PDA

View Full Version : Apple Updates Apple TV, Remote for iOS with iTunes 11 Support

MacRumors
Nov 29, 2012, 12:29 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/29/apple-updates-apple-tv-remote-for-ios-with-itunes-11-support/)

Apple has updated the Apple TV's software (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4448?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US) as well as the Remote app for iOS, presumably adding support for iTunes 11 and the new iCloud features introduced within it. The Apple TV release has a build number of 10A831.

The Apple TV can be updated directly on the unit by going to the Settings menu, then General, then selecting Update Software. The last Apple TV update was released (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/24/apple-releases-5-1-update-for-2nd-and-3rd-generation-apple-tv/) back in September.
iTunes Up Next

Adds support for Up Next with iTunes 11 or iTunes Match. See upcoming songs when playing music on your Apple TV. Add new songs and edit what's queued with your Remote or with the Remote app.

Stability and performance

Includes performance and stability improvements with the iTunes Store, AirPlay, Netflix, iTunes Match, and wired Ethernet connections.http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/11/NewImage38.png
The Remote app has been updated with a new view for iPad as well, one that looks almost identical to iTunes 11. It allows users to control iTunes or the Apple TV using their iPhone, iPad or iPod touch over a Wi-Fi network.
Remote is simpler and easier with new ways to browse your library and see and edit upcoming songs with Up Next. A redesigned experience for the iPad shows all the songs in an album with the Expanded view and a more powerful search delivers results as you type.Remote is a free download (http://appshopper.com/entertainment/remote) from the App Store. [Direct Link (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id284417350?mt=8)]

Article Link: Apple Updates Apple TV, Remote for iOS with iTunes 11 Support (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/29/apple-updates-apple-tv-remote-for-ios-with-itunes-11-support/)

zed
Nov 29, 2012, 12:42 PM
Any word in iTunes Extras for AppleTV?

nep61
Nov 29, 2012, 12:43 PM
This one goes to 11 !

iJohnnyG
Nov 29, 2012, 12:44 PM
Wow, it's beautiful! :)

musio
Nov 29, 2012, 12:45 PM
too many (well, more) clicks to get to the app store.

moan moan, otherwise nice and snappy.

amitabhbansal
Nov 29, 2012, 12:47 PM
friends
Apple just released 5.1.1 (10A831), i didnt updated it yet as per my earlier bad experience, if someone has updated it please let us know what are the changes and the BUGS too, so that we can think over it to update or not
Thanks

Icaras
Nov 29, 2012, 12:50 PM

This! I'm installing the update now so we'll see in a bit....

I really hope so. They've been promising Extras ever since the ATV 2.

Also, I'm liking the new white play arrow on the logo.

Stuipdboy1000
Nov 29, 2012, 12:50 PM

Nothing unfortunately. Heres the changes from the Apple website:

iTunes Up Next
Adds support for Up Next with iTunes 11 or iTunes Match. See upcoming songs when playing music on your Apple TV. Add new songs and edit what's queued with your Remote or with the Remote app.

Stability and performance
Includes performance and stability improvements with the iTunes Store, AirPlay, Netflix, iTunes Match, and wired Ethernet connections.

mcrawley
Nov 29, 2012, 12:56 PM
Like the new 3.0 Remote App I have found so far:

*Access all the content types
*Ability to make it stay awake/alive in settings for instance access
*Turn visuallizer on and off remotely and it automatically goes full screen. Nice little feature: say you go from a movie to music while hooked up to screen or projector, instead of being stuck looking at the library.
*Up next preview on playlists (before it just showed where the track was on the album)
*Seems to be more Airplay integration.

As someone who does presentations, this may make things a little easier.

Icaras
Nov 29, 2012, 12:57 PM
Nothing unfortunately.

Yep, nothing still. They should aim for Extras on Apple TV by next year. I sill can't believe it doesn't support it yet.

johnnyrb
Nov 29, 2012, 01:06 PM
Has anyone had a problem updating software on Apple TV (version 2)?

My upgrade has been processing for at least an hour.

mrzippy
Nov 29, 2012, 01:19 PM
Hopefully fixes the bug introduced in the last update where netflix doesn't log viewing times always, its really annoying trying to work out what episode is next.

aphxtwinin
Nov 29, 2012, 01:19 PM

same here, its been in the Step 1 "Prep Update" phase for a good 20min here.

Jamie0003
Nov 29, 2012, 01:27 PM
Yep, nothing still. They should aim for Extras on Apple TV by next year. I sill can't believe it doesn't support it yet.

It needs an appstore too... as well as more content. I don't understand why Apple has ignored the Apple TV so much, the potential uses for it are endless....

davidjearly
Nov 29, 2012, 01:30 PM
If you update iTunes, do you need to update the Apple TV to stream things from your Mac/iTunes library?

jontech
Nov 29, 2012, 01:38 PM
45 min here too, still updating

ATDistinction
Nov 29, 2012, 01:40 PM
I swear on my life! That adding song to a list of next to be played was an idea I sent to apple about 12 months ago!!! I described it as a live playlist. Because your never in the mood for the same exact song, you should be able to just say I want to listen to that, that, that and.... that. I admit they could have had that idea from somewhere else but, cool if it was me.

extricated
Nov 29, 2012, 01:42 PM
I'm one of the few folks still using the original Apple TV.

I just hope the IOS Remote update doesn't kill my functionality - or it will be back to the old point and click.
Maybe I should just get the new Apple TV, but the old one is still awesome in my book.

jontech
Nov 29, 2012, 01:50 PM
Doesn't stream home movies from Home Sharing, just tried unless I am missing a setting

machpost
Nov 29, 2012, 01:52 PM
So how is iTunes Up Next accessed on the Apple TV?

farleysmaster
Nov 29, 2012, 01:59 PM
I swear on my life! That adding song to a list of next to be played was an idea I sent to apple about 12 months ago!!! I described it as a live playlist. Because your never in the mood for the same exact song, you should be able to just say I want to listen to that, that, that and.... that. I admit they could have had that idea from somewhere else but, cool if it was me.
Like iTunesDJ?

Mike MA
Nov 29, 2012, 02:02 PM
The Remote app has been updated with a new view for iPad as well, one that looks almost identical to iTunes 11.

Is this one of the first harmonization efforts in the design area driven by J.Ive?

Wheeler
Nov 29, 2012, 02:15 PM
Anyone figure out whats new, if anything?

Still no movie audio out via airplay, music only...

unobtainium
Nov 29, 2012, 02:19 PM
This has probably been in the works for at least the past year. Doubt we'll see Ives' influence for at least another year. These things have long development times.

shorn
Nov 29, 2012, 02:25 PM
The thing that annoys me most about this "update" is that it does not show your cloud purchases in with your library.

Now, in iTunes 11, they are unified. You can also browse all of them unified in the Remote app.

However, nothing has changed on the ATV. If you want your local iTunes library media, you need to got to Computers, and if you want purchased, you have to go to either TV/Movies section.

Very annoying.

iOrbit
Nov 29, 2012, 02:26 PM
is any one elses AppleTV update taking rediculously long to update??

i tried it then it failed the first time, took over an hour.

trying it a 2nd time, still going insanely slow, is it a big update or what?

JackieTreehorn
Nov 29, 2012, 02:34 PM

No, my Apple TV updated in less than 4 minutes - I have no bugs to report. It works just fine, much like previous updates worked just fine for me...

PNutts
Nov 29, 2012, 02:34 PM

I reset mine before upgrading and it took about five minutes.

Doesn't stream home movies from Home Sharing, just tried unless I am missing a setting

After upgrading ATV I am able to play movies from iTunes 11 via Home Sharing.

212rikanmofo
Nov 29, 2012, 02:35 PM
I am curious to know because in the updated Remote 3.0 app for iOS there's a button to turn/off the music visualizer. I've been waiting for ATV to support this for ages. I would love to be able to have the iTunes music visualizer on my ATV. With the new software that has just been released for the ATV, can someone confirm if this will work?

SandboxGeneral
Nov 29, 2012, 02:38 PM
I am curious to know because in the updated Remote 3.0 app for iOS there's a button to turn/off the music visualizer. I've been waiting for ATV to support this for ages. I would love to be able to have the iTunes music visualizer on my ATV. With the new software that has just been released for the ATV, can someone confirm if this will work?

That's a feature I would like to see as well, but I didn't see anything in the Apple release notes today indicating anything like that. The visualizer button in Remote.app is for use on a Mac.

GarrettL1979
Nov 29, 2012, 02:40 PM
The thing that annoys me most about this "update" is that it does not show your cloud purchases in with your library.

Now, in iTunes 11, they are unified. You can also browse all of them unified in the Remote app.

However, nothing has changed on the ATV. If you want your local iTunes library media, you need to got to Computers, and if you want purchased, you have to go to either TV/Movies section.

Very annoying.

That's disappointing.

DJJAZZYJET
Nov 29, 2012, 03:09 PM
Looks nice, liking the new iTunes. Oh, and you can do some UI customising with the 'View' tab on your menu bar.

Mike MA
Nov 29, 2012, 03:24 PM

Same and still ongoing.

iOrbit
Nov 29, 2012, 03:30 PM
i cant get my apple tv to update. im using an appletv 3, in the uk here.

every time i update, it fails. even now after the download has become much faster, it just fails. iv tried restarting it..

steve-p
Nov 29, 2012, 03:46 PM
Same and still ongoing.

Mine is also taking forever to update, although the bar seems to move one or two pixels occasionally :(

MacRumorUser
Nov 29, 2012, 03:56 PM
Just did mine, took 3 minutes. Cant see what's new though. ATV3

Mustafa
Nov 29, 2012, 04:47 PM
However, nothing has changed on the ATV.

Well, mine has crashed four times in fifteen minutes. I'm going to bed!

timstl
Nov 29, 2012, 07:03 PM
Going on 40 minutes for "Preparing update..."

Hopefully it eventually works? Seems strange some people have no issue.

Rob1547
Nov 29, 2012, 07:40 PM
One of the Apple TV's in my home had some trouble during the update, as others have reported, stuck for ~45 minutes on the "Preparing Update" phase.

For me, unplugging the device, Resetting it to defaults, and then updating the software did the trick.

timothyquinlan
Nov 29, 2012, 08:19 PM
I just send in feedback on the remote app to apple. This stuff drives me nuts, here is what I sent them:

As an iTunes power user there is one thing omitted from the remote app for IOS that makes it unusable.

Your column browser over the years has trained us to organize our music by genre, then by artist, then by album. I have 7000 albums all sorted this way. In the new remote app if you click genre, you get a list of EVERY album, sometimes many hundreds, with no way to sort it by artists in that genre. The next drill down is songs, which makes the problem even worse. It needs to be genre, then a list of artists in that genre, then drill down to see all of the albums from that artist.

It has worked this way for years, changing it now makes the new itunes and the new remote app completely useless for me with such a large collection. And as you know, I cant uninstall it and go to an old version...

Matman
Nov 29, 2012, 09:56 PM
Does anyone else miss the days when apple stuff just... Well.... Worked? What is this new trend I ask? To many dev trees? Cut back on the test department? One can only hope that robotics, automation, or holographics R&D have bumped the normal daily grind stuff.

juniormaj
Nov 29, 2012, 10:54 PM
I tried everything, or so I thought, to make this update work.
Restarts, resets, and even a factory restore.
In the end, I unplugged the wired Ethernet cable and joined my wifi network. Then the update worked. Could be a coincidence.

TeachMeiOS.com
Nov 30, 2012, 12:36 AM
So, I'm usually super excited when ever Apple updates their software. However, I'm not so sure about this iTunes 11 update. There are certain UI things that I like. But overall, this update kind of makes me feel a little like I'm stuck in a box that is hard to navigate. It is not as intuitive as some of the iTunes software updates. Maybe it will just take some time to get used to - we'll see!

Defender2010
Nov 30, 2012, 02:27 AM
Not loving the new Remote app icon. Especially on iPad Mini. The old one looked better. :(

locust76
Nov 30, 2012, 07:50 AM
Your column browser over the years has trained us to organize our music by genre, then by artist, then by album.

"Us?" Surely you're using the "Royal We" here...

mattskaj
Nov 30, 2012, 07:59 AM

Tried four time last night. Failed to complete every time. Tried reseting the system as well. No joy.

iOrbit
Nov 30, 2012, 08:11 AM
Tried four time last night. Failed to complete every time. Tried reseting the system as well. No joy.

are you using ethernet? some users including myself couldn't update if using ethernet, worked first time when i switched to wifi on the Apple tv. try wifi.

I tried everything, or so I thought, to make this update work.
Restarts, resets, and even a factory restore.
In the end, I unplugged the wired Ethernet cable and joined my wifi network. Then the update worked. Could be a coincidence.

its not.

photographypro
Nov 30, 2012, 08:20 AM
I'm one of the few folks still using the original Apple TV.

I just hope the IOS Remote update doesn't kill my functionality - or it will be back to the old point and click.
Maybe I should just get the new Apple TV, but the old one is still awesome in my book.

I have the original Apple TV and the newest Remote App works just fine, on both an iPad and an iPhone 4S.

cavemonkey50
Nov 30, 2012, 10:49 AM
Hopefully fixes the bug introduced in the last update where netflix doesn't log viewing times always, its really annoying trying to work out what episode is next.

It does, but I had to logout out of Netflix then login again for it to work.

timmodugdale
Nov 30, 2012, 12:24 PM
Just to note that the install took a long time. For a while, I was afraid the AppleTV had frozen -- enough that I searched for my micro-USB cable in case I had to restore in iTunes. I even put a piece of tape on the screen to see whether the install was processing. Eventually it progressed through the screens and successfully completed.

robinp
Nov 30, 2012, 02:07 PM
Just to note that the install took a long time. For a while, I was afraid the AppleTV had frozen -- enough that I searched for my micro-USB cable in case I had to restore in iTunes. I even put a piece of tape on the screen to see whether the install was processing. Eventually it progressed through the screens and successfully completed.

I gave up waiting and pulled the plug out the back of mine. It had been approximately 40mins stuck at the same place (about 3/4 through preparing). I've now successfully done it in about 2 mins on the second attempt

pvig42
Dec 1, 2012, 03:46 AM
Wow meaning what a slow update. Taken an hour & only 3/4 of the way through step one. Hope it's worth it.

Now have to update the other one :eek:

farleysmaster
Dec 1, 2012, 04:52 AM
I've had an issue at least once (possibly twice) where home sharing has just quit in the middle of watching something. Anyone else had this?

blybug
Dec 1, 2012, 08:27 AM
Can't quite wrap my head around exactly how it would work...but seems they're about a half-step away from merging Music.app with Remote.app.

Frustrating that Remote.app on iPad has such a nice functional UI to browse Cloud, iTunes Match, local music, and Home Sharing Libraries, but can't be used to play stuff on the iPad itself.

pvig42
Dec 1, 2012, 01:29 PM
It took over 1.5 hours to update the ATV2 in my room via wifi but in the end it worked. For some reason I can't update the ATV3 In my lounge which is connected by Ethernet cable. Tried 4 times & keeps saying its unsuccessful even after restart, reset or restore.

Maybe I'll have to connect through wifi to see if it works. Really frustrating as I've NEVER had a problem with ATV updates in any room wired or not:confused:

pvig42
Dec 1, 2012, 01:49 PM
It took over 1.5 hours to update the ATV2 in my room via wifi but in the end it worked. For some reason I can't update the ATV3 In my lounge which is connected by Ethernet cable. Tried 4 times & keeps saying its unsuccessful even after restart, reset or restore.

Maybe I'll have to connect through wifi to see if it works. Really frustrating as I've NEVER had a problem with ATV updates in any room wired or not:confused:

Like others, I disconnected the Ethernet and updated via wifi & worked within minutes.

robinp
Dec 2, 2012, 03:26 AM
Like others, I disconnected the Ethernet and updated via wifi & worked within minutes.

Mine worked with Ethernet on the 2nd attempt.

What was more strange was that I couldn't use airplay - either from mac or ios devices. For some reason the ATV update had actually turned OFF AirPlay in its settings. Turned it back on and boom all works fine now. Very strange that the update changed my settings

citi
Dec 2, 2012, 09:11 AM

What was more strange was that I couldn't use airplay - either from mac or ios devices. For some reason the ATV update had actually turned OFF AirPlay in its settings. Turned it back on and boom all works fine now. Very strange that the update changed my settings

Mine too.

Fatboy71
Dec 2, 2012, 11:02 AM
When I updated my Apple TV 3 back in September with the last software update. I was unable to carry on from the last viewed part of a Podcast.

Can anyone confirm that this bug has been fixed with this latest software update?

Fatboy71
Dec 2, 2012, 11:41 AM
When I updated my Apple TV 3 back in September with the last software update. I was unable to carry on from the last viewed part of a Podcast.

Can anyone confirm that this bug has been fixed with this latest software update?

I've just updated to the latest software and the problem is still there FFS :mad:

I'll be rolling back to the pre September version later on that's for sure.

pvig42
Dec 2, 2012, 04:04 PM

I had about 4 attempts with Ethernet but nothing sadly.

I noticed that AirPlay was turned off also which is weird as previous updates didn't turn it off. Strange!!

brandon8419
Dec 2, 2012, 05:25 PM
Anyone know why I don't have the ability to use airplay? I updated both iTunes and Apple TV but when I click on airplay to stream music to my TV, it only gives me the option to have it keep playing on my computer

edit: nevermind, sharing got turned off when I updated apple TV. All is well :)