PDA

View Full Version : iStat Menus Updated With New Look, History Views, and Bandwidth Monitor

MacRumors
Nov 29, 2012, 01:04 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/29/istat-menus-updated-with-new-look-history-views-and-bandwidth-monitor/)

iStat Menus by Bjango has been updated to version 4 (http://www.macstories.net/links/istat-menus-4/), adding a new look and new features. Among other things, the app now shows a historical chart of various system metrics looking at the past hour, 24 hours and week. It also adds a Little Snitch (http://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/index.html)-esque look at which processes are using up network bandwidth.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/11/istatmenu.pngBjango has now come out with iStat Menus 4, and the new version has some interesting and, for me, welcome changes. Aside from the usual bug fixes, Retina support and better Mountain Lion compatibility, iStat Menus 4 introduces a refreshed look that brings consistency with Bjango's other iStat app, iStat 2. iStat Menus now features the same style for graphs and charts as iStat 2, and, even better, it comes with the same History menu to view a component's performance over time. For instance, you can mouse over the CPU's main graph and check out a second menu with History for the past hour, 24 hours, and 7 days. There are more time-related view options available, and there's more to customize in the app's Preferences (which have also been redesigned, and it took me a while to get used to them at first). I appreciate the consistency with iStat 2, and I like History because it lets me easily check my network's conditions over time.iStat Menus 4 is available for $16 via Bjango's online store (http://sites.fastspring.com/bjango/product/istatmenus4store). It's $9 for current iStat Menus 3 owners.

Article Link: iStat Menus Updated With New Look, History Views, and Bandwidth Monitor (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/29/istat-menus-updated-with-new-look-history-views-and-bandwidth-monitor/)

Quu
Nov 29, 2012, 01:13 PM
I actually purchased iStat Menus 3 when it released but I don't think I'm going to pay for this new version. I don't see why I would pay to get what is essentially a Retina Graphic update. The new features are pretty worthless.

kockgunner
Nov 29, 2012, 01:23 PM
Is the dashboard one still free? There was a weird period where it was supposedly paid but I still got it for free. I think if you restore from Time Machine and just copy the files over the older versions still work. Anyway, I don't care to know about these stats anymore.

jvpython
Nov 29, 2012, 01:26 PM
This app is awesome! I purchased it right away. Definitely worth the $16. It gives you comprehensive information on every part of your computer and now you can even manually change the fans speeds! Highly recommend.

Unggoy Murderer
Nov 29, 2012, 01:28 PM
I actually purchased iStat Menus 3 when it released but I don't think I'm going to pay for this new version. I don't see why I would pay to get what is essentially a Retina Graphic update. The new features are pretty worthless.
Just purchased, downloaded and installed on my 2011 iMac. The history views are pretty nice, and the UI on both the app and menus looks a lot fresher. It also includes the details of attached network storage too, and the new Networking status menu is quite nice too. Worth the small upgrade fee to be honest.

Cougarcat
Nov 29, 2012, 01:34 PM

Yeah, I don't see any reason to upgrade either.

The Bulge
Nov 29, 2012, 01:42 PM
Still shows that all GPU memory is used. :mad:

parish
Nov 29, 2012, 01:43 PM
I hope they've addressed the battery life issue that's been annoying me ever since I got my retina MBP. The iStat Menu battery remaining %age is consistently 2-5% less than the OS X battery indicator :mad:

Didn't happen on my old 2007 MBP

oneMadRssn
Nov 29, 2012, 02:01 PM
Is the dashboard one still free? There was a weird period where it was supposedly paid but I still got it for free. I think if you restore from Time Machine and just copy the files over the older versions still work. Anyway, I don't care to know about these stats anymore.

iStat Pro for Dashboard is gone, no more. You can find a few thread on if here, one thread has been updating it and fixing some of the incompatibilities it has with Mountain Lion, but overall, its donezo.

jvpython
Nov 29, 2012, 02:21 PM

What Mac are you using it on? Has never done that to me.

bobobenobi
Nov 29, 2012, 03:09 PM
I just upgraded. It's buggy. Clicking to next month takes me to December 2013. Clicking the heading to return to current month takes me to October 2012. The text indicator for upload/download speeds stays stuck at 0.0b/s. Those disk space indicator bars and most of the other graphs are UGLY. The text in the menus is way too large and makes my sensors menu extend WAY off screen.

davidwarren
Nov 29, 2012, 03:21 PM
I'll stick with version 3.

quester
Nov 29, 2012, 03:37 PM
I just bought v3 three days ago. Complained yesterday when I saw the new version, and they sent me a new registration for v4 five minutes later.

Not sure if v3 had info about which processes was consuming the most bandwidth, but very nicely done in v4 (no need for little snitch).

vvebsta
Nov 29, 2012, 04:15 PM
Why do they keep charging for every version? Its so annoying once a new version comes out and then it either bugs you to update or if you update it by accident it will tell you now you need to buy it. Its still the same app just with some new graphics.

They need to put it on the app store and give free updates. Just my opinion. I know developers need to get paid too, but I don't think a few new icons is worth the money.

bmauter
Nov 29, 2012, 04:47 PM
What's wrong with MenuMeters? It's free.

http://www.ragingmenace.com/software/menumeters/

Cougarcat
Nov 29, 2012, 04:56 PM
Why do they keep charging for every version? Its so annoying once a new version comes out and then it either bugs you to update or if you update it by accident it will tell you now you need to buy it. Its still the same app just with some new graphics.

They need to put it on the app store and give free updates. Just my opinion. I know developers need to get paid too, but I don't think a few new icons is worth the money.

At least there is upgrading pricing.

If it were on the MAS (BTW, I think app store restrictions make it impossible) what would happen is the old version would get pulled and everyone would have to pay full price. :rolleyes:

Relevant, Bjango's take on the app store. (http://bjango.com/articles/hotdogapplife/)

weezerr
Nov 29, 2012, 05:13 PM
This product is massively overpriced. $5 and Id buy it for the skins, otherwise cant seem to justify it over the free alternatives.

maxwelltech
Nov 29, 2012, 05:59 PM

That is what I use every day. Does its job very well. I can't justify $16 for something that is essentially a minimized version of Activity Monitor.

Greg.
Nov 29, 2012, 06:13 PM
This may be me, but it looks really messy and ugly to me. Having your internet speed and CPU usage showing all the time is a unnecessary distraction and goes against the 'it just works' Mac philosophy. It's all a bit linux-sy!

Simplicity and consistency:

http://i46.tinypic.com/7jvd.png

larrylaffer
Nov 29, 2012, 06:15 PM
This may be me, but it looks really messy and ugly to me. Having your internet speed and CPU usage showing all the time is a unnecessary distraction and goes against the 'it just works' Mac philosophy. It's all a bit linux-sy!

This post makes me sad.

Greg.
Nov 29, 2012, 06:49 PM
This post makes me sad.

Why, out of interest? It's just my personal view and can understand why many people would disagree with me. But nowadays computers are powerful enough for me to not worry about what % of RAM I'm utilising at all times. Ages ago when I was on a old Windows desktop, I always was opening task manager and checking process usage, and it was sucked. Simplicity and ease of use ftw!

Just eww:

http://i46.tinypic.com/29z27hg.png

Blaine
Nov 29, 2012, 07:01 PM

Well for one, it's fugly.

I never thought I'd say this, but I downloaded the trial, and absolutely fell in love with it. I too wish it was on the mac app store, but oh well.

HiRez
Nov 29, 2012, 07:25 PM

MenuMeters FTW, it's awesome.

paduck
Nov 29, 2012, 07:57 PM

You've got to be kidding me. I bought v3.0 in May 2010 for $16. More than two and a half years later I can get an upgrade for $9. That's less than three lattes at Starbucks. It really isn't that much money. I have to say I use iStat menus a lot. I like to see the network speed when I am transferring files around the house and I like to see the CPU temp and activity levels - especially when I am doing video encoding. It's a very useful application.

The developers have to make some money, they really can't just give the product away for free. They aren't out there monetizing the thing every twelve months. Again, it's been 31 months since I purchased 3.0 and they've constantly upgraded the product through various Apple system upgrades to maintain compatibility. This product is a steal at the price. Don't begrudge the authors for wanting to make a little profit. They have a nice suite of integrated products at reasonable prices. It would be nice if there were more small developers like them.

GIZBUG
Nov 29, 2012, 08:39 PM
This product is massively overpriced. $5 and Id buy it for the skins, otherwise cant seem to justify it over the free alternatives.

Agree'd

----------

after installing the free trial, im not sure how to get rid of the default mac Time, battery, etc. Any idea? Want to use istat time, and not the default time on the top bar on my mac.

conigs
Nov 29, 2012, 09:06 PM
after installing the free trial, im not sure how to get rid of the default mac Time, battery, etc. Any idea? Want to use istat time, and not the default time on the top bar on my mac.

Hold down ⌘, then drag it off the menu bar.

ArtOfWarfare
Nov 29, 2012, 11:09 PM

There's no way such a model is sustainable. MacRumors had a link to a blog nicely explaining it back in August, but to the best of my memory the summary was this:

Some things, like food, lose value over time. As you eat it, its value goes down. Therefore, a finite cost can be calculated.

Some things, like the news, have rather constant value. There's always something new to read about. It neither gains value nor loses value over time. Thus they charge a constant fee over time.

Apps not only maintain value, they actually get better over time. To properly charge users, apps must have paid upgrades. The developer went through the effort of adding new features, and so they have every right to ask for a bit more money than what you have already paid.

Having said that, big fixes should always be free. You should pay for apps with the expectation that they'll work as advertised.

In-App Purchases are a very nice start, but Apple needs to allow developers to start offering paid updates, where they can say "New users pay $15 to get V4, V1 users pay $13, V2 users pay $10, V3 users pay $7", or something to that extent.

It could be like the "complete this album" button in the iTunes music store.

The Bulge
Nov 29, 2012, 11:28 PM

iMac 27" 2011.

Namtaro
Nov 30, 2012, 12:23 AM
I find the look quite... cartoonish. Maybe I just like the minimlistic more. I bought an app called 'System Monitor' instead. Looks a ton better IMO.

coder12
Nov 30, 2012, 12:59 AM

I've been really enjoying the ability to see what apps are using my bandwidth. Little Snitch always had its unique way of messing up OS X for the times I used it to monitor apps using the Internet.

alphaod
Nov 30, 2012, 01:24 AM
Do I need to upgrade? No.

But I am willing to support and update (even paid) for software that I find useful, which is the case for iStat Menus.

Bjango
Nov 30, 2012, 01:39 AM

This is a known issue. OS X 10.8 introduced some changes for some graphics cards that meant memory usage isn't reported correctly. At this point we believe it's a driver issue and one we can't fix at our end.

iStat Pro for Dashboard is gone, no more. You can find a few thread on if here, one thread has been updating it and fixing some of the incompatibilities it has with Mountain Lion, but overall, its donezo.

That's correct — we kept the iSlayer website and all the widgets around for several years after we ceased development of them. If you'd like to download one of the widgets, I can provide a link.

I just upgraded. It's buggy. Clicking to next month takes me to December 2013. Clicking the heading to return to current month takes me to October 2012.

This is a known issues that some users (definitely not all) are seeing. We're working hard on a fix right now (we think we have it solved, but are still doing some testing).

The text indicator for upload/download speeds stays stuck at 0.0b/s.
Do you have the Primary Interface set to Automatic? It's possible you're monitoring an interface that's not the one you're using for internet.

Those disk space indicator bars and most of the other graphs are UGLY.

Ugly in which way? We're definitely going to make some design changes as version 4 progresses.

The text in the menus is way too large and makes my sensors menu extend WAY off screen.

Which Mac model do you have? The text is already smaller than Apple's standard menus. I'm not sure we'd want to go much smaller.

I'll stick with version 3.

We're totally fine with that and hope you're enjoying iStat Menus 3.

I just bought v3 three days ago. Complained yesterday when I saw the new version, and they sent me a new registration for v4 five minutes later.

November 12 is the cut off. If anyone purchased iStat Menu on or after November 12, please get in touch and we'll give you an upgrade.

Not sure if v3 had info about which processes was consuming the most bandwidth, but very nicely done in v4 (no need for little snitch).

That's new for iStat Menus 4. :)

At least there is upgrading pricing.

If it were on the MAS (BTW, I think app store restrictions make it impossible) what would happen is the old version would get pulled and everyone would have to pay full price. :rolleyes:

Relevant, Bjango's take on the app store. (http://bjango.com/articles/hotdogapplife/)

Yep. We've been able to do a few nice things like upgrade pricing, a 14 day trial and we've been able to upgrade people who bought recently. All not possible if we were on the Mac App Store. (Not that iStat Menus could be on the Mac App Store anyway.)

Well for one, it's fugly.

I never thought I'd say this, but I downloaded the trial, and absolutely fell in love with it. I too wish it was on the mac app store, but oh well.

Thank you. Please see above regarding Mac App Store. Not possible for iStat Menus without drastically changing the functionality, unfortunately.

Again, it's been 31 months since I purchased 3.0 and they've constantly upgraded the product through various Apple system upgrades to maintain compatibility. This product is a steal at the price. Don't begrudge the authors for wanting to make a little profit. They have a nice suite of integrated products at reasonable prices. It would be nice if there were more small developers like them.

We've updated iStat Menus 3 twenty times since the initial release, plus added new features and support for new Macs. To add support for new Macs, we typically have to buy every single model. We often sell the Macs not long after, but it's a huge app to maintain and develop. Thank you for your comments — this definitely hasn't been a trivial endeavour for us and we still have lots of things planned for 4.x.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them in a timely fashion.

Cheers,
Marc

parish
Nov 30, 2012, 02:12 AM
Good to see a developer willing to join a forum like this and interact with their customers, so kudos for that :)

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them in a timely fashion.

Cheers,
Marc

Can you comment on the point I made (post #8) about the battery indicator please? I did report this to you.

The Bulge
Nov 30, 2012, 02:47 AM
This is a known issue. OS X 10.8 introduced some changes for some graphics cards that meant memory usage isn't reported correctly. At this point we believe it's a driver issue and one we can't fix at our end.

Why not put the text "Info not available" not a full progress bar? Full progress bar means what it means, i'm not a mind reader.

Bjango
Nov 30, 2012, 03:04 AM
Why not put the text "Info not available" not a full progress bar? Full progress bar means what it means, i'm not a mind reader.

We don't have a full list of the GPUs affected. Also, the same GPU drivers do provide the correct info for OS versions prior to 10.8 *and* it's possible that the bug will be fixed in a future OS version. So we don't know the difference between a correctly reported 100% and an incorrect 100%.

It's not an ideal situation, but it seems like maintaining a list of the affected GPUs and OS versions so we can selectively hide or the info, not knowing if future OS versions will fix the issue.

It's definitely something we're thinking about and would like to solve, I'm just not sure that there is a good solution available to us.

I hope they've addressed the battery life issue that's been annoying me ever since I got my retina MBP. The iStat Menu battery remaining %age is consistently 2-5% less than the OS X battery indicator :mad:

Didn't happen on my old 2007 MBP

We're using the Apple provided and endorsed method for getting battery remaining time and percentage. They use a different method for their own menubar item. Which is more accurate? We haven't done tests to find out.

Simplicity and consistency

Good things to aspire to. Here's my menubar.

http://i.imgur.com/z5j7m.png

Tastydirt
Nov 30, 2012, 03:27 AM
Great app that I use regularly on all my Macs and I have no problem paying for a family license. There are too many people here from the iOS generation used to free software and living with it's deficiencies.

Thanks for giving us the choice to pay for quality.

throttlemeister
Nov 30, 2012, 03:45 AM
It's the first thing I install on my Mac. I upgraded immediately the moment I heard of v4 being out and love it. The only comment I would have is that I prefer the old battery icon over the new one, but that is a taste issue not a program issue. It's also not aligned properly horizontally, but oh well.

http://sht.tl/22E

As for price, I don't think it is expensive, especially considering how the program is maintained and updated. Support questions are always promptly answered.

I just love being able to see my network/cpu usage at a glance. Menumeters is so fugly, I wouldn't even consider it as an alternative. But besides the looks, iStat Menus lets you customize what you want to see and more importantly how you want to see it in ways no other program does.

Bjango
Nov 30, 2012, 03:46 AM
Great app that I use regularly on all my Macs and I have no problem paying for a family license. There are too many people here from the iOS generation used to free software and living with it's deficiencies.

Thanks for giving us the choice to pay for quality.

Thank you for using iStat Menus. We really appreciate it.

vvebsta
Nov 30, 2012, 04:08 AM
I hear you guys. I think all of what you said about developers getting paid is legit. It was simply my personal opinion. There are some apps that to me serve a single function and I want to buy it once and not have to think about it ever again.

To me its like buying a flashlight app on your phone. It serves a single purpose, to turn the light on and off. I'm happy to pay full price for this up front. If the developer polishes the interface, upgrades the graphics, tweaks the UI... whatever the case may be, it doesn't matter to me much because the function remains the same.

The iStats app is a great app that I am happy I paid full price for, but once its setup to my liking I'm not inclined to change it. I just want it to diligently serve its purpose without having to think about it again.

Having said that I will probably still buy the upgrade just to support the dev team, though probably the last time for this app unless they come up with something truly revolutionary in v5.

Bjango
Nov 30, 2012, 05:45 AM
I hear you guys. I think all of what you said about developers getting paid is legit. It was simply my personal opinion. There are some apps that to me serve a single function and I want to buy it once and not have to think about it ever again.

That's completely fair enough. The old app will continue to work, and if you're happy with it, then by all means keep using it!

There's very simple logic that can be applied to all software products: If the developer doesn't have enough income to cover maintenance and new features, everyone loses out and the app won't see any more updates. We try to be very upfront with our business model... we ask for what we feel is a very reasonable amount of money so we can continue building products we love and use ourselves.

parish
Nov 30, 2012, 06:22 AM
We're using the Apple provided and endorsed method for getting battery remaining time and percentage. They use a different method for their own menubar item. Which is more accurate? We haven't done tests to find out.

Thanks for the explanation. So the solution lies with Apple then?

At the end of the day, it's not a big deal - won't stop me u/g to v4 - it's just that when the battery gets really low and the Apple meter says 5% and yours says 2% I start wondering whether I can finish what I'm doing before it shuts down or do I need to go and get the charger.

Bjango
Nov 30, 2012, 06:27 AM
Thanks for the explanation. So the solution lies with Apple then?

At the end of the day, it's not a big deal - won't stop me u/g to v4 - it's just that when the battery gets really low and the Apple meter says 5% and yours says 2% I start wondering whether I can finish what I'm doing before it shuts down or do I need to go and get the charger.

The funny thing is that both numbers have been provided by Apple. We're just displaying one in our app and that differs to their own menubar item. One day I'd love to compare the two to see which is more accurate.

jmnikricket
Nov 30, 2012, 07:39 AM
You've got to be kidding me. I bought v3.0 in May 2010 for $16. More than two and a half years later I can get an upgrade for $9. That's less than three lattes at Starbucks...

Yes, but it's 96 packages of Ramen; we're not all coffee-drinking hipsters ;)

I'll stick with MenuMeters myself!

enu
Nov 30, 2012, 07:40 AM
Did any one else notice that total data used on each of the network interfaces is no longer displayed? Is this just a setting somewhere that I've missed?

-SD-
Nov 30, 2012, 07:50 AM
I'm using Version 3 and I find it very useful. I'll certainly be upgrading and supporting such a great application.

:apple:

Raunien
Nov 30, 2012, 09:11 AM
Is there a way to hide the bluetooth DUN option under network in istatmenu 4?

Also, is there a method to switch on/off which sensors to show under sensor drop down menu?

Also another bug is that in calendar, the option to start the week on a sun/mon has been removed and that has resulted in calendars being off by one day

sh4ne
Nov 30, 2012, 09:16 AM
seems to have a few bugs.. date for one is a killer bug for me.

wikus
Nov 30, 2012, 10:01 AM
Got version 4 yesterday. Wow, its ugly. The graphs, icons, etc look far too iOS/toy like, theyre way too damn big to show so much information. Also, the Blaqua skin in version 3 was badass, made things look FAR more catered to the tech savvy user that likes to tinker with their computer, you know, the 'hacker geek' type.

Really hate the look of v4.

That said, I uninstalled v4, wiped preferences and went back to v3.

parish
Nov 30, 2012, 11:35 AM
Did any one else notice that total data used on each of the network interfaces is no longer displayed? Is this just a setting somewhere that I've missed?

Just hover over the Upload/Download of the interface on the menu and a pop-right appears :)

gotzero
Nov 30, 2012, 11:43 AM
I use it and updated. Very happy with old and new versions, not experiencing any problems.

parish
Nov 30, 2012, 12:10 PM
Upgraded now. Observations?

Someone described the graphs as 'cartoonish', but I'd say 'clunky'. They are way too big. The graph size in v3 was about right IMHO. Also, the title text on the menus is also way too big, again IMHO. Maybe it's partly because I've got a retina screen and things can be so much smaller yet still be clearly readable.

I notice that the calendar, as it did in v3, retains the month you select after you've closed and re-opened it. This caused me a problem once on v3 as I hadn't realized I was looking at the wrong month. I'd much prefer it if it reverted to the current month on closing - maybe make it an option since some people will prefer the current behaviour.

EDIT Just noticed, there are no Enclosure Base temp. sensors in v4. There were 3 in v3. Where have they gone?

Also, it reports the backlight voltage as 45.98V :eek: Is that correct, or a bug? I thought that the battery was only ~20V :confused:

Graph opacity and Theme have no effect.

GIZBUG
Nov 30, 2012, 12:21 PM
Hold down ⌘, then drag it off the menu bar.

Thanks. And if I decide I want to readd it to menu bar, how do I do that after i dragged it off?

parish
Nov 30, 2012, 12:27 PM
Thanks. And if I decide I want to readd it to menu bar, how do I do that after i dragged it off?

You can't, they're gone for good. Only a complete reinstall of OS X will get them back :p

Seriously, you re-add them through System Preferences, but they are each in their respective sections - battery is in Energy Saver, clock is in Date & Time (Clock tab), etc.

garbeth
Nov 30, 2012, 01:09 PM

MenuMeters FTW!!

bobobenobi
Nov 30, 2012, 02:56 PM
Do you have the Primary Interface set to Automatic? It's possible you're monitoring an interface that's not the one you're using for internet.

I tried Automatic and my wired interface and neither work. The graphing of bandwidth utilization works, it's just the text that does not.

Ugly in which way? We're definitely going to make some design changes as version 4 progresses.

They're huge and blue and look out of place with the rest of OS X. The previous version looked really nice. The indicator bars were small yet easily-readable and had a color that fit in with the OS. The color also changed depending on the theme, and that functionality appears to be gone.

Which Mac model do you have? The text is already smaller than Apple's standard menus. I'm not sure we'd want to go much smaller.

Eight core 2009 Mac Pro. Your previous version had smaller text and looked great.

----------

Someone described the graphs as 'cartoonish', but I'd say 'clunky'. They are way too big. The graph size in v3 was about right IMHO. Also, the title text on the menus is also way too big, again IMHO.

I would say "garish" instead of "cartoonish" or "clunky", IMO.

Version 3 looked quite nice. There has to be a new graphic designer at Bjango because the same person could not have designed version 3 and 4.

Bjango
Nov 30, 2012, 05:17 PM
Also, the title text on the menus is also way too big, again IMHO. Maybe it's partly because I've got a retina screen and things can be so much smaller yet still be clearly readable.

Yeah, these things tend to look pretty different on Retina vs non-Retina. We're planning on tweaking the section headers though. The next update *may* contain smaller text for those (I agree that it's too big, even on a non-Retina display).

I notice that the calendar, as it did in v3, retains the month you select after you've closed and re-opened it. This caused me a problem once on v3 as I hadn't realized I was looking at the wrong month. I'd much prefer it if it reverted to the current month on closing - maybe make it an option since some people will prefer the current behaviour.

Yeah, that's a tough one. I definitely see your point and agree that it can be undesirable. I bet if we made it revert to today some people would expect the current behaviour and complain. We'll consider adding it as an option though.

EDIT Just noticed, there are no Enclosure Base temp. sensors in v4. There were 3 in v3. Where have they gone?

Also, it reports the backlight voltage as 45.98V :eek: Is that correct, or a bug? I thought that the battery was only ~20V :confused:

Which Mac model do you have? Sensors are one of the hardest part of iStat Menus and we regularly audit them to add new ones, make corrections and sometimes remove sensors we don't have the right info for. Different Mac models have different sensors, so it's a big job.

Graph opacity and Theme have no effect.

Here's the change they should be making to your menubar bar graphs, history graphs and pie graphs.

http://i.imgur.com/16Qhy.png

I tried Automatic and my wired interface and neither work. The graphing of bandwidth utilization works, it's just the text that does not.

Which Mac model do you have, and which network interface are you using? Hopefully we can fix that.

They're huge and blue and look out of place with the rest of OS X. The previous version looked really nice. The indicator bars were small yet easily-readable and had a color that fit in with the OS. The color also changed depending on the theme, and that functionality appears to be gone.

All the graph colours can be customized. The history graphs have editable widths. The bar graphs are 1 pixel different in width to version 3 — the border makes them 1px wider overall, but the graph itself is actually 1px narrower than iStat Menus 3.

Version 3 looked quite nice. There has to be a new graphic designer at Bjango because the same person could not have designed version 3 and 4.

I'm the co-founder and designer at Bjango and I've designed every single thing we've done, past and present.

parish
Nov 30, 2012, 05:30 PM
Which Mac model do you have? Sensors are one of the hardest part of iStat Menus and we regularly audit them to add new ones, make corrections and sometimes remove sensors we don't have the right info for. Different Mac models have different sensors, so it's a big job.

15" retina MBP

Here's the change they should be making to your menubar bar graphs, history graphs and pie graphs.

Image (http://i.imgur.com/16Qhy.png)

Ah, they only change the graphs on the menu bar? I'm using Combined with only Network, Battery, and Time on the menu bar (so no graphs). I assumed those settings would apply to the panels that open from the combined menu item.

Bjango
Nov 30, 2012, 06:13 PM
iStat Menus 4.01 is out. You can download it right now from our site:
http://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/

It'll appear as an update in iStat Menus at some point over the weekend. Here's a list of the fixes and new things added:
http://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/versionhistory/

Ice-Cube
Nov 30, 2012, 06:41 PM
I actually like the new UI. Looks clean and fresh compared to the neon themes in v3.

Raunien
Nov 30, 2012, 08:54 PM
Is there a way to remove unwanted sensor info from the dropdown menu?

Blaine
Nov 30, 2012, 10:36 PM
I think the app is beautiful, and everything is the right size. : ]

Bjango
Nov 30, 2012, 11:32 PM
I actually like the new UI. Looks clean and fresh compared to the neon themes in v3.

Me too. I think iStat Menus 3 was looking a little old, tired and in need of a refresh. I'm really happy with the way iStat Menus 4 turned out and like how it matches iStat for iOS. We do have some tweaks to make on iStat Menus though. I'm working hard on those right now (it's 4PM on a Saturday!).

Is there a way to remove unwanted sensor info from the dropdown menu?

Not currently.

I think the app is beautiful, and everything is the right size. : ]

Thank you.

parish
Dec 1, 2012, 09:46 AM
Me too. I think iStat Menus 3 was looking a little old, tired and in need of a refresh.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that point. Having said that, it's the functionality that's the important thing.

One minor niggle. When you have Network displayed on the menu it is shown with Upload at the top and Download at the bottom. That's logical - up/top, down/bottom - but on the menus/panels it's the other way round which is illogical and inconsistent.

bobobenobi
Dec 1, 2012, 09:51 AM
Which Mac model do you have, and which network interface are you using? Hopefully we can fix that.

It's an "Early 2009" eight-core Mac Pro, aka MacPro4,1. I am using "Ethernet 1".

All the graph colours can be customized. The history graphs have editable widths. The bar graphs are 1 pixel different in width to version 3 — the border makes them 1px wider overall, but the graph itself is actually 1px narrower than iStat Menus 3.

Does this work for the menu that appears, for example, when you click "HDD"? If so, how?

Michaelgtrusa
Dec 1, 2012, 12:02 PM
It tells me the wrong HD space.

Raunien
Dec 1, 2012, 12:40 PM
Another really annoying bug is in the time calendar, it locks up after selecting another day or month.

This is on 10.8.2

Oblivion426
Dec 1, 2012, 02:06 PM
Another really annoying bug is in the time calendar, it locks up after selecting another day or month.

This is on 10.8.2

I emailed their support yesterday regarding this issue and they said it has been fixed in the update released yesterday. I will install to check.

razmarino
Dec 1, 2012, 05:14 PM
cannot find an option to enable time separator in 24h time format..it looks just like this

Bjango
Dec 1, 2012, 06:09 PM
It tells me the wrong HD space.

If you’re using Time Machine, and if your Time Machine drive isn’t connected, OS X 10.7 Lion creates local backups on your startup volume. The Finder doesn’t report this space as used, but Disk Utility and iStat Menus do. For more information, please read this article by Roberto Valerio (http://toti.posterous.com/hidden-local-backups-with-mac-os-x-lion-filli).

That’s why the Finder and iStat Menus show a different value for drive free space.

Unless the discrepancy you're seeing is something else.

cannot find an option to enable time separator in 24h time format..it looks just like this

It's possible to type letters in between the tokens in the menubar clock and world clock editors. To add :, click on the place you'd like it, and type ":". You can also add spaces, where appropriate (before "PM" etc).

http://i.imgur.com/ZmcVH.png

Does this work for the menu that appears, for example, when you click "HDD"? If so, how?

Nope, the theme setting only changes the menubar items.

iStat Menus 4.02 is going well. As well as many other things, we have updated the calendar menubar icons and section headers to look a lot better.

razmarino
Dec 1, 2012, 07:31 PM
It's possible to type letters in between the tokens in the menubar clock and world clock editors. To add :, click on the place you'd like it, and type ":". You can also add spaces, where appropriate (before "PM" etc).

Thank you, no more comments! Good luck in further development!

bobobenobi
Dec 1, 2012, 08:06 PM
Nope, the theme setting only changes the menubar items.

Well, those are the graphs that I think are ugly. They looked nicer in the old version.

EDIT: I just noticed that the drop-down for CPU no longer lists each individual core. Please bring that back. Seeing the behavior of all sixteen of my system's SMT cores is most of the reason I bought your software in the first place.

Bjango
Dec 2, 2012, 12:02 AM
EDIT: I just noticed that the drop-down for CPU no longer lists each individual core. Please bring that back. Seeing the behavior of all sixteen of my system's SMT cores is most of the reason I bought your software in the first place.

It's possible to see the CPU cores in the menubar (as one item, or all cores separate), and to see the cores in the dropdown, via a submenu.

http://i.imgur.com/SFFId.png

JGRE
Dec 2, 2012, 08:37 AM
I rather use my computer to fun stuff instead of looking at the statistics.
When I got iStat, I was looking at the all day, but currently I could't care less as I cannot influence the stats anyways. They should make a windows version because that where you would need this.

bobobenobi
Dec 2, 2012, 09:00 AM
It's possible to see the CPU cores in the menubar (as one item, or all cores separate), and to see the cores in the dropdown, via a submenu.

Image (http://i.imgur.com/SFFId.png)

Can I have them consolidated in the menu but all visible in the drop down?

----------

I rather use my computer to fun stuff instead of looking at the statistics.
When I got iStat, I was looking at the all day, but currently I could't care less as I cannot influence the stats anyways. They should make a windows version because that where you would need this.

Some people use their computers as tools. Some of those people can influence their CPU stats quite easily.

Oui
Dec 2, 2012, 09:21 AM

----------

Some people use their computers as tools. Some of those people can influence their CPU stats quite easily.

I would venture a guess, that the ones who use their computers as tools, rarely if at all use istat for anything. They would simply do their work and move on, not messing about with istat nonesense.

stiligFox
Dec 2, 2012, 11:12 AM
Just curious Bjango, if you see this, is there a way in v4 to put the fan speed back in the menu bar? I can't seem to find it -- that was one of the things I loved about v3.

bobobenobi
Dec 2, 2012, 12:14 PM
I would venture a guess, that the ones who use their computers as tools, rarely if at all use istat for anything. They would simply do their work and move on, not messing about with istat nonesense.

I would venture a guess that you don't know too many professionals. Tools like iStat provide quick access to information that is important to people who want to know what their machine is doing.

What's with, all the commas, in your, post?

Bjango
Dec 2, 2012, 06:03 PM

Sure can.

To do so, turn on Combine cores into one item under the CPU & GPU tab.

Just curious Bjango, if you see this, is there a way in v4 to put the fan speed back in the menu bar? I can't seem to find it -- that was one of the things I loved about v3.

Sure can. There's usually at least 2 fans in any given Mac model (far more in Xserves and Mac Pros). You can choose to show one or more in the menubar. To do so, drag one or more sensors from the available fan sensors area to the menubar sensors area.

http://i.imgur.com/6eig9.png

Our customers tend to be professional tool users, especially those running Xcode, Photoshop, Final Cut Pro X, Logic Pro, Lightroom, and server admins. As quick as computers are, it's still common for heavy duty tools to bring a quick Mac to it's knees.

Also, the world clock and calendar received lots of positive feedback when we added it. I suspect anyone who talks to people overseas may find it handy.

curmudgeon32
Dec 3, 2012, 01:20 PM
I have to say, I really think Dashboard is a great place for this kind of thing. I have plenty of things competing for menubar space, and I also don't really want another full-blown app sitting there when I command-tab through everything. The Dashboard is a spot where things can be out of sight until the moment they're needed. That's why I continue to run copy of the iStat Pro widget that I still have around from way back when. It continues to work nicely, and I'm not cluttering up my screen until I want to check on something.

Bjango
Dec 3, 2012, 05:53 PM
I have to say, I really think Dashboard is a great place for this kind of thing.

It's a shame Apple don't seem to see much future for Dashboard.

I have plenty of things competing for menubar space, and I also don't really want another full-blown app sitting there when I command-tab through everything.

Yep, menubar space is precious. It's worth noting that iStat Menus does not need to be in your Dock or open — it won't add another app to your command-tab overlay. We also added a way to combine all items or some items to a single menubar icon in iStat Menus 3.1, which saves a lot of space.

Almost finished on iStat Menus 4.02.

Raunien
Dec 3, 2012, 06:49 PM

Almost finished on iStat Menus 4.02.

Is the option to remove sensor dropdown menu stuff in 4.0.2?

Bjango
Dec 4, 2012, 01:36 AM
Is the option to remove sensor dropdown menu stuff in 4.0.2?

Nope, iStat Menus 4.02 doesn't add a way to selectively disable some sensors in the dropdown. We *may* add that in the future, if we can think of a smart way to do it.

bobobenobi
Dec 4, 2012, 01:15 PM
Nope, iStat Menus 4.02 doesn't add a way to selectively disable some sensors in the dropdown. We *may* add that in the future, if we can think of a smart way to do it.

Wasn't it in the old version?

nuckinfutz
Dec 4, 2012, 01:17 PM

Just grabbed iSM 4. Buying the iOS version soon as I get my Mac mini setup as a sever. As always the stuff performs as well as it looks.

Bjango
Dec 4, 2012, 09:32 PM
iStat Menus 4.02 is out. Here's a list of what's new and improved:

• Added dark dropdown theme.
• Added white menubar theme (for those with a dark Mac menubar).
• Added more customisation options in Disks extra.
• Moved disk activity into main drop down in Disks extra.
• Improved download & upload order to be more consistent.
• Fixed some installation issues.
• Fixed several calendar issues.
• Fixed world clocks being in the wrong order in some cases.
• Fixed an issue that caused the menubar time to stop updating.

The white menubar theme is for those using Obsidian (http://www.maxrudberg.com). Due to popular demand, we now have a dark dropdown menu theme.

Wasn't it in the old version?

It was, but it was a bit messy. The sensors tab was redesigned fairly significantly to improve other aspects, like allowing for more space for the available sensors (the area you drag the sensor tokens from).

Out of curiosity, which sensors do you want to disable? All the sensors of one type, or do you want to be more selective than that?

Just grabbed iSM 4. Buying the iOS version soon as I get my Mac mini setup as a sever. As always the stuff performs as well as it looks.

Thank you. We really appreciate it. We're a small company, so people supporting our apps really does make a difference.

milo
Dec 5, 2012, 10:25 AM

Then I guess you'd be wrong.

The work I do is very hardware intensive, and iStat has been hugely helpful in figuring out the best way to configure things for best performance.

parish
Dec 5, 2012, 12:20 PM
iStat Menus 4.02 is out. Here's a list of what's new and improved:

• Added dark dropdown theme.
• Added white menubar theme (for those with a dark Mac menubar).
• Added more customisation options in Disks extra.
• Moved disk activity into main drop down in Disks extra.
• Fixed some installation issues.
• Fixed several calendar issues.
• Fixed world clocks being in the wrong order in some cases.
• Fixed an issue that caused the menubar time to stop updating.

I notice that you've also renamed theme dropdown to menubar theme (it was just 'theme' in 4.0 wasn't it?) making it clear that it only applies to the menu bar :)

parish
Dec 5, 2012, 12:27 PM

Oops, you only changed half of it :p

jmille44
Dec 5, 2012, 12:43 PM

Mac Pro with Radeon HD 5770 shows 100% memory usage.
I contacted the company and they claim it's Apple's fault and Apple
needs to fix it. Version 2 worked. 3 and 4 do not.

Concorde Rules
Dec 5, 2012, 03:42 PM
Just updated to 4 (long time user of iStat, dating back to the early days of the dashboard app!)

However updates should never remove features!!!!

There are currently missing features/annoyances that I would need putting back/fixing for me to update.

Note the following screenies are from my MBP...

1. Power Display (Watts) removed, please put this back. Along with all the sensors that have now gone missing.
2. Ability to remove sensors. I don't have a CPU B in my Mac Pro, so what is the point of displaying it!?!?!
3. Where has the RPM suffix gone???

Before/After

http://concorde-photos.co.uk/site/sensors1.pnghttp://concorde-photos.co.uk/site/sensors2.png

4. Network connections: Why does it show all of them now!? Please add the ability to disable/hide unused/unwanted connections.

PS: I use both network ports on my Mac Pro, so a user setting which one he wants to display isn't good enough.

http://concorde-photos.co.uk/site/network1.pnghttp://concorde-photos.co.uk/site/network2.png

5. My 6870 shows 100% memory usage at the desktop. I think not with 1GB on board :P

6. Add the ability to show 1/7/14 days of iCal reminders?

7. I don't like how the Voltage/Amperage in the Battery drop down is now in its own sub menu. It isn't like the battery one is a long list anyway, so can you put that back ala V3? Also the bar at the bottom looks a little out of place :S

What is the menubar/background polling rate? 1 second for the menubar and 1 min for the graphs? Im assuming this new version hasn't increased the CPU usage over the old one?

I DO like the history graphs, so if you can fix the above then I will purchase the upgrade.
I also like the time/date menu now too.

curmudgeon32
Dec 5, 2012, 05:41 PM
It's a shame Apple don't seem to see much future for Dashboard. I guess. I mean, it's still a part of Mountain Lion, right? Is it inherently more difficult to sell widgets vs. other kinds of apps, or are you guys just nervous that the Dashboard will go away in OS 10.9 or 11?

NickZac
Dec 5, 2012, 07:38 PM
This is not cool. I updated to it automatically. It looks so/so if you dont have a retina, it has no new useful features, and it serves no purpose for most users that 3 didn't. I'm really let down. What is the easiest way to get rid of it and back to 3? A Time Machine or CCC restore?

edit: when I say new, I mean things that will commonly be used

NickZac
Dec 5, 2012, 09:54 PM
This is not cool. I updated to it automatically. It looks so/so if you dont have a retina, it has no new useful features, and it serves no purpose for most users that 3 didn't. I'm really let down. What is the easiest way to get rid of it and back to 3? A Time Machine or CCC restore?

edit: when I say new, I mean things that will commonly be used

I was able to overwrite with version 3.27 from a Carbon Copy Cloner backup.

Here is the top reason I hate it. You can disable shadows in 3 but you cannot in 4. For people with vision problems like myself, it is not readable at all. Why would you remove this feature and add all sorts of marginally useful ones? Maybe the shadow looks good on a retina but it looks awful on my normal 15 inch hi-res.

Bjango
Dec 5, 2012, 11:20 PM
Oops, you only changed half of it :p

Noted. We'll get those other bits changed in the next update. Thanks for letting us know.

Mac Pro with Radeon HD 5770 shows 100% memory usage.
I contacted the company and they claim it's Apple's fault and Apple
needs to fix it. Version 2 worked. 3 and 4 do not.

iStat Menus 2 didn't show GPU memory usage. :)

Network connections: Why does it show all of them now!? Please add the ability to disable/hide unused/unwanted connections.

Thanks for the feedback. We're look at a good way to implement this now. To be honest, we never liked how it was done in iStat Menus 3. We think we can do better.

My 6870 shows 100% memory usage at the desktop. I think not with 1GB on board :P

Unfortunately, OS X 10.8 was the cause of that. Some graphics cards report 100% memory usage all the time now. We don't believe it's something we can fix at our end — it's a driver issue.

Add the ability to show 1/7/14 days of iCal reminders?

Good suggestion. We definitely plan to keep on improving the Time dropdown.

What is the menubar/background polling rate? 1 second for the menubar and 1 min for the graphs? Im assuming this new version hasn't increased the CPU usage over the old one?

CPU usage is generally lower in iStat Menus 4.

I DO like the history graphs, so if you can fix the above then I will purchase the upgrade. I also like the time/date menu now too.

Thank you.

I guess. I mean, it's still a part of Mountain Lion, right? Is it inherently more difficult to sell widgets vs. other kinds of apps, or are you guys just nervous that the Dashboard will go away in OS 10.9 or 11?

It's definitely harder to sell widgets, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Dashboard is gone from the next version of OS X (or the one after). That seems likely.

This is not cool. I updated to it automatically.

Sorry you feel that way. We were cautious to make sure we informed people. Maybe we could have been even clearer? Here's some info and the update message you would have seen before installing: http://bjango.com/help/istatmenus4/update/

You can try iStat Menus 4 out for 14 days and decide if you'd like to keep it. If you don't want it, you can reinstall iStat Menus 3 easily (iStat Menus 3 is still available for download from our website).

Here is the top reason I hate it. You can disable shadows in 3 but you cannot in 4.

To remove the shadows, set the shadow colour opacity to 0%.

http://i.imgur.com/xjpXe.png

TouchArchive
Dec 6, 2012, 01:11 AM
Bjango great App ,but want to buy from Mac App Store,not from your site.
Any chance?I have credits on my Account from gift cards.:)

Bjango
Dec 6, 2012, 01:15 AM
Bjango great App, but want to buy from Mac App Store, not from your site. Any chance?

Thank you.

Unfortunately, there's zero chance of that happening. We require some private APIs and other things that simply aren't possible while abiding by Apple's App Store guidelines. It's unlikely iStat Menus will ever be available on the Mac App Store.

We do have another app, MiStat (http://bjango.com/mac/mistat/) that doesn't show as much information as iStat Menus, but it is available on the Mac App Store. That may be a good alternative?

The good news is that not being on the Mac App Store means we were able to offer upgrade pricing on iStat Menus. We are also able to upgrade anyone who purchased after November 12 to iStat Menus 4. Both of those things would not have been possible if iStat Menus was on the Mac App Store.

So it's a good thing.

NickZac
Dec 6, 2012, 06:05 AM
Sorry you feel that way. We were cautious to make sure we informed people. Maybe we could have been even clearer? Here's some info and the update message you would have seen before installing: http://bjango.com/help/istatmenus4/update/

You can try iStat Menus 4 out for 14 days and decide if you'd like to keep it. If you don't want it, you can reinstall iStat Menus 3 easily (iStat Menus 3 is still available for download from our website).

To remove the shadows, set the shadow colour opacity to 0%.

Image (http://i.imgur.com/xjpXe.png)

Okay...so I went back to the image and not seeing it is my fault. I apologize for my original comment regarding that. To be completely honest with you, I don't think a lot of people read the fine print. You have had quite a few revisions to version 3 and so when it tells me there is an upgrade I would simply click okay. So in that case I should have paid more attention. The upgrade message looks as attached. I honestly just saw 'upgrade' and 'install'.

As far as the shadows go, setting opacity to 0% on 4 does not create the same crisp look on my computer than on 3. It is still fuzzy. I've attached a picture of the option I would use on 3 and what they actual image looks like. I spent a good 30 minutes playing around with 4 and could not get the image to the same level of sharpness. For most, that probably is not an issue. For me, it is the difference in being able to read it and not. From what I have noticed, some retina-tuned programs seem to lose a bit of clarity on non-retina screens, but that could just be me.

Concorde Rules
Dec 6, 2012, 08:21 AM
*SNIP*

I'm at work at the moment, but I've just noticed that the network connection graph in the menubar has also disappeared. Is that me not enabling it or you have removed it?

Also, can you confirm you will be sorting out the sensors/wattage issue? I don't want to continuously think what 0.7 V x 28A is :p and see that CPU B is drawing 0V and 0A!!

Cheers!

redshovel
Dec 6, 2012, 09:37 AM
Just purchased iStats 4 - looks very nice however temperature reading on menu bar has went from an average of 35 to around 75.

Usually my machine would only report those high temperatures when gaming - and the fans would be on.

Am I missing some simple change to the readout?

milo
Dec 6, 2012, 09:53 AM
Just purchased iStats 4 - looks very nice however temperature reading on menu bar has went from an average of 35 to around 75.

Celsius verus Fahrenheit maybe?

redshovel
Dec 6, 2012, 10:22 AM
Celsius verus Fahrenheit maybe?

No its definitely still reading Celsius.

If I leave the MBP idol the reading does eventually drop to 40 but shoots up-to 50 to 60 the second I start doing anything like open Safari or iTunes.

Is the default sensor reading in iStats 4 'CPU Die - Digital' the same as in iStats 3??, because there is no way my machine used to run at 50 with just Safari open!

EDIT

After performing the usual system resets readings have settled down a bit but the temp reading is still higher than recorded by version 3 earlier today.

Bjango
Dec 6, 2012, 09:41 PM
Okay...so I went back to the image and not seeing it is my fault. I apologize for my original comment regarding that. To be completely honest with you, I don't think a lot of people read the fine print.

I agree and we're definitely going to make sure that next time things are done a little differently.

I honestly just saw 'upgrade' and 'install'.

Yep. The button should have probably been labeled "Install Trial". Please note that you can install iStat Menus 3 again if you choose.

I spent a good 30 minutes playing around with 4 and could not get the image to the same level of sharpness. For most, that probably is not an issue. For me, it is the difference in being able to read it and not. From what I have noticed, some retina-tuned programs seem to lose a bit of clarity on non-retina screens, but that could just be me.

We'll try to look into that. As you've said, it can sometimes be difficult to make font choices for small text that looks great on non-Retina and Retina.

If I leave the MBP idol the reading does eventually drop to 40 but shoots up-to 50 to 60 the second I start doing anything like open Safari or iTunes.

I'm not sure why you're seeing different temperatures to iStat Menus 3. 50ºC to 60ºC definitely sounds well within normal operating temp though. As mentioned previously, we try to audit sensors each release, to make sure they're showing the correct values. This is why some names change and why some values are a little different.

NickZac
Dec 6, 2012, 10:13 PM
I agree and we're definitely going to make sure that next time things are done a little differently.

Yep. The button should have probably been labeled "Install Trial". Please note that you can install iStat Menus 3 again if you choose.

We'll try to look into that. As you've said, it can sometimes be difficult to make font choices for small text that looks great on non-Retina and Retina.

Thanks for the response :)

If the text sharpness of 4 can be improved on non-retina screens then I wouldn't be opposed to upgrading. But as of right now, it's too blurry for me to read without having to move in close and squint.

wtsitmn
Dec 7, 2012, 03:14 PM

Do not "Update" to version 4 unless you're absolutely certain you want to keep it and pay for it. If you install it, then decide to go back to version 3, you'll have quite a mess on your hands. The icons from version 4 will remain, but you won't be able to access them because they now link to the version 3 preference menu you reinstalled. Your old version 3 options will be gone, and if you select any of them you'll then have version 3 and version 4 both showing. WTF?!! I could have checked for a way to resolve all this nonsense, but I chose to simply restore from my last backup rather than going through all the headaches. It was painfully clear that the boneheads running Banjo [sic] were only interested in making a profit rather than caring for their customers. FOR SHAME!!!

Dear Banjo Boneheads:
When you prompt users to "update" their software, they don't expect to get an upgrade they then have to pay you for without a way out.

MacRumoren
Dec 9, 2012, 05:38 AM
Do not "Update" to version 4 unless you're absolutely certain you want to keep it and pay for it. If you install it, then decide to go back to version 3, you'll have quite a mess on your hands. The icons from version 4 will remain, but you won't be able to access them because they now link to the version 3 preference menu you reinstalled. Your old version 3 options will be gone, and if you select any of them you'll then have version 3 and version 4 both showing. WTF?!! I could have checked for a way to resolve all this nonsense, but I chose to simply restore from my last backup rather than going through all the headaches. It was painfully clear that the boneheads running Banjo [sic] were only interested in making a profit rather than caring for their customers. FOR SHAME!!!

Dear Banjo Boneheads:
When you prompt users to "update" their software, they don't expect to get an upgrade they then have to pay you for without a way out.

Yup, this is the most MESSED-UP upgrade ever. There was no warning when the app automatically updated itself. I considered paying for the upgrade but now no matter what I do (unistall, reinstall etc), I can't resolve the "TOP PROCESSES no showing" issue documented on their site here: http://bjango.com/help/istatmenus/noprocesses/

Anyone else having this issue of "processes not showing"?

PhilipPeake
Dec 9, 2012, 05:04 PM
I have to agree that if an upgrade requires a new licence (money) then it should be clearly stated, and provision made to stay at the current release without being bombarded with new upgrade notifications.

I was quite annoyed to find that having installed the upgrade I had to pay to use it, and apparently no ability to roll back to the previous version.

The expanded graphs (black background) are pretty ugly. I would much prefer the ability to customize them back to the V3 format.

Moving stuff around is a pain. I am used to looking at the battery widget to see what the current consumption is. That has now moved under the "Sensors" widget - which displays temperature ... a bit odd to click on temp to see current consumption.

Would be nice to suppress all the silly "progress bars") or whatever they are called and just display the value as a number (Hint: If I wanted an iPad, I would BUY an iPad, I REALLY don't want my laptop to look feel or behave like an iPad).

Generally, not terribly pleased with the money I was forced to spend.

This moved from a "Yes, go buy this thing" classification to a "Meh!" classification.

The history stuff is good, the bandwidth monitor is good. All spoiled by gratuitous shuffling stuff around and crappy aesthetic changes.

Ledgem
Dec 9, 2012, 07:12 PM
I saw the notification about it being a paid update very clearly, and held off on it. Since I don't use a "retina" display and didn't see any compelling features in version 4 over version 3, I figured I'd just stick with it. However, the upgrade pricing was low and I use this app (as well as the out-of-support Dashboard app) many times each day, so I figured I'd do my part to support the developers. I upgraded to version 4 yesterday.

I'm neither pleased nor displeased. There are some neat changes (such as having more information, over a longer span of time), and then there are some things that I'll need to get used to. The big one is the color scheme. I had mine set to green, which matched my iStat Pro Dashboard widget's color scheme and was rather calming on the eyes. If I remember correctly, the color scheme setting influenced the color of some of the text, and the color of the menu graph items. Now all of the text is gray, and the graph colors seemingly can't be changed from blue and red. It's not a bad thing, it's just different from what I'm used to.

I do have one request for the developer. I use Bartender for keeping my menu bar somewhat minimal. This allows me to have the most critical iStat measurements visible at all times, and to have the rest in a secondary menu bar that I can pull up and hide on demand. I can highly recommend it to anyone who thinks that the iStat readouts take up too much space, and who doesn't want to use the Combined feature in iStat. Bartender's options differentiate between "system" items (seemingly, those designated by Apple), other items, and items corresponding to applications. It's not a critical thing, but for some reason iStat shows up under the system items. It would be nice if it showed up under the "active menu items," instead. I assume this has something to do with how iStat Menus is designating itself, but it may be an issue on Bartender's end. If it's intentional, that's OK - I just figured I'd mention it.

Regardless of my personal preferences, I'd also like to say "thank you" to the developers for working on this application. It's very useful.

freeskier989
Dec 11, 2012, 12:13 AM
WTF the menu bar for HDD suddenly shows 0 for used/free? Check it out:

http://s11.postimage.org/oeqtenzpf/Screen_Shot_2012_12_10_at_10_10_54_PM.png

Concorde Rules
Dec 11, 2012, 03:29 PM
Is this a bug where the history graphs show the wrong peak values?

http://concorde-photos.co.uk/site/istathistory.png

Also, it would be nice if you can choose how big your graphs are.

They are kind of too small and lost on at 27" at 2560x1440...

Finally, with the history graphs, can you link the lines (i.e. bridge the gaps) when the machine is asleep/restarted? I don't know how this would look but I've got large 12 hour gaps which make the graphs look, abit silly.

Bjango
Dec 12, 2012, 03:30 AM

75ºC is fairly normal for a CPU Die temperature sensor, while things are being done (Safari can be fairly demanding).

Is the default sensor reading in iStats 4 'CPU Die - Digital' the same as in iStats 3??

What was the name of the sensor in iStat Menus 3? Maybe it was a CPU proximity sensor you're comparing to? I believe the die sensors are located in the CPU and the proximity sensors are nearby, so the proximity ones are typically lower.

Do not "Update" to version 4 unless you're absolutely certain you want to keep it and pay for it. If you install it, then decide to go back to version 3, you'll have quite a mess on your hands. The icons from version 4 will remain, but you won't be able to access them because they now link to the version 3 preference menu you reinstalled.

This shouldn't be the case at all. Did you uninstall iStat Menus 4 before reinstalling iStat Menus 3? Due to the nature of the app, there's a lot of moving parts in the background, so you can't just drag the app itself to the trash.

I have to agree that if an upgrade requires a new licence (money) then it should be clearly stated, and provision made to stay at the current release without being bombarded with new upgrade notifications.

We could have definitely made it more clear (lesson learned), but there is a button that can be used to skip the update (Skip This Version), plus a way to disable update checking completely, if you'd like to do so.

http://bjango.com/images/help/istatmenus4/istatmenus-updatewindow.png

I was quite annoyed to find that having installed the upgrade I had to pay to use it, and apparently no ability to roll back to the previous version.

If you'd like to revert to iStat Menus 3, please uninstall iStat Menus 4 and reinstall iStat Menus 3.

I am used to looking at the battery widget to see what the current consumption is. That has now moved under the "Sensors" widget - which displays temperature ... a bit odd to click on temp to see current consumption.

Battery usage should be under the battery menubar item (configurable from the Battery tab within iStat Menus).

Would be nice to suppress all the silly "progress bars") or whatever they are called and just display the value as a number (Hint: If I wanted an iPad, I would BUY an iPad, I REALLY don't want my laptop to look feel or behave like an iPad).

Which bars are you talking about? They may be able to be changed.

I saw the notification about it being a paid update very clearly, and held off on it. Since I don't use a "retina" display and didn't see any compelling features in version 4 over version 3, I figured I'd just stick with it. However, the upgrade pricing was low and I use this app (as well as the out-of-support Dashboard app) many times each day, so I figured I'd do my part to support the developers. I upgraded to version 4 yesterday.

Thank you very much. We appreciate it.

It's not a critical thing, but for some reason iStat shows up under the system items. It would be nice if it showed up under the "active menu items," instead. I assume this has something to do with how iStat Menus is designating itself, but it may be an issue on Bartender's end. If it's intentional, that's OK - I just figured I'd mention it.

This is because iStat Menus uses NSMenuExtra, rather than NSStatusItem. NSStatusItem is the method Apple want third party developers to use (and the only method acceptable for the Mac App Store), but NSMenuExtra items have many advantages, like the ability to be reordered and placed just to the left of the Spotlight icon. For iStat Menus, those two features are essential. So, unfortunately, it's unlikely we'd change. Maybe there's something the Bartender guys could change at their end.

Regardless of my personal preferences, I'd also like to say "thank you" to the developers for working on this application. It's very useful.

Thanks. We're a tiny company, but we work hard. I hope it shows.

----------

WTF the menu bar for HDD suddenly shows 0 for used/free?

Can you please check to see if you have a disk added to the Menubar Disks area? This will determine which disk(s) are shown in the menubar.

http://i.imgur.com/NozSj.png

Is this a bug where the history graphs show the wrong peak values?

The values in the history graphs are averages of time periods in question. This will smooth out spikes, but also give a better indication of what happened within that period.

Finally, with the history graphs, can you link the lines (i.e. bridge the gaps) when the machine is asleep/restarted? I don't know how this would look but I've got large 12 hour gaps which make the graphs look, abit silly.

Showing a gap is probably the more true and correct way to represent the data though.

fortunecookie
Dec 12, 2012, 03:31 AM
Hopefully the upgrade from the version 3 to 4 would be a lot cheaper than $9

Kimcha
Dec 12, 2012, 06:40 AM
Love the update, thank you! Finally my menu bar is super sharp On my rmbp!

Mr. McMac
Dec 12, 2012, 07:17 AM
Love the update but I'm having a slight issue I've had with earlier versions of iStat Menus 3. When I set my fan speed 2300 rpm's,(I named it "normal") it will run at the speed until I put my 2011 Mac Mini to sleep. When I wake it up, the fan will now run at the default 1800 rpm's even though the normal setting is still selected as seen in the image below. If I re-click my normal setting, the fan will speed up to where I set it. The issue doesn't occur when I power up or re-boot, only when I wake the system from sleep

Ledgem
Dec 12, 2012, 11:00 AM
Hopefully the upgrade from the version 3 to 4 would be a lot cheaper than $9
Show some respect. These guys put in a lot of time and effort into this program, and $9 isn't that much to ask - particularly considering that they don't have an aggressive upgrade schedule (for an example of what I mean, look at Parallels, which has a $40 to $50 upgrade pretty much annually). Don't like it? Don't buy it, but don't whine to the developer about it.

Concorde Rules
Dec 12, 2012, 12:14 PM
Showing a gap is probably the more true and correct way to represent the data though.

That is all very well but I end up with a completely pointless 7 day graph:

http://concorde-photos.co.uk/site/istathistory2.png

Thinking about it, I'd prefer it if the gaps weren't shown at all and just show the 7 days equivalent uptime.

It is a tricky one but the graph atm is completely pointless IMO.

If they could be adjusted in size so you can actually see more then that might be better?

Three user options I'd like to see implemented:

1. Show average or peak over 1 hour/24 hours/7 days. (I'd be interested in my SSDs actual PEAK throughputs).
2. Adjust the size of the graphs.
3. Choose if they want 7 days graph to be real-time or up-time based, because I'd prefer the latter.

Bjango
Dec 13, 2012, 06:47 PM
1. Show average or peak over 1 hour/24 hours/7 days. (I'd be interested in my SSDs actual PEAK throughputs).

That would be great. Please understand that there's some significant technical hurdles in making it work like that though. (For performance and space reasons, data is consolidated.)

3. Choose if they want 7 days graph to be real-time or up-time based, because I'd prefer the latter.

Moving the data so it forms a continuous graph seems like we'd be misrepresenting the data though. (Please also note that iStat Menus and iStat Server are often used by people who have machines running long hours, so seeing sleep time would be advantageous).

Thanks for the feedback though — we definitely will keep refining iStat Menus.

Love the update but I'm having a slight issue I've had with earlier versions of iStat Menus 3. When I set my fan speed 2300 rpm's,(I named it "normal") it will run at the speed until I put my 2011 Mac Mini to sleep. When I wake it up, the fan will now run at the default 1800 rpm's even though the normal setting is still selected as seen in the image below. If I re-click my normal setting, the fan will speed up to where I set it. The issue doesn't occur when I power up or re-boot, only when I wake the system from sleep

Thanks for letting me know. I've logged the issue and we'll hopefully get that fixed soon.

Don't like it? Don't buy it, but don't whine to the developer about it.

Just a small addition to this: We're a small and lean company, and we really love making software. If iStat Menus (or all our apps combined), don't provide us enough income to eat, pay the mortgage, live etc, then we can't continue to develop them. It really is as simple as that.

The reason the iStat Menus 4 upgrade is $9 is based on the number of users we have. This is also why some iPhone apps can be 99c (iOS has a lot more users than OS X). Software isn't cheap because you bought it, it's cheap because other people bought it.

Apologies for the rant.

Yujenisis
Dec 14, 2012, 08:21 AM
We could have definitely made it more clear (lesson learned), but there is a button that can be used to skip the update (Skip This Version), plus a way to disable update checking completely, if you'd like to do so.

Thanks for recognizing and owning the issue that clearly upset a number of people. I have yet to upgrade myself, as I found myself not using iStat 3 nearly as often as I thought I would.

I think we all appreciate your time spent addressing folks' concerns.

DT39
Dec 14, 2012, 10:32 AM
I love istat 3 it's great a few bit are not right but still very good. I had the upgrade notification pop up so upgraded to 14 day trial of version 4 it only lasted about a hour on my 15 rMBP dont like the look and i get constant read & write to ssd with it installed!:eek:

Big let down that you have to pay for a upgrade that has so many reported bugs seems more like a pay for beta! I paid $19.20 in August for Version 3 and now they want another $9 to upgrade, no thanks i will stick with version 3!

Bjango
Dec 16, 2012, 12:00 AM
constant read & write to ssd with it installed!:eek:

That's the history being saved to disk.

I paid $19.20 in August for Version 3 and now they want another $9 to upgrade, no thanks i will stick with version 3!

Thank you for buying iStat Menus 3. We're going to keep improving iStat Menus 4, so maybe at some point you'll give it another try. iStat Menus 4.03 should address the last few known issues, so we can get back to adding features.

mag01
Dec 16, 2012, 01:24 PM
That's the history being saved to disk.But we don't want such writes with SSD disks. The less writes the better.

leandrofgj
Dec 16, 2012, 04:41 PM
But we don't want such writes with SSD disks. The less writes the better.

Exactly! I tested and I get approx. 1 GB of writes for 10 hours of running. Due to the nature of SSDs, while the system writes 1 GB the drive is writing much more on the flash disk:

"Write amplification ensures that while my OS may be writing 7GB per day to my drive, the drive itself is writing more than 7GB to its flash. Remember, writing to a full block will require a read-modify-write. Worst case scenario, I go to write 4KB and my SSD controller has to read 512KB, modify 4KB, write 512KB and erase a whole block. While I should’ve only taken up one write cycle for 2048 MLC NAND flash cells, I will have instead knocked off a single write cycle for 262,144 cells."
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2829/6

Sorry but I won't be using version 4 with historic. This might be useful for some users but not for me. Maybe you could leave this as an option.

Robsta2142
Dec 16, 2012, 05:41 PM
Not sure if anyone else is experiencing this, but since installing the new version, the menus all keep freezing, including the normal OS clock.

Badagri
Dec 16, 2012, 09:21 PM
So Bjango is still iSlayer just under a new name? same developers and all?

razmarino
Dec 17, 2012, 02:06 AM
Maybe you could leave this as an option.
+++ for this

Bjango
Dec 17, 2012, 06:34 PM
Not sure if anyone else is experiencing this, but since installing the new version, the menus all keep freezing, including the normal OS clock.

We just released iStat Menus 4.03, which fixes that issue. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new update. Clicking Check For Updates should give you the new version.

Here's what's new:
http://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/versionhistory/

So Bjango is still iSlayer just under a new name? same developers and all?

Yep, we just changed names.

Maybe you could leave this as an option.

We'll definitely consider it.

louis.b
Dec 18, 2012, 04:10 AM
So I brought my Macbook Pro to the Apple Genius bar for repair today and out of all the issues I had was the battery health. According to the iStat menu my battery health is down to 89% after less than 6 months. When I notified the Genius guy he dismissed the app saying it "means nothing" since it's a third party app. I was speechless.

Raunien
Dec 18, 2012, 11:58 AM
There is a major bug with 2012 classic MBP's where setting the fan speed to a preset doesn't change numbers on the bar (where you can drag to set value).

Also when you put the computer to sleep and wake, the number gets reset to default.

Please fix this

benthewraith
Dec 18, 2012, 10:55 PM
So I brought my Macbook Pro to the Apple Genius bar for repair today and out of all the issues I had was the battery health. According to the iStat menu my battery health is down to 89% after less than 6 months. When I notified the Genius guy he dismissed the app saying it "means nothing" since it's a third party app. I was speechless.

Depending on how you're using the battery, that may or may not be a sign of bad battery. If you're charging it and running it down everyday. Still, he should have at least tested the battery with the tools provided rather than dismiss it outright.

Bjango
Dec 19, 2012, 12:54 AM

“Battery Health” is simply a comparison between the advertised capacity and reported capacity by OS X. Maybe if you mention it like that they may have a harder time of shooting you down?

System profiler will give you some of the info. I think “Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 6262” shows you the current full capacity for the battery, so you'd have to find a source from Apple for the manufacturer's potential and you could give them the health using their own tools. (Please note that I'm the designer on the project, which is why I said “I think”.)

There is a major bug with 2012 classic MBP's where setting the fan speed to a preset doesn't change numbers on the bar (where you can drag to set value).

Also when you put the computer to sleep and wake, the number gets reset to default.
Thanks. Fan settings not sticking sometimes on wake from sleep is something we're looking into.

cvs
Dec 19, 2012, 02:31 AM
We'll definitely consider it.

Hi, also upgraded to new version without knowing this issue.
Yes, please provide an option asap to disable this, no need for the SSD to have this load.

Until then, if there is a workaround by editing the preferences or whatever, can you please provide it?

Bjango
Dec 19, 2012, 07:59 PM
Yes, please provide an option asap to disable this, no need for the SSD to have this load.

Until then, if there is a workaround by editing the preferences or whatever, can you please provide it?

There's no current workaround but we're looking into ways to make it better.

Concorde Rules
Dec 20, 2012, 06:27 AM
There's no current workaround but we're looking into ways to make it better.

Cache data for writes every 1/5/10/30/60 minutes?

GIZBUG
Dec 20, 2012, 06:46 PM
4.03 out now I see?

18 December 2012
Fixed an issue where items wouldn’t update.
Improved download & upload order to be more consistent in the Combined item.
Improved selected state for menubar icons.
Improved some menubar icons.
Fixed an issue where where the world clocks list didn’t display correctly.
Fixed an issue with processes not displaying.

Badagri
Dec 21, 2012, 12:29 PM
What was the reason for the widgets being discontinued? or was there one? I can only assume it's because of the term "apps"? since widgets don't make money.

Even when it was under the name iSlayer I was kind of disappointed since I keep my menu bar cluttered free of unnecessary menu items. Diehard dashboard user, sadly.

stevelam
Dec 26, 2012, 09:02 PM
bought istat 3 not too long ago and was completely fine with it on my rmbp. upgraded to istat 4 to support the devs. thanks!

one comment: i think theres an overusage of gradients in this version. I definitely prefer a much more minimal look to it. for example im definitely not a fan of those blue gradient bars.

Bjango
Dec 30, 2012, 11:00 PM
What was the reason for the widgets being discontinued? or was there one? I can only assume it's because of the term "apps"? since widgets don't make money.

There's many reasons. Apple seem to not consider widgets as first class Mac software — widgets can't be sold on the Mac App Store. Dashboard has also been moved around a bit and it seems possible that it will go away in the next major OS X update or so. It's a shame, but that seems like the reality.

And yep, we had lots of downloads of iStat Pro, plus it ended up taking a huge amount of effort to maintain. The hosting alone was costing us a small fortune.

We love that so many people used the widget, but something had to give eventually.

Even when it was under the name iSlayer I was kind of disappointed since I keep my menu bar cluttered free of unnecessary menu items. Diehard dashboard user, sadly.

iStat Menus has a feature to combine many menus into one. So if you use iStat Menus for your clock, then you don't need to sacrifice any menubar space. :)

bought istat 3 not too long ago and was completely fine with it on my rmbp. upgraded to istat 4 to support the devs. thanks!

Thank you. We really appreciate it. I hope the new Retina graphics in iStat Menus 4 look nice on your Retina MacBook Pro.

one comment: i think theres an overusage of gradients in this version. I definitely prefer a much more minimal look to it. for example im definitely not a fan of those blue gradient bars.
Ok. Thanks for the feedback. We'll definitely keep tweaking things as iStat Menus 4 updates roll out.

wharzhee
Dec 30, 2012, 11:18 PM
It would be nice if this is available on the Mac App Store

Blaine
Dec 31, 2012, 02:50 AM

I definitely agree :)

JoelBC
Dec 31, 2012, 07:10 AM
I suppose that I am in the minority as I much prefer the widget as I find that I do not need the iStat information on a regular basis but when I do need it I like to have it available.

I suppose that this could be addressed by the ability to close / open the application without having to turn the slider / toggle for each item off / on...any thoughts of adding this?

I would also like to see simplified information options.

Thanks,

Joel

benthewraith
Dec 31, 2012, 08:13 AM

I don't think it can be because of sandboxing issues.

wharzhee
Dec 31, 2012, 08:23 AM

oo. thanks for the insight.

Bjango
Jan 1, 2013, 07:06 AM

Yeah, sandboxing, private APIs for the menu items (we use the kind that can be reordered and positioned just to the left of the Spotlight icon), plus many, many other reasons. iStat Menus would be totally different and worse if it was on the Mac App Store. That's fine and Apple have very good reasons for their guidelines, but it means we have to exist via web download only.

I suppose that this could be addressed by the ability to close / open the application without having to turn the slider / toggle for each item off / on...any thoughts of adding this?

We have a way to combine many things under one menubar item, saving lots of space, but keeping quick access to all the stats you might want. Does that sound like what you're after?

http://i.imgur.com/z5j7m.png

I would also like to see simplified information options.

Many of the dropdown menus can have sections disabled or things combined to save space or simplify how things are show. There's quite a lot shown in iStat Menus and there's quite a few options... we try to keep things as streamlined as possible, but most people use iStat Menus because they want to see what's going on. It's a balancing act — we want to show as much as possible without going overboard.

JoelBC
Jan 1, 2013, 09:44 AM
We have a way to combine many things under one menubar item, saving lots of space, but keeping quick access to all the stats you might want. Does that sound like what you're after?

Image (http://i.imgur.com/z5j7m.png)

Many of the dropdown menus can have sections disabled or things combined to save space or simplify how things are show. There's quite a lot shown in iStat Menus and there's quite a few options... we try to keep things as streamlined as possible, but most people use iStat Menus because they want to see what's going on. It's a balancing act — we want to show as much as possible without going overboard.

Bjango:

Appreciate the response and apologize for not spending more time on configuring the application...that said, would you be so kind as to PM me or post how to simply the information and look as posted herein to get me started so that I can / will try iStat 4 once again.

With much thanks,

Joel

Ledgem
Jan 1, 2013, 10:11 AM
I feel similarly. iStat has a "combined" option to reduce menubar clutter, but I don't use it. Instead, I use Bartender (http://www.macbartender.com) (which anyone who hates menubar clutter would probably appreciate). It basically acts as a second menubar that you can bring up and dismiss by a click or hotkey, and you can choose what goes into that secondary menu bar. In my case, I have two "critical" iStat Menu items in my primary bar, and almost everything else is loaded into the Bartender bar (along with a host of other application icons that take up space on the menubar). I can highly recommend it.

There's many reasons. Apple seem to not consider widgets as first class Mac software — widgets can't be sold on the Mac App Store. Dashboard has also been moved around a bit and it seems possible that it will go away in the next major OS X update or so. It's a shame, but that seems like the reality.
I still use the Dashboard for weather and occasionally for iStat (out of habit), but it does seem like it's getting neglected. Perhaps most telling is Apple's change in keyboard layouts, where the F4 key on newer computers activates Launchpad (and has a new icon) instead of Dashboard.

Blaine
Jan 1, 2013, 08:25 PM
Any way to turn off individual things in the drop down menus?

For example, I use everything combined into one icon on the menu bar. When I hover over the temperatures, I don't need 90% of all the temps that are shown. How can I pick which information is shown, so that I can hide unneeded info.

Bjango
Jan 2, 2013, 04:32 AM
would you be so kind as to PM me or post how to simply the information and look as posted herein to get me started so that I can / will try iStat 4 once again.

Sure. Which info do you want to hide? iStat Menus is a big app that shows a lot of info! Not everything can be hidden, but where sensible we try to provide options to do so.

There are some situations where we do need to find smart ways to add the ability to hide some things though — please see below for one such example.

When I hover over the temperatures, I don't need 90% of all the temps that are shown. How can I pick which information is shown, so that I can hide unneeded info.

That's not currently possible in iStat Menus 4, unfortunately. If we can think of a smart way to add it, we will.

Perhaps most telling is Apple's change in keyboard layouts, where the F4 key on newer computers activates Launchpad (and has a new icon) instead of Dashboard.

Yeah, it seems like a clear indication of the future of OS X and Dashboard.

JoelBC
Jan 2, 2013, 05:46 AM
Sure. Which info do you want to hide? iStat Menus is a big app that shows a lot of info! Not everything can be hidden, but where sensible we try to provide options to do so.

There are some situations where we do need to find smart ways to add the ability to hide some things though — please see below for one such example.

Let's start with a look / layout similar to that shown in *POST 142" of this thread which I can / will expand on from there...

I - like Blaine - i) do not need the amount of detail on a daily / regular basis but ii) do want the ability to dig down when necessary [i.e. something is not working properly].

Thanks,

Joel

TouchArchive
Jan 2, 2013, 05:52 AM

I definitely agree :)

Let's start with a look / layout similar to that shown in *POST 142" of this thread which I can / will expend on from there...

I - like Blaine - i) do not need the amount of detail on a daily / regular basis but ii) do want the ability to dig down when necessary [i.e. something is not working properly].

Thanks,

Joel

Not chance to see on Mac App Store,Apple not agree to make changes

Gaelic2
Jan 2, 2013, 05:38 PM

I have a new iMac 21.5 and moved iStatPro over from my older Mac, an early 2009 24" model. It is still working well. I see no need to buy one when this one (free) still does the job.

Concorde Rules
Jan 3, 2013, 11:56 AM
Sad to say but I've gone back to 3 and my what a relief.

Sorry but 4 needs some work to bring it up to what 3 was at :(

I'll keep 4 on my MBP for the moment tho

Lil Chillbil
Jan 3, 2013, 09:08 PM
Pretty cool :cool:

Bjango
Jan 5, 2013, 05:14 PM
I have a new iMac 21.5 and moved iStatPro over from my older Mac, an early 2009 24" model. It is still working well. I see no need to buy one when this one (free) still does the job.

We're totally fine with that! Please do keep using iStat Pro, iStat Nano (another widget we made) or iStat Menus 3 for as long as you like! We'll do what we can to entice you to use iStat Menus 4 by continuing to make it more awesome each update. :cool:

Sad to say but I've gone back to 3 and my what a relief.

Sorry but 4 needs some work to bring it up to what 3 was at :(
Which parts specifically don't you like about iStat Menus 4?

Concorde Rules
Jan 7, 2013, 10:29 AM
All my above changes for a kick off.

The fact you can't change network bandwidth to stacked lines and that it shows every network connection, not just the ones in use.

The history graphs are IMO pointless, I'd like the option to specify myself the graphs.

I'd choose something like, 5 mins, 1 hour, 1 day with peak values rather than averages, because seeing an average of 0 is pointless.

Ability to disable sensors on my Mac Pro and the missing sensors on my MBP.

Add rpm back to the sensors display.

Bottom line is 3 had more user customisation options and for me to pay to upgrade these would need to come back.

Wrightpd
Jan 21, 2013, 01:33 PM
hi, I have have macbook pro 13" 2012, when i upgraded to istats menu 4 i lost the ability to control the fan speeds and also the top 5 processes under men/cpu are missing as are the top 5 bandwidth users under networks. Is this a common problem (i think it only happened after upgrading to 4.03 but could be wrong), have gone back to version 3 and all working again, its a shame as i like verison 4

Paul

sbarton
Jan 30, 2013, 09:07 AM
I just installed upgraded to v4. Why can I not hide sensors anymore? Didn't version 3 allow that? I don't need to see 98% of the crap in the CPU and Memory drop downs and I'd like to be able to turn it off.

milo
Feb 25, 2013, 01:20 PM
4.04 out.

Fixed issue with the wrong GPU being shown as active.
Fixed issue with calendar incorrectly showing some days as being in the next month.
Fixed issue with VPN connections causing incorrect bandwidth reading in the menubar.
Fixed several issues with fan control settings not being applied in some conditions.
Fixed menubar layout issue with used/free mode in Disks.
Fixed layout issue with CPU history graphs in menubar in some situations.
Fixed issue in Time where the hour could be displayed wrong with some configurations.
Fixed issue with A/P display in world clocks.
Fixed issue with corrupt history databases.
Reduced disk write frequency of history databases.

Mr. McMac
Feb 25, 2013, 01:35 PM
Thanks!

mjsmke
Feb 25, 2013, 04:47 PM
Im a little worried about this... Hopefully its just an error. I just upgraded to iStat 4 and my PCI temps are showing as 129C! But my CPU B (which i dont have - quad core Mac Pro) is also showing as 129C. So is this just the default temp when there is no reading?

I have attached a screen shot of my temps if that helps.

Ledgem
Feb 25, 2013, 05:16 PM
Im a little worried about this... Hopefully its just an error. I just upgraded to iStat 4 and my PCI temps are showing as 129C! But my CPU B (which i dont have - quad core Mac Pro) is also showing as 129C. So is this just the default temp when there is no reading?

I have attached a screen shot of my temps if that helps.
Re-check your settings, I think iStat 4 switches over to Fahrenheit by default. Set it back to Celsius.

Edit: probably not your issue, after looking over your other temperatures...

mjsmke
Feb 25, 2013, 05:37 PM
Thank for the fast reply. It's definitely on Celsius.

Im wondering if it is the default reading when there is no reading available. It says my CPU B is 129C too but i dont have a CPU B. :confused:

My GPU doesnt feel hot at all.

Dc2006ster
Feb 26, 2013, 09:20 AM
I think you may be right about that default setting. When I upgraded the CPUs in my Mac Pro I forgot to connect the sensors on heatsink B and Temp monitor showed 129deg C from that sensor.

mjsmke
Feb 26, 2013, 03:42 PM
It must be an error with iStat then. Hopefully they will fix this in their next update.

Mr. McMac
Feb 26, 2013, 04:12 PM
Checked the temps on my 2007 1.83ghz mini. They look normal. I'll check my 2009 iMac and 2011 mini later tonight when I have a chance

justperry
Feb 27, 2013, 03:24 AM
Not really that good, had lots of probs with new Mini, the culprit was iStatMenus.

"Beware" , iStatMenus 4(.0.2) (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16908077#post16908077)

tomjleeds
Feb 27, 2013, 03:59 AM
It must be an error with iStat then. Hopefully they will fix this in their next update.

This is normal behaviour with other temperature-monitoring applications so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Bjango
Feb 27, 2013, 04:27 AM

Does your Mac Pro has one physical CPU with four cores? (There's different models... some have two cores per chip and two chips, so I'm just checking!)

Can you please choose Stats → Send Log Files so we can try to figure out what’s causing the issue? Thanks.

Not really that good, had lots of probs with new Mini, the culprit was iStatMenus.

"Beware" , iStatMenus 4(.0.2) (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16908077#post16908077)

For anyone interested, please read this thread (there's a few replies now!).

This is normal behaviour with other temperature-monitoring applications so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

We'll do what we can. We try our best to buy or get access to as much hardware as possible for testing, so issues like this can often be solved.

mjsmke
Feb 27, 2013, 05:58 AM
Does your Mac Pro has one physical CPU with four cores? (There's different models... some have two cores per chip and two chips, so I'm just checking!)

Can you please choose Stats → Send Log Files so we can try to figure out what’s causing the issue? Thanks.

We'll do what we can. We try our best to buy or get access to as much hardware as possible for testing, so issues like this can often be solved.

Thanks Bjango,

I'll make sure it's set to send the log files tonight. And yes, its a single CPU system with 4 physical cores.

Mr. McMac
Feb 27, 2013, 08:37 AM
I updated to the latest version on both my 2007 and 2011 base mac mini's. The temps basically match the older version, and well within spec on both, so no problem so far. Still have to do my 2009 iMac

vbob
Mar 2, 2013, 02:28 PM
I want back please two old features.

1. The ability to see all CPU cores together like before version 4. (I mean without the need to hover over "User, system, nice, idle" section (less mouse moves)
2. The ability to see the Wattage of the machine on the sensors (like in previous versions before version 4).

bingeciren
Mar 28, 2013, 12:20 PM
After converting my Mac Mini to DIY Fusion Drive, I wanted to take a close look at what the individual drives were doing. I have the the iStat Menus V3.27 but V4 has the the ability to view the history of activity, which is nice because I want to monitor the "behind the curtains & after hours" activity of the SSD and the HDD. So, I downloaded the trial version and started to experiment. This also gave me an opportunity to see the differences between V3 and V4 of the iStat Menus. In some ways, I find V3 is better than V4. Yes, V4 gives more information on certain areas but V3 still presents information in a more concise and uncluttered way compared to V4. Will I upgrade? I'm not so sure, but if I decide to do so, I may do it not because I find V4 is better or preferable to V3 but just to support the developers. By the way, none of my Macs have a retina display so, V4's retina support is not a concern for me. Another different aspect is the availability of iStat Menus in the Appstore. Bjango's licensing states that it is for one copy for one Mac unless you buy a family pack. However, when you buy a program from the Appstore, you can use it on any of your Macs that you own and control. I have 5 Macs in my house and because of this alone, I prefer to buy my software from the Appstore.

tekboi
Mar 29, 2013, 02:36 AM
I bought it with the MU bundle. Absolutely love it. It's really nice to know that i'm hardly even using my cpu most of the time on my iMac :cool:

fridolin85
Mar 29, 2013, 12:57 PM
Love the iStat Menus app, but I am a network consultant and one thing that has always bothered me since v3 is that the network bandwidth only shows in Bytes, not Bits. Nobody really uses Bytes/s in networking so I have to constantly multiply by 8 in my head when looking at those values. It would be nice to have an option to pick between Bits or Bytes, like I recall existed in earlier versions of the app. Thanks!

bingeciren
Sep 30, 2013, 03:48 PM
We're totally fine with that! Please do keep using iStat Pro, iStat Nano (another widget we made) or iStat Menus 3 for as long as you like! We'll do what we can to entice you to use iStat Menus 4 by continuing to make it more awesome each update. :cool:

Which parts specifically don't you like about iStat Menus 4?

1) Custom colors do not apply to the pull down menus. However, it used to on version 3 and I see no reason why it shouldn't on version 4.

2) In your website, under the known issues, GPU shows 100% memory usage, you state that the problem is a driver issue and you cannot do anything about it. Yet I run istat menus 3.27 under OS X 10.8.5 and under 10.9 developers preview 8 with no such problem. However on both versions of OS X, istat menus 4 shows 100% GPU. So it appears that the problem is not caused by the drivers of the OS X but it originates from the istat menus 4. If version 3 works on all versions of OS X with no problem, you should be able to correct this bug in version 4.

3) Your pull down menus are too big and occupies too much of the screen. Version 3 was neater.

4) Calendar view was better on version 3 and I don't particularly care about the calendar appointments being shown in version 4.

Version 3 was already excellent and sometimes it is hard to improve on the original without spoiling it.

numlock
Oct 1, 2013, 06:42 AM
1) Custom colors do not apply to the pull down menus. However, it used to on version 3 and I see no reason why it shouldn't on version 4.

2) In your website, under the known issues, GPU shows 100% memory usage, you state that the problem is a driver issue and you cannot do anything about it. Yet I run istat menus 3.27 under OS X 10.8.5 and under 10.9 developers preview 8 with no such problem. However on both versions of OS X, istat menus 4 shows 100% GPU. So it appears that the problem is not caused by the drivers of the OS X but it originates from the istat menus 4. If version 3 works on all versions of OS X with no problem, you should be able to correct this bug in version 4.

3) Your pull down menus are too big and occupies too much of the screen. Version 3 was neater.

4) Calendar view was better on version 3 and I don't particularly care about the calendar appointments being shown in version 4.

Version 3 was already excellent and sometimes it is hard to improve on the original without spoiling it.

i am coming from version 2 and trying the demo and i find the new look to be more clunky and less elegant. the calendar view is worse.

what was the reason to move from system prefs to an app?

there are lots of new features that make this a better version but the to me the app itself and its settings seem uninviting and un-mac like.

i would rather have the old look with all the new features with more customizability as mentioned above

bingeciren
Oct 9, 2013, 08:38 AM
i am coming from version 2 and trying the demo and i find the new look to be more clunky and less elegant. the calendar view is worse.

what was the reason to move from system prefs to an app?

there are lots of new features that make this a better version but the to me the app itself and its settings seem uninviting and un-mac like.

i would rather have the old look with all the new features with more customizability as mentioned above

I like to keep vital statistics on the menu bar so that I can monitor resource usage while programs are executing in the foreground. I monitor the disk activity, network activity and the CPU temp/fan speed most of the time. This is why I prefer the menu bar version to the system prefs.

opinio
Oct 9, 2013, 05:38 PM
I like to keep vital statistics on the menu bar so that I can monitor resource usage while programs are executing in the foreground. I monitor the disk activity, network activity and the CPU temp/fan speed most of the time. This is why I prefer the menu bar version to the system prefs.

Agreed. Menu bar works so well. But it can drive OCD on temps if you are obsessed in that area.