Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidc2182

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2001
Sin City
I created this thread to ask a question, and to me its important. Which is the best Apple compatible PDA? is it one of the newtons? is it a Palm of some sort? I personally want to know because I have an iBook and i cant stand any laptops anymore first I had a dell, and now an Apple, i thought it was the OS but it was the actual machine, I'm planning on getting a new imac but i need something to take notes on in class, so someone please help me choose which pda would be best for a student on a limited budget, IE would be purchasing off of e-bay :)

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
Palm

Palm is currently the most commpatable with any Mac. I dont even think that the Neton is compatable... due to its age, lack of support, and the fact that its dead. Windows CE run PDAs will be able to connect to a Mac shortly. Some one has a beta verion of a util that will make it work. Its not out yet.. but soon. Palm desktop for OS 9 works great. The verion for OS X is still beta and its not that great yet. I hear that Palm some accetently released the beta verion before it was ready to even go beta... and thats why its not that great yet.

as for which Palm?? I would go for a 105m or a 125m. Your on a buget so... that is probably your best bet. stay away from the 100m. You only get 2MB and no upgrad possible. I think the 125 comes with 16MB and you can get flash memory cards for it and expand. I think the 105m comes with 8MB.

Any one hear anything about the Sharp PDA that runs Linux?? It looks really good and has a built in terminal!! I would love to get it... but only if i can interface with my Mac. Any word on support for that???

colocolo

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2002
Santiago, Chile
Using a PDA to take notes in class may not be very comfortable, according to my own experience. I'd stick with the laptop for that purpose.

If, on the other hand, you pretend to use it to make small notes (not TAKE notes, see the difference) and to keep your agenda, i would get a palm mseries probably.

davidc2182

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2001
Sin City
yeah i could wait

yea i could wait for the new apple PDA but see there is no direct evidence its in development, yet apple has not released a statement to the press that the iwalk was bunk, and personally i think it was because they have to come up with a better name than iwalk, i mean seriously, beyond that the reason i like the newton is because of the sheer size of the thing, as for taking notes on a pda i would be using an external keyboard for that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.