PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Estimates for New 27-Inch iMac Already Slip to 3-4 Weeks

MacRumors
Nov 30, 2012, 11:53 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/30/shipping-estimates-for-new-27-inch-imac-already-slip-to-3-4-weeks/)

Just hours after Apple began taking orders (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/30/new-imac-now-available-to-order-in-the-u-s/) for the new iMac, shipping estimates (http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/imac) in the company's online store for the stock 27-inch models have slipped from the original 2-3 weeks to 3-4 weeks. Estimates for the stock 21.5-inch models remain at 1-3 days.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/11/2012_imac_27_3_4_weeks.jpg
Supplies of the new iMac are expected to be constrained (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/28/new-imac-and-ipad-mini-to-be-in-short-supply-until-2013/) into 2013 as Apple's suppliers deal with the challenges of producing thinner displays laminated directly to the cover glass, with the larger 27-inch panels being particularly difficult to produce.

Article Link: Shipping Estimates for New 27-Inch iMac Already Slip to 3-4 Weeks (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/30/shipping-estimates-for-new-27-inch-imac-already-slip-to-3-4-weeks/)

losthorse
Nov 30, 2012, 11:54 AM
I can't help but look at the last year and think that Apple is in a decline... so sad.

Tim Cook is said to be an expert at managing the supply chain, so why is it that when I went into my local Apple store this morning there were no iMacs to be seen?

They should not have announced the new iMac until January when they will truly be available.

Apple is still exceptional at setting high expectations, generating buzz about the latest new gizmo, etc. The problem is they are consistently falling short when it comes time to deliver on the hype they created.

Fail.

Spink10
Nov 30, 2012, 11:59 AM
NO - this is lame

Speedy Gonzalez
Nov 30, 2012, 12:06 PM
this smells to apple marketing strategies already :(

apfeljonas
Nov 30, 2012, 12:13 PM
I can't help but look at the last year and think that Apple is in a decline... so sad.

Tim Cook is said to be an expert at managing the supply chain, so why is it that when I went into my local Apple store this morning there were no iMacs to be seen?

They should not have announced the new iMac until January when they will truly be available.

Apple is still exceptional at setting high expectations, generating buzz about the latest new gizmo, etc. The problem is they are consistently falling short when it comes time to deliver on the hype they created.

Fail.
Fail copy and paste.

extricated
Nov 30, 2012, 12:16 PM

I agree with your further assessments, but I don't think Apple is in a decline.

I truly feel they are stumbling in the wake of leadership changes (to include the loss of Steve Jobs). They're also, perhaps, afraid to break the mold of releasing products on a particular schedule.

Of course, I have no basis to know these things, but I would hope Apple is learning from it's recent "issues" and will make the neccessary adjustments in the future.

wlossw
Nov 30, 2012, 12:17 PM
I think that the "production delays" are part of the marketing strategy.

By creating a perception of scarcity they feed into irrational impulse driven demand.

Haven't you noticed how apple devices always "sell out"? They are produced in quantities designed to do so.

The iMac is no different. Hype drives sales. Perceived scarcity builds hype. Very simple.

It makes the people that rush out and blow 3 grand on a desktop computer feel superior for a few days/weeks/months.

I'll tell you when I ordered my rMBP the experience was all the more exciting because I had to wait to have it delivered, and was the only person I knew that had one.

Now you can walk into best-buy and buy one.... it's lost it's exclusivity ;)

thedeejay
Nov 30, 2012, 12:34 PM

By creating a perception of scarcity they feed into irrational impulse driven demand.

Haven't you noticed how apple devices always "sell out"? They are produced in quantities designed to do so.

The iMac is no different. Hype drives sales. Perceived scarcity builds hype. Very simple.

It makes the people that rush out and blow 3 grand on a desktop computer feel superior for a few days/weeks/months.

I'll tell you when I ordered my rMBP the experience was all the more exciting because I had to wait to have it delivered, and was the only person I knew that had one.

I agree with you 100%. I've always thought that as well. But the thing is, because of their amazing Marketing tactics they're one of the top companies. Without their Marketing they'd just be another tech company. Well aside from their retail stores, customer service and superior quality products.

Davi-T
Nov 30, 2012, 12:37 PM
Bought at spec-ed out BTO 27" at 3am in the morning last night. I wouldn't be surprised if 3 - 4 weeks doubles later today.

THOPMedia
Nov 30, 2012, 12:39 PM
Glad I got mine within 1/2 hour of release. 2-3 weeks for me. (However, I am also getting mine shipped from the US to NZ. so that will add a bit of time.

losthorse
Nov 30, 2012, 12:41 PM
Fail copy and paste.

True, but this was a better place for it.

inlinevolvo
Nov 30, 2012, 12:42 PM
The production delays while may create a hype, have been overdone, if used as hype. I add a month to any timeline apple quotes as a product release, and that gives me time to shop around and maybe even decide to just pass.

Friend Trend
Nov 30, 2012, 12:43 PM
Ordered my 27" pimped out custom configuration at 12:54 EST.

Delivery date on the confirmation say 2 Jan - 7 Jan :(

Aluminum213
Nov 30, 2012, 12:43 PM
it was still 2-3 weeks as of 8am EST this morning when I bought it, I must have got lucky :D

jayducharme
Nov 30, 2012, 12:52 PM
(However, I am also getting mine shipped from the CHINA to NZ. so that will add a bit of time.

Fixed for you. ;)

wlossw
Nov 30, 2012, 12:52 PM
The production delays while may create a hype, have been overdone, if used as hype. I add a month to any timeline apple quotes as a product release, and that gives me time to shop around and maybe even decide to just pass.

And after you shop around and find nothing as good what do you do? I waited 6 months until the retina macbook was released... because I knew apple would release something that would blow my pants off... then stayed up all night to order it on release day... knowing I would have to wait... but not wanting to wait any longer than absolutely necessary... because at the end of the day, as long as apple makes the best (maybe not best value :D) products, they know you will buy one eventually if you can afford it.

The threat of scarcity is just to get you off the couch and onto the apple-store website, or into the apple-store. It turns people with money from browsers to buyers. :apple:

Allenbf
Nov 30, 2012, 12:58 PM
Some of you have no clue about how sales and marketing really work.

This isn't a $5 bag of slap bracelets. It's a $2,000 + machine. Scarcity does NOT create more demand, nor an "irrational need to buy." The simple facts are that Apple's demand outweighs it's supply on nearly every product, simply because of resources and a supply chain that can't keep up.

Every potential customer who walks into an Apple store looking to buy iWhatever and walks out empty handed is a potential lost sale. Apple isn't in business to lose out on sales. Common sense

Please take a few Economics/Sales/Marketing courses at your local community college.

inlinevolvo
Nov 30, 2012, 01:06 PM
And after you shop around and find nothing as good what do you do? I waited 6 months until the retina macbook was released... because I knew apple would release something that would blow my pants off... then stayed up all night to order it on release day... knowing I would have to wait... but not wanting to wait any longer than absolutely necessary... because at the end of the day, as long as apple makes the best (maybe not best value :D) products, they know you will buy one eventually if you can afford it.

The threat of scarcity is just to get you off the couch and onto the apple-store website, or into the apple-store. It turns people with money from browsers to buyers. :apple:

Agreed, though the only time I felt said threat was for the iPhone 5. I ordered it the second I got up for work. Really had to get rid of my HTC phone (yuck).

rvenners
Nov 30, 2012, 01:09 PM
Somehow I get the impression that there is a Chinese man somewhere in China furiously mining for metal to build these iMacs while the ghost of Steve Jobs shouts at him to go faster. Apple does seem to be slipping a bit lately. But weren't they always? Perhaps the reality distortion field has just been weakened, so we're seeing more of the truth. Just ordered my new iMac and praying there isn't any horrible over-heating problems or whatnot.

iLondoner
Nov 30, 2012, 01:20 PM
Some of you have no clue about how sales and marketing really work... Please take a few Economics/Sales/Marketing courses at your local community college.

Finally... a sensible comment.

QCassidy352
Nov 30, 2012, 01:38 PM

This isn't a $5 bag of slap bracelets. It's a $2,000 + machine. Scarcity does NOT create more demand, nor an "irrational need to buy." The simple facts are that Apple's demand outweighs it's supply on nearly every product, simply because of resources and a supply chain that can't keep up.

Every potential customer who walks into an Apple store looking to buy iWhatever and walks out empty handed is a potential lost sale. Apple isn't in business to lose out on sales. Common sense

Please take a few Economics/Sales/Marketing courses at your local community college.

Not sure the condescension was necessary, but you are correct.

joesegh
Nov 30, 2012, 01:47 PM
I'm waiting until Anandtech and/or Ars Technica post their reviews, and I get a chance to play with it in-store. January 2013 it is!

wlossw
Nov 30, 2012, 01:54 PM

You're funny... sorry if I used the term "scarcity" :rolleyes: incorrectly... Nevertheless Speaking anecdotally, the discussion of shortage of <insert apple product> does create a whole lot of media coverage and excitement. Also known as free advertising... And Let's not forget that Apple products could probably be considered luxury goods...

Apple does build hype on purpose, they could pre-produce more products before launching, and ensure that all customers were serviced.

And I can speak from personal experience that I have impulse purchased several apple products in order to not have to wait longer as a result of comparison shopping, and returning to find limited stock sold out.

Maybe you're not a member of the target demographic?:eek:

Allenbf
Nov 30, 2012, 02:00 PM
Not sure the condescension was necessary, but you are correct.

Wasn't trying to be condescending, believe me. I just get tired of seeing illogical arguments. And I'm an Econ major so I guess it just really bugs me.

theBB
Nov 30, 2012, 02:02 PM
You're funny... sorry if I used the term "scarcity" :rolleyes: incorrectly... Nevertheless Speaking anecdotally, the discussion of shortage of <insert apple product> does create a whole lot of media coverage and excitement. Also known as free advertising... And Let's not forget that Apple products could probably be considered luxury goods...

There are tons of companies announcing products six months in advance, without generating excitement. Maybe, the excitement is not due to artificial scarcity. Nevertheless, no need to bother yourself with rational arguments, please go on...

Allenbf
Nov 30, 2012, 02:03 PM

Apple does build hype on purpose, they could pre-produce more products before launching, and ensure that all customers were serviced.

And I can speak from personal experience that I have impulse purchased several apple products in order to not have to wait longer as a result of comparison shopping, and returning to find limited stock sold out.

Maybe you're not a member of the target demographic?:eek:

No, I am. And see my above comment, I'm not trying to be condescending. Apple is GREAT at creating hype. But scarcity (in this discussion) isn't about hype, it's about a lack of product. They're doing all they can, but due to huge success, their demand far outweighs initial supply. It's just simple economics.

wlossw
Nov 30, 2012, 02:13 PM
No, I am. And see my above comment, I'm not trying to be condescending. Apple is GREAT at creating hype. But scarcity (in this discussion) isn't about hype, it's about a lack of product. They're doing all they can, but due to huge success, their demand far outweighs initial supply. It's just simple economics.

I guess demand and supply aren't balanced because Apple prices are too low... They should raise prices, and then, they wouldn't run into supply issues... and I wouldn't have to wait in line anymore. 5k iMacs here we come! :D

Jbach67
Nov 30, 2012, 02:20 PM

Surprising, since it wasn't available to order when I checked at 12:30. And when I ordered a semi pimped 27 inch (fusion, 680 GPU, i7) at 3:15am , it still said shipping in 2 to 3 weeks, and my delivery date is Dec 24th to Dec 31st. Hard to believe a 3 TB drive or RAM could be an issue to pushing it a week or two later.

Allenbf
Nov 30, 2012, 02:23 PM
I guess demand and supply aren't balanced because Apple prices are too low... They should raise prices, and then, they wouldn't run into supply issues... and I wouldn't have to wait in line anymore. 5k iMacs here we come! :D

Ah, but then we get into a discussion of Price Elasticity and the availability of substitute goods :D

markcres
Nov 30, 2012, 02:37 PM
New sales pitch:

Apple....giving you yesterday's technology, next month

komodrone
Nov 30, 2012, 04:25 PM

Fail.

you're an expert at complaining.

Rogifan
Nov 30, 2012, 04:32 PM
Why on earth would Apple need to constrain supply to increase hype & demand? I'm sure Tim Cook would rather have people walking out of Apple stores with an iMac in hand rather than being told to come back in 3 weeks. You can't just assume people will wait for the supply and not purchase something else. Anyway would seeing that the iMac is available for deliery right away make someone less likely to purchase than if it has a 4 week shipping delay? :confused:

anutharoundu
Nov 30, 2012, 05:34 PM
For double the graphics card and a better processor I think the extra price is for sure worth it.

http://self-confdence-coach.com/images/54.gif

Ktulu
Nov 30, 2012, 09:50 PM
I have a 2-3 week shipping time and a delivery window of:
Dec 24 - Dec 31

And this is the configuration:
27"
3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
1TB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5
Apple Magic Mouse
Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad (English) & User's Guide

Last check my shipping times had not changed and my delivery times had not changed.

Just FYI for anyone who is keeping track.:D

KojiH
Nov 30, 2012, 10:12 PM
I have a 2-3 week shipping time and a delivery window of:
Dec 24 - Dec 31

And this is the configuration:
27"
3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
1TB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5
Apple Magic Mouse
Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad (English) & User's Guide

Last check my shipping times had not changed and my delivery times had not changed.

Just FYI for anyone who is keeping track.:D

Early this morning I ordered the same configuration as above but with the 3TB fusion drive and have the same window of Dec 24-31.

Haifisch
Nov 30, 2012, 10:12 PM
Do people really expect product rollout at announcement?

I have joined a lot of internet forums and this MR is the whiniest bunch ever.

SchneiderMan
Nov 30, 2012, 10:38 PM
At least Apple let's people put thru their orders unlike Google.

TeachMeiOS.com
Nov 30, 2012, 11:09 PM
Well, it sure didn't take long for the shipping estimates to slip. I think because of this tremendous form factor and the speed increases, they will sell well. In addition, the continued supply chain issues seem to be limiting supplies.

Lancer
Dec 1, 2012, 01:00 AM
I went to a store and place my order today for the top 27" with i7, 680MX and 1Tb Fusion, 3-4 week delay which is what I was expecing. Still hope I get it before the holidays but will not be surprised to see it in the new year.

It's just part of the fun of ordering from Apple right after something new hits the market.

Lancer
Dec 1, 2012, 05:14 AM
New sales pitch:

Apple....giving you yesterday's technology, next month

How is this yesterday's technology?

The CPUs are up to day the graphics are improved and it has USB3, even Apple can't sell something that hasn't gone to market yet, like the next Intel CPUs which won't be around for 3-4 months.

Who knows, now Apple has their new iMac design they might update it with the next CPUs in June. Surely it can't be hard to slot in the new CPUs and better graphics a few months after they are released?

gwsmith
Dec 1, 2012, 08:07 AM
I placed my order at about 4 AM Pacific time on 11/30 and my delivery estimate is Dec. 24-31. Guess I got lucky. I ordered the 27", full specs.

SeattleMoose
Dec 1, 2012, 10:07 AM
There was a stop work put on the release by the marketing department. They were livid when it was revealed that engineering had "slipped" and made the RAM on the larger iMac user upgradeable. So the marketing/business types told Cook to "nail down" the RAM in the 27 so it is not user upgradeable. As the head of marketing said, "let's build this thing so that they have to come to us for EVERYTHING"..."just advertise it as too slim to mess with".

What next?, "plug tolls" so that every time you plug in a new cable (USB, FW, TB, etc.), you must log into the Apple Store and pay the "toll" before the driver for the port is "unlocked"???

Luap
Dec 1, 2012, 10:34 AM

Fail.

Oh well. Unfortunately for you, no one gives a crap about your self opinionated drivel.
10 out of 10 for copy paste skills though. Bravo..

lizardofwoz
Dec 1, 2012, 10:39 AM
I am becoming expert at interpreting AppleSpeak...

Delivery of special order 27" iMacs?

Mid-January, if you are lucky.

iMac, insanely LATE

timcullis
Dec 1, 2012, 11:27 AM
Delivery of special order 27" iMacs? Mid-January, if you are lucky.

So I must really be lucky to have a custom order scheduled for 21 December delivery. :cool:

And with a following wind bringing the tea clippers from China, it might even arrive a few days early.

lizardofwoz
Dec 1, 2012, 01:38 PM
So I must really be lucky to have a custom order scheduled for 21 December delivery. :cool:

And with a following wind bringing the tea clippers from China, it might even arrive a few days early.

Good luck with the Cutty Sark delivery system.

Scheduled is not delivered :)

Eric E. Schmidt
Dec 1, 2012, 09:10 PM
Fixed for you. ;)

fix is wrong

http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/NrhRdAFCS1Ag3BVB.huge

HarryKNN21
Dec 1, 2012, 10:43 PM

Fail.

So what about if they announce the iMac in January and suddenly found out nobody is interested in it anymore because they all bough Dell in 2012 Christmas?

Also many people do want BTO machines over a stock one, Apple use online pre-orders to predict the demand of BTO machines is beneficial to everyone as well and as we know BTO machines do take longer to deliver aren't they?

macs4nw
Dec 2, 2012, 12:40 AM
.....Apple does build hype on purpose, they could pre-produce more products before launching, and ensure that all customers were serviced. And I can speak from personal experience that I have impulse purchased several apple products in order to not have to wait longer as a result of comparison shopping, and returning to find limited stock sold out.....

Yes, they could start manufacturing them 2-3 months earlier, but it would be THAT much harder to keep a 'lid on it' for the competition, and at the speed of technological innovation, you wouldn't get the latest Tech in those products. For any reasonably-minded person, it's almost inconceivable that any company would deliberately hold back supply. I won't deny that it certainly helps to create an artificial 'shortage', but based on the phenomenal success of APPLE's recent history, I simply can't imagine them engineering such a 'shortage'. APPLE is currently the envy of the industry, or should I say, of corporations the world over.

They don't HAVE to resort to such tactics yet, and would rather be selling more products.

See also Allenbf and Rogifan below.

.....The simple facts are that Apple's demand outweighs it's supply on nearly every product, simply because of resources and a supply chain that can't keep up. Every potential customer who walks into an Apple store looking to buy iWhatever and walks out empty handed is a potential lost sale. Apple isn't in business to lose out on sales.....

Why on earth would Apple need to constrain supply to increase hype & demand? I'm sure Tim Cook would rather have people walking out of Apple stores with an iMac in hand rather than being told to come back in 3 weeks. You can't just assume people will wait for the supply and not purchase something else. Anyway would seeing that the iMac is available for delivery right away make someone less likely to purchase than if it has a 4 week shipping delay? :confused:

Do people really expect product rollout at announcement? I have joined a lot of internet forums and this MR is the whiniest bunch ever.

APPLE has spoiled us so much, that some of us, unreasonably expect total perfection. I say the anticipation is half the fun. :)

turtlez
Dec 2, 2012, 01:48 AM
I won't be buying until January. Not keen on paying for something 4 weeks before getting it unless I am tempted with some kind of bonus. By January I will be able to walk into an Apple retail store and walk out 10 minutes later with the iMac without any pre order :D Probably be setting it up at the same time as the pre order people.

WilliamLondon
Dec 2, 2012, 07:14 AM

All these conspiracy theories on Apple's marketing, I'll tell you are simply *not* true.

Any delay in getting a product into the hands of the consumer equates to time the consumer will think about jumping to a competitor's offering. What Apple tries to do (and this is up to debate about whether they do it well) is balance having enough stock to meet day 1 and early demand without spending so much money on warehousing these x million units to meet demand for x time beyond early days post launch. It's a balancing act, and the big point these conspiracies ignore is that logistics and warehousing cost a company a lot of money. Can you imagine how much money is required to ship (from manufacturing) and store (before launch, which is corporate money sitting in a warehouse) millions of product units in warehouses ready for shipment all over the planet? It's not pocket change is all I can say.

The other thing these conspiracies ignore is that the shareholders want one thing - sales. They don't want hype of sales (however you imagine that is realised), they want sales. They don't want to lose customers who have to wait too long after launch, or before - try managing that act. What if they overestimate demand and then have stock sitting in warehouses with no one to buy the items? What if they wait too long to launch (before ideal day 1 stock levels are achieved) and miss an entire selling season with the product? These affects revenue and profit margin.

The whole chain from inception to putting the product in the hands of the consumer is complex and adding a conspiracy into the equation is simply something that doesn't happen.

iPad2lover
Dec 2, 2012, 08:23 PM
Seems like it is much easier to shop online than to purchase in the store. You can't even order it in advance and go to the Apple store to pick it up - message says its not eligible.

kathyricks
Dec 3, 2012, 12:07 AM
They're doing all they can, but due to huge success, their demand far outweighs initial supply. It's just simple economics.
Then what explains the lack of availability of the previous generation iMac at Best Buy and the Apple Stores in October and November? That's two months without hardly any iMacs available at the brick & motar stores! Two months of lost sales. Is it reasonable to think the old iMac was so popular that manufacturing capability could not keep up with demand?

Allenbf
Dec 3, 2012, 09:01 AM
Then what explains the lack of availability of the previous generation iMac at Best Buy and the Apple Stores in October and November? That's two months without hardly any iMacs available at the brick & motar stores! Two months of lost sales. Is it reasonable to think the old iMac was so popular that manufacturing capability could not keep up with demand?

First of all, that isn't accurate in every location. I'm in Tampa, Florida and both Apple stores near me had stock. Same with Best Buy.

Second, that situation has little to do with demand at all. From a business standpoint, Apple chose to wind down stock in order to roll out and focus on the new iMac.

Finally, let's all remember that the iMac hasn't been refreshed in awhile, and it's not Apple's top line product. In other words, they probably decided that they would not miss many sales (they're correct) and would instead just focus on getting the new iMac right.

One more thing: This isn't new for Apple. They have often had little "old stock" on hand when bringing "new stock" out. Many companies do this.

Bottom line, and more on topic, Apple has limited supply of iMacs because there are only so many they can produce in a given period. It isn't because they feel the need to create a "frenzy."

iChrist
Dec 3, 2012, 12:56 PM
There is a reported glue shortage in China. Hopefully this will be resolved soon.

:o

Friend Trend
Dec 3, 2012, 01:53 PM

Surprising, since it wasn't available to order when I checked at 12:30. And when I ordered a semi pimped 27 inch (fusion, 680 GPU, i7) at 3:15am , it still said shipping in 2 to 3 weeks, and my delivery date is Dec 24th to Dec 31st. Hard to believe a 3 TB drive or RAM could be an issue to pushing it a week or two later.

Oops - sorry, to be clear, I ordered at 12:54PM.

The1MadMacs
Dec 5, 2012, 10:35 AM
I got my order in at 7:18AM EDT Nov 30th. After about an hour of consideration, I decided to stop debating with myself and just do it!
I hope that it gets here by the Dec 24th date so I can have several days of uninterrupted time with it.

cb474
Dec 6, 2012, 08:36 PM
I think that differences in delivery dates have to do with what configuration you ordered. If you want an i7 processor on a 27" iMac, it's going to take longer. This may also be true of other made to order configurations. I ordered a 27" iMac with the i7 processor and 3TB (regular) drive, no other modifications, and got a 3-4 week (early January) shipping estimate.

I did notice that at one point the shipping estimates were 4-5 weeks and then reverted to 3-4 weeks. I'm hoping that Apple is giving an outside estimate, but may ship sooner. People are a lot less likely to be annoyed if something comes sooner, rather than later, than expected. So it's in Apple's interest to be conservative with shipping date estimates.

fix is wrong

http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/NrhRdAFCS1Ag3BVB.huge

Yes, made to order Apple products are assembled in the U.S. Pre-configured products are assembled in China. So your iMac will ship from the U.S. (Which makes Apple's recent annoucement that they will assemble products in the U.S. odd, since they've been doing this for a while--here we truly are looking at least in part at marketing hype.)

What's surprising is that products assembled in and shipping from the U.S. take longer even to get to U.S. addresses, than products shipping from China. Perhaps they have to first get the parts from China, then assemble them, then ship them, and that effectively adds a step to the process.

The1MadMacs
Dec 11, 2012, 07:52 AM
Oh yea, checked my email this am around 7:15AM EDT and found a really nice surprise.

MY iMac 27" SHIPPED TODAY!!!!!!!

mikesn5va
Dec 11, 2012, 08:21 AM
Bought at spec-ed out BTO 27" at 3am in the morning last night. I wouldn't be surprised if 3 - 4 weeks doubles later today.

Bought mine spec'ed out at 12:45 am PST on Nov 30 and my credit card was just charged. Expect to see Preparing to Ship status any hour now!

----------

There is a reported glue shortage in China. Hopefully this will be resolved soon.

:o

They should have stayed with the magnets!

Lark.Landon
Dec 15, 2012, 06:13 PM

cb474
Dec 18, 2012, 09:25 PM
Has anyone with a Dec. 3 or later order date gotten a shipping notice yet? What about people who have ordered the i7 processor?

I ordered a 27" i7 on Dec. 3. Just wondering if it might ship earlier than Apple stated (Jan 2 to 8).

Thanks.

Macrovertigo
Dec 19, 2012, 08:44 AM
I ordered my 27" iMac on the day after it was released. At 5:30 am (on 19dec12) I got an email letting me know that it shipped, from China. I ordered it with slight modification, doesn't that mean it was supposed to have been assembled stateside? -not that it matters to me very much as long as it is healthy and happy.
can't wait to do my unboxing video!
Details here for the record -

27-inch iMac
Part Number: Z0MR
With the following configuration:

PROCESSOR 065-0631 2.9GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5

MEMORY 065-0638 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM-2X4GB

HARD DRIVE 065-C0Q6 3TB Fusion Drive

GRAPHICS 065-C0J7 NVIDIAGeFrc GTX660M 512M GDDR5

MOUSE 065-0661 APPLE MAGIC MOUSE

BATTERY CHARGER 065-0671 APPLE BATTERY CHARGER

APPLE KEYBOARD 065-0664 Apple WL Kybd (English)+UG