PDA

View Full Version : Combo drive won't read DVDs

londonweb
Sep 18, 2005, 07:24 AM
I have been reading both data and video dvds for the past week on the ibook G3 I just bought off ebay, and all of sudden this morning it won't read a DVD at all. Cds still work fine, but a dvd just makes a sort of faint scratchy noise and then gets spat out after about 5 seconds. What on earth is going on??

It's an iBook g3 800mhz with a cd-rw/dvd-rom combo drive. A cd doesn't make any odd noises whatsoever and reads fine. I've checked under OS 9.2 and the situation is the same.

Any help very much appreciated!

mad jew
Sep 18, 2005, 07:43 AM
How many different DVDs have you tried because it sounds superficially like a scratched disk problem.

londonweb
Sep 18, 2005, 07:57 AM
I've tried two different video dvds and two different data dvds, two of which worked fine previously- they don't appear to be scratched. I've also just checked and when you spin a cd or a dvd in the tray manually (as the mac support site suggested to do), it spins freely with no play or scratching noises...Cds also appear to be burning fine

topgunn
Sep 18, 2005, 08:06 AM
Are they all DVD-R's that someone has burned or are they "real" DVD movies?

londonweb
Sep 18, 2005, 08:09 AM
Are they all DVD-R's that someone has burned or are they "real" DVD movies?

The data ones are ones that have been burned on a powerbook by a colleague of mine (they are memorex branded DVD-R). I have also tried a few video dvds from my collection (all of them 'real' shop-bought) and they don't work either.