Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vipzz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
Hi all,

This is my first post here...And probably not a really good one :(

about three days ago i got my PB out of the closet where i let her sleep overnight...to take her with me to work...When i arrived there it suddenly did not boot up anymore...Just black screen and DVD / HDD are powered...

I treat my PB as if she's made out of glass...So i'm allways gentle with her...

It worked the day before when i ejected a DVD i wanted to watch in open firmware so i issued the commands:
eject cdrom
shut-down

and now its dead...

I already tried the following:

Let it sleep in the closet for 2 nights without battery...
Reset the PMU using the SHIFT + CONTROL + ALT + POWER buttons...
I can't even reset the PRAM as i only get a black screen...I tried though...But as expected...no go...
As i thought it perhaps had something to do with open firmware i issued a few commands (blind because i can't see anything)
so i tried:
reset-nvram
reset-all

but nothing happened...(it should do powercycle after the last command but the dvd remained silent)

I tried without memory and it beeps telling me there's no memory...I tried both memory modules seperately on both the upper and lower slot...No go...
I tried without airport extreme card inside...No go...

I'm out of ideas...anyone???

Now here's the real problem...
I bought this machine just one month before apple made the new ones (with trackpad scrolling)
I bought it off ebay from someone who tried mac but wanted PC after all... :confused: that seems to happen a lot...

It a full optioned G4 1.5GHz (superdrive 80gig hdd and so on) this machine then cost 2280 EUR(!!!) where i live (holland)

So when i got the option of getting it less than one month old for just a little under 2000 new in the box i did it...

now i did get the papers for warranty but they got lost in the proces of moving from one place to another...

So where to get my warranty now if needed??! I'm seeing lots of horror stories about logic boards failing and price tags well over $600 which i definately can't afford right now :(

The machine is now roughly 3 months old!!!!!!!! If the logic board is really broken i'm really disappointed in apple (which i allways supported / defended for as long as i know they exist)

So my next question is:

As i can't afford to replace the logic board if i have to pay for it i think i'll have to sell it!

What's the price i can ask???

I'm really desperate...Anyone please...

Cheers...

Vipzz

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
If its just three months old then you are covered under the original warranty. Would highly recommend getting AppleCare though. You shouldn't have any problem at all getting it fixed. Apple can determine eligibility by your serial number. If at an Apple Store they just scan in it and it gives them the information on your Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.