Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 28, 2002
downtown
Does anyone have experience filiming with a vintage video camera? I've thought about doing it for a while but after seeing this thread it's got me wanting to buy an old camera off ebay to record in the lower quality formats. Even an old super8 camera might be the way to go.. but honestly I don't know much about the old things.

Can I still buy film(tapes?) for a super8 camera? Is there something older, that will film in nice gawdy color, that anyone has used?

I'd like to obviously bridge it into my pc and edit it with Premier.. adding a higher quality, separately recorded audio track... but I know nothing about this. I've got a sony digital8 that'll read 8mm tapes... are they they same?

Has anyone attempted something similar... or provide me with information about such devices?

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
You want to shoot 8mm film, not 8mm video.

Just buy a Super8 film camera and Super8 film. You may or may not be able to get that "wonder years" look right out of the camera as I don't know how film stocks today look compared to film stocks of 40 years ago. The expensive part, though, is getting the film developed and xfered to tape so you can digitize it into your Mac.

Lethal

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
If you do this, don't wait too long. They stopped making Super 8 Kodachrome (that's the gaudy stuff you want) a few months ago, so whatever sellers have in stock now is it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.