PDA

View Full Version : iTunes 11 for PPC?

keremtezcan
Nov 30, 2012, 01:45 AM
Is there iTunes 11 for PowerPC Macs?

Starfighter
Nov 30, 2012, 02:24 AM
As of now I would say plain no. But I don't know what skilled people can do, maybe there is some workaround in the future.

I use the iTunes 11-skin on an older iTunes in my PPC-based computers, maybe that is an option if you just want the visual update? :)

Jethryn Freyman
Nov 30, 2012, 06:17 AM
No, and NO.

iTunes 11 is a major update. PPC Macs didn't even get 10.7.

SkyBell
Nov 30, 2012, 06:36 AM
If someone wanted badly enough to make it so, it could happen. But I doubt anybody has that kind of skill, time and resource to put it all together. Unfortunately, we've been left in the dust.

76ShovelHead
Nov 30, 2012, 06:41 AM
If someone wanted badly enough to make it so, it could happen. But I doubt anybody has that kind of skill, time and resource to put it all together. Unfortunately, we've been left in the dust.

I'm not even upgrading to it on my intel :cool:

Would've been interesting none the less to see how it ran on the old eMac.

eyoungren
Nov 30, 2012, 06:57 AM
I upgraded to it on my PC last night. Personally, it irritated me right from the start. I can't seem to change the view of my library from anything other than "album." Maybe sometime with it will show me where to change things, but for right now I don't care for it.

The update does come with an optional iCloud Control Panel. That's interesting. It doesn't do much except merge some data on to your PC like contacts and photos. Overall, I'm not impreseed.

And no, it doesn't run on PowerPC as has been stated. Just because I like to flip Apple the bird over that I usually download this stuff and see how far I can get anyway. The installer will run, but you'll be told you can't install.

There is a smaller app in the DMG that has more information about iTunes 11. It won't run on PowerPC, but if you open the package and poke around you find out that it's just a glorified viewer for a rich text file that actually displays the information.

The actual iTunes app is in a package so I don't see where you couldn't get elements out using Pacifist if you really wanted to.

keremtezcan
Nov 30, 2012, 11:35 AM
Is there a good skin that I can use?

MisterKeeks
Nov 30, 2012, 04:48 PM
Even if someone had the time or money, it still wouldn't happen. They can't access the source, and it wouldn't connect to Apple's iTunes servers.

skateny
Nov 30, 2012, 04:50 PM
Is there iTunes 11 for PowerPC Macs?

I'm surprised this thread has any legs.

We usually need to thrash about in hardware and software junkyards just to get our Macs to function well.:rolleyes:

keremtezcan
Nov 30, 2012, 05:39 PM
But is there a skin?

ChrisMan287
Nov 30, 2012, 05:42 PM
**** iTunes 11.

keremtezcan
Nov 30, 2012, 05:46 PM
**** iTunes 11.

What do you mean?

MisterKeeks
Nov 30, 2012, 05:50 PM
AQUADock's theme might have it for Leopard...

Jessica Lares
Nov 30, 2012, 06:04 PM
First, you need to think about iTunes in general...

iTunes 11 has changed A LOT of things. Heck, they built it from the ground up pretty much. Everything from the What's Playing little box at the top, to how things work.

Next, you need to know how skinning works...

When people skin things, whether it be iOS, OS X, or apps, they are limited to what's there. In this case, we are only limited to the resources in the last supported iTunes on PowerPCs.

Pretty much what I'm saying is that even if someone does go in and try and theme iTunes 10 to match 11, there are going to be many, many, many differences.

And skinning doesn't take overnight tweaking, it takes a good while to do it right.

So calm down, sit back, and relax. I'm sure someone is thinking about doing it, but it is waaaayyy too soon.

BitterCreek
Dec 1, 2012, 02:07 PM
Not going to happen.

abbotkinneydude
Dec 1, 2012, 06:58 PM
Installed it on my Black Book and it's just ok. The PPC world is not missing much with this one (actually, 11 feels more dumbed down than previous versions; almost as if it's all about simplification).

jbarley
Dec 1, 2012, 08:36 PM
11 feels more dumbed down than previous versions; almost as if it's all about simplification).
You hit the nail right on the head, the old KISS theory, it's all about simplification, this is the new audience Apple is trying to gain, and from all outward signs is being very successful at doing so.

76ShovelHead
Dec 2, 2012, 06:24 AM
You hit the nail right on the head, the old KISS theory, it's all about simplification, this is the new audience Apple is trying to gain, and from all outward signs is being very successful at doing so.

Apple has been playing the 'simple' card for as long as I can remember. It's only recently they've made some crippling changes, especially in the pro market with Final Cut X. It used to be that they released a pro version along with a consumer version (Final Cut; Final Cut Express and iMovie). It seems like they're abandoning that model now for unification among all products.

Starfighter
Dec 3, 2012, 04:35 PM
The single most useful change that I thought everyone missed as badly as me (obviously I was wrong...?) is that there now is a proper queue function. It's even better than the one in Spotify.

As for the skin; there is one in AQUADock's theme as MisterKeeks said.

Starfighter
Dec 4, 2012, 03:30 AM
I can't seem to change the view of my library from anything other than "album."

Press "Tracks" (or is it "Songs" in the english version?). :)

http://s19.postimage.org/akjv8lvrn/Sk_rmklipp.png

mentaluproar
Dec 4, 2012, 04:14 AM
I can't seem to change the view of my library from anything other than "album."

Look at the top...

eyoungren
Dec 4, 2012, 07:14 AM
Look at the top...
Thanks!

----------

Press "Tracks" (or is it "Songs" in the english version?). :)

http://s19.postimage.org/akjv8lvrn/Sk_rmklipp.png
Thank you!

keremtezcan
Dec 4, 2012, 11:15 AM
Where do I get it?

MisterKeeks
Dec 4, 2012, 07:24 PM
Where do I get it?

The theme- it's in a thread called something like AQUADock theme for ...
in the PowerPC section of the forums.

Edit: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1410493

keremtezcan
Dec 6, 2012, 12:19 PM
Ok thanks!

lurice0
Sep 21, 2013, 03:31 PM
my friend has iphone5 with new digital charge cable and she used to sync on my power pc but now she has to sync on my dell which means i had to match her playlist over on the dell. Didn't affect me.
Then iOS 7 comes out for the iphone 5s and 5c and i update my iPhone 4 with ios7 and NOW I CANT SYNC with my Power PC either because i need iTunes 11.1 or later and i can't update past 10.6.3 because im on a PPC. So I got PhoneView app for PPC and am using it to put music on my phone but it is kinda wack because you cant sync directly with itunes playlist...you cant even drag & drop music directly to it. You have to drag from iTunes to a folder in finder, and then point PhoneView to that folder... SO IS THERE just a program app that will JUST SYNC MY PLAYLISTS from iTunes to my phone.?
I like keeping my music on my mac and i dont wanna switch the dell i just wanna stick it out until i can replace my ppc with a new mac.
UNLESS - is there a good program that can sync my macs external hd with my dell's external hd every hour or so wirelessly or with wires? Then i would be comfortable syncing my phone with the dell, which has itunes 11. Thanks.

gavinstubbs09
Sep 21, 2013, 03:56 PM
my friend has iphone5 with new digital charge cable and she used to sync on my power pc but now she has to sync on my dell which means i had to match her playlist over on the dell. Didn't affect me.
Then iOS 7 comes out for the iphone 5s and 5c and i update my iPhone 4 with ios7 and NOW I CANT SYNC with my Power PC either because i need iTunes 11.1 or later and i can't update past 10.6.3 because im on a PPC. So I got PhoneView app for PPC and am using it to put music on my phone but it is kinda wack because you cant sync directly with itunes playlist...you cant even drag & drop music directly to it. You have to drag from iTunes to a folder in finder, and then point PhoneView to that folder... SO IS THERE just a program app that will JUST SYNC MY PLAYLISTS from iTunes to my phone.?
I like keeping my music on my mac and i dont wanna switch the dell i just wanna stick it out until i can replace my ppc with a new mac.
UNLESS - is there a good program that can sync my macs external hd with my dell's external hd every hour or so wirelessly or with wires? Then i would be comfortable syncing my phone with the dell, which has itunes 11. Thanks.

I was bummed because iOS7 can't sync with my iPhone 4 I had weeks ago (sold it and bought a Droid Razr) and my G5 was this big storage box that was loaded with music. My iPad mini I just have to sync with either my MBP or MBA. Not what I wanted to do - but I guess it's what I have to do.

cyberghoser1
Sep 21, 2013, 08:14 PM
It would be good to know the limitations with PPC and live with em, thats why I got my PB, and I Love it for what it is, PPC and old fashion Mac, and not iOSX although I use an Intel Mac myself to be up to date.

rabidz7
Sep 21, 2013, 10:51 PM
I was bummed because iOS7 can't sync with my iPhone 4 I had weeks ago (sold it and bought a Droid Razr) and my G5 was this big storage box that was loaded with music. My iPad mini I just have to sync with either my MBP or MBA. Not what I wanted to do - but I guess it's what I have to do.

Try an android. You'll like it.

Goftrey
Sep 22, 2013, 06:26 AM

Try an android. You'll like it.

Can you read?

MrPilot
Sep 22, 2013, 06:46 AM
It would be good to know the limitations with PPC and live with em, thats why I got my PB, and I Love it for what it is, PPC and old fashion Mac, and not iOSX although I use an Intel Mac myself to be up to date.

there is always virtual pc 7 you could try and see how it works

cyberghoser1
Sep 22, 2013, 08:19 AM
there is always virtual pc 7 you could try and see how it works

So far, 10.8.5 works well on Vmware.

gooser
Sep 22, 2013, 08:46 AM
why in the world would you even want to run itunes 11 on a ppc?

MrPilot
Sep 22, 2013, 09:11 AM

on a ppc?

----------

why in the world would you even want to run itunes 11 on a ppc?

I think the newest line of iDevices requires it to fully sync with your mac.

cyberghoser1
Sep 22, 2013, 10:19 AM
on a ppc?

----------

Of course not, on my Desktop. As I already said, ppc has its limitations, i live with 'em.

MrPilot
Sep 22, 2013, 12:03 PM
Of course not, on my Desktop. As I already said, ppc has its limitations, i live with 'em.

Just add next time you're running intel... to avoid confusion here in the powerpc subforum :)
cheers

cyberghoser1
Sep 22, 2013, 03:01 PM
Just add next time you're running intel... to avoid confusion here in the powerpc subforum :)
cheers

Actually I am running both, I don't see where i confused someone, but anyway.

MrPilot
Sep 22, 2013, 03:29 PM

I spent 5 mins looking for that vmware for ppc :P haha

rabidz7
Sep 23, 2013, 05:36 AM

I like emulators.

cyberghoser1
Sep 23, 2013, 09:37 AM
I spent 5 mins looking for that vmware for ppc :P haha

hahaha ;)

I like emulators.

Yeah they are nice toys to play around.

Anonymous Freak
Sep 23, 2013, 10:38 AM

Well, this is a thread in the PowerPC section, about running software on a PowerPC Mac, where someone suggested running Virtual PC 7 (PowerPC-only software,) and you interjected that "So far, 10.8.5 works well on Vmware."

That has nothing to do with PowerPC. Hence the confusion.

cyberghoser1
Sep 23, 2013, 04:24 PM
Well, this is a thread in the PowerPC section, about running software on a PowerPC Mac, where someone suggested running Virtual PC 7 (PowerPC-only software,) and you interjected that "So far, 10.8.5 works well on Vmware."

That has nothing to do with PowerPC. Hence the confusion.

And you happy? :p

Anonymous Freak
Sep 23, 2013, 04:46 PM
And you happy? :p

I am neutral. I am just answering your question.

cyberghoser1
Sep 24, 2013, 08:49 AM
I am neutral. I am just answering your question.

Its ok, lets avoid the off-topic :)

gavinstubbs09
Sep 24, 2013, 12:08 PM
Can you read?

I know :\