PDA

View Full Version : Host Name question...

SRLMJ23
Nov 29, 2012, 11:47 PM
I am just curious how I put a Host Name on my Macbook Air so when I log into my Ubee Modem/Wireless Router I know which IP address is going to which device.

I know I could just look up the IP of my Macbook and do it that way but I'd prefer to just have it show up with a name. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

PS: How would I do this on a iPhone/iPad?

Watabou
Nov 30, 2012, 12:01 AM
On the Mac, open up System Preferences and click Sharing. Once there, enter in the Computer Name.

On an iOS device, just right click the device in iTunes and rename it. Sync to save changes.

Stooby Mcdoobie
Nov 30, 2012, 12:02 AM
For your Mac, open Terminal and enter the following (press return at the end of the line):

scutil --set HostName desiredname

You will be prompted for your password for the change to take place after you press return.

I'm not sure about your iPhone/iPad. My router shows my iDevices by their name (found under Settings -> General -> About) without any interaction from me.

SRLMJ23
Nov 30, 2012, 12:07 AM
It's very strange. When I am in my modem/router and go to "Client List" which displays everything on the Network but under Hostname it's just blank, however, my Windows Machine does show up with a hostname...weird!

Stooby Mcdoobie
Nov 30, 2012, 12:12 AM
You may need to reboot your Mac for the change to show up on your router.

amielDH
Mar 28, 2013, 05:44 PM
I'm also having the same problem. Even after reboot the device's name is still blank. I'm using a Mac mini. :(