PDA

View Full Version : iBook G3 screen issues

mshinoda22
Nov 30, 2012, 02:29 PM
Im running an iBook g3 700mhz 128 RAM 20gb HDD with Jaguar and Im having somme display issues. When i turn it on the whole screen will be showing things during the start up but when it finally boots os x, the display cuts down to about a third of the screen. I can see everything on the screen, its not cutting anything out, it is just working like its a 4" screen rather than a 12" screen. Anybody have any ideas how to correct this?

MisterKeeks
Nov 30, 2012, 04:17 PM
Though I'm typing this on one right now, the iBook G3s were notorius for issues with the video card. The GPU would lose contact with the logic board, and you would get screen problems. Try pressing down on the right palmrest when it starts up.

4JNA
Nov 30, 2012, 04:45 PM
although these did have a huge video chip issue, this sounds like a defective cable or lcd to me. i place a $1 bet on the lcd being the problem.

based on fixing hundreds of systems, several with the same issue. best of luck.

MisterKeeks
Nov 30, 2012, 04:51 PM
although these did have a huge video chip issue, this sounds like a defective cable or lcd to me. i place a $1 bet on the lcd being the problem.

based on fixing hundreds of systems, several with the same issue. best of luck.

In some ways, it seems like it could be a driver issue, but I don't think that is really possible.

4JNA
Nov 30, 2012, 05:05 PM
In some ways, it seems like it could be a driver issue, but I don't think that is really possible.

actually, since you posted it, i've seen that as well. not really driver per-say, but a failing hard drive that caused a video issue as the 'driver' or .kext must have been on the spot that died. new drive, reloaded, all better.

still believe this to be a failing lcd panel. best of luck.

mshinoda22
Dec 1, 2012, 01:28 AM
thanks everybody, i will try all the tips and if i have to i will put a different hdd in it as i have one in my possession

MisterKeeks
Dec 1, 2012, 09:38 PM
thanks everybody, i will try all the tips and if i have to i will put a different hdd in it as i have one in my possession

Actually, it might the right palmrest that you should try, though it looks like that's no the issue.

mshinoda22
Dec 1, 2012, 10:07 PM
Actually, it might the right palmrest that you should try, though it looks like that's no the issue.

I did try the pressin down on the palmrest thing and that didnt work, im gonna try replacing the hard drive next and see if that does the trick

mshinoda22
Dec 1, 2012, 10:59 PM
actually, since you posted it, i've seen that as well. not really driver per-say, but a failing hard drive that caused a video issue as the 'driver' or .kext must have been on the spot that died. new drive, reloaded, all better.

still believe this to be a failing lcd panel. best of luck.

I changed the hard drive and it still didnt work, looks like it is probably the lcd panel

MisterKeeks
Dec 2, 2012, 10:30 AM
I changed the hard drive and it still didnt work, looks like it is probably the lcd panel

Did you reinstall the OS?

mshinoda22
Dec 3, 2012, 01:50 AM
Did you reinstall the OS?

yeah, its still having the same issue so im gonna have to change the lcd panel or something, yay for me lol