Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A4orce84

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
Hello Everyone,

Had a quick question about the login screen on OSX Mountain Lion. I have multiple users who use my home computer, but was curious if there was a way to default to a primary account?

And if there needs to be a change in who logs-in, that is possible easily with the option arrow, but I want it to default to a primary account / username that usually uses the computer.

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance everyone, all your time and help it is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

--Asif

macfan46

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2012
This is easy!

Open system prefrences and click users and groups

Click the lock and type a Administraitors username and password

Click Auto Login and Change it to your user.

Type in your password, and then lock the lock

Close System Preferences and reboot. You should be automatically put in to your user.

A4orce84

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
This automatically logs me in though correct? I don't want to do that, I just want my username to be pre-selected out of all the usernames available.

I still want to be able to enter a password to actually log-into my account! =)

prisstratton

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Hello Everyone,

Had a quick question about the login screen on OSX Mountain Lion. I have multiple users who use my home computer, but was curious if there was a way to default to a primary account?

And if there needs to be a change in who logs-in, that is possible easily with the option arrow, but I want it to default to a primary account / username that usually uses the computer.

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance everyone, all your time and help it is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

--Asif

Found this article:

http://www.macyourself.com/2009/03/08/mac-login-window-tricks-part-3-hide-certain-user-accounts/

It comes close to doing what you want......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.