Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AtmChm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
WI
Specs: G5 2x2 (have also had the same problem in 2x2.7)

OWC SSD 240 GB 3G partitioned in half: one bootable to 10.5.8 the other bootable to 10.4.11

Second drive Hitachi 500 GB 7200 RPM

Boot to 10.5.8 on the SSD

Formatted the Hitachi drive to Apple Partition Map and set as Time machine drive.

Time machine starts and goes fine until 19.45 GB (out of 45 GB to backup) then stalls. I've reformatted the Hitachi drive and started all over, but the same thing happens each time. I've tried this in a 2x2 and 2x2.7 G5 and same thing happens.

Any ideas on what the issue is or how to solve this? I've let time machine run over night, and it still stalls at the same point.

Thanks for any help!

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
Start Console and see what it is reporting.

Could be that it is having trouble reading from the SDD not writing to the time machine drive.
Might want to run a desk utility verify on all drives to be sure of integrity.

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
Specs: G5 2x2 (have also had the same problem in 2x2.7)

OWC SSD 240 GB 3G partitioned in half: one bootable to 10.5.8 the other bootable to 10.4.11

Second drive Hitachi 500 GB 7200 RPM

Boot to 10.5.8 on the SSD

Formatted the Hitachi drive to Apple Partition Map and set as Time machine drive.

Time machine starts and goes fine until 19.45 GB (out of 45 GB to backup) then stalls. I've reformatted the Hitachi drive and started all over, but the same thing happens each time. I've tried this in a 2x2 and 2x2.7 G5 and same thing happens.

Any ideas on what the issue is or how to solve this? I've let time machine run over night, and it still stalls at the same point.

Thanks for any help!

Yeah, don't use time machine. It blows..

It seems like there might be a hard drive issue. Run Disk Utility

AtmChm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
WI
Start Console and see what it is reporting.

Could be that it is having trouble reading from the SDD not writing to the time machine drive.
Might want to run a desk utility verify on all drives to be sure of integrity.

Here is the console log:

11/30/12 7:45:31 AM com.apple.launchd[1] (0x10a250.mdworker[1590]) Exited with exit code: 1

I get this repetitively with the number in brackets changing with each message. I have no idea what this means. I've done some web search but did not come up with anything.

I agree it is something with the SSD. I tried a different drive for the time machine backup and the same thing happened. I will run disk verify and see if anything is resolved.

Any more thoughts?

Edit: all volumes verified as ok.

AtmChm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
WI
I did try re-indexing. That didn't change anything. Boot disk is set correctly.

In the end, I reformatted the SSD and reinstalled 10.5.8. Now Time machine works fine on first try.

There must have been something wrong with the 10.5 installation. When I repaired permissions in disk utility, it found lot's of issues. After doing that I verified them, and issues where still found, so in the end, I figured reinstalling the OS was the best option.

Thanks for the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.