest revision iBook and the lettering on the keyboard is definitely gray, NOT black.
Um... as far as I've seen, the only Apple keyboards that are backlit are PowerBooks, 15" and larger... I have the latest revision iBook and the lettering on the keyboard is definitely gray, NOT black.

UH, I think I've been around MR long enough now that I'm very well aware that iBooks don't have backlit keyboards.

And if your new iBook's keys are gray, you've proved my point.

w_parietti22
Oct 1, 2005, 01:32 PM
It just doesn't match either of my iBooks, both 14", 1.2, 1.33ghz, that have identical keyboards in black lettering.

This has grey lettering, greyer tint.

UH, I think I've been around MR long enough now that I'm very well aware that iBooks don't have backlit keyboards.

And if your new iBook's keys are gray, you've proved my point.

She actually proved you wrong from what I can see.

California
Oct 2, 2005, 06:28 AM

Dear Paperinacup

Let me know the exact part number as I will be putting this up for sale for someone with a newer revision iBook. Should be in the invoice from Apple that you sent me but not in the email I got for some reason. Like a 922-something number. Thanks.