PDA

View Full Version : Would iTunes 11 be the tip of the veil

pineapple216
Nov 30, 2012, 01:14 AM
With the recent management changes at Apple and iTunes 11 having a very different design from previous versions, I wonder: Would this be the tip of the veil when it comes to the new design of OS X Software?

The new iTunes is designed more sober and the much "loved" skeuomorphism is gone. Do you think more OS X apps will be redesigned like this?

Let me know what you think!

Cougarcat
Nov 30, 2012, 01:25 AM
Yep. John Gruber noted in his MBP review that Helvetica Neue is better for retina displays than Lucida Grande, which was designed to look good with antialiasing.

I think 10.9 will have Helvetica everywhere, color in the sidebars, and more popovers. Yum.

robgendreau
Nov 30, 2012, 12:29 PM
Yeah, they fired the dude responsible for the leatherette in Address Book and whatnot that made it look like freeware for Windows 3.

Somebody over there has to do a major overhaul of the Finder. I just don't think they think differently enough anymore to try something bold. iOS? Sheesh.

Arran
Nov 30, 2012, 12:52 PM
...The new iTunes is designed more sober and the much "loved" skeuomorphism is gone...

Arguably, on a default install, the useful skeuomorphism is more prominent. The album artwork resembles a table full of CDs and the user is encouraged to play the entire 'CD' in the simplest and fastest way possible (double click). It's a bit like listening to a real CD: Put it on and forget it for an hour.

I think this simplification is aimed at your average consumer. People who don't want to faff with a computer just to get music.

32KFJ
Nov 30, 2012, 04:38 PM
With the recent management changes at Apple and iTunes 11 having a very different design from previous versions, I wonder: Would this be the tip of the veil when it comes to the new design of OS X Software?

The new iTunes is designed more sober and the much "loved" skeuomorphism is gone. Do you think more OS X apps will be redesigned like this?

Let me know what you think!

i hope so...and i think also that the year 2013 will be very important to apple and the new managament :)

Ddyracer
Nov 30, 2012, 09:26 PM
Yep. John Gruber noted in his MBP review that Helvetica Neue is better for retina displays than Lucida Grande, which was designed to look good with antialiasing.

I think 10.9 will have Helvetica everywhere, color in the sidebars, and more popovers. Yum.

I love the new font. Makes my iMac look retina when im using iTunes. I wonder if apple will be bringing back color system wide since itunes has it back now. Lets hope so.

iLog.Genius
Nov 30, 2012, 10:44 PM
Have to admit, although it isn't a huge difference, iTunes 11 makes the rest of OS X look outdated with it's flat grey toolbar/windows. Hopefully this is a preview of what OS X could be in the future.

El Awesome
Dec 1, 2012, 07:20 AM
I very much regret that I just downloaded iTunes 11. It's horrible.
It looks like crap and is just a bigger version of the iOS iTunes.
Piece of crap.

Edit: I'm slowly starting to like the new iTunes - especially the mini player.

Tar Sniffer
Dec 7, 2012, 05:42 AM
A redesign like this?

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y395/TarSniffer/finder.jpg

nyolc8
Dec 7, 2012, 06:14 AM
A redesign like this?

IMG

Hope not... that looks really bad.

Tar Sniffer
Dec 7, 2012, 06:33 AM
Hope not... that looks really bad.

I agree, but I read an article recently that suggested the finder in OS X 10.9 could embrace the style of iTunes 11. This is just my mock up of what that could look like (and I hope it never happens!).

cmChimera
Dec 7, 2012, 07:44 AM
A redesign like this?

Image (http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y395/TarSniffer/finder.jpg)

Instead of starting your image with finder and making it look like iTunes, start with iTunes and make it look like finder.