Nov 30, 2012, 03:09 AM
While looking for my "Internet Plug-ins", I noticed that there are 2 Libraries
on my hard drive. One was with the other folders on the hard drive. The other
was in the System Folder each having different multiple folders. Is this
normal or should ALL these folders be in the one Library that is in the System
Folder? Thank you.

iBookG4user
Nov 30, 2012, 03:11 AM
It's completely normal, there's nothing to be worried about there.

eyoungren
Nov 30, 2012, 07:09 AM
While looking for my "Internet Plug-ins", I noticed that there are 2 Libraries
on my hard drive. One was with the other folders on the hard drive. The other
was in the System Folder — each having different — multiple folders. Is this
normal or should ALL these folders be in the one Library that is in the System
Folder? Thank you.
Are you an old OS9 user? I ask because you'd be correct if this was OS9.

OSX actually has three Library folders.

Macintosh HD>Library: This contains most of the stuff you install for everyone on the Mac to use. Printers, global preferences, etc. Also has stuff OSX installs.

Macintosh HD>System>Library: Contains the stuff that OSX NEEDS to start and run properly.

Macintosh HD>Users>~username>Library: Contains most of the stuff you install only for your own user account.

Generally you want to leave things where they are. If you think that the Library folder and the one in the System folder should be merged and/or the one in your user folder, you are in for a non-starting world of hurt when you reboot your Mac — should you start moving things around.

donnetrav
Dec 1, 2012, 04:04 AM
Are you an old OS9 user? I ask because you'd be correct if this was OS9.

OSX actually has three Library folders.

Macintosh HD>Library: This contains most of the stuff you install for everyone on the Mac to use. Printers, global preferences, etc. Also has stuff OSX installs.

Macintosh HD>System>Library: Contains the stuff that OSX NEEDS to start and run properly.

Macintosh HD>Users>~username>Library: Contains most of the stuff you install only for your own user account.

Generally you want to leave things where they are. If you think that the Library folder and the one in the System folder should be merged and/or the one in your user folder, you are in for a non-starting world of hurt when you reboot your Mac should you start moving things around.

My Man! Thanks for that BIG INFO.